Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2024 NFL Draft Position/Tracker - Final Pick #2

zCommander

Just now, ThatNFLChick said:

So its totally believable that Maye might be viewed as #1 over Williams but not at all believable that Daniels might be #2?  In a year where Lamar Jackson is winning MVP and Baltimore is rhe best team in the NFL? Hmmm. 

Ehh... it will fluxuate.

Ask again around the combine when Daniels stock skyrockets.

People will put him above both of 'em.

Just now, ThatNFLChick said:

So its totally believable that Maye might be viewed as #1 over Williams but not at all believable that Daniels might be #2?  In a year where Lamar Jackson is winning MVP and Baltimore is rhe best team in the NFL? Hmmm. 

I think he was just pointing out there is a lot of misdirection and smokescreen action this time of year. Also the best team is yet to be decided. Stay tuned on Lamar.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, rumplestilskin said:

I think he was just pointing out there is a lot of misdirection and smokescreen action this time of year. Also the best team is yet to be decided. Stay tuned on Lamar.

Thank you!

Its well known you disregard 50% of what you hear at draft time and highly question the other 48%

• Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1

11 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

Hmm...where have I heard that before???

Lamar Jackson doesn't slide, per se and he had done well.  Wiser for him to learn before his legs can bail him out.  No reason why a gifted QB can't have have someone work with Daniel's and any other QB so they can learn too.  RG3's problem was this, a freak injury.  Yes, it can happen but you run that play 100 more times his knee doesn't get hyper-extended and end his career.  He never recovered from it, even IF Shanallen had him out the rest of the year.  JMO.  

(8) redskins minute rg3 injured - YouTube

Edited by RWJ

5 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

Thank you!

Its well known you disregard 50% of what you hear at draft time and highly question the other 48%

Fair enough. Mel Kiper said before Benjamin that he was hearing the same thing

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, RWJ said:

Lamar Jackson doesn't slide, per se and he had done well.  Wiser for him to learn before his legs can bail him out.  No reason why a gifted QB can't have have someone work with Daniel's and any other QB so they can learn too.  RG3's problem was this, a freak injury.  Yes, it can happen but you run that play 100 more times his knee doesn't get hyper-extended and end his career.  He never recovered from it, even IF Shanallen had him out the rest of the year.  JMO.  

I watched every game of Griffins career when he was with the Redskins.

Protecting himself was not a priority up to that point or even after.

At some point I don't want to hear about he can be taught that, if they come out of college and don't get that, the clock starts.

Folks were almost ready to clock out on Lamar not to long ago because he was missing games, giving him his extension was controversial until he went WorldStarHipHop on everyone this season, don't get it twisted. 

Edited by Renegade7
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, RWJ said:

Loved seeing Kirk come in and tie it up on that clip. I dont know about the second opinion though, if he sat the remainder of the season he would have recovered. He was put back in too soon and completely tore everything. Shanny ****ed that up. IMO

• Sad 1
  • Thumb up 1

9 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

I watched every game of Griffins career when he was with the Redskins.

Protecting himself was not a priority up to that point or even after.

At some point I don't want to hear about he can be taught that, if they come out of college and don't get that, the clock starts.

Folks were almost ready to clock out on Lamar not to long ago because he was missing games, giving him his extension was controversial until he went WorldStarHipHop on everyone this season, don't get it twisted. 

Nothing twisted.  Simply stated my point.  These words from my post covered my statement(s).  "Wiser for him to learn before his legs can bail him out.", "No reason why a gifted QB can't have someone work with Daniel's and any other QB so they can learn too."  I think I covered myself, yes?

9 minutes ago, rumplestilskin said:

Loved seeing Kirk come in and tie it up on that clip. I dont know about the second opinion though, if he sat the remainder of the season he would have recovered. He was put back in too soon and completely tore everything. Shanny ****ed that up. IMO

I agree whole heartedly about KC.  I disagree to a point about RG3.  The damage was done.  Yes, he did more damage but after sustaining the injury like was saw against the Raven's, his career was over. He'd never be the same. 

Edited by RWJ

16 minutes ago, ThatNFLChick said:

Fair enough. Mel Kiper said before Benjamin that he was hearing the same thing

Right. And the point of that is to get other to do something desperate and stupid. Teams will lie all of the time regarding the draft. 

• Thumb up 1

4 minutes ago, RWJ said:

Nothing twisted.  Simply stated my point.  These words from my post covered my statement(s).  "Wiser for him to learn before his legs can bail him out.", "No reason why a gifted QB can't have someone work with Daniel's and any other QB so they can learn too."  I think I covered myself, yes?

You did, I have zero patience for players coming in thinkin they don't have to protect themselves at this level.  Sure it can be taught, a lot of things can be taught. 

But if THAT needs to be taught I'm out.  They either don't get far or breakdown way sooner then they should, it's pattern, not jus Griffin.

2 minutes ago, RWJ said:

I disagree.  The damage was done.  Yes, he did more damage but after sustaining the injury like was saw against the Raven's, his career was over. He'd never be the same. 

At the time of the Ngata hit he has a sprain in his PCL. Probably had some instability but he completely tore his ACL and LCL in the Seahawks game. The big damage wasn't done at the Ravens game unless there was an injury cover up which would have been a big NO NO.

Just now, Renegade7 said:

You did, I have zero patience for players coming in thinkin they don't have to protect themselves at this level.  Sure it can be taught, a lot of things can be taught. 

But if THAT needs to be taught I'm out.  They either don't get far or breakdown way sooner then they should, it's pattern, not jus Griffin.

Dude, the entire world that watched the NFL will learn so much about ALL these QBs in the coming months.  I think the kid is eager to learn and we need to see what happens.  Right now, I'm in!  You have your own decisions to make.  👍

2 minutes ago, rumplestilskin said:

At the time of the Ngata hit he has a sprain in his PCL. Probably had some instability but he completely tore his ACL and LCL in the Seahawks game. The big damage wasn't done at the Ravens game unless there was an injury cover up which would have been a big NO NO.

You look at the hit and I think there was more damage done than was being said.  I don't like to drag things out we've said enough about it, Rumple.  👍

• Thumb up 1

So far we are 3 for 3, as far as the #2 overall pick having an essentially career ruining catastrophic knee injury. Maybe this time we will get lucky and it will happen later than the rookie year, but before a huge contract extension.

• Sad 1

39 minutes ago, RWJ said:

I agree whole heartedly about KC.  I disagree to a point about RG3.  The damage was done.  Yes, he did more damage but after sustaining the injury like was saw against the Raven's, his career was over. He'd never be the same. 

If RG3 knew how to slide, The fat nose tackle Goose of the Ravens would not had a chance to cheap shot him and fall on the back of his legs with all his weight. That is where it started. Happened before the playoff game with Seahawks.

18 minutes ago, Riggo-toni said:

So far we are 3 for 3, as far as the #2 overall pick having an essentially career ruining catastrophic knee injury. Maybe this time we will get lucky and it will happen later than the rookie year, but before a huge contract extension.

You reminded me, I remember thinking that if we got a crazy offer for the #2 pick we should do it because multiple players/picks is better than just the one pick in case of injury to the #2 pick. It's a very real consideration, especially if there are multiple players that you like and a player who's drop off isn't much from the #2 pick. Sure enough, Chase got injured and really never panned out for us. You can't draft scared but.........

10 hours ago, BrentMeisterGeneral said:

He must be terrible then 😉

Maye actually reminds me of a somewhat more talented Daniel Jones. Big dude, good arm, mostly a pocket passer within a system but can move, however tends to lose accuracy and decision making outside of the pocket. Good at many things but nothing elite about him.

Edited by mistertim
  • Like 2

I am torn between two approaches to picking a QB at 2 overall:

1) Who is most likely to be a top-5/top-10 elite QB?

2) Who is most likely to be worth a big $ extension after their rookie deal?

One approach is more aggressive while the other is more risk-averse. I see both sides. It's something I'd ask the new FO if I had the opportunity, which I won't, but maybe we'll get a glimpse of their thought-process in their media availabilities.

25 minutes ago, mistertim said:

Maye actually reminds me of a somewhat more talented Daniel Jones. Big dude, good arm, mostly a pocket passer within a system but can move, however tends to lose accuracy and decision making outside of the pocket. Good at many things but nothing elite about him.

This is a fair assessment and about where I am. 

49 minutes ago, mistertim said:

I would agree mostly from what he has shown so far, or at least from my very unqualified perch. I like the Ben Roethlisberger comp some are giving him so maybe his tools and size can translate better in the NFL as did Ben's in the pros. Beyond the prototypical size you want, the praise he does have is he is balanced, hard working and intelligent. Not the type to cry in his Mommy's arms after losing a game in front of a packed stadium or give attitude to reporters like the other guy. Seriously though I would be more than happy with Caleb but only if he fell to us. That way if he ends up being a nutbar we didn't give up more than one pick. 

2 hours ago, CobraCommander said:

Unlike you nerds who look at stats and “film” to evaluate the top QB talent in the draft, I will be doing my tried and tested eye test. 

Unlike most, my eye test is not based on highlights or game breakdowns. No sir. I simply take a look at the man’s mug and judge him solely on his face. 

So that I am as impartial as can be I will be using ESPNs head shots so that there are no unwanted variables such as resting **** face or the dreaded Beyoncé face.

694ACD18-9464-4DBE-9E20-39C4787354E4.thumb.jpeg.9ccfa92644e2bd2b3115a1f2d861464d.jpeg

without further ado, here are the top five starting with number 5.

Ladies and gentlemen, Bo Nix

A68A9733-90B8-41A7-80DE-C2DB8A847940.png.42b88a234b536f65718602d21d341816.png

I said it before and I’ll say it again, this young man looks like he sells fake insurance to retired folks. I won’t be surprised to find out this guy is selling used dodge hellcats in a few years time. Hell I’d put money on it if Vegas would let me.

Probability I’d let him date my daughter. 0%

Next at number 4 we have a young man with a nice smile but something is just a little goofy, like he actually kinda reminds me of goofy.84ADA585-3B42-42E8-B4D6-E56145672A51.png.ad5d281b13c7d719023724a58f7acd99.png

Jayden Daniels has a nice smile though and overall he not too ugly.

Probability I’d let him date my daughter, 14%

Next is a man everyone is talking about us taking but I’m telling you there’s something about this kid I don’t trust. At number 3, Drake Maye.

08A45376-93F7-423D-88F4-7E1F14DDD250.png.b21b50bcf1f420eaa3322006aee419fa.png

Look at that smirk. So smug. It honestly probably means he’s really good and knows it, but until he proves it, I will constantly be looking over my shoulder wherever I go.

Probability I let him anywhere near my daughter -100%

Coming in at number 2 is a guy with a rather bulbous nose.9194E8CE-A23F-487C-8350-BC8C3BD5BA64.jpeg.b7ccebc7e583f9743489bedd29d8fb34.jpeg

Michael Penix Jr.  Lol, you said Penix. I’m sorry the man looks perfectly fine but I just can’t with that name. Also I have the same nose, so I like him. 

Probability Id let him date my daughter, 75%.

And finally, da belle of da ball, Caleb Williams.

5C988435-B58F-4BDA-AA38-29CE30DC7770.png.fd086109c2f5f32db7da4bbf81699ed6.png

As with all my crushes, this one is yet again out of our reach. As it was with Tua and Luck, it seems to be our fate once again to get denied a date with the homecoming King. 

Probability I’d let him date my daughter. 100%z

This is ES gold right here. The Bo Nix assessment is perfect

• Like 1

On 1/1/2024 at 5:37 PM, MrJL said:

unless in this alternate reality we had done different things with our OL Tua would be retired if we picked him

Tua would have been drafted in 2020, not 2023, the OL was ranked 6th by PFF following that season (though apparently 29th going in), in '21 they were ranked 6th again by PFF following the season, I cant find the final rankings for '22, but it looks like they finally fell apart during the '22 season, as they fell from 6th to 20th heading into week 15 of that season. So yeah, Tua's '22 and '23 would've sucked, but he would have had top quartile blocking in play in his first two seasons. Who knows what that would have meant or not for his career, as my view of Tua going into that '20 draft was clearly wrong (I had him the 1B to Burrow, he's only blossomed into a legit starting QB in the league the past two seasons, and even this top 10-12 QB in the league version of Tua, still isn't in Burrow's universe, but none of that changes the fact that it's always wrong to have a bluechip pick, and go away from QB, when there are legit QB prospects available in the draft class your looking at (and I want to emphasize that. There are times when you can't, some are obvious, like 2013, 2014, 2019 other than Kyler, 2022, and others get guys pushed up that don't deserve it, like '16). This class has several high end QB prospects, you may or may not like them, but this is a class where you can't justifiably pass on QB at the top of the draft. 

And let me underline, I am not scared in the least of getting it wrong. We've got it wrong for 30 freaking years. If we take a big swing and end up with a Shuler, or an RGIII, so freaking what, that kind of miss is liable to bring you right back to the top of the next decent or better QB class and you swing again. And again, and again, and again, until you get them. There isn't another way to solve this, w/only the rarest of exceptions (miracle day 3 hits, and the rare trade of a franchise QB, like Brees, which tend to happen at most, once a decade). 

Needless to say, I would've taken Tua, and if he sucked and busted in '22 instead of hitting like he did, I would have gone after QB in '23 or '24, whenever I had a pick high enough to get it done. You keep trying until its done. There are some squads that might be able to justify other approaches, ones with proven genius front offices, and proven track records of acquiring legit options they can contend with, but they are exceptionally rare (really, limited to the Niners and Ravens the past 20 years), and a team that has drafted and developed one franchise QB since the Great Depression, 2 if you count Kirk Cousins (which I mostly don't), shouldn't be pretending it knows other genius ways to solve this problem. It clearly does not and the world where you could solve these problems with Sonny's and Billy's and Joe's and Doug's and Rypien's ended decades ago. 

• Like 1