Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Next Day Thread: Pew Pew Pew... Shots... Explosives

KDawg

1 hour ago, mistertim said:

That hit on Howell should have been an immediate ejection, a fine, and a possible suspension. That wasn't incidental in any way. He knew Howell was out of bounds already, he launched himself, and he specifically launched himself head first at Howell's helmet. 

Agree and there better be some big fines or suspensions for a game (3) for head hunting threw most of the 1st half. They wanted to take Howell out there was no mistake about that. Officials sucked the hole day and they deserve to be disciplined too.

• Like 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

Some more next day analysis: 

Howell: 

Short Right: 3 / 4,  20 yards (Dotson, Thomas, Samuel)

Short Middle: 4 / 6, 50 yards  (Dotson x2, Thomasx2)

Short left: 6/10, 36 yards (Samuel x2, Robinson, McLaurin, Dotson, Gibson)

Deep Middle 1/2 19 yards (McLaurin)

Deep Right 1/1 17 yards (Turner)

Robinson

Right End: 1 for -1

Right Tackle 3 for 12

Right Guard 1 for 5

Up the Middle 2 for 6

Left Guard 6 for 25

Left Tackle 3 for 9

Left End 3 for 3

Rodriguez

Left Guard 1 for 2

Up the middle 2 for 5

Gibson

Right Tackle 1 for 3

Right Guard 1 for 3

Up the Middl 1 for 3

Curtis Samuel

Left Tackle 1 for 3

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

29 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

In fairness to Forbes, you really didn't hear his name much which means he did his job. He did give up a big 3rd down completion to Hollywood Brown but other than that I think he stuck to his man like white on rice.

Forbes also had a really nice pass break up late in the game (last play? Can’t remember). The WR broke hard over the middle of the field and Forbes had such great anticipation on it he made up like a step and a half coming out of the break. 
edit: yes was the 4th and 10 play to end the game. Check this out 

Edited by TheGoodBits
  • Like 3

Offensive spotlight: Howell had an up-and-down outing in his second NFL regular-season start. He threw a touchdown in the first quarter, but it took until the fourth quarter for the Washington offense to get back in the end zone — with multiple sacks and turnovers leading up to that point. Luckily, the Commanders’ defense forced a turnover inside the Cardinals’ territory where Howell utilized his legs and scrambled for a touchdown. From that point on, the Commanders added a field goal to their one-point lead and held on for the win.

Cardinals’ starting quarterback Josh Dobbs managed the game well enough to get Matt Prater into field goal range on three separate occasions, which made up all of the Cardinals’ offensive points. The defense added a touchdown for the other score. Dobbs completed 21 of his 30 passes for 132 yards with no interceptions.

Defensive spotlight: The Commanders’ defensive line took it to the Cardinals’ offensive line, totaling 14 total pressures after PFF's initial review of the game, which included three sacks of Dobbs. The unit also secured two fumbles. Edge defender Montez Sweat and interior defender Jonathan Allen, specifically, dominated in this game — with 1.5 sacks for Sweat, one for Allen and four unofficial pressures for each.

Rookie spotlight: Commanders’ first-round rookie cornerback Emmanuel Forbes worked as the team’s third cornerback and made a big play late in the game to help seal the win for Washington. Forbes was targeted just twice in this game and did not allow a single reception, pending review.

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-week-1-game-recap-washington-commanders-20-arizona-cardinals-16

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Fan since a Fetus said:

Just saw this, there might be a team missing. 

Dude is 23. Nobody should be staying he is what he is. Many TEs take a while to develop. 

if he can snag passes like he did yesterday then he should be in. I think Thomas let through a pass rusher for a sack or loss, I forget which one. I can see Turner being comparable right now and he has more of a a future

Thomas has not been a player for a couple years, But he is loved by the team.  Can Turner block?  Hold on to the ball?  He is what he is 23 and learning. We have 0 no.1 TE's on this team. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, skinsfan66 said:

Cole Turner is what he is, TE3 in this league and overrated here. Fragile and cannot not be trusted to hold on to the ball would be my answer.  A.Rogers going down early is what hurt the group the most. 

We don’t know what he is yet would be my response. Get him more snaps and let’s find out.

He is certainly someone who can stretch a seam or run a corner route against a C3 defense better than Thomas. If we ever play a team that sits in C3 all game of course …

• Like 3

12 hours ago, mistertim said:

This is silly. It was his second NFL start and he played pretty decent for how little experience he has. The only way Brissett is coming in by week 6 is if 1) Howell gets injured or 2) Howell throws 3 TDs and 15 INTs over the next 5 games.

Yes he's holding the ball too long at times, but it takes experience for a NFL QB to get to the point where their recognition, processing, and then decision making is where you'd want it to ideally be.

If his decision making isn't quicker by the end of the season then I'll be concerned.

Disagree... now i might be exaggerating a bit on week 6 but if we go 1-4 over the next weeks... i would bet Brisket gets the nod. Riverboat is coaching(if thats what you want to call it) for his job this season. Experience obviously helps.. but quick decision making ... you either have it or you don't. Howell had a full off season as the unquestioned qb1

Dobbs only had 2 career games under his resume... yet he was processing much faster w fewer O weapons. 

again.. i am not killing Howell on this.. 1st week of the season is usually an aberation anyway.. and an overreaction derby but he needs to show improvements quickly. Better protection overall is key and not impressed with O coaching either. Hopefully they figure it out quick.. or Bienemy will be joining Riverboat on the scrap heap at the end of the season. 

25 minutes ago, Fan since a Fetus said:

Just saw this, there might be a team missing. 

Dude is 23. Nobody should be staying he is what he is. Many TEs take a while to develop. 

if he can snag passes like he did yesterday then he should be in. I think Thomas let through a pass rusher for a sack or loss, I forget which one. I can see Turner being comparable right now and he has more of a a future

There is 32 teams on that list, no team is missing?

• Like 1

If things are going badly enough Sam needs to be pulled for performance reasons this season Ron and with him most of the front office and coaches are toast. 

Sam, the front office and most of the coaching staff are tied at the hip. They live or die together. He’s going to get a really long rope. As he should. 

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 2

1 minute ago, MartinC said:

If things are going badly enough Sam needs to be pulled for performance reasons this season Ron and with him most of the front office and coaches are toast. 

Sam, the front office and most of the coaching staff are tied at the hip. They live or die together. He’s going to get a really long rope. As he should. 

I agree that he should as well, the kid only started 2 NFL games and shows flashes of greatness. If he would be benched for brissett ron would be phoning it into retirement.

6 minutes ago, MartinC said:

I hope so.  The season is essentially over and you are admitting to any incoming coach that Howell ain't the guy.  Would be terrible to bench him for performance.  

38 minutes ago, DJHJR86 said:

The team does have talent everywhere except the o-line.  The QB is a big question mark, but trending upward.  This team had talent last year too.  People were saying that if we had Jacoby Brissett last year, they would've made the playoffs.  

Very little Talent at TE also. It's the QB's fault the last 5 years, Right? If the OL would have blocked in either of the Giants game we would have been in the playoffs. But we go out and draft 2 DB's. because it was a more important need and no.1 on a lot of lists. 

Overall, I think Ron and Co. have done a fair job in restocking the team with legit NFL talent when we had little or none when he arrived. The only problem is they’ve somehow managed to neglect the one unit that statistically, contributes the most to winning.

All that said, I’m just happy to be able to really cheer for and care about the team again. Anything we do over 1 win is gravy to me this year. 

• Thumb down 1

24 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Our offense just looked so incredibly unprepared that it's alarming. 

Idk, man, 22 year old QB in new offense that the OC just built because this his first time having his own offense and calling plays regularly...combine with a bad oline I can see only so much preparing for that won't still look like what we saw yesterday.

And we still won.  Bieniemy is going to have growing pains, too, even if he is the eventual future HC here.  If we do clear house this offseason for any reason, is be pissed if he can't at least interviewed for the HC job.

We need to be patient with him and Howell.  Folks like Rivera and JDR are the ones that should be in the hot seat (not even sure why we talkin about Del Rio right now, defense saved our ass yesterday)

Edited by Renegade7
  • Like 2
  • Thumb up 2

5 minutes ago, The Sisko said:

Overall, I think Ron and Co. have done a fair job in restocking the team with legit NFL talent when we had little or none when he arrived. The only problem is they’ve somehow managed to neglect the one unit that statistically, contributes the most to winning.

All that said, I’m just happy to be able to really cheer for and care about the team again. Anything we do over 1 win is gravy to me this year. 

He enhanced a good defense and made it even better.  He took one of the best offensive lines in the league and made it one of the worst.

The two things have sort of balanced each other out.

As for roster building, I'll give him..

giphy.gif

But I think the roster could quickly be elevated to an 8 next off season with some major O line moves.  

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4
  • Thumb up 1

4 hours ago, MartinC said:

One thing I think we can all agree on is Sam can’t take the number of hits he had yesterday and make it through 17 games. 

I think we can also all agree that it's incredibly valuable to now have a full game of film for the team to dissect. Any improvements whatsoever for the offense will be crucial!

52 minutes ago, oraphus said:

Disagree... now i might be exaggerating a bit on week 6 but if we go 1-4 over the next weeks... i would bet Brisket gets the nod. Riverboat is coaching(if thats what you want to call it) for his job this season. Experience obviously helps.. but quick decision making ... you either have it or you don't. Howell had a full off season as the unquestioned qb1

Dobbs only had 2 career games under his resume... yet he was processing much faster w fewer O weapons. 

again.. i am not killing Howell on this.. 1st week of the season is usually an aberation anyway.. and an overreaction derby but he needs to show improvements quickly. Better protection overall is key and not impressed with O coaching either. Hopefully they figure it out quick.. or Bienemy will be joining Riverboat on the scrap heap at the end of the season. 

You're not exaggerating a bit, you're exaggerating a lot. (Also, do you actually know his name isn't Brisket? Or are you trying to be funny/clever?)

If we go 1-4 over the next weeks and it's because Howell is regressing big time, throwing INTs right and left, not making plays, and is one of the main reasons, then sure. But if Howell is getting murdered behind our OL, but is still doing ok and making what plays he can, then no chance.

In that case there's zero reason to think Brissett would do any better. He's not a good QB. He's a career backup, nothing more. He's also older and less mobile/slippery than Howell, so he'd probably do even worse behind a horrid OL. Brissett certainly isn't going to save Ron's job. If we go 1-4 and look horrid over the next several week then Ron's job is gone anyway.

As far as quick decision making, that's nonsense. Every single NFL player will tell you that over time the game starts to slow down more for them and they make faster decisions. It takes some time and experience to adjust to the NFL, and you can only get so much through practice reps. This is true for QBs more than any other position. QBs don't come into the NFL immediately ready to deal with the speed of the NFL game, the complexities of NFL offenses, NFL defenses, NFL reads, NFL route concepts, timing, etc.

That's why I said that if Howell hasn't shown clear improvement in that area by the end of the season, then I'll be concerned. But expecting him to make light year jumps immediately just isn't realistic.

Edited by mistertim
  • Like 1

Interesting thing JP Finlay mentioned in this recap, there were a ton of off field distractions the last couple weeks, that included player participation at ralley events as late as Friday night.  Not something that they've been involved in before.  I think when you lump that on to pressure and local attention of star power, alumni, fan and owner expectations, there might be something to it.

We'll see