Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

DM: Switzerland considers legalising COCAINE: Politicians declare 'the war on drugs has failed'

China

Switzerland considers legalising COCAINE: Politicians declare 'the war on drugs has failed'

Switzerland's capital is examining a pilot scheme to allow the sale of cocaine for recreational use - a radical approach to the war on drugs that is not thought to have been tried elsewhere.

The Parliament in Bern has supported the idea, which still needs to overcome opposition from the city government and will also require a change in national law.

Drugs policy around the world is evolving, with the U.S. state of Oregon, for example, decriminalising possession of small amounts of cocaine in 2021 in favour of drug treatment.

Many European countries, including Spain, Italy and Portugal, no longer have prison sentences for possession of drugs including cocaine, although nowhere has gone as far as the proposal under discussion in Bern.

Switzerland is re-examining its stance on the drug after some politicians and experts criticised complete bans as ineffective, with the proposal - currently in its early stages - following trials now under way to permit the legal sale of cannabis.

'The war on drugs has failed, and we have to look at new ideas,' said Eva Chen, a member of the Bern council from the Alternative Left Party who co-sponsored the proposal.

Click on the link for the full article

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

I'm all for decriminalization and true legalization of certain drugs that are less addictive then others.

I'm not sure putting something like cocaine, which can totally be turned into Crack, on the shelves for people to buy is the best way to go.

I mean, lottery tickets have gambling helpline in the back of the and even sports betting commercials are mixing in play responsibly settings.  But that's not nearly as addictive as some of these drugs that are out here now like Crystal Meth...we sure we want to experiment with folks trying it recreationally?

*A Scanner Darkly has entered the chat...

Edited by Renegade7
  • Thumb up 1

Allowing the commercialization of something like cocaine would be a big mistake.  Decriminalization, especially for addicts, I completely support.  Now, legalization doesn't necessarily mean they are allowing commercialization, but in the US every move legalize things that were illegal/greatly restricted (gambling, mamajuana, etc.) has come with commercialization.

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

20 minutes ago, PeterMP said:

Allowing the commercialization of something like cocaine would be a big mistake.  Decriminalization, especially for addicts, I completely support.  Now, legalization doesn't necessarily mean they are allowing commercialization, but in the US every move legalize things that were illegal/greatly restricted (gambling, mamajuana, etc.) has come with commercialization.

I think commercializing something that carries the (small) risk of death by using it just once will be pretty difficult because the first time someone dies from it the business is over… and I don’t think cigarette type disclosures will allow them to skirt liability.

• Thumb up 1

32 minutes ago, PeterMP said:

I'm calling it mamajuana from now on. 

• Haha 3
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Did you make it to the Domino Club up in the rain forest with the Beer drinking Pigs when you were here?

They make some Trini Brush Rum and it's called Mamajuana. I'm going up there to drink today.

Not this last time, but I did back in the 90s when my buddy and I were there.   I'll never forget the pigs shotgunning beers.  We'd seen the cigarette smoking chimp in PR just before that (thankfully they put a stop to that one). 

Wound up the day seeing a green flash in Fredericksburg sitting at a bar table with a couple roughnecks and Bill Murray and his wife.  Awesome time 

Hope you have fun up there today.  

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

So the home city of the Canton of my great grandfather is going to try legalizing it. 

As an experienced user, both in the nose and arm, I think it's a bad idea. If they want to decriminalize it that's one thing. I wasn't an in the arm user for long because it got very expensive and was too good. In the nose, it was great but you tend to use more and more for the same high.

Been off it for a couple of decades and I'm glad I didn't ruin my heart and lungs.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1

I also think it's a bad idea.
Coke is highly addictive, and it's sole benefit is to make you think you are WAY more interesting than you are, and then of course, the instant jones.

Did my time with it. Laid awake in bed trying to sleep after a night of it feeling my heart racing a lot. Always wanting more, waking up thinking about where I'm getting some today and when.
The War on Drugs has failed, but legalizing dangerous hard drugs is total capitulation.

~Bang

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1