Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Ron Rivera = Jeff Fisher?

Searchingforaqb

Maybe cause they're both 85 Bears but I can't help find him so similar (Singletary and Leslie Frazier also played on that team and neither were good head coaches)

Both Fisher/Rivera seem well respected and vaunted despite never won anything and having many losing seasons in between play off runs

None of Fishers Titans/Rams or Rivera's Commanders/Panthers ever won consistently (compared to other long tenured coaches like Tomlin, John Harbaugh, Reid etc)

Both seem uninspiring and unable to regularly get the best out of their players and largely preside over terrible offenses (early Rams with Fisher and Newtons one good season in Carolina aside)

fishers stats: 178–171–1 (.510)  

riveras stats 103–96–2 (.517)

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Searchingforaqb said:

Maybe cause they're both 85 Bears but I can't help find him so similar (Singletary and Leslie Frazier also played on that team and neither were good head coaches)

Both Fisher/Rivera seem well respected and vaunted despite never won anything and having many losing seasons in between play off runs

None of Fishers Titans/Rams or Rivera's Commanders/Panthers ever won consistently (compared to other long tenured coaches like Tomlin, John Harbaugh, Reid etc)

Both seem uninspiring and unable to regularly get the best out of their players and largely preside over terrible offenses (early Rams with Fisher and Newtons one good season in Carolina aside)

fishers stats: 178–171–1 (.510)  

riveras stats 103–96–2 (.517)

Honestly not a bad comparison. I think many of us were all so swept up in just finding someone with a smidge of NFL success actually willing to coach this team, that we sort of overlooked his mediocre body of work prior. 

• Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

I made this comparison back in the offseason thread.  It's literally eerie how Rivera has become a clone of Jeff Fisher.  He got this job off the reputation of being a winning coach with a SB apperance, but that SB was all Cam Newton.  Rivera is just living off of 2015 and Cam's unbelievable MVP season.  We're the only reason he's still even a HC.  He'd be a DC somewhere, or an LB coach if it wasn't for Dan Snyder.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Mr. Sinister said:

Honestly not a bad comparison. I think many of us were all so swept up in just finding someone with a smidge of NFL success actually willing to coach this team, that we sort of overlooked his mediocre body of work prior. 

Yep this and coupled with the fact he was supposed to take full control and stop Snyder's meddling.

So crazy McVay, Kyle S, Kevin O'Connell and LaFleur were all in the building and we ended up with Jay Gruden (who'll never be a Head Coach in the league again) and Rivera (probably the same). 

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

Ron Rivera served his purpose after Bruce Allen .  He imparted stability on a flailing organization.  But he could be sued for negligence with what he’s done (or not done) with the offense line and QB position.  And his record speaks  for itself.  Time to turn the page after this season and get a fresh start.

Edited by Csup
  • Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

35 minutes ago, Searchingforaqb said:

Yep this and coupled with the fact he was supposed to take full control and stop Snyder's meddling.

So crazy McVay, Kyle S, Kevin O'Connell and LaFleur were all in the building and we ended up with Jay Gruden (who'll never be a Head Coach in the league again) and Rivera (probably the same). 

Damn I forgot about O'Connell. Jesus :hitfan:

The comparison is a fair one.

Folks have to remember, that besides Gibbs version 2, not many quality coaches and players, were willing to come work for Snyder.  And after Mike Shanahan, no one promising was willing to risk wrecking their career to try working for Dan, especially after things started to surface about all the issues of trying to work with Snyder's front office cronies. 

I suspect it took a lot to lure Rivera to the Washington franchise, and in some areas he stabilized things and improved the reputation of the franchise as much as can be expected with Snyder still as an owner.  Rivera, had a good reputation as a solid, high character coach and inspired trust and loyalty.

But I never got the sense that Rivera was some dynamic, creative genius -- rather the "slow and steadily improving" type of manager and  coach who was willing to try coping with Snyder's reluctance to make any costly improvements.  I don't think the addition of Meyhew helped, but what high-quality GM was willing to derail their career to work for Snyder?

• Thumb up 2

1 minute ago, Wyvern said:

The comparison is a fair one.

Folks have to remember, that besides Gibbs version 2, not many quality coaches and players, were willing to come work for Snyder.  And after Mike Shanahan, no one promising was willing to risk wrecking their career to try working for Dan, especially after things started to surface about all the issues of trying to work with Snyder's front office cronies. 

I suspect it took a lot to lure Rivera to the Washington franchise, and in some areas he stabilized things and improved the reputation of the franchise as much as can be expected with Snyder still as an owner.  Rivera, had a good reputation as a solid, high character coach and inspired trust and loyalty.

But I never got the sense that Rivera was some dynamic, creative genius -- rather the "slow and steadily improving" type of manager and  coach who was willing to try coping with Snyder's reluctance to make any costly improvements.  I don't think the addition of Meyhew helped, but what high-quality GM was willing to derail their career to work for Snyder?

Yes all very valid points 

The other being Rivera probably knew opportunities to get back to a head coach role so fast (or at all) would possibly not come up

1 hour ago, Warhead36 said:

Its a fair comp. Fisher took over the Rams when they were AWFUL and made them mediocre but at least kinda sorda respectable. Rivera is doing the same thing here. 

Im sorry but we were not "awful" before rivera took over, its just unfortunate Gruden was stripped of his QB and all his receivers which left him with hardly any talent on offense for him to coach around. We aren't any better than any of the years Gruden was here....At least Gruden had a couple winning seasons, before they decided we didn't need Pierre Garçon or Desean Jackson anymore...because we had Terrell Pryor. Rivera would be 3-13 on average with bruce Allen at helm.

Edited by CjSuAvE22
  • Thumb up 2

2 hours ago, Searchingforaqb said:

It hurts to think about them all, and I'll admit that I was once again wrong about Kevin O'Connell's future. Even so, It doesn't really matter who any of the future head coaches were that left instead of Jay and Rivera: Dan kneecapped every single coach that's ever been here. Kevin, Kyle, Sean and LaFleur all have competent front offices to get them what they really need, not what they think they need. Jay and Shanny had Brucifer, Rivera and his own yes-men were the only way to escape Dan's yes-men. Maybe Rivera could be decent with a genuine front office to steer the ship. We'll never know. It's Rivera's ship now. When it sinks, he sinks with it.

4 hours ago, Searchingforaqb said:

You left out Mike McDaniel whoes team just scored 70 points on the Broncos. So many our assistant coaches from Shanny era are head coaches and one of them even won a SB. It hurts to even think about this. :( 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

12 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

Its a fair comp. Fisher took over the Rams when they were AWFUL and made them mediocre but at least kinda sorda respectable. Rivera is doing the same thing here. 

And then a new GM and McVay took them over the top once they were sick of being mired in mediocrity. 

Let’s hope we’re on a similar track 

• Like 2