Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2024 NFL Draft Position/Tracker - Final Pick #2

zCommander

7 hours ago, AlvinWaltonIsMyBoy said:

I can see this with playing styles but I think people wanting Daniels to be Lamar Jackson are gonna be disappointed. 

I agree.  Lamar is a better runner than Daniels, but he also uses his running ability more sparingly.  He moves to set up his throws, whereas Daniels is a 1-2 run QB.  When he breaks the pocket, he is 100% dropping his eyes and running.  His field vision isn't as good as Lamar's.

The difference in age and body is also significant between Daniels and Lamar.  Lamar was the best player in college football when he was 19, and an NFL MVP when he was a year younger than Daniels' current age.  Their ceilings are not the same.  And no matter how much weight Daniels has gained, he just doesn't have a good NFL body.  He has thin joints and very thin hips, shoulders, and legs.  He has such a narrow frame that he's just never going to be able to carry a lot of bulk and strength, particularly in his lower half.  Guys who don't have NFL bodies, who also make a lot of their big plays via running through the middle of defenses, are going to have issues in the NFL.

Daniels is a good prospect, and worthy of going top five, but he is definitely the consolation prize to Maye and Williams, and isn't in their tier as a prospect.  Sitting at two, there isn't even a hint of doubt about who we should pick for me.  It's gotta be whichever one is still there between Williams or Maye.  There is no other justifiable course and anything else would be a terrible mistake that would immediately cast doubt on the competence of the new regime.

Knowing what to do with the first rounder is freeing to me.  I'm gonna feel free to skip the QB debates this year and focus on who could be value options at the rest of our picks.  I think it'll be fun to focus on how we should build an offense around Drake Maye.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

34 minutes ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

Just a month ago we were hoping to stay in the top 7 to secure one of the top OTs or perhaps a TE.  Weeks of breaks went our way, the bad teams around us pulled  upsets multiple times as we did our part and lost out. Now we sit at 2 and have a real shot at a player who can literally change the franchise's future overnight.   

Things are changing in Washington.  The Snyder Stink is gone and things are finally breaking our way.   There is every reason in the world to be more optimistic today than at any time in the last 30 years.  

This is true. Also 6 weeks ago it was still looking like we already had a potential future QB on the roster so protection and weapons were paramount.

Either way, things are changing. Let the Snyder purge continue!

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Going Commando said:

Knowing what to do with the first rounder is freeing to me.  I'm gonna feel free to skip the QB debates this year and focus on who could be value options at the rest of our picks.  I think it'll be fun to focus on how we should build an offense around Drake Maye.

I've spent a lot of time on Maye.  IMHO he's an easy dude to build around because his wheel house is almost everything.  All three levels.  Maybe I'd like better touch on the first level. 

IMO he's so good on throws in between the numbers especially on the 2nd level that i'd like a TE.   He's also a great deep ball thrower and while I like Terry and Dotson i don't think either are killer with the deep ball.  In the 2nd round someone like Legette, Brian Thomas, Keon Coleman if they fall that far.  Maybe J. Polk. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 5

6 hours ago, ThatNFLChick said:

He was showing up everywhere, volunteering, going to schools to meet kids

They would've loved Jeffrey epstein in Buffalo then. Just kidding. I think any rookie qb we draft will being going out into the community, meeting kids and doing charity. But like you, I hope it's someone that really does fully embrace it here. Someone that wants to be here and gives us fans a reason to fully embrace him as well.

That only works though if he is a hit and plays well.  There is not enough charity work in the world that would overcome a qb coming in and truly stinking up the joint.

Just now, Skinsinparadise said:

you don't see players acknowledging the value of a higher pick typically

Screen Shot 2024-01-08 at 7.46.06 AM.png

I'd see if we can extend Cosmi.  He's the one building block on the OL and it would be nice to extend him as a mainstay at RG.

• Like 7
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, mhd24 said:

I'd see if we can extend Cosmi.  He's the one building block on the OL and it would be nice to extend him as a mainstay at RG.

He's emerging as a stud at that spot.  I am with the crowd about Fauga on the draft thread, loved him the first time I watched him.  You put two big time round graders on the right side who can also pass block that would be fun but alas I suspect he goes earlier than the mock draft types expect

• Thumb up 1

Just now, Skinsinparadise said:

He's emerging as a stud at that spot.  I am with the crowd about Fauga on the draft thread, loved him the first time I watched him.  You put two big time round graders on the right side who can also pass block that would be fun but alas I suspect he goes earlier than the mock draft types expect

The OL has a ton of draftable players.  Off the top of my head, there is going to be (in no particular order):

1). Fashanu

2). Alt

3). Latham

4). Fauga 

5). Mimms

6). Morgan

7). Guyton

8.  Fashanu

9). Beebee

10). Van Pran

5 minutes ago, mhd24 said:

The OL has a ton of draftable players.  Off the top of my head, there is going to be (in no particular order):

1). Fashanu

2). Alt

3). Latham

4). Fauga 

5). Mimms

6). Morgan

7). Guyton

8.  Fashanu

9). Beebee

10). Van Pran

I am well aware but focused some on RT in the early 2nd or trade up to the late first.  I've watched about half of them and I know the names-reps of the others.  But Fauga IMO fits with Cosmi well like the block below.  That's Fuaga's style, too.  You mentioned Cosmi so I stuck to that theme.

For RT, for example I watched Morgan, and he comes off to me solid but nothing killer.

• Thumb up 1

4 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I've spent a lot of time on Maye.  IMHO he's an easy dude to build around because his wheel house is almost everything.  All three levels.  Maybe I'd like better touch on the first level. 

IMO he's so good on throws in between the numbers especially on the 2nd level that i'd like a TE.   He's also a great deep ball thrower and while I like Terry and Dotson i don't think either are killer with the deep ball.  In the 2nd round someone like Legette, Brian Thomas, Keon Coleman if they fall that far.  Maybe J. Polk. 

What about Ladd?  I know you like him, and I like him too.

I said it earlier in the thread, but I'll say it again: a guy who can go from being that lightly regarded of a recruit to an alpha player on a team like Georgia has something special to him, and special translates to the NFL.  Georgia's locker room is the most ruthlessly elitist and competitive in college football.  The guys who stand tall in that kind of setting are gonna have no trouble adjusting to the NFL.

I think he's a really good fit for an offense built around throwing into the middle of the field.  He's explosive and creative in between the numbers, he has good hands, he's tough, and he has some build up speed too.  Kind of a better version of Curtis Samuel.

I'm curious about his draft range.  Tankathon has him at 58, but if he runs in the 4.5s at 6' 185, that's not happening.  They also have us getting Van Pran with our third rounder, which is not gonna happen either.  Van Pran in the second and Ladd in the third or fourth would be a good way to build on what we've already started here IMO.  Bad as we were this year, there is a decent foundation in place for our offense.  Cosmi, BRob, Leno, and Terry are all legitimately good, and Dotson can be. With a culture change, a coaching change, filling in the the mortar on offenses, and getting a big time QB prospect in here, we can make big strides.

13 minutes ago, mhd24 said:

As great a player F1 Terry is now, he can't wait around for a rebuild.  His value will never be any higher.  Does the F.O. trade him and get a 1st for him?  We traded a younger DE star to Chicago.  This team has many holes.  Let's see what they do but Terry, Jon Allen and possibly Payne, if we can offload him to another team would be a wise route to go as our former F.O. GM and HC didn't do a good job of drafting players.  Freeing up money and signing FAs that can play and resigning Cosmi makes sense.  

Just now, Going Commando said:

What about Ladd?  I know you like him, and I like him too.

I said it earlier in the thread, but I'll say it again: a guy who can go from being that lightly regarded of a recruit to an alpha player on a team like Georgia has something special to him, and special translates to the NFL.  Georgia's locker room is the most ruthlessly elitist and competitive in college football.  The guys who stand tall in that kind of setting are gonna have no trouble adjusting to the NFL.

I think he's a really good fit for an offense built around throwing into the middle of the field.  He's explosive and creative in between the numbers, he has good hands, he's tough, and he has some build up speed too.  Kind of a better version of Curtis Samuel.

I'm curious about his draft range.  Tankathon has him at 58, but if he runs in the 4.5s at 6' 185, that's not happening.  They also have us getting Van Pran with our third rounder, which is not gonna happen either.  Van Pran in the second and Ladd in the third or fourth would be a good way to build on what we've already started here IMO.  Bad as we were this year, there is a decent foundation in place for our offense.  Cosmi, BRob, Leno, and Terry are all legitimately good, and Dotson can be. With a culture change, a coaching change, filling in the the mortar on offenses, and getting a big time QB prospect in here, we can make big strides.

Yeah I love Ladd, good point.  I was thinking first of tall players who are deep threats.  But Ladd on the 2nd level, a dude who can take a crosser and follow that with 10 yards of YAC fits a need.  He plays bigger than his size.  And can catch the deep ball, too.

He's a high character player-leader.  I think he's going to be a really good pro.  I am guessing his size and the idea he likely might not kill the combine along witt it being a deep draft at WR gives us a strong fighting chance he's there in the 3rd.

5 minutes ago, RWJ said:

As great a player F1 Terry is now, he can't wait around for a rebuild.  His value will never be any higher.  Does the F.O. trade him and get a 1st for him?  We traded a younger DE star to Chicago.  This team has many holes.  Let's see what they do but Terry, Jon Allen and possibly Payne, if we can offload him to another team would be a wise route to go as our former F.O. GM and HC didn't do a good job of drafting players.  Freeing up money and signing FAs that can play and resigning Cosmi makes sense.  

If they draft a QB which I expect, I think it would be nuts to trade Terry.

It's pretty easy to tell after reading how much it meant to his teammates for him to break 1000 yards yesterday that he's the most beloved guy in that locker room.

Screen Shot 2024-01-08 at 8.13.12 AM.png

• Like 4

The only question for the number 2 overall pick is whether any other team comes up with a Snyder-level trade offer.  Swap firsts, a second rounder + first round picks in the next two drafts.  That would be a hard choice since none of these QBs are guaranteed success in the NFL. 

47 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

you don't see players acknowledging the value of a higher pick typically

Screen Shot 2024-01-08 at 7.46.06 AM.png

Not very often you hear a player speak on fans wanting them to lose for higher draft picks...

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Yeah I love Ladd, good point.  I was thinking first of tall players who are deep threats.  But Ladd on the 2nd level, a dude who can take a crosser and follow that with 10 yards of YAC fits a need.  He plays bigger than his size.  And can catch the deep ball, too.

He's a high character player-leader.  I think he's going to be a really good pro.  I am guessing his size and the idea he likely might not kill the combine along witt it being a deep draft at WR gives us a strong fighting chance he's there in the 3rd.

If they draft a QB which I expect, I think it would be nuts to trade Terry.

It's pretty easy to tell after reading how much it meant to his teammates for him to break 1000 yards yesterday that he's the most beloved guy in that locker room.

I get it and I wasn't hard core on my post as you can tell and I gave your post a "like".  

4 minutes ago, PlayAction said:

The only question for the number 2 overall pick is whether any other team comes up with a Snyder-level trade offer.  Swap firsts, a second rounder + first round picks in the next two drafts.  That would be a hard choice since none of these QBs are guaranteed success in the NFL. 

No QB is guaranteed success in the NFL. If you're at #2, you're in need of a QB, and you have a couple of guys highly graded in a top heavy QB class, you pull the trigger. No getting cute or playing games.

It would not be a hard choice.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Watching Josh Allen hit those 20-30 yard downfield throws right on the sidelines last night on their last TD drive.. man. Having a QB with the ability to hit those throws really opens up what an OC can do. And you definitely see some of that with Maye. 

• Thumb up 1

14 minutes ago, PlayAction said:

So ... yeah maybe. I guess it depends on how much you love the QBs. If this FO says "flip a coin" between Daniels and Maye ... and the Patriots offer us their 2nd and a future pick, makes all the sense in the world to flip. BUT, I don't know if they'll come down on the prospects like that but we'll see. 

I can't see us going further back than swapping #3 with the Patriots unless we really love Penix or something and think we can get him later. But we can't fall behind the Falcons ...

When you have loads of cap space, and some high-value picks early in the draft, sometimes you just don't get cute and take your guy. Though there's a unique situation where we have all 3 QBs rated very similarly, and if the Patriots want one of the two more than the other and want to trade with us, we could be open to it I guess.

Edited by JamesMadisonSkins

1 minute ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

So ... yeah maybe. I guess it depends on how much you love the QBs. If this FO says "flip a coin" between Daniels and Maye ... and the Patriots offer us their 2nd and a future pick, makes all the sense in the world to flip. BUT, I don't know if they'll come down on the prospects like that but we'll see. 

I can't see us going further back than swapping #3 with the Patriots unless we really love Penix or something and think we can get him later. But we can't fall behind the Falcons ...

As a new GM I wouldn’t overthink this. We need a franchise level QB. There are probably going to be four possibly five QBs with first round grades.

Take the one you like the best and fits with what you and the new HC and OC want to do that is available at #2 overall. 

If there is a guy you LOVE and just have to get try to do a trade to swap with the Bears for the #1 overall.

• Like 6
  • Thumb up 1

Since it's Washington with the #2 overall pick again, we know we will be drafting a player who is overhyped based on athletic abilities, that he will have one successful year, he will have abysmal study habits and be confident in his natural gifts to allow him to just "wing it," and that he will have a catastrophic knee injury that will render his physical gifts more average but will never learn to play within a scheme to adapt to it.

Welcome to the Washington Reds Commies Football team Lavar Robert Chase IV.

• Haha 3