Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

If Paddleboat Ron leaves, is promoted, or traded at the deadline, who do you want as our next coach?

Redskinscub

2 hours ago, Conn said:

He was bad and stewarded a horrendous locker room in Miami while he was there, no thanks.  

I won't agree that "bad" is the proper way to label his tenure. He got decent results with not a lot. But yeah, all the talk since he left is that players didn't like playing for him, the locker room was getting out of control and that they had to move on from him to salvage Tua's career. 

The bloom is off the rose on his HC prospects. 

I just want a Head Coach that gives us some kind of advantage on gamedays. Doesn't necessarily have to be an offensive guy, although that is the current trend, but I actually think we could potentially be a trend setter if we went for a young defensive guru that could possibly counter all the offense out there and really maximize our talent on that side of the ball. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Warhead36 said:

I just want a Head Coach that gives us some kind of advantage on gamedays. Doesn't necessarily have to be an offensive guy, although that is the current trend, but I actually think we could potentially be a trend setter if we went for a young defensive guru that could possibly counter all the offense out there and really maximize our talent on that side of the ball. 

No.  Unless the defensive coach we hire is a DeMeco Ryan’s, I want nothing to do with DC’s who are angling to become HC’s, especially if we draft a QB down the road, or we stick with Howell.  I want the best young offensive mind we can find, and pair them with our QB.  DC’s that become HC’s don’t work in today’s NFL.  Unless you’re Mike Tomlin or Bill Belichick, chances are that you won’t be an HC that can bring your team into contention.  Today’s league is offensively oriented and slanted, so why would we be the team to break that mold?  Especially with talented HC’s in the league like Kyle Shanahan, Sean McVay, Mike McDaniel and Andy Reid?

We already have a team built mainly in the defensive mold, and you see the current results.  Even if we had a much better DC, no defense in today’s NFL is stopping Pat Mahommes/Andy Reid or any other talented QB/HC combo.

Edited by samy316
  • Like 1

It seems the only way to have an offensive design that sticks around for 4 plus years is to have an HC involved in offensive design. It's too important for the growth of QBs

I'm a defensive minded guy also but QB and skill position rythym  and design is more important to have continuity 

Edited by XxSpearheadxX

1 minute ago, Redskinscub said:

Whomever we get, I hope they are Fan centric

how is a head coach supposed to be fan-centric? 

Don’t get me wrong, we could poll the crowd at games for playcalls and do better than the current crew.

But I don’t get how the head coach himself is supposed to be fan-centric. His job is to coach. And the GM’s job will be to build the roster and manage its assets.

I’m guessing the guy you’re looking for will be on the business side. Probably Wright’s replacement. 

2 hours ago, Conn said:

how is a head coach supposed to be fan-centric? 

Don’t get me wrong, we could poll the crowd at games for playcalls and do better than the current crew.

But I don’t get how the head coach himself is supposed to be fan-centric. His job is to coach. And the GM’s job will be to build the roster and manage its assets.

I’m guessing the guy you’re looking for will be on the business side. Probably Wright’s replacement. 

It was said tongue in cheek.  If you remember when paddleboat Ron was hired, they wanted the organization to be coach centric. That obviously has not worked

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Interestingly, I was thinking just the other day we haven’t heard a peep from Jason. 

Unless I missed something, not a single little peep. 

I think Harris has already decided what he's going to do when this season ends.

It was too late to make changes when he acquired the team, but those changes are coming. 

He's just biding his time, I think. There was a report, I think either the week of the Bills or Bears blowout games, that he was seen up in the box drinking and laughing.

That upset some people,  but I don't think it's because he doesn't care. Harris, I believe,  has checked out on these coaches, and is waiting for the time to drop the hammer on them and maybe the whole front office as well. 🤔

I liked the idea of Ben Johnson last season and was glad he didn’t take a HC job this year.

If we can’t get him, another name I’d throw out there is Bobby Slowick. Currently the OC in Houston in his first year and doing nice things with Stroud. Before that he had several years working with Kyle in SF. Got his start here in 2011 as a defensive assistant. Grew up in the game as his father was a coach in the league including here as a linebacker’s coach.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SkinsGuy said:

I think Harris has already decided what he's going to do when this season ends.

It was too late to make changes when he acquired the team, but those changes are coming. 

He's just biding his time, I think. There was a report, I think either the week of the Bills or Bears blowout games, that he was seen up in the box drinking and laughing.

That upset some people,  but I don't think it's because he doesn't care. Harris, I believe,  has checked out on these coaches, and is waiting for the time to drop the hammer on them and maybe the whole front office as well. 🤔

I'm going to have to disagree that it was "too late" to make changes when the sale becomes final. Snyder agreed to sell him the team in May, four months before the season. He could have (should have) been doing is reaching out to candidates to take over football operations before it became official in July, nearly two months before the season. He should have been researching and considering potential candidates before then.

Would have given the new guy the year to assess (in particular being close tot he team gives you a chance tp appraise players' characters and such), as well as giving him an early start on filling out the whole FO before the offseason. And, obviously, that person would be in position to take of this trade deadline which could/should be a chance to build for the future.

It actually becomes an issue hiring front office types after he season became teams don't want to release people from contacts who have worked on their draft boards.

This isn't unforgivable sin or anything, and I'm not making a huge deal about it or anything. But it was a missed opportunity and therefore a mistake, imo.  

1 hour ago, Ball Security said:

I liked the idea of Ben Johnson last season and was glad he didn’t take a HC job this year.

If we can’t get him, another name I’d throw out there is Bobby Slowick. Currently the OC in Houston in his first year and doing nice things with Stroud. Before that he had several years working with Kyle in SF. Got his start here in 2011 as a defensive assistant. Grew up in the game as his father was a coach in the league including here as a linebacker’s coach.

Would be yet another member of the Mike S staff here to get a HC job. 

Edited by Rufus T Firefly
  • Like 2

34 minutes ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

I'm going to have to disagree that it was "too late" to make changes when the sale becomes final. Snyder agreed to sell him the team in May, four months before the season. He could have (should have) been doing is reaching out to candidates to take over football operations before it became official in July, nearly two months before the season. He should have been researching and considering potential candidates before then.

Would have given the new guy the year to assess (in particular being close tot he team gives you a chance tp appraise players' characters and such), as well as giving him an early start on filling out the whole FO before the offseason. And, obviously, that person would be in position to take of this trade deadline which could/should be a chance to build for the future.

It actually becomes an issue hiring front office types after he season became teams don't want to release people from contacts who have worked on their draft boards.

This isn't unforgivable sin or anything, and I'm not making a huge deal about it or anything. But it was a missed opportunity and therefore a mistake, imo.  

Ron has that authority. Do, he couldn’t bring someone in to go front office moves this year.

1 hour ago, Ball Security said:

Yep. I think both Slowik and Drew Petzig are guys who should be considered. I’m impressed by how competitive the AZ offense has been so far with Dobbs and, if Kyler plays well, his stock will go higher.

With Slowik, I am curious about his personality. He worked for PFF - is he just a smart analytical dude or is he a leader too?

42 minutes ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

This take doesn’t make sense. You really can’t get a guy to leave his job in the summer right before the season. He is not going to be able to bring his staff too. You would be limiting yourselves to guys outside of football

10 minutes ago, method man said:

This take doesn’t make sense. You really can’t get a guy to leave his job in the summer right before the season. He is not going to be able to bring his staff too. You would be limiting yourselves to guys outside of football

You can't get people to take a promotion to one of the 32 most coveted Front Office positions in the NFL in July? 

Are you serious?

• Like 1