Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Next Day Thread: Dolphins are Mammals

KDawg

8 hours ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Spot on.

It’s been the same every week and it’s truly unbelievable that EB has no answers for it.  I understand the lack of talent on the OL because I have eyes.  But good god almighty, every team is doing pretty much the same thing and EB never has answers.  Unbelievably believable.

I can't understand why they NEVER use tempo.  

Every team in the league goes to basically their "tempo" tendency on defense.  You should know what that is, and how to attack it.  

They never use tempo.  And NEVER have.  Gibbs I, Norv, Marty, Spurrier, Gibbs II (with and without Al Saunders), Zorn, Shanahan, Jay/McVay, Scott Turner and now EB. 

It's like the stadium is allergic to our team using tempo.

It's ok when other teams do it, though. I remember Peyton bringing the Colts in for I believe the first ever Homecoming game in 2010, and they ran that offense at super-high-speed and scored 6 million points.  

I was hopeful with the EB hire because I thought he could run a very innovative Reid style offense.

I think he's Zorn.  He knows the WCO concepts and has no idea how to adapt.  

6 hours ago, srtman04 said:

That perfectly illustrates how much Andrew Wylie sucks and if he even belongs in the NFL at this point.  This is unbelievably high school level bad.  

There are A LOT of HS football programs who you just insulted and would like to have a word because they are better coached and wouldn't let that fly.

If you said that in Texas small football town you probably would be murdered for suggesting their RT was as bad as Wylie.  

:P

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, justice98 said:

It is amazing how a so-called leader would be so blunt to say something like that out loud in the media.  

Sounds like he's just hedging his bets to see what staff are brought in in January. If it's more of the same I don't blame him, though I'm thinking the new staff is going to at least be promising.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, justice98 said:

It is amazing how a so-called leader would be so blunt to say something like that out loud in the media.  

I soured a bit on his antics a while ago.  He's not good enough and doesn't elevate anybody.  It's also pretty clear he had no interest in actually working with Chase and Montez.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, justice98 said:

He is unplayable at this point.  He is that bad.  

We need to keep him in there then as the goal has now changed to losing every week without getting Sam killed. A catch 22 situation for sure. Maybe it's time RR called the offense too? Have him call everything. 

33 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

We need to keep him in there then as the goal has now changed to losing every week without getting Sam killed. A catch 22 situation for sure. Maybe it's time RR called the offense too? Have him call everything. 

I’m not even sure if we know whether he actually called the D this weekend. It doesn’t seem as if he did, despite being in defensive meetings all week. It’s absurd but he wasn’t wearing a headset and there was talk that he was letting the inexperienced DB coach dip his toes in the water. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Conn said:

I’m not even sure if we know whether he actually called the D this weekend. It doesn’t seem as if he did, despite being in defensive meetings all week. It’s absurd but he wasn’t wearing a headset and there was talk that he was letting the inexperienced DB coach dip his toes in the water. 

Yeah, I was being sarcastic, supposedly he dumped the play calling duties on some kid so as he didn't have to take the heat after Tyreek and company toasted us.

1 hour ago, Conn said:

To me, that’s complete a F U to everyone - ownership, the fans and the locker room.

• Thumb up 1

14 hours ago, Going Commando said:

Nah man, this is coping.  Do you think for a second that the 49ers would have dealt off Bosa for a song after he hurt his knee and tried to justify it as some sort of savvy move to avoid a ticking time bomb?  We don't really know anything about Chase's knee, or how long he'll be able to play.  What we do know is that our line was the only part of the defense that worked somewhat well, and losing Chase and Montez has completely destroyed our ability to generate pressure with our front four.  Now we're stuck running desperate blitzes that got absolutely smoked the past two weeks and we get 40 burgers dropped on us. Meanwhile both the Bears and 49ers defenses have massively improved in performance since the deadline, and they are loving their new toys.  We got our pockets picked and now have to start over on building the defensive line and our ability to generate pressure from the edge, instead of using our massive amount of cap space to shortcut that process with in house talent next year.  The best defenses continuously add high end DL talent no matter the cost.  Here our gump ass front office, local media, and fanbase **** about over investing in a DL with four good players in it, when the Eagles and 9ers have like eight.  Not only that, those four players were the only good players on the whole defense, and we have 90 ****ing million dollars in cap space next year.

Anyone who thinks Chase isn't having an impact in San Francisco should read this article about their pass rush since he showed up: https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/39014202/san-francisco-49ers-pass-rush-improving-three-game-win-streak

The 49ers are sharp dealers and they exploited our collapsing franchise again to get a premium talent for a song.  That knee **** was how they leveraged us into making a bad deal, the real dynamic they were exploiting was another personality conflict with a star player and an unstable front office situation in the middle of a transition.  It is the same damn thing they did to us in 2020 with Trent.  Teams like the 49ers are super intentional and don't treat draft picks like found money to gamble with.  They use them strategically in a relentless effort to improve their roster.  They wanted Chase and had a plan for him and have basically turned around their pass rush with three changes, going from ~25th in pass rush win rate to top five since the deadline.  And the biggest and most consequential change they made was adding Chase, as the other change to stop blitzing was a downstream consequence of getting him.  Now that defense is flying around and killing teams, and they just dominated the line of scrimmage against the team who was supposed to be the best at that in the NFL.

The 49ers farmed us and the Panthers to build the best roster in the league this year.  There isn't any silver lining in this for us.  It's just a strong and ultra competitive franchise taking advantage of terrible franchises. It's just us being so weak and unstable that we find it necessary to lie to ourselves that this was the best outcome available to us, so that we might avoid facing the reality of how bad we are.

Actually this sounds like the cope from someone who was overly attached to another under-performing "star" that never lived up the hype, who is now best served as a cheerleader on the sideline for over half the snaps on defense in San Francisco.  Oh, Chase Young is helping their defense? Fantastic, except he wasn't drafted to help everyone else, he was the #2 overall pick that was supposed to be the generational talent to build around on defense, but now he will settle into a part-time support role when someone on the 49ers D-line needs a Gatorade break.  Give me a break. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3
  • Thumb up 1

Young plays half the snaps on defense for the 9ers. I'm not sure how much of an impact he's really making. Their sack #s going up are due to the fact that everyone is healthy now for the 9ers and normal progression to the mean.

Sweat has improved the Bears. He's a good player for sure. But their pass rush was horrendous before he got there, its only natural he'd improve them. At the end of the day, he's still not worth $25 mil a year. At least, he wasn't gonna be for us. Getting a top 40 pick for him is great value.

At the end of the day our defense with the "vaunted" four first round picks wasn't amounting to much. They routinely were invisible against the good teams and only took over games against bad QBs/OLs. It was time to blow it up and recoup whatever we could. for them.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Just fired up Hard Knocks to see what gets said about the Commanders.

Of all the young hot shots, McDaniel is the most surprising to me as far as being able to lead a group of men.

I think the players see him as a buddy (you could see that on the sidelines). My guess is Fangio is more the leader of men

I think you can win with the rah rah tough guy. You just need results or have won previously with that attitude. I imagine guys like Eric B who don’t get results and who may come across as an ass have a hard time leading. If he knew what he was doing and had people believing, they would put up with it.

Edited by Fan since a Fetus
  • Like 1

On 12/4/2023 at 4:58 PM, Voice_of_Reason said:

So, after listening to some podcasts, and thinking back on the game, here's where I land on several topics:

- The offensive line is a complete and total mess.  There were some who said it was going to be a mess, with 2 new starters and another guy in a new spot I wanted to see it.  Well, several weeks ago I said I was convinced.  It is a mess. Yesterday, however, I think it was a special kind of hot mess.  Across the board.  It also looked like Fangio just used some of the "Wink" packages and pressures, and we still can't block them up.  That's bad.  Both from a player and a coaching perspective.  

- Andrew Wylie had maybe his worst game of the season.  He was just abused the entire game.  Directly led to at least one, maybe 2 sacks. To say that he was terrible would be an insult to terrible things. If he gets a PFF grade over 0, then they should shut PFF down.  

- Speaking of Wylie, I also think he might have had some responsibility on the pick-6.  He just let the LB run right by him without touching him.  Sam was "catch and throw."  There's virtually no read, you just throw. Sam said this, and one of the podcasters said the same thing.   And you don't expect an untouched LB running through the gap between the RG and RT.  It looks like Cosmi was doing "something." Wylie was literally just standing there.   If Lucas is not starting at RT next week, I honestly have no idea what any of the coaches are looking at.  Hell, I think that Shen guy should make a call and say, "Yeah, from an analytical perspective, when your guy loses 100% of the time, that's bad." 

- After the pick-6, Rivera gave up. They went even more run heavy than they were before, and they never went hurry up.  They didn't really try anything different on defense.  They just sorta turtled and took their beating as best as they could.  It was despicable.  Ron said coming out of the half they had to commit to the run game.  Down 31-7.  

- I'll say it again.  THEY NEVER WENT HURRY UP.  They never used tempo.  There was no urgency.  No desire to win.  Ron and EB just gave up after the pick 6 and hoped to keep it close.  Which also failed.  

- From an emotional fan perspective, I'd just fire Ron and EB now.  Why not? But that's not the smart thing to do.  And Josh knows that.  So, Josh won't do that.  However, I'm sure the entire football operation side has booked movers for early January because they all know they are about to get whacked.  

- The play calling was complete crap the entire game.  It seemed a little more like a Turner offensive game plan: a lot of running and then longer developing plays.  The runs actually worked reasonably well.  The passing game was stuck in the mud.  Partially due to the OL being horrific. I think the Dolphins got into their head on Tuesday.  And it showed. Did 

- Did I mention how bad the OL was?  It was horrific.  Wylie especially.  

- The defense stinks.  All of it.  It needs to be totally torn down to the studs and start over.  There are no salvageable parts.  Payne will be here next year due to contract situation.  Not 1 other player on the defense should be.  I'm sure Martin and Forbes will be, but it's doubtful either should be.  Butler is terrible. The luckiest guy in the building is Forrest who got hurt early enough this debacle can't be pinned on him.  

- I'm so sick and tired of hearing Jon Allen pop off about whatever the hell he pops off about after a loss.  Be the change you want to see in the world.  He's a leader.  Do something about it.  This team has no leaders.  Terry tries.  But that's about it.  They need to trade Allen for the best they can get and move on from him. 

- The acquisition of talent has been abysmal.  Across the board terrible.  

- Logan Thomas is done. 

- Dotson had another drop.  My guy has REALLY has to stop dropping the ball.  

- I really wish Stromboli could come back and play. It would be good to see if he can be part of the solution next year.  

- I don't know if Sam is the guy or not.  I do know that they need 4 new OL starters, another RB, a starting TE, at least 1, if not 2 starting WRs, and an entire defense.  Unless Howell completely poops the bed the last 4 weeks, I think the prudent thing to do is to figure out the rest of the roster instead of picking a QB and then forcing him to learn with a roster of untalented ass clowns.  I get if we somehow end up with a top 3 pick and one of the top 2 QBs is sitting there, that's hard to pass up.  If that's the best player on your board, then you pick them.  Though I would try and trade down and grab another couple 1sts because they need literally everything.

- From this point in, I don't want them to run the ball ever. Ok, that's an exaggeration.   Every remaining snap should be focused on getting Sam experience and snaps. Running the ball 25 - 30 times a game from here on out doesn't help at all. Sam is capable of turning around and handing the ball off.  The season is in Sam Howell Development Mode.  Forget if you like running the ball or not from a competitive perspective. I know Robinson can run the ball, Gibson won't be back, and Rodriguez looks like he is ok.  Now that we've established that, put Robinson on IR.  End his season.   Elevate somebody from the practice squad.  Throw on just about every play.  Use quick game, tempo, moving pockets, whatever you have to, but Sam should have between 40-50 attempts minimum per game, minimum, the rest of the season.  We're not trying to win.  If he goes 19-50 for 175 yards and 3 INTs, who cares? Just get the reps.  

A few notes on people who cover the team:

- Logan Paulsen can't bring himself to admit the OL is terrible and has been terrible. That's a tough look for my guy.

- Bram was saying last week he knows Rivera wants to be around and would really like to see the team turn it around rather than lose and get better draft position.  I'm curious to see how he reacts today.  He said he was expecting a loss but a closer loss.  That didn't pan out.

- Jay went on Standig's podcast last week after Jack got fired and was waxing poetic about defensive coordinators, and slammed Ron for hiring and retaining Jack.  That was rich coming from the guy who retained Haz, hired Barry and then fired Barry to promote Manusky.  Jay trolling Ron is funny. But he was a suck coach who should have been fired 3 years before he was fired and he should probably keep his assclown mouth shut.  And if somebody hasn't replied to his tweet about the culture changing with the animated gif of his nipple being tweaked, they should. The rehab job done on that fool's image by Sheehan, Galdi and Standig is appalling.  And I like Galdi.  

I believe PFF liked Wylie's game, gave him solid grades in the 60's for both Pass and Run blocking. (I disagree with that...as we all do, obviously)

6 hours ago, method man said:

I think the players see him as a buddy (you could see that on the sidelines). My guess is Fangio is more the leader of men

This is completely wrong. The players seem him as a goofball but a guy who puts in time, cares about them off the field and on, and takes time to work with them versus yell and scream. 

McDaniels is 100% a leader. 

• Like 1

On 12/4/2023 at 5:02 PM, justice98 said:

Exactly, trade anyone and everyone who doesn't want to be here. Their negativity will drag this team down/is dragging this team down. Time for a real overhaul. Just like Miami did a few years ago trade everyone and anyone no one is off limits. Stack up draft capital. Spend heavily and smartly in free agency. Use the draft capital to add lots of young talent or to trade up for that " Superstar" generational talent. 

44 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

image.thumb.png.95669d056172ca51c2ea2a99c93a4dd2.png

I guess we could have been in both the "ass ass" category and the "forgot they exist" bye week category. But when you give up records to every team you play your always relevant to the conversation. The days of frisky and fun seem a long time ago.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1
  • Thumb up 1

15 hours ago, Always A Commander Never A Captain said:

I believe PFF liked Wylie's game, gave him solid grades in the 60's for both Pass and Run blocking. (I disagree with that...as we all do, obviously)

I have taken a ton of heat because I have stated over and over and over the PFF grades are basically pure 10 day old smelly fermented trash.  

Just like the self promoting ass hat who owns them.  

Wylie was objectively awful in that game.  

If your analysis doesn’t come to that conclusion, your analysis is flawed.  

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

10 hours ago, KDawg said:

This is completely wrong. The players seem him as a goofball but a guy who puts in time, cares about them off the field and on, and takes time to work with them versus yell and scream. 

McDaniels is 100% a leader. 

Unquestionably.  

There is a clip of him walking down the field, looking at his play sheet, and saying, "I'm fighting myself, and myself is winning."  

It's a goofy thing to say, but what it shows is in an incredible amount of self awareness. 

I love the quote.  

He's extremely relatable, but also you can tell he demands attention to detail.  

• Like 1