Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Moving Towards our Future Front Office and Coaching Hires. All the Way to the Water Boy - Adam Peters Hired as GM! The Mighty Quinn is HC Kliff Kingsbury as OC. Joe Whitt jr at DC.

Koolblue13

13 hours ago, Going Commando said:

It's surreal how many talented people want to work here.  They're straight making up coaching jobs now just to get anyone with football expertise on the payroll.

Lots of media commenting on "all the really good hires" as well as "how many talented people seem to want to work here now."

What an absolute turnaround in buzz about this destination. Hopeful the same effect starts to manifest asap in the fa player category. Also, have to say I'm trying to not heed any "winning the off season again" echoes I have in my head from our traumatic past. 😁

Haven't caught up with the threads but noted the positive reviews about the new f.o. in several articles  that were praising the hire of the Alabama guy (defensive asst.) and another addition yesterday for tight end coach I think.

Been occupied so not really following the team closely the last 48 hrs.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

16 minutes ago, CommanderInTheRye said:

In my day we called it an executive secretary or a bit later, administrative assistant.

Critical role.

Basically an extra right hand to take care of some of the more minor tasks as needed. Frees up Dan to handle the bigger picture and not over exert himself. He mentioned that was something he learned in his review of his time in Atlanta.

• Like 3
  • Thumb up 1

19 minutes ago, Bifflog said:

https://www.nfl.com/news/next-woman-up-sarah-hogan-assistant-director-of-coaching-operations-falcons

Next Woman Up: Sarah Hogan, Assistant Director of Coaching Operations for the Atlanta Falcons

Published: Jun 06, 2022 at 01:13 PM

How did you get your start in a career in football?

My start is a little unique. My dad, Greg Gigantino, is a college football coach, so right off the bat, I had a natural way of interacting with players and coaches because I grew up around them. My true start was in college at James Madison University. I started working in the football office, volunteering for four years, and it felt natural for me to be around the team and help them. Then I was fortunate that the college where my dad coached at the time, Hofstra, is where the New York Jets had training camp. I interned with the Jets for a few summers.

I worked for the scouting department, and I actually came away from that internship wanting to work in community relations. I went to school to get my masters in campus recreation before realizing I wanted to work in athletics. I went to the University of Maryland and that was where I actually discovered the position of director of football operations. After that, I had the opportunity to get my foot in the door at Northeastern with my first full-time position.

What did your first full-time job in football operations entail and how did you work your way to the Falcons?

That initial position was the administrative assistant for the football team at Northeastern. At the time, they had the defensive coordinator doing team travel and another guy doing road meals. The things they had coaches doing were ridiculous, so it made sense for me to do all of the background stuff so they could focus on coaching and recruiting. My first year I really learned how to do everything. Then it was all on me. I scheduled recruiting weekends and trips and even some marketing. I wanted to get familiarized with everything in the athletic department.

Northeastern cut the football program in 2009 and then I got the DFO job at Georgia State University. Then I came to the Falcons after five years through a family connection, then head coach Dan Quinn. I started in the scouting department in Atlanta, so a lot of the stuff I had done in college transferred over because I was doing a ton of the travel for the scouts, assistant general manager, setting up pro day visits and working with the schools. It was a great first job in the NFL because I learned a ton about how the organization worked.

In January 2016, Coach Quinn asked me if I wanted to help with head coach operations because his assistant left. So I directly supported him and my role expanded. I helped wherever I could. That role is way different than it is now because I really wanted to take a lot of things off the coaches' plate so they could focus on football.

So, essentially, you built your role to what it is in the Falcons organization today?

I did. The person who was here before me worked a more standard 9-5 job Monday through Friday. When I came in, I was like, "What's my role on game day because I'm not not working?" I created the coordinator of head coach operations title because I wanted it to be more than the executive assistant to the head coach. I wanted to do that job, of course, but not just that job.

What was the transition from Dan Quinn to Arthur Smith like?

It was super interesting because the entire staff was brand new, even the director of coaching operations, Brian Griffin. It was a really big learning curve. With Coach Smith being a first-time head coach, I was able to help a lot because I had been through that situation with Coach Quinn for six years. There was so much I could bring to the table, and I was able to step up to help him and the staff navigate everything.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 5

11 hours ago, 88Comrade2000 said:

I expect both to be gone after the draft.  Since they’ve done a lot of work preparing already, we are keeping them now to assist. They know the current roster, which helps Adam and his new guys.  I don’t see either here long term. 

You have been predicting they would be fired every week since Harris bought the team. I have to say, you’ve gotten this prediction wrong about 10 different times. 

So the latest is after the draft….

Maybe.  But keep this in mind: Mayhew attended the HC interviews with Adam Peters.  And Hurney was the information guy for Harris about how the league worked.

I could see both staying as advisors past the draft.  I could also see Mayhew returning to SF and/or Hurney retiring.  

4 hours ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Much props to Antonio Pierce, a lot of guys would have at least implied they didn’t really want Kingsbury as was reported.

Or been grumpy about it.  

• Like 1

Lance Newmark from inside the den series.

Since he had a role in both pro and college scouting, maybe he'll share some infos about a few draft prospects to complement our own evaluations.

The Washington Commanders have been building an elite coaching staff and added more talent to the front office on Wednesday.

The Super Bowl is over and while the Kansas City Chiefs are celebrating back-to-back championships they have the same 2024 record as every other team, even the Washington Commanders

And like every other team in the NFL, the Commanders are busy plotting their course to the top of the league looking for the most expeditious route possible.

This effort has led to the addition of several highly regarded coaches to coach Dan Quinn's staff in Washington which now includes several Dallas Cowboys transfers including the head coach himself.

But the team isn't stopping at coaches, adding Lance Newmark to the executive group on Wednesday to be general manager (GM) Adam Peters' assistant GM.

“I am thrilled to welcome Lance Newmark to the Washington Commanders,” said Peters. “Lance is someone that I have known and respected in the scouting community my entire career. He is a highly respected talent evaluator and a great leader who will fit perfectly into what we’re building here in Washington. I want to thank Brad Holmes and the Lions organization for being first-class in working with us on the process of bringing Lance to the DMV. Lance is a phenomenal person, and he will immediately elevate our overall personnel function here at the Commanders. It is my absolute pleasure to welcome Lance and his family to Washington.”

Newmark comes to the Commanders from the Lions who just this year made it all the way to the NFC Championship Game before falling to the eventual Super Bowl losing San Francisco 49ers.

According to a press release from the team Newmark has served in numerous roles, all of them leading to his direct influence and involvement in building one of the fastest-rising teams in the NFL.

Newmark says he's looking to bring all of the lessons he's learned in that process with him to Washington, D.C.

“I could not be more excited about joining the Washington Commanders organization,” said Newmark. “I have tremendous respect for Adam and believe strongly in him, and in his vision for this franchise. I cannot wait to join Adam, Coach Quinn, and the rest of the organization this week in the DMV. It was very clear in this process that Josh Harris is extremely committed to running a first-class organization and building a championship-caliber football team, which made this opportunity very special. His passion for returning this franchise to greatness is clear. I will always be thankful for my time in Detroit and cannot say enough good things about the Lions organization. I sincerely appreciate them allowing me to pursue this exciting opportunity in Washington.”

Edited by FrFan
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 4
  • Thumb up 1

15 hours ago, bwattsup said:

I still think about the words GMAP said in DQ’s presser…”He still has some tricks up his sleeve” when talking about filling out the staff. 

The man won’t lying…and DQ apparently has some mighty long sleeves. 

Ads an aside, ATL fan I know said that during Quinn's entire time there he never wore short sleeves.  He thought he was covering something up like tattoos or excema.  Will be fun watching training camp to see if he ever wears short sleeves.  

• Like 1