Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Moving Towards our Future Front Office and Coaching Hires. All the Way to the Water Boy - Adam Peters Hired as GM! The Mighty Quinn is HC Kliff Kingsbury as OC. Joe Whitt jr at DC.

Koolblue13

32 minutes ago, Conn said:

Harris, Peters, and the committee absolutely should ignore fan sentiment if they have conviction, true conviction, in a choice like Quinn. 

What it does though is shorten the leash with a fanbase on life support, because you’re not trying something new (and let’s admit it: you’re not trying something exciting). If a Macdonald fails, hey you shot for the moon. If a Quinn fails, fans go “no ****, we said that, he showed you who he is for years with the Falcons”. 

I’m not saying they should make fear-based choices because of this fanbase’s PTSD, don’t misunderstand me. I’m saying if they DON’T have absolute, full conviction in a guy like Quinn, it’s not really a good decision to immediately gamble with goodwill. Take the more boom/bust prospect if you aren’t 100% with Quinn. Your leash will be a lot longer, and people will understand your process even if you didn’t get optimal outcomes. If you’re wrong on Quinn, you have millions of people immediately thinking they know better than you every time the cameras show him looking frustrated on the sideline. 

In short, if you go with the unpopular, unsexy choice you gotta be right. And not four years from now. But if you give the fanbase a guy they can embrace as their own with a fresh slate and a hotshot coordinator record for a premium franchise, you’re essentially blameless. A Macdonald would be embraced as “ours” instantly and granted more grace with growing pains. Quinn, even if we’re an average team, won’t be “our guy” as a fanbase for a long time because he’s the guy from our rival whose biggest accomplishment on the national stage was losing the SB in historic fashion for a middle of the road nothing franchise. And we’ll feel like we’ve seen this story before, for a long time. The proof of concept with a Quinn hire has a much higher bar. Mediocre with him will be where we’ve been before. Mediocre with Macdonald will be just a stop along the way on a rebuild on the way to new greatness. It’s maybe not fair but that’s how perception works. That’s how hiring a guy with baggage that no one initially wants works.

It’s just not good business sense unless you have unwavering conviction. Fans across the country will laugh at us while “insiders” snicker at how ignorant everyone is for not realizing how much players love playing for Quinn. Despite that not earning him anything but one nice playoff run (with Shanahan) his entire career.  It’s a risk. 

This is exactly how I feel about Quinn. To your point, if he disappoints, the honeymoon period with ownership ends. If it is Macdonald and he busts, I think a good portion of the fanbase would understand.

Separately, I think the only retread who would have the support of the fanbase is Vrabel. He is coming off two losing seasons but I think the fanbase understands that, besides Tomlin, no other coach has done so much with so little underlying talent. Yes, they finished 6-11 this year but this team realistically had an equivalent or perhaps greater level of talent than they had and we finished with 4 wins. 

3 minutes ago, RWJ said:

I agree.  But MartinC wouldn't you have thought that the advisory team, which it seems to me putting all their eggs in one basket with Johnson would have done their homework, day and night to have a HC coaching draft list, per say, like a draft list of potential HCs that fit the leadership mold and what they were looking for rather than not. 

Right now, it seems like they either don't have that list, or they can't make a decision.  Are there too many cooks in the kitchen?  

It seems clear that Johnson was the front runner - but not a slam dunk. They specifically didn’t put all their eggs in that basket. They had a list of candidates that meet their criteria - or they think meet those criteria and they are interviewing them. They literally have that list.

And I doubt they are specifically looking for one leadership ‘type’. But I have no idea about that really.

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

25 minutes ago, RWJ said:

I agree.  But MartinC wouldn't you have thought that the advisory team, which it seems to me putting all their eggs in one basket with Johnson would have done their homework, day and night to have a HC coaching draft list, per say, like a draft list of potential HCs that fit the leadership mold and what they were looking for rather than not. 

Right now, it seems like they either don't have that list, or they can't make a decision.  Are there too many cooks in the kitchen?  

Every bit of reporting even before Johnson pulled out was that they absolutely did NOT put all their eggs in one basket (that was the fans who did that, mentally). That’s what Keim and Schefter both reported beforehand, and Keim was a steady drumbeat on it the whole process. 

Almost all our top options are still available and there’s only one other job open. What’s the rush at this point? All the guys we interviewed already have staffing lined up waiting to see who gets the job. 

Edited by Conn
  • Like 4
  • Thumb up 1

I think the disappointment with Johnson is twofold.

One, the team clearly seemed to be waiting for him. And then he decided to stay in his old gig. That means something was not communicated or the team badly misread the situation. As a fan. I didn't want this new group to look anything less than 100 percent competent in this hiring process. And they failed that test in a fairly meaningful way.

Two, we're now at the point where the game of musical chairs is not only over for head coaches but for all the coordinators. It feels like every position is now going to be filled by someone that no one else wanted.

Granted, this is all perception and winning cures all. But I wanted the triumphant press conference with the hot young coordinator everyone coveted. You know, like real teams do.

• Like 10

Current dream:

Commanders hire Macdonald and draft Maye.  Peters builds a bully in the trenches and on defense.

In 2026, Johnson and Slowik are still coordinators on their current teams and we have a playoff run that includes:

• Defeating Shanny/Trent and the 49ers in the Wildcard Round
  • Defeating Johnson and the Lions in the Divisional Round
  • Defeating Jerry and the Cowboys in the NFC Championship Game
  • Defeating Slowik and the Texans in the Super Bowl
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

9 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

This is what I think as well. Ultimately I feel like we're gonna go with Quinn. Too much smoke for there not to be fire.

I agree. Macdonald is going to come up light in the leadership department due to his nature on their rubric. That leaves Quinn - I am very curious who he is pitching as his OC. He has busted at that decision outside of Kyle and that has been undoing.

8 minutes ago, veteranskinsfan said:

Profootball talk reporting Slowick is staying with Houston Texans.  We are running out of good offensive minded coaches to select.

Looking like we are not as an attractive landing spot as we thought for certain coaches.

Slowik was obviously at the very bottom of our list despite Adam Peters knowing him the best. He wasn’t in the running for any job and nobody wanted him. That’s why he’s staying with Houston. He got zero job offers. 

• Thumb up 1

I really don’t get any level of criticism on the ownership group or Peters for what transpired with Johnson.  What he did is unprecedented.

I also understand why fans think it has to be Macdonald now that Johnson is out.  But it’s very likely that perhaps Macdonald isn’t head coach material either.  

Edited by BatteredFanSyndrome
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Thumb up 1

7 minutes ago, MartinC said:

It seems clear that Johnson was the front runner - but not a slam dunk. They specifically didn’t put all their eggs in that basket. They had a list of candidates that meet their criteria - or they think meet those criteria and they are interviewing them. They literally have that list.

And I doubt they are specifically looking for one leadership ‘type’. But I have no idea about that really.

I respect what you are saying, MartinC and if they have that list that they don't seem to be able to make a decision and there are too many cooks in the kitchen.  That's just me. :)  

Just now, HTTRDynasty said:

Welp.  Writing is on the wall IMO.

This tells me and I could be way off, Quinn will be announced soon.  Disappointed, but they must-see better leadership qualities in Quinn more so than MacDonald.  

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, RWJ said:

I respect what you are saying, MartinC and if they have that list that they don't seem to be able to make a decision and there are too many cooks in the kitchen.  That's just me. :)  

I’m guessing we will find out what the decision is by Friday. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

I think the disappointment with Johnson is twofold.

One, the team clearly seemed to be waiting for him. And then he decided to stay in his old gig. That means something was not communicated or the team badly misread the situation. As a fan. I didn't want this new group to look anything less than 100 percent competent in this hiring process. And they failed that test in a fairly meaningful way.

Two, we're now at the point where the game of musical chairs is not only over for head coaches but for all the coordinators. It feels like every position is now going to be filled by someone that no one else wanted.

Granted, this is all perception and winning cures all. But I wanted the triumphant press conference with the hot young coordinator everyone coveted. You know, like real teams do.

Not seeing how they failed. They were waiting to interview in person 2 of the leading candidates.  At the last moment one pulled out of the process. You suggesting that they should have hired someone earlier in the process without interviewing what was perceived to be the 2 hottest prospects? I dont understand how you can take this scenario as failing the test. 

• Like 4

Just now, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I really don’t get any level of criticism on the ownership group or Peters for what transpired with Johnson.  What he did is unprecedented.

We did our homework.

Interviewed many candidates even before Lions were eliminated.

The rules said we had to wait for him to be eliminated before we could hire him.

He was the best candidate. Worth waiting for.

I'm not sure what we could've done differently based on the rules in the hiring process and the effort we put into him and other candidates.

I'm open to a rule where no new HC can be hired until after rhe Super Bowl...I get the reason why those still in the playoffs can't be hired, but we did what we could and now we're in a weird spot because of it.

This is NOT incompetence.

• Like 3
  • Thumb up 4

4 minutes ago, MartinC said:

I’m guessing we will find out what the decision is by Friday. 

I hope they blow everyone away with the HC hire with someone we would have never guessed on and can somehow make up for Johnson's gaffe which is not on them but Johnson.  Dreaming a bit, I know but I think Quinn is the guy.  Hoping to that whoever our new HC gets a great OC and DC.  Most of all backs the FO and leadership's claim of leadership first which is what they have been saying from the get to.  

Edited by RWJ

We need tos top being gloomers.  So what if we didn't get who the media thought we'd pick.  Who cares what they think?

Here's the reality:

This team was historically bad on Defense
We struggled on offense due to the slow growth of Howell, a lack of a Run Game, and pass block break downs.

Even though we fixed some of the blocking issues, that doesn't mean it is solved.   We have a lot of spots to fill in the offseason.  This team feels like it needs a tossing, and it may be that we need 2-3 years to really get back to being a solid team.  We might need more than one BAD year in a row.  So if that's the case, and we end up with a brief caretaker even if it means finding another coach in 2-3 years so what?

We are overselling ourselves. 

We always overvalue our talent.

We have multiple players who are not resigned for next year who may not be signed back

If this team doesn't land the elite talent they hoped for, in part because there wasn't an elite on the market, that is not the owner or Peters fault.  So if they come to that realization.  They still need to hire a Head Coach, they need a leader, and they need someone that may develop assistants, and that will make sure players are developed too.  TO me those are the key issues.  I wouldn't care if they Hired a hamster if he can lead and develop his team and staff.

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

This sums it up for me.  Quinn isn't the guy i want.  But i am not pretending i knopw more about Quinn versus Peters-Myers-Spielman who have sources and are actually interviewing him.  Or I have a better feel for Quinn than Logan Paulsen who actually played for him.

If that's who they hire, I'll trust it.  Yes because I trust Peters but more so because he has miles more information on these coaching prospects versus me or anyone else here.

And its not like Zorn out of nowhere hire.  We may not like the hire but at least by reputation Quinn wouldn't be some clownish move.  

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 4

4 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

Al Harris has been doing a great job for the Pukes. If it’s Quinn, I’d consider Harris to join the staff.

He probably brings as many D coaches as possible from Dallas that he wants, that he can.  I only hope we get a very good OC to work with him.  IF he is the hired HC.  Nothing official yet.  Just saying. :)  

Edited by RWJ

28 minutes ago, veteranskinsfan said:

Profootball talk reporting Slowick is staying with Houston Texans.  We are running out of good offensive minded coaches to select.

Looking like we are not as an attractive landing spot as we thought for certain coaches.

Based on beat guys reports Slowik wasn't likely going to get this job.   Didn't seem like he was going to get any job this cycle, he wasn't a hot candidate with Seatle either.   Apples to oranges with Johnson. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1