Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Moving Towards our Future Front Office and Coaching Hires. All the Way to the Water Boy - Adam Peters Hired as GM! The Mighty Quinn is HC Kliff Kingsbury as OC. Joe Whitt jr at DC.

Koolblue13

Sources: Cowboys Coach Joe Whitt Frontrunner to Replace 'Shining Light' Dan Quinn as Coordinator

Sources: Dallas Cowboys Coach Joe Whitt Frontrunner to Replace 'Shining Light' Dan Quinn as Coordinator

RISCO - The good news about the NFL Coaching Carousel as it regards Joe Whitt Jr., the Dallas Cowboys’ defensive passing game coordinator and secondary coach? He has spent recent offseasons very much on the NFL defensive coordinator radar, drawing interest from the Ravens, Colts, Seahawks and, sources tell us, at least three other clubs.

The to be determined news: Dallas coordinator Dan Quinn is getting the head coach job with the Washington Commanders … 

So we don’t know if Whitt, his top lieutenant, is staying at The Star.

“It’s partly about working for that man,” Whitt Jr. recently told CowboysSI.com, speaking of Quinn. “He’s a bright, shining light to work for and to work with. During tough times, his light shows the way.”

So would Whitt want to follow DQ to DC? Sources tell CowboysSI.com that Whitt should be considered the front-runner as Dallas’ new coordinator. But that’s certainly not locked in yet.,,,Along with Quinn, Whitt Jr. was part of a complete turnaround of the 2021 Dallas defense. Their time to climb is here.

But, Joe says, mentioning his father, an iconic coaching and leadership figure in Alabama, “Dad always told me, ‘You do the best job with the job that you have, and your next opportunity will come. So I’m not worried about it. When that time comes, I’m ready.”

Other names in the Dallas vs. Washington assistant mix are Cowboys staffers Al Harris and Aden Durde. And for intrigue’s sake? Mike Vrabel, Brandon Staley and Ron Rivera are presently unemployed.

https://www.si.com/nfl/cowboys/news/dallas-cowboys-hire-dan-quinn-replacement-washington-commanders-joe-whitt-coordinator-favorite-next-sources

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, profusion said:

This is 98% about roster construction, and Quinn isn't the final or sole voice on that.

Belichick isn't in the HOF without Brady. Kid Shanahan isn't in the SB next week with Trey Lance or Jimmy G. Reid is still the "lovable loser" he was in Philly without Mahomes. And it's not just QBs, either. Dungy and Payton probably have several more rings if the rest of the Colts' roster had been better.

There are just too many moving parts involved to say that Quinn is "another Rivera" or that we'll get a repeat of what happened in Atlanta. 

Fair point, I just don't think this guy is the guy to make it special, but yeah, if we get roster build done right, it may not matter, and if it does, we can can him. The roster build is 80% of this, maybe 90%. 

• Like 2

Why is Joe Whitt Jr. Only a Cornerbacks Coach?

It is absurd that Joe Whitt, Jr. is the cornerbacks coach for the Green Bay Packers.

That may sound negative, but I assure you, I couldn’t have more good things to say about Whitt. Entering his eighth season in Green Bay, the Auburn graduate has been nothing short of a miracle worker for the Packers.

After coming aboard as a defensive quality control assistant in 2008, Whitt was the only defensive assistant to survive the coaching staff purge after that disappointing season. He was promoted to cornerbacks coach for the 2009 year, and the following seven seasons have been incredible.

His official Packers bio gives some amazing numbers. Since Whitt took over as cornerbacks coach, the Packers lead the league in interceptions (132) and opponent passer rating and rank third in opponent completion percentage.

Those numbers don’t just come from one or two amazing seasons, either. Whitt’s crew has been remarkably consistent on a year-by-year basis, nearly always ranking in the NFL’s top ten in opponent passer rating, completion percentage, and touchdowns allowed:

joe-whitt-chart.JPG

And while the Packers did benefit from some of Charles Woodson’s best seasons and a couple years from Nick Collins in that stretch, Whitt has made this happen largely with young players.

A MASTER TEACHER

In his tenure, Whitt has been tasked with developing seven different cornerbacks drafted by the Packers, six of whom are still in the league. He has also had a significant hand in coaching up Tramon Williams and Sam Shields, two undrafted free agents who both made Pro Bowls during their time in Green Bay.

Whitt’s methods for developing young players have roots in an actual classroom.

“I shadow a lot of high school teachers,” Whitt explained in an interview with Yale. “I like to shadow an AP teacher and a teacher who has special-needs kids, because the students have different learning styles.

“That way, when I’m in the meeting room or the classroom, I’m able to reach everybody in there—from the guys who have a very strong background in football and defensive package, to guys who’ve never really played the position before, and are learning everything from the beginning.”

https://thepowersweep.com/blog/why-is-joe-whitt-jr-only-a-cornerbacks-coach

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1