Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Next Day Thread: Pew Pew Pew... Shots... Explosives

KDawg

28 minutes ago, FootballZombie said:

We have to be a little more conservative w/ our trick plays

Nothing and I mean nothing draws the evil eye towards an OC like a failed trick play when your O is struggling... and we got 248 yards.

When KC does it and fails. nobody cares, they will cover it up w/ their 500 yd/gm O. If we try n fail... its all anyone's gonna talk about.

I'd crucify EB if he tried to run a reverse and the O line collapsed in on itself like an imploding star. You'd hear me over the crowd at the stadium

Until we get a bit more production outta the O, I'm fine with a lack of trick plays... for now at least. Still gotta be more creative however, less runs just smashing straight ahead into mobs.

I am also worried about the "we are gonna use Gibby better" lip service only to put him out there and almost exclusively make him the same run-him-into-brick-walls RB like the last regime. Get him in space, like on that screen play. Stop trying to make him a bulldozer.

Gibson only had 3 carries - none after the fumble. Only touch he got after the fumble was a single catch on a screen play. Hes not going to get many carries of any kind until he makes a play or two in the passing game and starts to earn some trust back.

I was surprised we didn't use more play action. Run more outside zone and some boot looks off that to use Howells mobility and get him out of the pocket with some nice half field high/low reads.

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 4

58 minutes ago, MartinC said:

Gibson only had 3 carries - none after the fumble. Only touch he got after the fumble was a single catch on a screen play. Hes not going to get many carries of any kind until he makes a play or two in the passing game and starts to earn some trust back.

I was surprised we didn't use more play action. Run more outside zone and some boot looks off that to use Howells mobility and get him out of the pocket with some nice half field high/low reads.

We never set up any reason to be concerned about play action, because our run game was bad and we were too pass happy to start the game. It was a terrible game plan.

• Thumb up 1

According to ESPN weekly stats, we were 4 best Defense behind Cleveland, Dallas and Rams - so there's that.

Meanwhile, Keim mention on The Junkies this week, the game plan was more vertical passing to start with.  Suppose they thought they'd be better in that 1st half.

40 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

We never set up any reason to be concerned about play action, because our run game was bad and we were too pass happy to start the game. It was a terrible game plan.

The great thing about play action is data shows that the success of play action has no correlation with the frequency or success of your running game. It’s counterintuitive - but data is data. 

But I tend to agree with you on the game plan. To be fair we were playing a team with anew coaching staff and basically new roster. Not much to game plan against. This week they have film - less excuse.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

You don’t have to run the ball for play action to be effective.  That’s counter intuitive, but true. 

28 minutes ago, MartinC said:

The great thing about play action is data shows that the success of play action has no correlation with the frequency or success of your running game. It’s counterintuitive - but data is data. 

But I tend to agree with you on the game plan. To be fair we were playing a team with anew coaching staff and basically new roster. Not much to game plan against. This week they have film - less excuse.

While I do know and agree about that (don't have to run it for it to work), I'm not sure if that's true when you're playing the worst run team from the previous year, who ran it the most and while we had a young QB and new OC, so I'm sure everyone assumed we'd be run heavy any way, when we weren't, they just Tee'd off on us relentlessly and then in the second half when we only ran it, it looked like that's what they game planned against.

2 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

You don’t have to run the ball for play action to be effective.  That’s counter intuitive, but true. 

Thank you. I’m sick of posting this and all the research that supports it lol 

1 hour ago, Koolblue13 said:

While I do know and agree about that (don't have to run it for it to work), I'm not sure if that's true when you're playing the worst run team from the previous year, who ran it the most and while we had a young QB and new OC, so I'm sure everyone assumed we'd be run heavy any way, when we weren't, they just Tee'd off on us relentlessly and then in the second half when we only ran it, it looked like that's what they game planned against.

This is fair too though, these things don’t happen in a vacuum 

Edited by Conn
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

Arguably going pass first would have done better if it weren't for the failed connections to Logan and bogus penalty call on his long reception.  The run plays themselves and RB usage was where the game plan sucked IMO.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, RandyHolt said:

Arguably going pass first would have done better if it weren't for the failed connections to Logan and bogus penalty call on his long reception.  The run plays themselves and RB usage was where the game plan sucked IMO.

Underrated comment. Our offense would have seemed/been a lot more efficient if Logan had made some of those catches.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Captain James said:

Underrated comment. Our offense would have seemed/been a lot more efficient if Logan had made some of those catches.

1. Logan makes those catches

2. Gibson doesn't fumble

3. Howell doesn't fumble

4. No Howell pick

5. No bad OPI call

6. No bad 3rd down missed first down on that screen. 

Any of those taken back and it's easier for us. 

• Like 1

Just now, Thinking Skins said:

1. Logan makes those catches

2. Gibson doesn't fumble

3. Howell doesn't fumble

4. No Howell pick

5. No bad OPI call

6. No bad 3rd down missed first down on that screen. 

Any of those taken back and it's easier for us. 

Obviously it's football and things happen all game long... but it certainly didn't help that one of our pass catchers that we were clearly trying to feature, had himself a bad game.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Captain James said:

Obviously it's football and things happen all game long... but it certainly didn't help that one of our pass catchers that we were clearly trying to feature, had himself a bad game.

I just like the resiliency in this team. I was on Twitter and people were like down because of the fumble and then the being down and I was just like all it takes is one play. And they were just like not with this team man. But I'm not seeing that. 

I thought Wentz had it last year when he came back against Jacksonville in similar fashion, but he's seasoned vet. Howell is a young guy who's learning so this is fun. 

9 minutes ago, Thinking Skins said:

I just like the resiliency in this team. I was on Twitter and people were like down because of the fumble and then the being down and I was just like all it takes is one play. And they were just like not with this team man. But I'm not seeing that. 

I thought Wentz had it last year when he came back against Jacksonville in similar fashion, but he's seasoned vet. Howell is a young guy who's learning so this is fun. 

The way Howell bounced back after the fumble that led to their TD was encouraging. He had way less than 2 minutes (but 3 TOs) but he threw the ball with authority. The throw go Samuels on that drive was a laser. 

He showed he has something on that drive. 

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

So they won’t do something about a problem until it bites them in the bum? Thats an ‘interesting’ approach. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Featuring the guy who missed almost the entirety of Preseason was the best-est strategy. No way he'll be rusty.

Featuring one of the worst units on your team was a solid bet as well. No complaints.

This is my surprised face about problems surrounding the TE position.

sp.jpg.52fee50d2541568e152c566c459ce3f8.jpg

At least they stayed healthy I guess.  /s

• Haha 2