Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Game Day Thread: Commanders vs. Cardinals - No mercy for the helpless red birds!

zCommander

Just now, mistertim said:

I mean, has he been that bad? He's had a couple of bad passes, but plenty of good ones. INT was a tipped ball. Fumbled was definitely on him. 

I think he looks like what he is: a very talented player who's still very new to the NFL and is starting his 2nd game ever.

That is what I am saying. He is fine. And he is going to have his great moments and a few not so great.  The protection was not great upfront, but the fumble was on him. But like I said you have to admire him coming back and getting a FG.  That might make all the difference in the 2nd half. I like Howell a lot. But he is still, in most regards, a rookie. 

Just now, mistertim said:

I mean, has he been that bad? He's had a couple of bad passes, but plenty of good ones. INT was a tipped ball. Fumbled was definitely on him. 

I think he looks like what he is: a very talented player who's still very new to the NFL and is starting his 2nd game ever.

Exactly it. I didn’t like his decision on the tipped pass but the read was fine. The almost ints are because AZ is sitting on hitches and we aren’t challenging the deep defenders with routes behind. Expect to see that adjustment. 

The fumble was a blown protection. Howell needs to protect but that’s how a young QB learns. If he makes that mistake in week 8 I’ll be more critical.

• Like 3
  • Thumb up 1

1 minute ago, KDawg said:

Positives:

Howell has a rocket and is fearless.

Guys are running open.

D is stout inside and in coverage. 
Dotson, Samuel, McLaurin and Turner look legit. 

Say what you will, but these 4 things are the hallmarks of a truly competitive team.  The reasons why this team isn't beating down Arizona comes down to circumstances, mistakes, occurrences, and other things that fall into 2 categories:  1) sometimes the ball just goes in a quirky direction and stuff happens; and 2) mistakes or specific things that can be worked on and eliminated/corrected.  You either have a rocket and are fearless or you don't and you ain't, but you can fix fumbling.  (Mark Rypien has entered the chat.)

• Like 1

Just now, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I like that Sam DGAF, but also dislike that he DGAF.

It looks like he’s been watching Mahomes film. He has to learn his limitations versus Mahomes now and play more to his strengths. But he has played this half as if he was Mahomes with Reid and not that he is Sam Howell with EB. 

That isn’t meant as an insult. He has a lot of similarities with Pat. But he isn’t Pat. He’ll learn. He’s a smart guy.

• Like 1