Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Official 2023 Roster Cuts News & Speculation Thread

MartinC

So the Ravens cut the TE who scored two impressive TD's against us and it has me thinking about which TE we could cut in order to pick this kid, or another free agent TE up? I keep coming back to Logan Thomas as the odd man out due to his injury history and his age in addition to his cap number. What do we really expect to get out of LT this season that's over and above what the others can provide as a group? Is it worth keeping him around at the expense of playing time for the younger guys and a roster spot for a younger prospect? 

11 hours ago, RVAskins said:

Speaking of special teams, I do that every time Slye kicks a PAT or FG.

Eh I beg to differ.. Joey's actually been a really good PK for us *knocks on wood*. He's pretty accurate and has a big leg, sure he has some flubs (what place kicker doesn't?) but he's far better than what we've had at PK in the last 10 years.

1 minute ago, Tress Is The Way said:

Eh I beg to differ.. Joey's actually been a really good PK for us *knocks on wood*. He's pretty accurate and has a big leg, sure he has some flubs (what place kicker doesn't?) but he's far better than what we've had at PK in the last 10 years.

Its the kickers that "bend em like Beckham" that get me. Looks like its going wide and then gradually eases just inside.

12 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

So the Ravens cut the TE who scored two impressive TD's against us and it has me thinking about which TE we could cut in order to pick this kid, or another free agent TE up? I keep coming back to Logan Thomas as the odd man out due to his injury history and his age in addition to his cap number. What do we really expect to get out of LT this season that's over and above what the others can provide as a group? Is it worth keeping him around at the expense of playing time for the younger guys and a roster spot for a younger prospect? 

Hodges to me would be the obvious cut candidate.  He can run and great size, but he hasn't shown much in practice or the preseason games.  

I think Logan Thomas is the best TE on the roster.  The beat reporters seem to think he is quite a bit ahead of the other TE's in terms of receiving.  If you think he will play most of the year I would definitely keep him.  That said I think this is likely his last year on this team unless he takes a veterans minimum contract or something like that next year.

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Yeah a few beat guys referenced it.  Even Bram who is the most optimistic about this team among the beat guys said LB wasn't a concern for him before camp but it is a concern of his now.

If backer wasn’t a concern for him pre camp he wasn’t paying attention! I recall he said that it wasn’t a concern though more because he felt that we would not have many linebackers on the field most of the time with hybrids like Curl playing what would normally be a backer spot. That’s something we have talked about off an on and is part of why we only kept 4 backers.

Davis has a court date this week - he availability might be in question for at least some games based on the outcome of that hearing.

3 minutes ago, philibusters said:

Hodges to me would be the obvious cut candidate.  He can run and great size, but he hasn't shown much in practice or the preseason games.  

I think Logan Thomas is the best TE on the roster.  The beat reporters seem to think he is quite a bit ahead of the other TE's in terms of receiving.  If you think he will play most of the year I would definitely keep him.  That said I think this is likely his last year on this team unless he takes a veterans minimum contract or something like that next year.

Hodges should be on the PS. I highly doubt he’d get claimed and he’s not earned a spot on the 53 IMO.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, MartinC said:

Davis has a court date this week - he availability might be in question for at least some games based on the outcome of that hearing.

Keim mentioned this on last nights podcast.  He said Thursday is court date, they'll know how long he has to serve.  Maybe that's why they said FB/OL would be brought back later this week because they'll put Jamin on some "non football illness" suspension?

50 minutes ago, Tress Is The Way said:

I get the same anxiety, but somehow it seems to be Cheesies snaps that are the cause. Sure handed Tress has probably saved the Cheese a few times.

29 minutes ago, HigSkin said:

Keim mentioned this on last nights podcast.  He said Thursday is court date, they'll know how long he has to serve.  Maybe that's why they said FB/OL would be brought back later this week because they'll put Jamin on some "non football illness" suspension?

If Jamin is gonna be suspended wouldn't we need to sign another LB? 

22 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

If Jamin is gonna be suspended wouldn't we need to sign another LB? 

Right now its less a question of if he’s going to be suspended by the NFL, more a question of how much jail time he’s going to get and when he will have to serve it!

• Like 4

38 minutes ago, Tress Is The Way said:

I don't know what's been going on with cheese, his first year he was pretty automatic

I saw on a podcast (forget which one) that he was testing out a new technique during camp.  I don't know, doesn't make a lot of sense to me. It's not rocket science and once you're successful at it, it seems like you wouldn't **** around with it.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Rocky21 said:

I wish.  This upcoming season is his third season of doing a whole lot of nothing for us.  

He doesn't turn the ball over.

14 minutes ago, terpfan said:

Pretty soon we’re gonna be running the league’s first no LB defense. Honestly might be our best bet if Jamin is out. 

I don't think Barton is going to be bad for us.

• Like 2

Just curious.... Who thinks Washington will actually trade for or select another team's waived/released player to add to the Commanders roster? 

Versus who thinks Washington will decide to "stand pat" and not pursue any other team's players and just focus on getting their own players on the practice squad --and not bring in anybody new that hadn't been with them in preseason?

I tend to think Rivera and Co. will not be very active during this waiver-wire period, and just work with the folks they had in TC and preseason.

7 minutes ago, Wyvern said:

Just curious.... Who thinks Washington will actually trade for or select another team's waived/released player to add to the Commanders roster? 

Versus who thinks Washington will decide to "stand pat" and not pursue any other team's players and just focus on getting their own players on the practice squad --and not bring in anybody new that hadn't been with them in preseason?

I tend to think Rivera and Co. will not be very active during this waiver-wire period, and just work with the folks they had in TC and preseason.

I starting to believe that myself. It looks like the new owners want to see what they have and ride this season out for better or wose. I think the big changes are in the off season 🤔 

3 minutes ago, Wyvern said:

tend to think Rivera and Co. will not be very active during this waiver-wire period, and just work with the folks they had in TC and preseason.

I agree, although I could see maybe one addition but I wouldn't bank on it especially if most of our guys are healthy. 

Ron is a draft and groom head coach, it's just his style to want all his guys so to speak and get them all playing the way he wants them to versus plugging gaps with more talent.

Is it the right approach? So far less than spectacular results but this approach requires a ton of patience. 

I still think Ron is better than the sum of his parts so far and a lot of the criticism is way over the top but I've been wrong plenty of times before.