Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Ron Rivera = Jeff Fisher?

Searchingforaqb

10 minutes ago, Springfield said:

Honestly, why are we wasting our time with Rivera? He’s clearly going to be gone at the end of the season. Why no just remove him now and move on sooner?

Because it's embarrassing now, but it's a coaches mess. If the owner fires Ron now, it's the owner's mess, and there isn't another coach on the team to begin to make it better.

• Thanks 1

1. Time to change the title of this thread, no more beating around the bush. Rivera needs to be fired.

2. I'm curious, how many of you think Rivera needs to be fired and did you feel that way before the game? I was iffy on him, I really want EB, but if Ron does well he should keep his job. **** that, he needs to go no matter what happens.

7 minutes ago, NickyJ said:

Because it's embarrassing now, but it's a coaches mess. If the owner fires Ron now, it's the owner's mess, and there isn't another coach on the team to begin to make it better.

It’s not the owners mess. He didn’t hire a single person. Didn’t sign a single persons contract. The mess was made. It gives Josh the opportunity to start picking things up. Also allows him to go to the FO guys and say “let me see what you all can do for our future” with our Ron putting the Kabash on trades. Sell everything not bolted down. Terry JA Payne. Anyone I’d be ok moving in from

25 minutes ago, Springfield said:

Honestly, why are we wasting our time with Rivera? He’s clearly going to be gone at the end of the season. Why no just remove him now and move on sooner?

Maybe Josh wants more game balls and the interim coach won’t deliver?

• Sad 1

Just now, Stihl89 said:

It’s not the owners mess. He didn’t hire a single person. Didn’t sign a single persons contract. The mess was made. It gives Josh the opportunity to start picking things up. Also allows him to go to the FO guys and say “let me see what you all can do for our future” with our Ron putting the Kabash on trades. Sell everything not bolted down. Terry JA Payne. Anyone I’d be ok moving in from

You're agreeing with me that the current staff is not the owners' mess. The moment the owners take the head of a coach and appoint a successor, even a temporary one, it's the owners' mess. Unless the locker room is in full revolt, I expect the owners to stay the course and wait for the offseason to clean house.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, NickyJ said:

You're agreeing with me that the current staff is not the owners' mess. The moment the owners take the head of a coach and appoint a successor, even a temporary one, it's the owners' mess. Unless the locker room is in full revolt, I expect the owners to stay the course and wait for the offseason to clean house.

Except it can’t become the owners mess. Josh played zero part in it 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Simmsy said:

1. Time to change the title of this thread, no more beating around the bush. Rivera needs to be fired.

2. I'm curious, how many of you think Rivera needs to be fired and did you feel that way before the game? I was iffy on him, I really want EB, but if Ron does well he should keep his job. **** that, he needs to go no matter what happens.

LOL, I’ve felt this way since March 2022, when we traded for Wentz, and became a laughingstock around the league (at least a bigger laughingstock than we usually are).  I knew right then and there that Rivera had absolutely no idea what he was doing on the FO/Talent Evaluator side, and I already wasn’t much of a fan of his with regards to his actual coaching acumen.  When he started Wentz against the Browns, and then stated that he didn’t realize that the team would be eliminated with a loss, that just confirmed for me that he was just as lousy a coach as he was a de facto GM.  

Tonight has been a long time coming.  Finally the entire country is now witness to the incompetence of Ron Rivera, and his time is up.

• Like 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 3

11 minutes ago, Stihl89 said:

He'd be playing a part by choosing who the new head coach is, who makes every football game choice for the rest of the season. He could pick Del Rio. He could pick Bieniemy. He could pick Kaczor. He could pick a random assistant coach. What happens for the rest of the season under the leadership of the coach that the Hand of Josh reached down and lifted up would be Josh's mess if it goes poorly and Josh's success if it somehow fixed something.

Or, Josh can wait for the offseason, get a GM who isn't a Rivera lackey, and let the GM do GM things.

Edited by NickyJ

4 minutes ago, NickyJ said:

He'd be playing a part by choosing who the new head coach is, who makes every football game choice for the rest of the season. He could pick Del Rio. He could pick Bieniemy. He could pick Kaczor. He could pick a random assistant coach. What happens for the rest of the season under the leadership of the coach that the Hand of Josh reached down and lifted up would be Josh's mess if it goes poorly and Josh's success if it somehow fixed something.

This season doesn’t matter post Ron firing. Every fan knows that 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Stihl89 said:

This season doesn’t matter post Ron firing. Every fan knows that 

Was there supposed to be rebuttal in this post? The season doesn't matter. So why would Josh dirty his hands now instead of waiting to hire a competent GM to actually do something useful?

7 minutes ago, NickyJ said:

Was there supposed to be rebuttal in this post? The season doesn't matter. So why would Josh dirty his hands now instead of waiting to hire a competent GM to actually do something useful?

Because it’s not dirtying his hands

20 hours ago, NickyJ said:

This is actually a sensible take. Josh needs a real GM to make all these decisions. We don’t quite have one yet. If there were a proper GM, then we could drop Rivera easily. Harris firing Rivera really comes off as Snyder-esque if it backfires and doesn’t work out.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Springfield said:

This is actually a sensible take. Josh needs a real GM to make all these decisions. We don’t quite have one yet. If there were a proper GM, then we could drop Rivera easily. Harris firing Rivera really comes off as Snyder-esque if it backfires and doesn’t work out.

Works out? In what way? There’s no way Josh looks bad for firing ron

On one hand, I feel Rivera deserves to be fired right now.  He’s been dreadful in every facet of being a head coach the entire calendar year.  At a time when he’s had every opportunity to separate himself from the Snyder stench he chose not to.  He went out of his way to defend the guy on his way out.  He had a dreadful offseason, both FA and draft.  The only draft picks playing are dreadful, the rest can’t get on the field.  The FA’s particularly Wiley and Barton, and to a lesser extent Gates, have been abused.  On the mic, he’s said so many stupid things it almost as if he’s  trying to sound stupid on purpose.  The butt kissing of Josh with all the freaking gameballs. 🤣 Okay, maybe this doesn’t fit in with the list - but you get where I’m going.

I really gave this guy a lot of rope due to the circumstances with his health, working for Dan, and what that does to a man.  But he just keeps regressing, like most who ever come into close contact with Dan - they become a shell of themselves.

On the other hand, I still feel like Ron absolutely deserves to be fired - but it serves no purpose for Harris and the organization.  The heir apparent isn’t waiting in the wings.  Why  put the players and remaining staff  through a bunch of drama for 12 weeks with no real end game.  While I also would love to see Jack fired on GP, I’d prefer the owner not force hiring and firings.  Particularly when it really is of no benefit to the team.

Edited by BatteredFanSyndrome
  • Like 3

20 hours ago, Stihl89 said:

You're missing the entire point. Once he fires the head coach and appoints someone else head coach, it becomes his mess. Wait until the season is over and do things the right way. Don't be like the previous owner.

• Thumb down 1

40 minutes ago, RVAskins said:

You're missing the entire point. Once he fires the head coach and appoints someone else head coach, it becomes his mess. Wait until the season is over and do things the right way. Don't be like the previous owner.

I get the point. I think it’s wildly wrong. It’s an interim. It’s not appointing one for the future. It’s a steward until real changes can be made.