Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Moving Towards our Future Front Office and Coaching Hires. All the Way to the Water Boy - Adam Peters Hired as GM! The Mighty Quinn is HC Kliff Kingsbury as OC. Joe Whitt jr at DC.

Koolblue13

6 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Yes he does. The guy runs a 4.6ish 40… why do you think he’s not a dual threat?

I don’t see Maye as much of a dual threat as the others based on what I’ve seen.  I could be wrong.  Maybe he is.  And I haven’t seen a ton.  But just because he’s got some speed doesn’t mean he’s really a run threat like for example a Lamar or Josh Allen.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1

16 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Basically.  Kingsbury is skilled at developing dual threat QBs. 

If you hire him, you get a guy who fits that description. Maye does not.

I don't believe a dual threat QB means a running QB that can throw anymore, not in 2024.

Nah, nearly every QB either starting or coming out as prospects is some level of threat running for a first down either by design or on a broken play.

Sam Howell is a dual threat QB.  Niether he nor Maye has the wheels of some others mentioned, but if they can make RPO plays matter, that's kinda the floor these days, imo.

The statues are a dying breed, and folks going to lose patience with running QBs that cant pass now that nearly every QB can or eventually be able to run in some meaningful capacity.

Once everyone's doing it, it's the pioneers that have to keep up.

Edited by Renegade7

2 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

If you get your QB who cares?  Also the Rams haven’t had a first round pick since 2016 which they used on Goff. How long ago was that?  The draft was in April of 2016.  Obama was still President.  That’s how long ago it was since the Rams had a first round pick. (Note: this is not politics in the stadium.  It’s historical fact with no commentary)

They won a SB since then.

Picks are assets you use to acquire players.

Im not in love with goving up picks in multiple years (ie. a 2025 and a 2026 first round pick) but giving up one, especially when the hit rate of draft picks is miserable, is just fine.  

You really gonna say our roster is as good as the Rams roster was back in 2016?  Ask Panther fans how they feel about giving up this years first round pick to the Bears to move up and draft Young.

Just now, HeHateMe75 said:

You really gonna say our roster is as good as the Rams roster was back in 2016?  Ask Panther fans how they feel about giving up this years first round pick to the Bears to move up and draft Young.

If they had selected Stroud, how would they feel?

It’s a crap shoot but we have to shoot our shot. Plus Peters apparently is a very good talent evaluator. I don’t know what his role with Trey Lance was but regardless we have to play to win and not sit back and hope a franchise QB magically falls in our lap, 

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

I don't believe a dual threat QB means a running QB that can throw anymore, not in 2024.

Nah, nearly every QB either starting or coming out as prospects is some level of threat running for a first down either by design or on a broken play.

Sam Howell is a dual threat QB.  Niether he nor Maye has the wheels of some others mentioned, but if they can make RPO plays matter, that's kinda the floor these days, imo.

The statues are a dying breed, and folks going to lose patience with running QBs that can pass now that nearly every QB can or eventually be able to run in some meaningful capacity.

Once everyone's doing it, it's the pioneers that have to keep up.

Howell's Pro Day 40 time was:  5.07, Maye's Projected 40 time from NFL Draft Blitz:  4.60.  I think it can work with both.   

Edited by RWJ
  • Thanks 1

Wow did you see this news from CBS?

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/commanders-ben-johnson-drama-lions-oc-doesnt-interview-well-calls-ownership-basketball-guys-per-reports/

Is Ben Johnson Trashing Adam Peters and Harris's group?

Is this sour grapes because he was expecting to just be handed the keys without being prepared for the interview?

Or is this actually a problem?

(Peters is a football guy, the VIkings guy that helped pick peters is also a FB guy)

• Thumb up 1

2 minutes ago, SoCalSkins said:

If they had selected Stroud, how would they feel?

It’s a crap shoot but we have to shoot our shot. Plus Peters apparently is a very good talent evaluator. I don’t know what his role with Trey Lance was but regardless we have to play to win and not sit back and hope a franchise QB magically falls in our lap, 

Seriously, I get what y'all are saying, but I look at our roster and with so many holes to fill, just don't see giving up future first round picks as an option.  Carolina is in a totally different place than we are.  They at least have their defense going for them, it was #4 overall, we were dead last.  The only thing we have/had in common was how terrible our offense is.  

We are ass on both sides of the ball, with so many positions that need a major upgrade.  The Panthers o-line sucked and they traded away a legit #1 WR and the best RB in the league.  Stroud would have had the same success as Young this year.  

2 minutes ago, Veretax said:

Wow did you see this news from CBS?

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/commanders-ben-johnson-drama-lions-oc-doesnt-interview-well-calls-ownership-basketball-guys-per-reports/

Is Ben Johnson Trashing Adam Peters and Harris's group?

Is this sour grapes because he was expecting to just be handed the keys without being prepared for the interview?

Or is this actually a problem?

(Peters is a football guy, the VIkings guy that helped pick peters is also a FB guy)

Yeah, we've covered this earlier. It smells like his agent trying to cover his screw up.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, MartinC said:

I’m not excited by the idea of Klingsbury as our OC - but I live in AZ and the deck was stacked against him with the Cards. Bidwell is a terrible owner and the GM Steve Keim was a multi DUI walking train wreck. Then they drafted a QB first overall more interested in video games than film study.

Klingsbury is an air raid guy, but actually with the Cards his O was more of a mish mash of various schemes - which is partly why I’m not that thrilled by the idea of him as OC. One thing is though he does tailor what he’s does to what he has, which is good. He’s not a ‘my stuff works just execute’ guy.

Good post, MC.

If you had to choose between Kingsbury or Kelly who would you pick?

46 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

If the hire is Kingsbury, either we’re trading up for Caleb Williams or drafting Daniels.  

Drafting Maye at that point would be shocking.  

Why would drafting Maye be shocking if Klingsbury was/is the OC?

Maye is very mobile and a good runner - at least as good a runner as Mahomes, probably better. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, MartinC said:

Maye is very mobile and a good runner - at least as good a runner as Mahomes, probably better. 

Whoa, that jus made my panties wet.

Please don't say stuff like that less you mean it...

• Haha 5
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, MartinC said:

He is definitely very mobile. Seems to me just as much as Williams. I may be the odd man in here but I don't like Williams as much. 🤷🏻‍♂️ 

6 minutes ago, seantaylor=god said:

Maye and Howell both played in an air raid offense under Phil Longo 2 years ago.

image.gif

Just now, clskinsfan said:

Bro. Dude could have quadrupled his salary;;;;;;;And he was turned off? **** him. 

It’s Jason Reid… HUGE grain of salt.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

36 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Basically.  Kingsbury is skilled at developing dual threat QBs. 

If you hire him, you get a guy who fits that description. Maye does not.

That's not a ringing endorsement of Kingsbury as a OC then. If his skillset is limited to a certain type of player and that dictates the type of talent you have to acquire...then he doesn't sound very innovative or able to coach to each players strengths. We've already danced to that tune. No thanks.

If we already had a dual threat QB, then maybe KK would be a fair option. But if we're gonna hire a guy who needs to make his round holes fit the square pegs, I thik we should try to do better. Especially if we have to mortgage the farm kust to justify the coaching hire. Sorry @Voice of Reason You're making me hate this guy as a potential hire

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

I don’t see Maye as much of a dual threat as the others based on what I’ve seen.  I could be wrong.  Maybe he is.  And I haven’t seen a ton.  But just because he’s got some speed doesn’t mean he’s really a run threat like for example a Lamar or Josh Allen.  

Here's my take on the top three qbs with respect to running style/ability.

I think Drake is more of a fast for his size get you out of trouble type runner who can buy time in the pocket with his feet and occasionally break a big run for a first down to keep a drive going.

That's fine, but he's not someone you would neccesarily design a steady diet of running plays for and expect to be effectuve carrying the ball on a regular basis.

Caleb is a Fran Tarkenton type of magician in the pocket who extends plays at an elite level better than anyone else in the draft. I'm not sure he’s a pure runner though.

The guy I would  most love to see paired with Kingsbury is Daniels.

He is a true runner, fast, quick, and far more elusive in the open field than he's generally given credit for.

He can break a game open with timely long runs at any time. The ultimate 21st century dual threat game breaker.

The big fear with Daniel's is self preservation-- sometimes he thinks he's Bo Jackson and instead of sliding to safety he'll try to run through tacklers. This is a coachable ie fixable trait but he has to change and there's no guarantee he will.

Daniels simply won't last in the league if he continues to play like that.

• Like 2