Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Game Prediction Thread - Week 4 - The Commanders @ The Eagles ~ Somebody Is Getting Their Feathers Plucked?

zCommander

3 hours ago, Redwards said:

EB abandons the run when we're down 10 in the first quarter at home

You think he's gonna be feeding the backs when we're down by at least that much early in Philly?   I don't see that at all.  But...maybe we'll be surprised.  EB needs to show he is a good OC.  This is a huge game for him.  Except for two quarters, he's called a horrible season and squandered what we do best in running the ball and turned our great group of WRs invisible.

They did it to Philly last year...I can't imagine he's incapable to learning. He's succeeded in the league for years. 

All logic aside, I really to want to predict a Washington win over Philadelphia. 

It's probably more like I just cannot bring myself to type out a prediction where the Eagles score more points than Washington -- it pains my fingers to do so. Meanwhile, my head just sneers at my heart, for clinging to such a slender hope, and believing in such cliches like, ..."On any given Sunday..."

Arrghh! .....Aww heck ....Washington somehow surprises everyone -- including me -- and steals a win from an uber-powerful Eagles squad.  23-20. 👃

Edited by Wyvern
  • Like 1

Well at least it isn't a primetime game, so it shouldn't be bad.

Oh hec who am I foolin'? 

The name of the game is offense, folks; the Eagles have it, the Commanders will not 'commandeer' this game in any facet, sorry. 

The Eagles need to look strong, to get all those little clicks on social media posts tweets and clips to keep up with the Jonses, 9ers, Dolphins and Bills, and THATS where the only chance lies in hanging around in this game. It equates into the Commanders' secondary playing closer coverage and DelTaco getting creative; DAMN, thats the 2nd time i've used the DC's name and the word creative in the same sentence.

This might be the game where we start hearing the light whispers of the d-line becoming frustrated at the rest of the team's shortcomings, and a crescendo ensues as the weeks pass by...

Commanders  13

Eagles             44    yea, THAT ugly...

Unlike the other teams we have faced Philly has an actual D-line that can put heat on a QB. I don't feel good about this game from that standpoint alone.

I don't think our offense will be good enough to even allow this game to be competitive. Its just a matter of how long the D can hold on, like v Buffalo.

We will see if EB has some flexibility to his gameplan, cuz he is gonna need it this week, otherwise Philly is gonna set a record in sacks. Until the OC shows me he can, I don't have much faith in him however. Bad start for him so far, were bottom 10 in yds/gm.

This one is finna be a blowout.

Last year Wentz looked alright until the two game spread of the Eagles and Lions, when they had a combined 12 sacks in the first half alone and our QB just broke in half.

Then he hurt his finger next game and Turkey launcher came in and we ran the ball constantly. 

I hope we don't break Sam this week.

So far the first 3 games have gone the way I predicted except I thought they'd rout the Cardinals not eke a victory.

Sticking with how I predicted the season before it started.

Eagles 27 Commanders 17.

I think they show a bit more fight and Ron sort of declares this as some sort of moral victory -- progress from the week before.

I do think they rout the Bears on a short week after this. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise

7 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

So far the first 3 games have gone the way I predicted except I thought they'd rout the Cardinals not eke a victory.

Sticking with how I predicted the season before it started.

Eagles 27 Commanders 17.

I think they show a bit more fight and Ron sort of declares this as some sort of moral victory -- progress from the week before.

I do think they rout the Bears on a short week after this. 

Lets hope they beat the Bears. If they don't, they can pack it in

If they were able to keep the Eagles within 10 points, that would be bad considering what we saw last week. 

They are going to need some turnovers and not give the ball away themselves.

They are definitely going need that run game working and that's a tough task against Philly

Edited by DWinzit

Despite bad journalism and/or Battered Commander Fan Syndrome with getting Washington's record wrong and then doubling down on it later, my dude at Riggo's Rag is predicting a win in Philadelphia.

https://riggosrag.com/posts/predicting-commanders-next-four-games-1-2-start-2023

Screenshot_20230928_094837_Chrome.jpg

Edited by Professor_Nutter_Butter
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

Last year Wentz looked alright until the two game spread of the Eagles and Lions, when they had a combined 12 sacks in the first half alone and our QB just broke in half.

Then he hurt his finger next game and Turkey launcher came in and we ran the ball constantly. 

I hope we don't break Sam this week.

I am surprised no one has mentioned Sam getting his hand / body completely slammed by Settle.  Sam got smoked proper. 

It wouldn't surprise me to hear that he has a hand/finger if even just tender or bruised. That hit seemed to suck the life out of us or be a turning point in the game... after an awesome scramble.

I think we will lose. It's not in our recent DNA to go 3-1. In fact I predict we will lose the next 3 to 6 games because that is how the NFL just is. But that we will be in the playoff hunt at year end.

Edited by RandyHolt
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, RandyHolt said:

I am surprised no one has mentioned Sam getting his hand / body completely slammed by Settle.  Sam got smoked proper. 

It wouldn't surprise me to hear that he has a hand/finger if even just tender or bruised. That hit seemed to suck the life out of us or be a turning point in the game... after an awesome scramble.

I think we will lose. It's not in our recent DNA to go 3-1. In fact I predict we will lose the next 3 to 6 games because that is how the NFL just is. But that we will be in the playoff hunt at year end.

Actually, that's the way we've rolled under Rivera the last few years.  I think we'll lose this game, but hopefully win the next 2 out of 3 to move to 4-2 after 6 games.  That would be ideal, and put us in a position to have a shot at the Wildcard later this year.  We have to beat the Bears & Falcons though in the next couple of weeks.  If we lose to one or both, it's countdown time to when Rivera will be fired.  He has to be 4-2 or better after Week 6, or he's in big trouble.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, samy316 said:

Actually, that's the way we've rolled under Rivera the last few years.  I think we'll lose this game, but hopefully win the next 2 out of 3 to move to 4-2 after 6 games.  That would be ideal, and put us in a position to have a shot at the Wildcard later this year.  We have to beat the Bears & Falcons though in the next couple of weeks.  If we lose to one or both, it's countdown time to when Rivera will be fired.  He has to be 4-2 or better after Week 6, or he's in big trouble.

With no proof whatsoever I suspect Harris will give Ron a big loooong leash. I would love him to get replaced by EB mid season if we look like crap for 3-4 straight and not wait until next year to test him.

Just now, RandyHolt said:

With no proof whatsoever I suspect Harris will give Ron a big loooong leash. I would love him to get replaced by EB mid season if we look like crap for 3-4 straight and not wait until next year to test him.

EB is already 100% in control of the offense. What does it matter if Ron gets fired?

1 minute ago, RandyHolt said:

No he won't.  His solutions at OL and his inaction to upgrade that group has actually tightened his leash significantly.  He has no excuses and no explanations for another bad season, should that end up happening.  If this team doesn't make the playoffs, he's definitely gone.  He better hope and pray that things turn around.

11 minutes ago, samy316 said:

No he won't.  His solutions at OL and his inaction to upgrade that group has actually tightened his leash significantly.  He has no excuses and no explanations for another bad season, should that end up happening.  If this team doesn't make the playoffs, he's definitely gone.  He better hope and pray that things turn around.

Much as I desperately want that to happen too there's just no way you can say "definitely gone". We have no idea what Harris is thinking, we are just hoping/guessing.

• Like 1

Note to RR and staff: The Eagles knocked out 2 Niners QB's in the NFC title game this year in Philly and the Niners have an outstanding offensive line; WE DON'T. 

If it looks like we can't protect Sam early and he starts taking hits then get him out of there and let Brissett play. We can't afford to lose Sam to injury and not find out about him this season heading into next years draft. 

It's one thing to preach about giving Howell opportunities and another to throw him to the wolves repeatedly like you did against Buffalo last week. Get a clue and know when you're putting the kid at too much risk and protect him. There's a reason why TH ended up being our QB the past 3 seasons and you need to take some accountability for that. Don't let it happen again by overexposing Howell to a defense that you cannot protect him from.

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

After holding the Cardinals to fewer than 100 rushing yards in their opener, the Commanders gave up 122 rushing yards to the Broncos and 168 to the Bills — just in time to face a team with an offense capable of inflicting even more damage on the ground. The Philadelphia Eagles run the ball more than any other in the league (they’re averaging 37.7 carries per game through Week 3), thanks in large part to their offensive line, their April trade for running back D’Andre Swift and the mobility of quarterback Jalen Hurts.

“When he’s healthy, he’s top of the league,” defensive tackle Jonathan Allen said of Swift. “I hated seeing him go to Philadelphia this year. He’s really great back; [I have] a lot of respect for him. [He’s] quick, athletic, explosive; he does it all.”

The Eagles amassed 259 rushing yards against the Minnesota Vikings in Week 2 and 201 rushing yards against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers on “Monday Night Football” earlier this week. Their average of 185.7 rush yards per game is second-best in the league, behind the Miami Dolphins, and their effectiveness in areas where Washington has been especially weak is even more concerning.

Consider: Washington’s defense has allowed opponents to convert first downs on 29.6 percent of their rushes, the fourth-highest rate in the league through Week 3. Philly has converted first downs on 32.7 percent of its runs.

Washington has also allowed opponents to convert 70 percent of their third-down runs. Philadelphia’s offense has turned 60.9 percent of its third-down runs into first downs, the ninth-highest rate in the NFL.

Against Denver and Buffalo, quarterback scrambles and designed runs proved problematic for Washington’s defense — and that was after Rivera stressed to his line the need for rush-lane discipline. Knowing Bills quarterback Josh Allen, like the Broncos’ Russell Wilson, can use his feet to extend plays, Washington’s front four emphasized trying to contain him in the pocket throughout the week leading up to Sunday’s game.

“You’ve got to have discipline in terms of your coverages,” Rivera said last week. “You can’t let him look you off. You can’t lose your guy when he starts to scramble around. You’ve got to plaster as pass rushers. You’ve got to make sure you contain him. … Those are the types of things that I know [defensive coordinator] Jack [Del Rio] has mentioned to those guys and they just got to understand this game is about being rush disciplined.”

The Eagles present a three-pronged challenge: Their offensive line is one of the most efficient in the league, Swift is one of the league’s most effective rushers, and Hurts can also create trouble on the ground. In fact, Hurts already has more rushing touchdowns (three) than Washington’s running backs combined (two).

“[Mobile quarterbacks] will be a challenge for us going forward. … Look at the schedule and just start naming which [quarterback is] going to sit back there,” Del Rio said before Commanders’ win in Denver. “Peyton Manning was a great player, Tom Brady, great player. But they weren’t going anywhere. Very few [quarterbacks] are like that in the league anymore.”

Three-quarters of the Eagles’ offensive line has played together for years, with Cam Jurgens the lone newcomer, at left guard. Center Jason Kelce and right tackle Lane Johnson are widely regarded as two of the most elite players at their respective positions, and their cohesion up front is reflected in their play. Although Philadelphia has allowed eight sacks, the majority were through no the fault of the O-line

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2023/09/28/swift-kelce-commanders-eagles/

• Sad 1