Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Moving Towards our Future Front Office and Coaching Hires. All the Way to the Water Boy - Adam Peters Hired as GM! The Mighty Quinn is HC Kliff Kingsbury as OC. Joe Whitt jr at DC.

Koolblue13

3 hours ago, Bacon said:

I live like 10 miles from USC and have watched a ton of Caleb Williams games but I've been avoiding a thorough film dive because I didn't seriously think we were going to move up for him.

I'm changing that tonight LOL

According to most of media pundits this FO will go QB with the first pick. Since you've watch Williams a lot what do you think of this article ? Too hard & personal, spot on,.....

https://www.totalprosports.com/nfl/caleb-williams-ripped-by-former-scout-draft-stock/

Edited by FrFan

2 hours ago, FrFan said:

According to most of media pundits this FO will go QB with the first pick. Since you've watch Williams a lot what do you think of this article ? Too hard & personal, spot on,.....

https://www.totalprosports.com/nfl/caleb-williams-ripped-by-former-scout-draft-stock/

Spot on. I've never wanted Caleb Williams. That article says everything I think about the guy. He has bust written all over him.

• Thumb up 2

I don’t feel the Kingsbury hire means anything one way or the other about the plan at QB. All the top prospects can make a case for fit:

Caleb — worked with KK at USC

Maye — was in an Air Raid offense at UNC

Daniels — is a rushing QB a la Kyler

It’s also not Kingsbury’s decision to make, of course.

The Kingsbury hire ought to be evaluated on his merits as a coach and play-caller, not with the assumption that it means any particular QB is coming along as a result.

Edited by CapsSkins
  • Like 13
  • Thumb up 3

I like where this is going- I'm all in on Quinn. Also, what may or may not be a little known fact is how Quinn is a big Joe Gibbs guy. i remember Quinn saying years ago- maybe 6 or 7 years ago- how he reveres Gibbs and has sat down with him to pick his brain on how to model a football team.

I wouldn't be surprised for him to mention his relationship with Gibbs at todays presser- which I'm looking very forward to by the way.   

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, CommanderInTheRye said:

I want Al Harris as our new dB coach, if we can get him.

Harris doesn't call plays, and he's not a brilliant X and O defensive mind, but he's the best teacher of secondary technique in the league, and his players absolutely love him.

If anybody can turn around Forbes and continue the growth that Quan had the last few games it's this guy.

Same. And Harris has said himself that he’s not ready for a DC role. Would be an excellent move.

4 hours ago, FrFan said:

Man, if even half of that is true, @Warhead36 is right not to bring that man back to his hometown.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Darc Requiem said:

Spot on. I've never wanted Caleb Williams. That article says everything I think about the guy. He has bust written all over him.

If we really want either Maye or Daniels and Williams really is a bust, we don't want so many people seeing articles like that it hurts his draft status and he moves down the list. That would likely move Maye or Daniels up to #1 where Chicago would nab him. If we truly don't want Williams (and I think it would take far too much for our FO to move up and get #1), we want Williams to stay #1 so we would have our choice of Maye or Daniels. We'd still get to pick one of those latter two in any case though unless we swap #2 pick ourselves.

Who knows if that article is legit or if it is just some team planting a story to try and influence the draft order. We're going to see a lot of games and attempts to manipulate other teams' draft preferences over the next 3 months along with offers to swap/trade picks. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CapsSkins said:

I don’t feel the Kingsbury hire means anything one way or the other about the plan at QB. All the top prospects can make a case for fit:

It’s also not Kingsbury’s decision to make, of course.

The Kingsbury hire ought to be evaluated on his merits as a coach and play-caller, not with the assumption that it means any particular QB is coming along as a result.

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned FA QB Baker Mayfield to the mix yet, he was a walk on at TT under Kingsbury and actually saw success there before transferring to Okla...I highly doubt it though, I also think Kingsbury scheme would be great for a Fields too, I think he will do wonders for any QB we draft or trade or sign for....

• Koolblue13 changed the title to Moving Towards our Future Front Office and Coaching Hires. All the Way to the Water Boy - Adam Peters Hired as GM! The Mighty Quinn is HC Kliff Kingsbury as OC..
1 minute ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Love Schrager's response to Durant.  He is a big Klingsbury guy, loves him so I gather he knows some of their targets.

My feelings on Kingsbury swing significantly one way or the other with a OL coach hire.

10 hours ago, SonnySideUp said:

Russini's tweet said "they spoke with him and he had support from some decision makers".

I'm reading that to mean that they interviewed him but in any case that's history now. We now have a new head coach that I am getting more excited about each day. I can't wait to see who we draft and acquire via FA and for the new season to start.

He'd be the first below the radar interview that escaped every beat reporter and even Standig, Russini's co-worker, said its BS.

3 minutes ago, KDawg said:

My feelings on Kingsbury swing significantly one way or the other with a OL coach hire.

I know its unconventional but what about a player-coach for the spot?  The dude is a SB chamption.  I know some of us me included whined about his play, but PFF says he's excellent...

Screen Shot 2024-02-05 at 7.25.29 AM.png

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Haha 6

2 hours ago, CapsSkins said:

First thoughts on the Kingsbury hire were we either go Caleb due to familiarity or Daniels due to running abilities.

A couple thoughts on comparisons

Kyler is built better for rushing and slides better than Daniels but is still sustaining injuries.

Kyler and Caleb both seem to have a little diva in them

I agree that any of the top 3 could indeed be the answer. I also feel a little more comfortable with Howell as the backup.

5 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

He'd be the first below the radar interview that escaped every beat reporter and even Standig, Russini's co-worker, said its BS.

I know its unconventional but what about a player-coach for the spot?  The dude is a SB chamption.  I know some of us me included whined about his play, but PFF says he's excellent...

Screen Shot 2024-02-05 at 7.25.29 AM.png

Perfect!

I’d know the season is sunk now and I could stop thinking about it in February!

• Like 1

I posted some stuff days back about Whitt.  I would guess he has something to do as well, not just Harris for Dallas' secondary.   Whitt had the bigger title over Harris.   Plus Whitt coached Harris so what Harris knows abourt coaching I gather is from Whitt.

Quinn likes to have a maestro on the secondary because his wheel house is the D line.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 5
  • Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

13 minutes ago, KDawg said:

1000%. Watching there 2020 season it was 4-5 man routes and 3 of them long developing. The 5 lineman are the most important players behind the quarterback. I think you can put any 3-4 nfl caliber receivers in and be successful. I do like the fit for both Maye and Daniels.

Who is Joe Whitt Jr., the Cowboys’ in-house favorite to replace Dan Quinn?

FRISCO, Texas — Joe Whitt Jr. has spent 14 years coaching on a Mike McCarthy-led staff.

His 15th could feature a more prominent position.

In a move the Cowboys reluctantly expected, defensive coordinator Dan Quinn is leaving for a head coach job, accepting the Washington Commanders’ position on Thursday. McCarthy has internal and external candidates for a replacement. Whitt is expected to be the top in-house option and overall favorite, a person familiar with the situation told The Dallas Morning News.

Whitt first joined McCarthy’s staff in 2008 as a Green Bay Packers defensive quality control coach. That afforded McCarthy a first-hand view of his development, from quality control to cornerbacks coach to defensive pass game coordinator. Al Harris, the Cowboys’ defensive backs coach, is among the players Whitt coached in Green Bay, the two overlapping from 2008-10.

Whitt arrived in Dallas at the same time Quinn did, both coming from the Atlanta Falcons in 2021. He worked as the Cowboys’ secondary coach and defensive pass game coordinator the past three years.

Just as McCarthy’s return offered the Cowboys continuity, a promotion for Whitt would do the same.

He has experience calling plays in certain spots over the years as well as addressing the entire defense and team in a group meeting environment. In October, Whitt met with Cowboys reporters during the bye week and acknowledged having a different temperament than Quinn, whom television broadcasts often capture as fiery during certain game developments.

“He is really emotional,” Whitt said in October. “That is who he is. He’s such a good person from that standpoint. I am always thinking about the next play. Even when we intercepted one for the touchdown and everyone is going crazy, my mindset is, ‘OK, which players are tired? Who do we need to switch out? Who is on kickoff team? [DaRon] Bland, who intercepted that touchdown, is on kickoff team. Hey, tell Bones [special teams coordinator John Fassel] to pull him off kickoff team because he needs a blow.’

“That’s where my mind instantly goes. I’ll get excited after we get the win. But you need coaches to get excited, especially the coaches on the field because that’s the energy bus that keeps those guys going. That’s why I do better in the box because I’m constantly thinking of what’s happening next, what are we going to get to next.”

Whitt could be next.

Traditionally, McCarthy has entrusted his defensive coordinator responsibilities to a former NFL head coach. Ex-Los Angeles Chargers coach Brandon Staley, ex-Washington Commanders coach Ron Rivera and former Tennessee Titans coach Matt Vrabel are some names from the latest coach-firing wave.

Whitt appears to have the upper hand in such considerations.

Whoever replaces Quinn will oversee a run defense that must improve. The Cowboys are coming off a playoff loss in which Packers running back Aaron Jones totaled 21 carries for 118 yards and three touchdowns. The Arizona Cardinals in Week 3 and Buffalo Bills in Week 14 each surpassed 200 rushing yards in a Dallas loss.

https://kdhnews.com/sports/nfl/who-is-joe-whitt-jr-the-cowboys-in-house-favorite-to-replace-dan-quinn/article_21440df1-08bb-59ba-9300-3d5b85875875.html