Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Moving Towards our Future Front Office and Coaching Hires. All the Way to the Water Boy - Adam Peters Hired as GM! The Mighty Quinn is HC Kliff Kingsbury as OC. Joe Whitt jr at DC.

Koolblue13

3 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I mean, at the end of the day I don’t see how anyone is excited about this.

But it’s not like Dan Quinn is an awful coach. He’s not. I’m not a fan of the way his defenses perform in big moments, how they collapse without a lead or how they don’t support sound offenses.

But maybe he can course correct.

Not a fan of the hire. It’s very… meh. But who knows.

So far I give this coach cycle a 6/10. His coordinator hires can bump that or decrease it. A good staff would make this hire look a heck of a lot better. 

We’ll see. 

Not the start I wanted but… open mind.

Completely reasonable take. Need more of that around here lol

4 hours ago, BayouBrave86 said:

You would’ve thought this team learned from the mistake of letting all the awesome coaching talent leave over the last few years coupled with their success. It was right there in front of them. 

It really is amazing how many fans/people on this board are attributing 100% of failure to getting the sexy new OC as HC of this team.  I don't see it that way at all.  The majority of the blame sits squarely with the legacy of Dan's reign.  How can anyone think the Washington Commanders, at this point and time, would be the first choice for anyone looking to be a head coach in the league?  The only two things that make them attractive are the current draft capital and the cap space.  Outside of that they are the dregs of the NFL, with a sub-par roster, the worst facilities in the league, a terrible stadium (with no solid plans to build a new one) and a hollowed out fanbase.  Did the new GM and ownership group miscalculate their chances at getting Johnson?  Sure, probably some, but even if he was completely ready to leave Detroit why would anyone assume he'd want to come here?

The team/franchise is literally shell of itself in 2024.  Everything that made it a "cornerstone" franchise throughout the 80s and into the 90s is gone, including the name.  Everyone needs to realize this is going to be a long, multi-step process.  I didn't want Dan Quinn to be the coach, but he is now, and I'm going to be positive about the future.  These comparisons to Rivera are lazy and stupid -- he's not him.  He is only going to be the head coach, not in charge of everything like Ron was.  The one thing that's exciting is that the rebuild is starting from a completely clean slate.  Dan Quinn might not be the coach that gets this franchise to the promise land (or maybe he will), but he might be the guy to do the initial heavy lifting to get this team back to place where they have an identity and a real culture.  It's possible he could contribute to making this franchise an attractive destination again.  

Who knows,...we'll see right?  I really think we should all try to lean positive.

Edited by Probos
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 3
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, SkinsFanPA said:

I'm sorry, I disagree that it was a slow process. 

they’re the last team to fill their head coaching vacancy.

The optics are bad only to the uninformed.  Johnson didn't spurn us for another job, he spurned both teams to stay where he was comfortable. 

That he chose to remain as a coordinator makes it worse, not better. 

And how is it "not a great start"?  Because it isn't who you wanted? 

because they don’t seem to have gotten who they wanted.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

15 minutes ago, Destino said:

When a team goes on a coaching search the only thing you can hope for is that they get the right guy. The one they sincerely believe is the best for the job. What seems to have happened here is that the candidate they liked, brushed them off, and their slow process left them scrambling for scraps. Maybe Quinn works out great, but it’s clear to me that this process was handled poorly. The optics are bad and do not inspire confidence. 

Not a great start for the new ownership and front office. 

I don't think it was a slow process.  I think they got screwed sideways up the butt by a broomstick because the guy they wanted backed out, and that team was playing in the NFC Conference Championship. 

The only way the process could have moved any faster is if they decided they didn't want to interview Ben Johnson, Aaron Glenn, Mike Macdonald or Anthony Weaver.  Because they physically could not do an in person interview with any of them until Monday, because NFL rules didn't allow in-person interviews with coaches who were still coaching.

As soon as they could talk to them, they scheduled interviews with all 4 and talked to 3 of them in 2 days.  They actually flew to Detroit to make sure they could get them in as soon as they could.

I think what some (not necessarily you) are missing is the rules changed over the last 2 years as to when teams could interview who.  

Sometimes in life, you do all the right things and you don't get the outcome you're looking for.  This might be one of those times.  

Did they go hard at Macdonald?  No idea, it hasn't been, and won't be reported. So that will always be speculation.  But if he was the Seahawks guy from the beginning, as it was rumored Ben Johnson was ours, it's not surprising they landed him.  

I struggle to figure out what they could have done differently under the rules.  They interviewed every candidate they could as soon as they were available to be interviewed under the rules.  They could have hired Morris a week earlier, like Atlanta did.  They could have interviewed and hired Dave Canales last week, but they would have had to have done that before talking to "the big 4" who were still coaching.  They could have hired Harbaugh, Belichick or Vrabel.  

However, they waited and made travel plans for Monday and Tuesday to meet with the 4 candidates who were coaching in the NFC Championship game the literal day after the championship game.  And the trip to Detroit was scheduled last week.  Everybody knew they were going.  The reason being, regardless of win or lose, "the big 4" could interview during the bye week of the SB. 

So they made the plans.  They did all the virtual interviews when they were allowed to, and they moved as fast as possible after the Championship Games were completed and they were able to interview the coaches who coached in that game.

I just don't know what else they could have done under the rules.  

They got screwed by Ben Johnson.  Shrug.  I don't think Slowik was a serious candidate.  1 year OC and 1 year passing game coordinator to HC is a HUGE jump. He's probably not ready.  But again, they would have had to have hired him before they talked to the "big 4" in order to secure him.  Which wasn't going to happen. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Thumb up 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

I was curious......before Quinn, what happened to the Falcons after Mike Smith had several good seasons with them? Of course Matty Ice was doing well, but under Smith they fell off a cliff for a couple years which led to Quinn getting the HC job there. What contributed to them having those poor seasons?

I was really disappointed in the rr hire when it happened and said so. I was right. I'm far far less negative about Quinn but not dancing in the street either. But then I wouldn't have been all bubbly about Johnson.

I would have considered him or any of the others names mentioned a wait and see matter, but would choose to be hopeful whereas with ron i "knew" it was not going anywhere good.

Imv both the level of angst over not getting ben and the ire over his rejection is more overblown fan/message board emo stuff than not.

I understand concern about how the new guard handled all matters to date, but again, no solid data we can point to that informs anything.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1

1 minute ago, Skinsinparadise said:

This would be good.  too bad they won't give him personnel control though?

Going from three years of working for Dan Snyder to working for Jerry Jones. I guess you'd have to say that Rivera has a thing for a difficult work environment. :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, SkinsFanPA said:

I want to put this out there, just as a comparison.  To be clear, I'm not excited about the prospect of Dan Quinn, and I hear all of the "retread" talk, and how he couldn't get it done in Atlanta...

Look at Pete Carroll.  The guy was 33-31 in 4 years with the Jets & Patriots.  Nothing exciting.  He goes to Seattle after having success at USC, and goes to the playoffs 10 times in 14 seasons, appearing in 2 Super Bowls and winning one of them.  What if Seattle had passed on him, because he was just so-so in his previous HC stints in the NFL?

I'm not saying Quinn is our guy, or that he would have the same success that Carroll had (which we would have KILLED for over the last 14 years here)...but to dismiss him out of hand simply because he was "ok" his first time around would be lazy, IMO...

Heck, Belichick was 8 games under .500 in Cleveland over 5 seasons, yet the Patriots gave him a shot...how'd that turn out?

Carroll was exciting because he built a murderers row of USC teams out of nowhere for half a decade. That rebooted his rep.

Belichick (I never spell his name right, now I know why) was basically an elite coordinator multiple times and a total failure as a HC, roll of the dice. I get that. 

Quinn was basically Johnny Average in Atlanta, and a good coordinator otherwise, I'm highly skeptical of the Belichick analogy, what's he done as a DC comparable to him? Zilch, but they both did suck in prior outings (otoh, Quinn had a borderline HOF QB, Bilichick did not with Cleveland), for me the disappointment with Quinn is that he did something very similar to Ron: He took advantage of a franchise QB situation to have a couple of great seasons, but how great? Not very. He was a ..500 coach w/the second half of Matt Ryan's career. Some have implied Ryan cratered so that's why he sucked at the end but the dude was wat, 43-37 before that final season and truth be told, the real cratering was in Indy after he left Atlanta, and his arm had gone full noodle. 65% completion rate, more than 2-1 TD/INT, QBR was basically a touch above the league average rank (I think 14th). He was no longer a top 5 guy, but in pure production he still was, it was the efficency piece that was lower. 

If you get a franchise QB like Ron and Quinn did, and you do as little as they largely did, it's fundamentally not impressive, period. It just isn't. He was a .500 coach with the biggest decisive factor for performance, in his golf bag, he had the franchise QB. Color me not impressed. Same thing with Ron, dude had 2 good seasons with Cam, maybe 3, I forget which, but look at those years of Cam/Ron, they were largely --- other than 2 or 3 in nearly a decade together, and Quinn was similar but in like 6 seasons instead of nearly a decade. 

He might end up great, but going in, the cv is not impressive at all, I'm far more impressed by coaches that were .500 w/manure at QB, than guys that parlayed top 5-10 QB's in the league into .500 or worse seasons the majority of the time. 

• Like 1

The other HC candidates had to want to come here. It's a two-way street. They didn't want to, for myriad reasons, none of which reflect badly on Harris and Peters. It's not like they could have just gone out and hired whoever they wanted.

Time to move on and start endlessly poring over the OC and QB coach hires. 

• Like 1

Just now, Destino said:

they’re the last team to fill their head coaching vacancy.

By one day. 

1 minute ago, Destino said:

That he chose to remain as a coordinator makes it worse, not better. 

He turned down all teams last year also.  And he turned down the Seahawks.  

He might not be ready, and he clearly didn't want any job.  He probably could have picked his landing spot and he picked none.  That's not on this team, that's his decision.  

2 minutes ago, Destino said:

because they don’t seem to have gotten who they wanted.

Maybe and probably.  However, they got the GM they wanted.  And they were yelling from the rooftops that the HC interview process was MUCH more open, that they had a number of candidates who they wanted to talk to and could go in a variety of ways.  Shefter was screaming this, and so were Keim and Bram, both of whom are connected.

The only thing we really don't know is if they wanted Macdonald, and he chose the Seahawks. And we're never going to know that, because the team isn't going to say "yeah, Quinn was option 3."  Nor is his agent.  Nor is anybody. 

Maybe they offered Macdonald and Macdonald chose the Seahawks.  Maybe they didn't. 

The one guy who was most linked to them decided he didn't want to be a HC.  For anybody.  For the second year in a row.   

Also, he didn't even take the interview.  That tells me he didn't want any of the jobs, not that he didn't want THIS job.  Because if you are waffling on a job, you at least go to the interview and then make a decision.  An hour long zoom call doesn't count.  

• Like 4
  • Thumb up 1

26 minutes ago, BayouBrave86 said:

Rivera had a more impressive resume than Quinn before joining Washington. 

You can remove one season from Ron's resume and that narrative goes away. He never had back to back winning seasons, hell Carolina has never had back to back winning seasons ever.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

19 minutes ago, djpapeleta360 said:

I kind of like this hire. To many of ya are focusing on the last game and not seeing the defense he ran as a whole. I can cherry pick any of your top candidates and be like see that one time they didn't score or that one time their defense got scored on.

What I want to see is how he uses Jamin Davis and Forbes. I always wants to see Davis in an attacking position similar to how Micah Parsons was used. 

I think it's a great hire because of his recent knowledge of all the NFC East teams and the success he's had with the Cowboys defense. We get an immediate divisional edge in that department. Now with that said, he must, MUST find the most innovative and creative OC that is out there to complement his defensive prowess. Rivera failed miserably in this area, I"m expecting much better hires this time. It's all going to hinge on getting that wiz kid OC and nailing it on the starting QB, whether it's a rookie, a veteran, or even Howell as a stop gap.

• Like 1

A lot of talk how Quinn was the 3rd or 4th choice.  Im not buying that.   Peters and Harris said in their PC that they wanted a "leader" first and foremost.  Not sure they saw that with Johnson or Macdonald.  Sheehan is saying that a formal offer was never offered to Johnson or Macdonald.   Was Quinn #1 in their view when they started?  Probably not but I doubt Quinn was down the list very far.  They got who they wanted after the process.  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Probos said:

It really is amazing how many fans/people on this board are attributing 100% of failure to getting the sexy new OC as HC of this team.  I don't see it that way at all.  The majority of the blame sits squarely with the legacy of Dan's reign.  How can anyone think the Washington Commanders, at this point and time, would be the first choice for anyone looking to be a head coach in the league?  The only two things that make them attractive are the current draft capital and the cap space.  Outside of that they are the dregs of the NFL, with a sub-par roster, the worst facilities in the league, a terrible stadium (with no solid plans to build a new one) and a hollowed out fanbase.  Did the new GM and ownership group miscalculate their chances at getting Johnson?  Sure, probably some, but even if he was completely ready to leave Detroit why would anyone assume he'd want to come here?

The team/franchise is literally shell of itself in 2024.  Everything that made it a "cornerstone" franchise throughout the 80s and into the 90s is gone, including the name.  Everyone needs to realize this is going to be a long, multi-step process.  I didn't want Dan Quinn to be the coach, but he is now, and I'm going to be positive about the future.  These comparisons to Rivera and lazy and stupid -- he's not him.  He is only going to be the head coach, not in charge of everything like Ron was.  The one thing that's exciting is that the rebuild is starting from a completely clean slate.  Dan Quinn might not be the coach that gets this franchise to the promise land (or maybe he will), but he might be the guy to do the initial heavy lifting to get this team back to place where they have an identity and a real culture.  It's possible he could contribute to making this franchise an attractive destination again.  

Who knows,...we'll see right?  I really think we should all try to lean positive.

We've tried to put a positive spin on every single hire over the past 20 years....we are doing the same thing we've always done....what is exactly going to change with this hire?   A re-tread is a re-tread.  He has an established history as a lackluster head coach, and never won the big game.   Our only hope is that he gets the coordinators right,  then I'll feel better.  But I'm skeptical at the minimum at this point.  

• Thumb up 1

To the people who keep harping on how only offensive minded coaches have won Super Bowl the last 7 years.    This years coaches are both offensive minded coaches, yes, but their respective defenses are both ranked in the Top 10.   I don't mind the Dan Quinn hire at all as long as the right OC comes in here with him.   Having a solid defense can take you a long way, and will put you over the hump if the offense is even above average.   After enduring Snyder and his idiocy for 25 years, I am going to trust the process here.  It is the perfect storm for us to turn things around  (new coaches, super high draft pick, lots of picks and cap space).     Our defense this year was one of the worst, if not the worst, I've seen fielded in watching Washington football since Charley Taylor was making catches.   It needed to be fixed or it didnt matter what offensively minded coach you brought in.     The OC choice is key here.  Quinn makes the right one and this could turn around a lot faster than normal

6 minutes ago, The Consigliere said:

Belichick (I never spell his name right, now I know why) was basically an elite coordinator multiple times and a total failure as a HC, roll of the dice. I get that. 

Bill Belichick's career NFL head coaching win/loss record:

With Tom Brady: 249 - 75

Without Tom Brady: 84 -103

Edited by Dan T.
  • Like 1

Staff is key....OC, DC, ST and position coaches. I wouldn't have chosen Quinn, but he can put together a strong staff. Did so in ATL, and has always had credible lists of prospective staff members, unlike the wish list that many HC candidates dangle to GMs.

• Like 1