Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2024 NFL Draft Position/Tracker - Final Pick #2

zCommander

3 hours ago, The Consigliere said:

#1: Processing ability

#2: Ability to make all the throws-Check (already good for all 3 of those guys)

#3: First in, last out mentality with practice (Nacua established a new standard for this over the summer apparently joining the 4am crew of tape geeks that included Cooper Kupp, McVay and an OC if memory serves. Wish I knew about that before my rookie drafts). 

#4: Mental Make up Grade Corollary to #3 (Is he a leader? Do players enjoy playing for him. Can he be go to guy, regardless of his approach? Is he healthy psychologically? First in, last  out etc). 

#5: Medicals

#6 - Penix size

• Haha 5

8 minutes ago, Curtisp5286 said:

I’d there any place where the odds of finding a franchise QB are better?

Now admittedly that’s a snarky question, but truthfully, if not with a very high pick, what is the best way to get a top-10 QB?

Good question? 

3 hours ago, The Consigliere said:

Worth noting how close things were. Consider these key results:

Cardinals upset Eagles a few weeks ago.

We give up game winning drive to the vaunted Jets with mere seconds remaining.

Those results change up & we are picking 5th instead. It's not that dramatic, but that would put us at 5th, 37th, 69th, and 105th instead of 2nd, 36th, 67th and 102nd. 

The scarier scenario is if we won that Jets game, and the Seattle game, both of which were pretty much the same: Howell lead game winning or tying drives, and the defense turned around and gifted wins to Seattle and NYJ in the closing seconds. 

That is the real big drop, add NYJ and Seattle wins, and then we fall to:

7th, 38th, 71st, 106th, instead of 2nd, 36th, 67th, and 102nd. 

Loving the slotting. Now lets just use it well. 

Only thing that could have been better is Jets and Pats losing the last game then we would have picked 2nd every rd.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ThatNFLChick said:

Jared Goff is 6'4" and 217

Trevor Lawrence is 6'6" and 220

Jayden Daniels is 6'3. 

If he weighs in at 210-220 at the combine, all the talk about this size should end

The concern with Daniels isn't his weight, it's his build.

RG3's combine measurements were 6' 2", 223 lbs. But his build was too lean and he became a walking injury.

Size is about more than just the numbers but also the composition.

57 minutes ago, Curtisp5286 said:

I’d there any place where the odds of finding a franchise QB are better?

Now admittedly that’s a snarky question, but truthfully, if not with a very high pick, what is the best way to get a top-10 QB?

By looking at the list it would be 6th pick and down.

9 minutes ago, CapsSkins said:

correct!

I’ll add to this that an even larger potential concern is play style. He runs very reckless most of the time, upright and rarely slides. 

Im a fan of the kid and he had a tremendous year, but i cant get the asu tape out of my head either. 

I think he should absolutely be in the discussion at #2, but I think its a pass due to the issues raised here. 

24 minutes ago, CapsSkins said:

RG3's combine measurements were 6' 2", 223 lbs. But his build was too lean and he became a walking injury.

Size is about more than just the numbers but also the composition.

Lamar is 6'2", 215 (was actually lighter when drafted)...imagine if the Ravens said that about him and passed

Anyway, everyone will have their preferences. It'll be fun seeing how the combine, pro days, interviews, etc shift things for each prospect (hilariously Rick Spielmen seems to change his mind every month, he wrote Williams was generational in October and then was less effusive when asked about him in December after some rough games)

Edited by ThatNFLChick

1 minute ago, ThatNFLChick said:

Lamar is 6'2", 215 (was actually lighter when drafted)...imagine if the Ravens said that about him and passed

lamar is not the right comp for JD. 

Not sure who is, though. 

watson comes to mind…

Rick on Maye (calls him the poor man's Trevor Lawrence):

Also the Rick Spielman takes are fun but I believe the only two QBs he had a hand in drafting were....Christian Ponder and Teddy Bridgewater so I'd rather he not be involved too much in that decision (and I don't think he will be)

Edited by ThatNFLChick

5 minutes ago, illone said:

lamar is not the right comp for JD. 

Not sure who is, though. 

watson comes to mind…

I’d say Tyrod Taylor, maybe a better version but comparable 

2 minutes ago, mh86 said:

I’d say Tyrod Taylor, maybe a better version but comparable 

Good call. I agree. 

also, did rick spielman really call drake maye a “poor mans trevor lawrence”?

if so 😂😂

• Haha 1

41 minutes ago, skinsfan66 said:

By looking at the list it would be 6th pick and down.

You mean if you take “the field” vs top-5 picks, you find more franchise QB’s?? No ****, you’re talking about 300+ draft picks every single year vs 5, even with an abysmally low hit rate you would still do better taking the field just due to the raw numbers advantage.

That’s not how it works though, you don’t get to take every single non-top-5 QB prospect every single year until you hit on one better than the top-5 prospects. You get 1 swing, at most 2 swings in a given year, and then attempt to develop. And it’s extremely likely you miss the outlier Hurts, Dak, Brady (duh) Purdy types when swinging away in those rounds. There’s a reason you can quickly and succinctly name the hits. 

The top-5 picks, individually, still give you  the absolute best chance at drafting a stud franchise QB. The hit rate is not high. It’s still higher than anywhere else in the draft. 

And the way the league is going, you won’t be able to steal the Lamar, Rodgers, or even Mahomes type guys between 10-32 anymore. Those guys all get elevated now. Things have changed even in the last 5 years. 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, illone said:

correct!

I’ll add to this that an even larger potential concern is play style. He runs very reckless most of the time, upright and rarely slides. 

Im a fan of the kid and he had a tremendous year, but i cant get the asu tape out of my head either. 

I think he should absolutely be in the discussion at #2, but I think its a pass due to the issues raised here. 

To me, it's beyond even that. Look up the huge hits he takes. Some guys just don't have whatever instinct it is that allows them to duck the hits just enough to not get totally rocked. 

Anyone can get hit hard, of course. But RG3 took a ton of them. For anyone who remembers 2012, there were so many times we held our breath to see if he'd get up. Didn't matter if he was running or in the pocket, he just had a propensity to get clobbered. That continued after he left here and tried to play elsewhere. I remember highlights of him in Cleveland getting lit up like that, and it led to him being hurt again. 

I see the highlights with Daniels and see the same thing. You can teach him to slide and everything, but you can't teach instincts. And I think he has the same deficiency there that Griffin had. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, ThatNFLChick said:

Rick on Maye (calls him the poor man's Trevor Lawrence):

In that case, I'm even more reluctant to take him! I'm kidding  - and that drop by Calvin Ridley was brutal sure TD and game changer.

Though, I will go on the record saying I believe Maye is being way overrated - overhyped what have you...

36 minutes ago, ThatNFLChick said:

Also the Rick Spielman takes are fun but I believe the only two QBs he had a hand in drafting were....Christian Ponder and Teddy Bridgewater so I'd rather he not be involved too much in that decision (and I don't think he will be)

You know your stuff. Welcome aboard.

17 minutes ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

To me, it's beyond even that. Look up the huge hits he takes. Some guys just don't have whatever instinct it is that allows them to duck the hits just enough to not get totally rocked. 

Agree 100, I think we're saying the same thing.  His play style puts him in danger every time he drops back or takes off running.  It's almost as if he welcomes huge hits. There were a few games I was shocked he got up off the turf.  The alabama game and ole miss game come to mind, he got absolutely rocked in both those games, among others.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, BayouBrave86 said:

Please link me to this stat. I’m not sure I can take your opinion seriously calling last year abysmal with a top 20 QBR . 

Burrow has taken quite a few kill shots. JD5 can run like the wind and the two bad hits he took were dirty from Mizzou and that POs Dallas Turner on Bama who purposefully knocked him out of the game. 

Oh great so you are making up ****. They’re both 6’4 moron. 

Hi! 

You were fine up until the last sentence. Never call out a poster personally. Rubbish their views, challenge their logic - do NOT attack them as an individual.

1 minute ago, illone said:

Agree 100, I think we're saying the same thing.  His play style puts him in danger every time he drops back or takes off running.  It's almost as if he welcomes huge hits. There were a few games I was shocked he got up off the turf.  The alabama game and ole miss game come to mind, he got absolutely rocked in both those games, among others.

I'm not sure if we are saying the same thing. I am not talking about his "style" of play, though that is also an issue. But that can be coached to some extent. I'm talking about his instincts. 

It's like boxing. If you watch top ors you don't see them take 30 direct head shots a round like they do in Rocky moves. Between how they move and how they block, it means even the blows that do get through aren't ones that would knock most of us unconscious immediately. 

You can imagine it yourself. Picture a punch coming right at your nose. Even if you don't have time to stop it, you're probably turning enough that it isn't full on right into the front of your nose. That's an instinct. 

When it comes to football hits, Griffin lacked that instinct and I think Daniels might too.