Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Ron Rivera = Jeff Fisher?

Searchingforaqb

22 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

This quote, man. At least it makes me feel less bad for wanting him out of here. So pompous. So out of touch with the situation at hand.

Year 4, how many of the six captains did he draft? One.

He didn’t draft 40, he drafted 33.

Let’s take a look:

2020. How many guys have been extended? At least the number two overall pick had his fifth year option picked up…oh, wait.

Rubik’s Cube retired. Ishmael is gone. Charles couldn’t get on the field until year four. How many of Young, Curl, Smith-Williams, Gibson, Hudson and Charles will return in 2024? This may have been their best class.

2021: 10 picks including a LS. The three seventh rounders are PS/bottom of the roster guys that will likely turn over with a new coaching staff. The other six picks result in a CB, S, LB, oft injured G, a pretty decent #4 receiver, and a blocking TE who plays less than 40% of the snaps while his QB is on pace to set the record for being sacked in a season. There are some nice role pieces here. Nobody that stands out, but some guys that can competently round out a roster.

2022: A #2 receiver, a DT who can’t stay on the field, a tough RB, a third safety on a defense that gives up 30+ points a game, a diamond in the rough QB who has shown he belongs, a back up pass catching TE, a G who sits behind the G who couldn’t get on the field for three years, and a ST gunner.

2023. Oh boy. The book hasn’t been written on this class, but the first chapter features a shell shocked first round corner and a 2 and 3 who can’t get on the field for a sub .500 club. There’s a nice backup RB sprinkled in.

If a new regime comes in and turns this team around, they ain’t doing it with the guys that were drafted these past four seasons playing prominent roles save maybe 5-8 guys.

• Like 5

8 hours ago, Ball Security said:

This quote, man. At least it makes me feel less bad for wanting him out of here. So pompous. So out of touch with the situation at hand.

Year 4, how many of the six captains did he draft? One.

He didn’t draft 40, he drafted 33.

Let’s take a look:

2020. How many guys have been extended? At least the number two overall pick had his fifth year option picked up…oh, wait.

Rubik’s Cube retired. Ishmael is gone. Charles couldn’t get on the field until year four. How many of Young, Curl, Smith-Williams, Gibson, Hudson and Charles will return in 2024? This may have been their best class.

2021: 10 picks including a LS. The three seventh rounders are PS/bottom of the roster guys that will likely turn over with a new coaching staff. The other six picks result in a CB, S, LB, oft injured G, a pretty decent #4 receiver, and a blocking TE who plays less than 40% of the snaps while his QB is on pace to set the record for being sacked in a season. There are some nice role pieces here. Nobody that stands out, but some guys that can competently round out a roster.

2022: A #2 receiver, a DT who can’t stay on the field, a tough RB, a third safety on a defense that gives up 30+ points a game, a diamond in the rough QB who has shown he belongs, a back up pass catching TE, a G who sits behind the G who couldn’t get on the field for three years, and a ST gunner.

2023. Oh boy. The book hasn’t been written on this class, but the first chapter features a shell shocked first round corner and a 2 and 3 who can’t get on the field for a sub .500 club. There’s a nice backup RB sprinkled in.

If a new regime comes in and turns this team around, they ain’t doing it with the guys that were drafted these past four seasons playing prominent roles save maybe 5-8 guys.

The fact that he's a nice dude and still this level pompous about his job status considering he hasn't had one winning season -- and his comments to me come off like hey if i don't have a winning season even in my 4th year here so what -- brings home IMO why we don't want a football coach to be the Czar here and run everything.  He's bascially is his own boss.  Everything runs through him.  No checks and balances.  So everyone kisses up to him and I'd bet tells him what he wants to hear.

I was fine with it under Dan because it helps mitigate Dan being the defacto GM but with Dan gone IMO its a bad setup to say the least.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 6

41 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I was fine with it under Dan because it helps mitigate Dan being the defacto GM but with Dan gone IMO its a bad setup to say the least.

True, it’s essentially created a monster though.  That comment is so cringey, it doesn’t sound like something the guy would have ever thought of saying before he took an office in Ashburn.

Edited by BatteredFanSyndrome
  • Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

2 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

True, it’s essentially created a monster though.  That comment is so cringey, it doesn’t sound like something the guy would have ever thought of saying before he took an office in Ashburn.

Agree.  Ditto him suggesting that he shouldn't be held that its his 4th season.  If I were a betting man I'd bet internally they have serious doubts they win this seaon and have convinced themselves it was a project that would take 5 years and if he just had that 5th year they'd kill it. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Loved "that comment is so cringey"! 

It's upsetting based on his win-loss record, personnel misses and not holding himself or staff responsible for poor game plans and ability to adjust during the game.

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Agree.  Ditto him suggesting that he shouldn't be held that its his 4th season.  If I were a betting man I'd bet internally they have serious doubts they win this seaon and have convinced themselves it was a project that would take 5 years and if he just had that 5th year they'd kill it. 

I can see that or at least trying to convince themselves. There was a glimmer of hope for him/them after a really good bounce-back showing in Philly. To me, Thursdays game was the nail in his Washington coffin, makes Harris's decision simple. There will be no 5th year.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, DWinzit said:

I can see one way that Rivera keeps his job.

He fires JDR asap, takes over the defensive play calling and turns the team around winning 10 games.

Yup, I know, it won't happen so bye Ron.

I don't even think he can call a modern Defense. Ron is the type of Chef that sits in the office all day and forgets how to make chicken noodle soup after decades of not picking up a knife. 

We let the one person that could call a modern defense walk in Chris Harris. Ron would only expose himself more by having to call plays. 

• Like 2

Hoffman.  It's worth clicking on that link and watching it.  He nails it, perfectly explained.     And Hoffman works with by a mile the most pollyana-optimsitc dude about Ron and this regime, Logan Paulsen.  I don't blame Logan, he works for the team.  But it makes the Hoffman take even more powerful.  He explains why this team is limited with Ron and does it with no anger.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 3
  • Sad 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

19 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Hoffman.  It's worth clicking on that link and watching it.  He nails it, perfectly explained.     And Hoffman works with by a mile the most pollyana-optimsitc dude about Ron and this regime, Logan Paulsen.  I don't blame Logan, he works for the team.  But it makes the Hoffman take even more powerful.  He explains why this team is limited with Ron and does it with no anger.

They can't fire JDR because there is no one capable of replacing him and it's "an indictment of building a staff that isn't very good"! 🤢

2 hours ago, KDawg said:

I wouldn’t take the job unless the salary ends in six zeroes! I’d have all of you turning on me as fast as they announce me :ols:

The gameday thread might be brutal.  But we'd rename the Next Day thread in your honor and you'd have editorial control.  @RandyHolt though is already saying you don't blitz enough.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3