Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Moving Towards our Future Front Office and Coaching Hires. All the Way to the Water Boy - Adam Peters Hired as GM! The Mighty Quinn is HC Kliff Kingsbury as OC. Joe Whitt jr at DC.

Koolblue13

7 minutes ago, profusion said:

I don't agree with this. The point of having a first-class FO is that there is a constant talent pipeline of coaches moving up within the organization. You want the BEST coaches, and those guys are going to get opportunities elsewhere. That's a good thing. When they do, it's next man up. Let's start developing a coaching tree, not trying to be beneficiary of someone else's.

I can relate to what your saying, I think though if you bring in a Frank Reich or someone like that (years of experience) that the entire tenure of his time here as the OC that of course there would be some young Buck under him watching and learning and waiting in the fold to finally get the keys to the car when Reich or someone like him would call it quits, it’s just not a perfect scenario for a first time HC to give the keys over to a first yr coordinator, could it work? Of course and it has, but it’s not the blue print imho and just cause something worked elsewhere doesn’t mean it will work everywhere 

Edited by Command The 414

3 minutes ago, Command The 414 said:

I can relate to what your saying, I think though if you bring in a Frank Reich or someone like that (years of experience) that the entire tenure of his time here as the OC that of course there would be some young Buck under him watching and learning and waiting in the fold to finally get the keys to the car when Reich or someone like him would call it quits, it’s just not a perfect scenario for a first time HC to give the keys over to a first yr coordinator, could it work? Of course and it has, but it’s not the blue print imho 

Historically, I think your approach works better with veteran DCs who come in to run the defense under a new HC coming from the offensive side. Nothing against Reich.

Houston might be a good model to follow, but I think it'll be another year or two to see how it sustains when they lose coordinators to other teams. The owners there don't have a great track record that way. San Francisco and Baltimore are probably the best current models of sustainable success, but they're very different. I see the key as being a really good FO that can create sustainability by constantly finding good coaches who fit the team's culture and blueprint. The operation can't hinge on the presence of a single person.

• Thumb up 1

There is an implication among some on this board that Slowik is a "nice guy" and may not possess the necessary leadership skills to run a team as a HC.  What is the basis for that position.  I watched the press conference he held before the Browns game and I saw a passionate, well spoken and focused individual.  Maybe he is not a screamer.  Maybe he earns the players trust by having their back and showing that he cares about them as people and players.  Leadership skills come in different formats.  I trust the new regime to make the right call

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

38 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Development of young Qb is important but its more important to get a leader of men who can build this team for the long run.

I mean you think the Bills regret hiring Sean Mcdermott over Josh Mcdaniels and Adam Gase?

I don’t think this is the same as our current situation, and I don’t think blanket comparisons ever work. 

We need to focus on the offensive side because there are excellent offensive candidates in this coaching cycle. If there weren’t, and the defensive coaches completely outclass them, you have to look in that direction.

If we don’t land Johnson or Slowik then defensive coaches are probably in line next. 

You don’t just grab an offensive guy to grab one… if you did, we would wind up with Bienemy. No thanks.

1 hour ago, FootballZombie said:

Both Johnson and Slowik call plays in their current orgs.

I'd naturally assume that they would both call plays when they assume the title of HC, and the OC would be more of an assistant. Something not too far off from what Andy Reid does with the Chiefs.

There is no guarantee it shakes out this way, but when you have the kind of success these guys have had as playcallers, Its probably the most likely pathway.

Slowik has coached both sides of the ball, so he gets a feather in his cap for that one.

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

4 minutes ago, KDawg said:

If we don’t land Johnson or Slowik then defensive coaches are probably in line next

Yeah, as things stand with a rookie QB incoming, either Johnson or Slowik need to come through the door IMO. I see that as our best chance of progression.

• Like 1

Listening to Standig's podcast with a Chargers beat guy and also a podcast where Standig was on with Sheehan.  They talked about Ben Johnson some.   They are hearing Johnson is the 1A choice of multiple teams among the coordinators. 

The Chargers reporter said Johnson is under consideration and its not a done deal that it will be Harbaugh but the thinks Harbaugh might have an edge because the Chargers haven't gone with a seasoned guy for quite some times as to their hires.   But Johnson's offense impressed some from the Chargers brass when they put up 40 plus points up against them last season.

Standing told Sheehan he has heard Johnson linked to this team more than any other but his gut it it won't be him.

Digesting all of that and the podcast of Keim with Mike Jones.  Ben Johnson will likely be chased by multiple teams.   He's the hottest ticket from the newbees by a mile.  I don't know if yesterday changes this for Slowik.  But pre-yesterday, Slowik comes off as the much easier get if a team wanted him.

Edited by Skinsinparadise

35 minutes ago, profusion said:

Historically, I think your approach works better with veteran DCs who come in to run the defense under a new HC coming from the offensive side. Nothing against Reich.

Houston might be a good model to follow, but I think it'll be another year or two to see how it sustains when they lose coordinators to other teams. The owners there don't have a great track record that way. San Francisco and Baltimore are probably the best current models of sustainable success, but they're very different. I see the key as being a really good FO that can create sustainability by constantly finding good coaches who fit the team's culture and blueprint. The operation can't hinge on the presence of a single person.

Baltimore is imho the best ran franchise in the NFL, they’ve lost so many DC over the years and pretty much just took next man up, except for Mike McDonald (who was on the staff in a much smaller role before going to Michigan for a year) then coming back after Wink mutually departed.  But their success all starts at the top, it’s not 1 person or even 2-3 it’s them as a whole, the entire franchise powers that be down to the water engineers.  They keep replacing FO ppl to coaches to players every year and keep on ticking (kinda like the energizer Bunny) but having said all that, just cause it works there doesn’t automatically make it a blueprint for us to follow unless Harris and Company hires and gets the right people in the right places for sustainability over several years, kinda like it was growing up a Redskins fan in the 80’s to early 90’s like I did 

• Like 4

Who has Ben Johnson worked under? Adam Gase? He has also not developed a QB. Obviously the guy has skills otherwise he would not be in such demand but his pedigree doesn't  scream slam dunk. Slovik spent all those  years with the Shanahans, McVay, McDaniels LeFleur etc. Plus what he is doing with CJ Stroud is just next level. 

• Like 3
  • Thumb up 1

55 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I don’t think this is the same as our current situation, and I don’t think blanket comparisons ever work. 

We need to focus on the offensive side because there are excellent offensive candidates in this coaching cycle. If there weren’t, and the defensive coaches completely outclass them, you have to look in that direction.

If we don’t land Johnson or Slowik then defensive coaches are probably in line next. 

You don’t just grab an offensive guy to grab one… if you did, we would wind up with Bienemy. No thanks.

I think this team is in such a position with Harris and minority ownership (especially with Irving Johnson) and our advisors (Myers and Spielman) that we will get whoever they decide is the best HC for this team. For the first time since Bobby Beathard now that we have hired an almost replica type with Adam Peters, we can all take a deep breath and relax.  It's all good!  Who is Dan Snyder!!!

• Like 2

Listening  to Keim's podcast today with a SF reporter.  If you wanted to get pumped about next season, this podcast would do it.  This dude came off like he had 5 cups of coffee and he was drinking the Kool Aid for this team.

That dude was enthusiastic about much.  He thought this is the best opening in the NFL.  Peters was very happy in SF but this job was too good to pass up on.  And he suspects its the only job he would have wanted.

He goes Peters was the most signficant figure in the SF rebuild when Kyle got here.  Losing him is a signficant loss.    His stamp is all over the SF drafts.  Good at finding late round gems.  He knows how to find players that fit their scheme. 

Unlike two of my other listens from SF people, he seems enthusiastic about Slowik as a HC. So that's good.  Don't get me wrong, the others liked him and weren't down on him at all but seemed to wonder about his personality transition to HC because they found him on the quiet side.  

This dude was also positive on Mayhew from his stint in SF.  He thinks he can stay in DC or maybe SF grabs him back.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

7 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Listening  to Keim's podcast today with a SF reporter.  If you wanted to get pumped about next season, this podcast would do it.  This dude came off like he had 5 cups of coffee and he was drinking the Kool Aid for this team.

That dude was enthusiastic about much.  He thought this is the best opening in the NFL.  Peters was very happy in SF but this job was too good to pass up on.  And he suspects its the only job he would have wanted.

He goes Peters was the most signficant figure in the SF rebuild when Kyle got here.  Losing him is a signficant loss.    His stamp is all over the SF drafts.  Good at finding late round gems.  He knows how to find players that fit their scheme. 

Unlike two of my other listens from SF people, he seems enthusiastic about Slowik as a HC. So that's good.  Don't get me wrong, the others liked him and weren't down on him at all but seemed to wonder about his personality transition to HC because they found him on the quiet side.  

This dude was also positive on Mayhew from his stint in SF.  He thinks he can stay in DC or maybe SF grabs him back.

They key factor in all of this was Peters.  Harris got his guy!  It is a joy to know we have a near replica, IMO of Bobby Beathard running this team again.  See my post above yours.  Happy Days are here again, Brother!!! :) 

• Like 3

As far as being concerned that Ben Johnson hasn't had to groom a young QB.  

Lets start with Ben played QB in college  i gather that helps as to understanding QBs.  Also was a QB coach.  TE coach.  WR coach.  Passing coordinator. Played at North Carolina which is likely the same school where we draft a QB at #2.

As for why he's hailed around the league among the coordinators more than any other?  Don't know.  But we don't know everything that others around the league know about all these coordinators.

https://www.golongtd.com/p/why-ben-johnson-is-atop-the-coaching?utm_source=post-email-title&publication_id=222258&post_id=140384607&utm_campaign=email-post-title&isFreemail=false&r=aravn&utm_medium=email

Why Ben Johnson is atop the coaching wish list

As Black Monday looms, expect many teams to woo Detroit Lions' offensive coordinator. Here's why.

When mass interviews begin, the name Ben Johnson will circulate more than any other. The Detroit Lions’ offensive coordinator will be in high-demand — rightfully so.

This rebuild in the Motor City, of course, has been meticulous. The Lions have transformed from 3-13-1 to 9-8 to 11-5 contenders with Johnson, the OC, building one of the most dynamic offenses in the NFL. His play design is innovative. His playcalling, fearless. Production speaks for itself: Detroit ranks sixth in passing (4,286 yards), fourth in rushing (2,241 yards) and have scored the third-most touchdowns (54) in the NFL. Jared Goff revitalized his career. When this unit is synchronized, rushing lanes part like the sea. Receivers are wide open. There are flea-flickers… and third-down passes to Penei Sewell… and 2-point passes to Taylor Decker. The Lions turn Sundays into backyard football.

...Yet, the job is also more than X’s and O’s.

That’s why one longtime Buffalo Bill was so forceful with his personal PSA for owners:

“No. 1: Try to learn football. A little bit,” he said, in Part II of The McDermott Problem.

“No. 2: Just because people are good playcallers does not mean they’re good leaders of an entire f--king organization.”

The job demands more. So, while visiting the Detroit Lions for a story we’ll be posting next week, I figured it was worth learning more about the assistant coach dominating the coaching rumor mill: Ben Johnson. Players cannot guarantee the Lions OC will spark a renaissance wherever he lands, but they sure like his odds. Yes, the reason Johnson has become such a hot commodity is the video-game offense he created. But he also has a unique vantage point. There are bad football teams, and then there’s the historically cursed Lions. A team with one playoff win since 1957. He’s seen, firsthand, how Dan Campbell changed everything.

Getting players to genuinely believe is a skill.

Doing so while still demanding accountability is even harder.

Once this regular season concludes, there’s a reasonable chance Detroit finishes with a 4,000-yard passer (Goff), two 1,000-yard rushers (David Montgomery, Jahmyr Gibbs), a 1,400-yard wide receiver (Amon-Ra St. Brown) and a 900-yard tight end (Sam LaPorta). Six times the Lions have eclipsed 400 yards of offense in a game. Under the coordination of Matt Canada, the Steelers infamously failed to reach the 400 mark in 58 straight games. Unpredictability reigns in Detroit. This collection of weapons kill opponents with paper cuts, with 15-play drives. They also take shots deep. And finish in the red zone, scoring touchdowns 63 percent of the time (fifth-best in the NFL). And run where most teams pass. And pass where most teams run. Remember this fourth and 1 at Lambeau Field last year? It’s almost impossible for opposing coordinators to nail down his tendencies because the Lions are capable of jamming 11 bodies together to play smashmouth and spreading five receivers wide.

Reynolds estimates that the Lions are in the perfect play call for whichever defensive alignment they face 80 percent of the time. It’s a look they practiced all week. The second receivers see it, they’re practically salivating.  

Always, the Lions stay aggressive. They’re 39 of 75 on fourth downs the past two seasons with Johnson’s playcalling complementing Campbell’s brass-balls nature.

This is the trait that stands out most as a playcaller.

Says Reynolds: “He’s not scared.”

LaPorta, a Pro Bowler in Year 1, first cites the offensive line as the foundation to it all. A nasty unit to be sure. The rookie has seen Johnson devise plays he’s never imagined.

But it’s also when Johnson decides to call such plays. He challenges norms.

“You just see different things drawn up every week that you say, ‘Wow, man, I never would’ve thought of doing that,’” LaPorta says. “It’s the creativity and also not having the fear of actually calling those plays. I think a lot of coordinators in the NFL are skeptical or hesitant to maybe run some of the things that you see us run. ‘Man! Wow, that worked for them. I can’t believe they ran that!’”

Like anything in life, you’re not scared when you’re prepared.

Fearlessness is rooted in an obsession with details. Johnson loves telling players that details are the secret sauce to this Lions offense.

Drilling plays down to the step. Johnson actually arrived in Detroit two years before Campbell as a quality control coach in 2019. He has climbed the ladder from QC to tight ends coach to passing game coordinator to full-fledged offensive coordinator through different regimes. Quarterback David Blough has been here every step of the way, too. He also arrived in ’19 and has seen Johnson grow immensely over the last five seasons.

A QC background always comes in handy. You cut up so much film, you’re bound to store a few tricks away for the future. Like, say, a “Philly Special.”

Johnson is described as an effective teacher. He’s able to transfer everything players see on film to the field.

“A gifted communicator,” Blough says. “His whole career has just been founded in hard work where he’s been the grinder just his whole time and he’s not afraid to be creative. So he maximizes his guys’ skill-sets and then allows them to go and play fast because of the way he communicates the details. His gift is definitely communicating details.”

There’s always been a method to the fake-punt madness in Detroit. One of those inspiring speeches on Hard Knocks only means something if the head coach’s actions back it up. To extinguish “bad juju” — to now chase a championship — Campbell is constantly proving to the players he believes in them. Blough believes Johnson’s creativity feeds into this approach.

Campbell may be in his own class as a public speaker. Human Red Bull.

But Johnson is no slouch.

Nobody was quite sure what to expect before his OC days, though knew he helped lead T.J. Hockensen to the Pro Bowl. Blough calls the OC a “dynamic” communicator in front of the room, adding that players naturally gravitate toward him.

“You see how he prepares for all of his meetings,” Blough says. “There’s no stone left unturned when it comes to this. I’m really proud to see what he’s built. He’s the best I’ve been around.”

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

As far as being concerned that Ben Johnson hasn't had to groom a young QB.  

Lets start with Ben played QB in college  i gather that helps as to understanding QBs.  Also was a QB coach.  TE coach.  WR coach.  Passing coordinator. Played at North Carolina which is likely the same school where we draft a QB at #2.

As for why he's hailed around the league among the coordinators more than any other?  Don't know.  But we don't know everything that others around the league know about all these coordinators.

https://www.golongtd.com/p/why-ben-johnson-is-atop-the-coaching?utm_source=post-email-title&publication_id=222258&post_id=140384607&utm_campaign=email-post-title&isFreemail=false&r=aravn&utm_medium=email

Wh

I think I can sum why teams are enthusiastic about Ben Johnson and this is not saying anything bad about Slowik as I am a fan of his too, the word:  Creativity! 

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

1 minute ago, clskinsfan said:

Morris is interesting because he has coached on both sides of the ball since he was fired from Tampa. I think he will be better than his first chance at a HC gig. 

My response on this is not directed towards you, cls. :)  We cool!  No, no and no!  Raheem had his chances to be HC.  To me, he is a forever good to very good DC and nothing more.  

• Like 3

@Skinsinparadise to you but all others.  When Harris and Co. put together their plan for GM and, I also believe HC.  It has connections to it.  Even the social media beat reporters have linked it.  Myers for Peters and Spielman for Johnson.  They zeroed in and got target #1 and I think it was made clear to Peters the direction they wanted to go just like Harrs told the fans in his press interview after the firing of RR, "Thorough and Rapid" So far; so good.  Peters down and now Johnson in sight and when the smoke and fire clear, Johnson down as HC.  All is just my opinion.  Peters was thought a seriously hard get to leave and become GM/VP of Football OPS but in the words of Joe Willie "We did it!".  We will finish the journey with both targets secured!  

2 minutes ago, Llevron said:

But is he a ****ing LEADER?? Of MEN??? 

Don't make me post my picture again of you know who, Ll!  LOL.  😆

Just now, RWJ said:

@Skinsinparadise to you but all others.  When Harris and Co. put together their plan for GM and, I also believe HC.  It has connections to it.  Even the social media beat reporters have linked it.  Myers for Peters and Spielman for Johnson.  They zeroed in and got target #1 and I think it was made clear to Peters the direction they wanted to go just like Harrs told the fans in his press interview after the firing of RR, "Thorough and Rapid" So far; so good.  Peters down and now Johnson in sight and when the smoke and fire clear, Johnson down as HC.  All is just my opinion.  Peters was thought a seriously hard get to leave and become GM/VP of Football OPS but in the words of Joe Willie "We did it!".  We will finish the journey with both targets secured!  

John Keim already debunked this theory on Twitter or X or whatevet it's called now. 

Just now, ThatNFLChick said:

John Keim already debunked this theory on Twitter or X or whatevet it's called now. 

John is waffling right now, TNC.  He doesn't know because there is a plethora of HC set up to interview.  Just sit back and watch what happens.  If I am wrong, so be it. 

https://www.si.com/nfl/commanders/news/washington-commanders-rumors-adam-peters-ian-cunningham-bobby-slowik-steve-wilks-brian-johnson

Bobby Slowik: Offensive Coordinator, Houston Texans

Connection to Peters: Served in various roles on 49ers coaching staff -- including passing game coordinator -- from 2017-2022.

Picking the hot offensive coordinator to be your next coach doesn't always work out, but it's undeniable how effective Slowik has been working not only with rookie quarterback C.J. Stroud, but young weapons like receivers Nico Collins and Tank Dell. Maybe Slowik needs another year or two of seasoning as an OC, but the Commanders have already requested an interview with him, according to Nicki Jhabvala of The Washington Post

Mike LaFleur: Offensive Coordinator, Los Angeles Rams

Connection to Peters: Was passing game coordinator for 49ers from 2017-2020

LaFleur being part of the unsuccessful development of former No. 2 overall pick Zach Wilson probably hurts him in this discussion, especially considering the Commanders are likely to take a quarterback with the second overall pick in 2024. At the same time, the 2021 New York Jets were probably the worst roster in the NFL, and it looks increasingly possible that Wilson was destined to be a bust wherever he landed. It's telling that LaFleur immediately landed on Sean McVay's staff as the Rams offensive coordinator, and with connections to him, Kyle Shanahan, and, of course, his older brother Matt, it feels like a matter of when the 36-year-old becomes a coach himself. 

Steve Wilks: Defensive Coordinator, San Francisco 49ers

Connection to Peters: Worked together with 49ers in 2023

Wilks was seemingly set up for failure by the Arizona Cardinals in his first shot at being a coach, getting fired after a barren roster went 3-13 in 2018. However, he led the Carolina Panthers to a 6-6 record as their interim coach in 2022, which is impressive considering they had gone 1-4 before Matt Rhule was fired. There was a bit of an adjustment period as he took over for DeMeco Ryans as defensive coordinator in San Francisco this season, but the 54-year-old unquestionably deserves another shot to coach in the NFL. 

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1