Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Moving Towards our Future Front Office and Coaching Hires. All the Way to the Water Boy - Adam Peters Hired as GM! The Mighty Quinn is HC Kliff Kingsbury as OC. Joe Whitt jr at DC.

Koolblue13

Quinn feels like Gregg Williams but the Dallas version of that.

When Gregg was here, he took over a bad defense and made it good and players loved him.  It's ditto with Quinn and Dallas.

Like in Washington, we thought Gregg might be Gibbs successor and we hoped his 2nd stint as a HC would be better than his first.  Same narrative seems to be in Dallas.  Heard a bunch of times they saw Quinn as the successor.  Forgot which reporter said it but recall one said they wouldn't be shocked if Jerry fired McCarthy if he thought Quinn was leaving and he'd promote Quinn in that case.

I didn't care that much at the time because it never felt relevant to this team.

Quinn isn't the dude I want.  But it never escaped me that Dallas' brass and players love Quinn.  And if that's who we hire it would be analogous to back in that day Gregg Williams hired as the HC for Dallas.

It would add a twist to the Dallas rivalry felt more by Dallas fans than it would to us. 

Quinn is also fiery like Williams.  He strikes me Williams without the nasty edge.

Edited by Skinsinparadise

I’m in this weird spot where I feel like I should be grateful considering all we’ve been through.  To get rid of Dan, hire a guy like Peters, have the #2 pick and a ton of cap space is really fairy-tale like.  Adding a brilliant offensive mind to develop the QB we select at 2 just felt so right and in alignment with all of that.

While I feel like we dodged a bullet, because Johnson clearly isn’t head coach material- I still can’t help but feel negative because of where we sit now.  I’m not even of the mindset that Quinn is Ron 2.  I really like a lot of what I’ve read about Quinn and who he is as a man and coach.  As much as a lot of you don’t want to hear it, he is highly regarded by former and current players.  What I think separates him from many retreads is his own acknowledgment of where he went wrong in his first stint and how he was going to learn from that.  Most coaches ego won’t allow them to be that honest with themselves.  

But at the end of the day, we are still getting stuck with scraps right now from an overall staff standpoint and the thought of drafting a QB without an elite coach to develop said QB is enough that it’s just hard for me to be thankful about how fortunate we’ve been over the last year to rid ourselves of Dan and Ron.  It’s not fair to HOG and Peter’s, but I just can’t shake it.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Chris 44 said:

Thats why its so important that regardless of HC we hit on an excellent OC and QB coach.

Im very interested to see who the assistants are, hoping we can develop a true talent pipe line that can continuously step up as needed when others get promoted.

2 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

The problem is there are no good assistants left. Were gonna be stuck with crap

The league did not run out of coordinator candidates. Klint Kubiak would be an excellent hire. I'd love to see them poach Brunell or Tanner Engstrand from Detroit. IF they made Hank Fraley the OC, would he come? Just to confuse the crap out of people, how about Ben McDaniels to serve under Mike Macdonald. Not to be confused with Mike McDaniels.

• Like 4

53 minutes ago, OtisDriftwood25 said:

Quinn is not my choice but he’s definitely not Rivera. He’s an emotional leader and called plays for a top 5 defense last year. 

Quinn had a Top 3 MINIMUM unit at his disposal last season. Finishing 5th in overall defence is perhaps if not the expectation, just below it.

• Thumb up 1

9 hours ago, Conn said:

Are you trolling? We hired a GM. A different guy. Named Adam Peters. Myers is an advisor to Harris, not a football talent evaluator. The door is open for Myers to stick around after this coaching search, but it’s not guaranteed. He’s a consultant. Doesn’t even know how to watch football tape.

Nah, not trolling, I don't do that. I meant Peter's and typed Meyers. 

• Thanks 2
  • Thumb up 1

1 hour ago, just654 said:

That quote was from last year. 

Wouldn't change where I'm at even if that's true.

He clearly doesn't want to leave even though he easily can.

He needs to stop sending mixed signals, but Detroit needs him right now and everyone knows it.

Is what it is.

• Thumb up 1

Just now, Riggo#44 said:

The league did not run out of coordinator candidates. Klint Kubiak would be an excellent hire. I'd love to see them poach Brunell or Tanner Engstrand from Detroit. IF they made Hank Fraley the OC, would he come? Just to confuse the crap out of people, how about Ben McDaniels to serve under Mike Macdonald. Not to be confused with Mike McDaniels.

I imagine there are a bunch of guys out there flying under the radar because they are on crap teams, crap players or just plain out of the limelight that most people not on the inside even know about. This would include current OC's and position coaches. 

• Like 1

If we want to become the next Quick Rising team like Detroit, then we need to hire an inspiring, organized leader of men with innovative coordinators.  Ben is not yet that leader.

Although McDonald is more exciting, Quinn would weaken the Cowboys and bring inside knowledge of how to beat them and a strong understanding of our division and own perceived weaknesses.

If we looked at our 2013 team youd think we had bad coaches but 5 are now great head coaches. If you look at Cleveland with Beichock and Saban you would think they were bad coaches.  With our new amazing GM and Quinn's learning from the experience it has potential.

Peters is the key.  Its fun for we fans to dream but lets follow the lead of the man who's won at every job he's had.

Hail to the Redskins...er uh Commanders!

• Like 1
  • Thumb down 1

3 minutes ago, BrentMeisterGeneral said:

Quinn had a Top 3 MINIMUM unit at his disposal last season. Finishing 5th in overall defence is perhaps if not the expectation, just below it.

That could be debatable. Did anyone know about Daron Bland before last year? He had a couple bad linebackers. A couple safety’s nobody heard of. Development turned these guys into household names.

None of us are privy to the discussions going on within the organization about this situation. I wouldn't assume they were set on Johnson or that they're set on Quinn now. We simply don't know, and neither do the radio/Twitter guys.

I'm staying calm and trusting the new team in charge.

Edited by profusion
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

11 minutes ago, BrentMeisterGeneral said:

This seems wildly arbitrary.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

Re: Macdonald’s personality.  Saw this on a Seahawks board, FWIW:

“The one thing I can guarantee is that Mike Macdonald will not be taking his shirt off in front of DK Metcalf at any time,” Hensley joked, referring to former Seahawks coach Pete Carroll’s infamous interaction with the wide receiver at the NFL combine in 2019.

Point being, if Macdonald comes to Seattle, his demeanor would be a departure from what the team and its fans have become accustomed to.

“He does not have that kind of personality. He even describes himself, and a lot of his family members describe him, as an introvert,” Hensley said. “He is not a guy that I think really excels or feels very comfortable in large group settings addressing, but he is smart and he knows how to get the best out of players and he can relate to players one on one.”

• Thanks 1

Yes, Quinn is loved by Dallas players. And they rewarded him by embarrassing the whole organization on wildcard weekend. Players love Jerry too. Jerry World is a circus, and spoiled players like being pampered. As for Quinn's supposed top defense, what are his numbers in 2023 against winning teams outside of our dumpster fire division. Eagles imploded and were exposed; New York is trash; and our team made every coordinator look brilliant. That's 1/3 of the schedule favoring Quinn's statistics. How did he do against Buffalo? The 49ers? The Packers? Quinn is not the guy!

• Like 1

Just now, Professor_Nutter_Butter said:

I like how there are some people both here and elsewhere trying their hardest to convince themselves Quinn is a solid hire. 

Maybe some of us meant it when we said we want professional football people making the decisions.  Quinn may be the right guy, he may be the wrong guy.  But over a long stretch of time, football professionals making the decisions have a much higher likelihood of sustained success than owners or fanbase opinions.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1

4 minutes ago, Professor_Nutter_Butter said:

I like how there are some people both here and elsewhere trying their hardest to convince themselves Quinn is a solid hire. 

Old enough to remember the original Legion of Boom in Seattle and watching him stand no chance against the GOAT officially becoming the GOAT in the super bowl while with Atlanta.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Professor_Nutter_Butter said:

Whoever is hired will be followed by a blizzard of "I trust the new regime" even if the people saying it really don't. The cope is going to be very strong.

Some people, a very select few, will be genuinely jazzed about a Quinn hire. I won't be counted among them. But hell, maybe he works out and he becomes my favorite coach for this franchise of all time not named Gibbs. But I'm not going to look at the hire and say, "YES! THIS REGIME RULES!"

We will also continue to hear that Johnson wasn't a great candidate anyways and we didn't want or need him.

• Like 3

Just now, Riggo#44 said:

This seems wildly arbitrary.

It's not really though is it, you and I both know Dallas has studs on the D side of the ball and that expectations were high coming into the season.

While I don't wish to completely disregard Quinn as a coach, he clearly does have good attributes and can point to certain successes and I'd fully accept and give him credit where it's due.

But the facts remain, he's a .500 HC and that was with an established QB in Matt Ryan, and I'd say he's probably met expectations of that defence in Dallas which has studs on it. Hiring him to a position with no established QB 1, minimal defensive talent and tasking him with rebuilding the franchise because he's a 'good guy' or a 'good leader' just boggles my mind. That leadership still has to be married with a high level of ability of which I think he's been proven to be mediocre.

I’m really disappointed that Johnson gave us (and the Seahawks) tfw run around the last few weeks.  As a result of his last second change of mind, we’re on the outside looking in when it comes to coaching candidates left.  I really wanted an offensive coaching hire, but I guess I’ll try to convince myself that MacDonald could be just as great a hire, but I would sour quickly on our search, if we end up hiring Quinn.  That would be such a let down, and Quinn would join the list of former DC’s we hired as HC that would underwhelm during his coaching tenure.  I really hope it’s not Quinn.  

We had such excitement and enthusiasm, until Johnson pulled the rug from underneath us.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Re: Macdonald’s personality.  Saw this on a Seahawks board, FWIW:

“The one thing I can guarantee is that Mike Macdonald will not be taking his shirt off in front of DK Metcalf at any time,” Hensley joked, referring to former Seahawks coach Pete Carroll’s infamous interaction with the wide receiver at the NFL combine in 2019.

Point being, if Macdonald comes to Seattle, his demeanor would be a departure from what the team and its fans have become accustomed to.

“He does not have that kind of personality. He even describes himself, and a lot of his family members describe him, as an introvert,” Hensley said. “He is not a guy that I think really excels or feels very comfortable in large group settings addressing, but he is smart and he knows how to get the best out of players and he can relate to players one on one.”

That has been posted before but that does not align with his mic'd up at all. Does he seem introverted here to anyone?

• Thanks 1