Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Per Rappaport, Jack Del Rio/ Vieselmeyer Fired. Ron will run defense for rest of Season

Reaper Skins

My take on Del Rio is he is a competent, but mediocre DC.   Coming into this season, I would have probably given him a B for the first three seasons here.  In each of those seasons, I thought the defense was better than the offense.   I think his ultimate demise was when Chris Harris left.  The defense he wanted to play this year, the Fangio scheme with a lot of zone match requires more communication amongst the DB's than any other coverage scheme.  Harris was a good coach, the type of DB coach you need if you want to run a zone match scheme.  I think we downgraded the DB coaching position and the secondary went from solid, especially the second half of last year, to the worst in the league.

I think Del Rio was also hurt by being a little vanilla.  I am not well versed on x's and o's, but from listening to the beat reporters who said we were pretty vanilla in our pressure looks and listening to podcasts with an analytical bent (NFL podcasts, not on the Commanders specifically), which emphasize the importance of disguising things and giving different looks because you can scheme pressures that way, I think we lost production on the whole by being so vanilla.

• Like 3

Just now, Voice_of_Reason said:

Joe Barry is the worst DC in rhe history of the NFL and it’s not that close.  

How the hell we went from Haz to Barry to Manusky to Del Rio is wild.

At least Del Rio had 2 years where the defense ended well.  None of the rest of them can say that.  

Low bar but Del Rio is the best of the worst. 

Glad he’s gone though I’m not sure I care that much about the timing 

Makes you long for the days of Greg Blache. Boring Ds but they never got lit up this bad.

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, DJHJR86 said:

This is why he decided to do it now, and not after getting embarrassed by Buffalo.  He's only doing it to save his own skin.  Why people cannot see that and think this is something worthy of jubilant celebration is beyond me.  No celebrating until the entire staff (and all of that cancer Snyder hired) are gone.

I don’t see any jubilant celebration.  I think you’re trying to talk something into existence which isn’t there

• Like 4
  • Thumb up 3

Just now, Warhead36 said:

Makes you long for the days of Greg Blache. Boring Ds but they never got lit up this bad.

Blache was bad too, though what made him look worse is he came right after Gregg Williams.  Who was a male anatomy sharing the name of rooster but a hell of a good DC.  

1 minute ago, DJHJR86 said:

Might want to check on Commanders Twitter.

Twitter is filled with ignorant dumb asses who know nothing.  

Id rather give myself a paper cut and pour lemon juice on it than check Twitter. 

• Haha 2
  • Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

2 minutes ago, NoVaSkins21 said:

Rivera coordinating this defense is going to be so comical.  He’s going to be more clueless than he was before 

Eh.  I’m not entirely sure about that.  The question is how much muscle memory he retained.  He was a very good coordinator in San Diego.  

If I’m right, and I’m never wrong, a stuffed Toucan would be better than Del Rio.  I think Ron is going to be an improvement 

• Haha 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

29 minutes ago, Fred Jones said:

This is just the beginning.  It is clear Harris and Co. will clean house at the end of the season.  With all that has been reported, getting rid of RR now doesn't really make any sense.

Just have to be patient.  And for me, it is all about the GM or the person in charge of acquiring talent.  Since the Dan bought the team that has been the single point of failure.  Yes, we have had some bad coaches, but the drafting, FA pickups and such has really been the biggest issue.

Have to wait and see who they bring in.  I am hoping young and up and comer.  And please no BB as the coach.  He is a bad GM.

You’d only get rid of Riviera if you thought Beimeny was the future clearly Josh Harris does not.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 2

2 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Eh.  I’m not entirely sure about that.  The question is how much muscle memory he retained.  He was a very good coordinator in San Diego.  

If I’m right, and I’m never wrong, a stuffed Toucan would be better than Del Rio.  I think Ron is going to be an improvement 

image.png.ff666bac1df084a2b04766cb4a0287c2.png

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

He can not coach and you think Ron is going to be an improvement at defense?

3 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Remains to be seen about what he’s got left in the tank 

Edited by NoVaSkins21

3 minutes ago, KWilliamsAWinfield said:

He can not coach and you think Ron is going to be an improvement at defense?

Some of the worst coaches are the best coordinators who got over-promoted. Norv, Wade, Zimmer, and Fangio are all recent examples. Ron's been a head coach for over a decade though, so hard to tell how well he can get back in the old groove.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

3 minutes ago, LadySkinsFan said:

However called that shotgun on 4th and 1 should be fired too. We've had a few of those and they always fail when a 1 yard rush and push should have worked. If it's EB, I say 1 and done.

It’s def him. And he’s gonna keep doing it cause….?????

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, Simmsy said:

Its what I wanted, but I don't feel happy about it anything...it means nothing. As it was already said, Del Rio is the sacrificial lamb for Rivera to try to save his job. Way too little, way too late. Bye, bye, Ronnie boy!

The only way I see Ron not losing his job is if they win all their remaining games and decisively and that ain't happening Cap'n. 

• Like 1

As a coach I always have a hard time when coaches get fired. But as a coach who spends a ton of time on coaching and makes around $.03 an hour (not a joke) I am happy that these guys at least make millions.

1 minute ago, Csup said:

This is a petty move.  Does Rivera think this will save his job? What’s the point?

Well, Harris made him… soooo…