Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Game Day Thread - Preseason: The Commanders vs. The Bengals - Return of the B&G as The Fans Awaken!

zCommander

I don't feel any diff about EB because of what he does backups v backups.

Heck, he's had massive swaths of this preseason playing 1s vs 2s and 3s.

I still disliked what I saw from him the only time we saw 1 v 1s, so hopefully he does better than that in the reg season.

Edited by FootballZombie
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, FootballZombie said:

I don't care that we don't have some uber special RB. I love our entire room

And the best part is the whole position group costs us nothing.

I don't even care who does not make the PS. They are all worthy

I’m with you.  Best ST guy makes it as #4, 1 or 2 to PS?

I gotta say, although Holmes had some serious hits/tackles, Whittaker showed a whole lot more in coverage.  

Interesting that BMitch and Logan both seem to think Milne makes it, and a big part of that seems to be his receiving chops throughout camp, not just ST.

2 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

Same time PR and KR isn't that huge of a difference to not even try, imo.  Lolz, at practicing with someone else, don't be scurrrd : )

It’s a huge difference. Kick trajectory is way different and critically with a kickoff you have time after making the catch up look up and assess the rush, make decisions.

With a punt you have to look the ball in and secure the catch knowing those gunners are coming. I think punt returns are way more difficult and specialized than kickoffs - especially now you can take a knee on a kickoff and get the ball on the 25.

4 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

Interesting that BMitch and Logan both seem to think Milne makes it, and a big part of that seems to be his receiving chops throughout camp, not just ST.

Milne can do a lot of things - return punts and kicks, play every receiver spot. So he’s a good guy to have as your last receiver on gameday. 

Its just that he doesn’t do any of those things very well! I’d love us to find a way to keep someone with more upside over him. 

• Like 7
  • Thumb up 2

8 hours ago, MartinC said:

Milne can do a lot of things - return punts and kicks, play every receiver spot. So he’s a good guy to have as your last receiver on gameday. 

Its just that he doesn’t do any of those things very well! 

Jack of all trades.

Master of none. 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, MartinC said:

Tinsley is making this roster. 

He's the one I'm worried about getting poached, not Fromm or Brooks or any of the DLs or DBs.

He should be on the PS.  The PS is where UDFA rookies like him tend to start their careers, and he got enough of a UDFA bonus to keep him on our PS versus someone else's.  But I don't think he's a safe bet to get there if teams like Denver are watching our cuts.  Neither is Milne.  Tinsley's route running is too good for a rookie UDFA.  He's a better player than Milne and Allen are, it's unfortunate that he doesn't have their ST value.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Really really rough which makes me wonder if the “good camp” assessment is accurate…

Both things can be true at the same time.  Keim in particular highlighted how well he looked in camp, Del Rio, too.

4 minutes ago, Going Commando said:

He's the one I'm worried about getting poached, not Fromm or Brooks or any of the DLs or DBs.

He should be on the PS.  The PS is where UDFA rookies like him tend to start their careers, and he got enough of a UDFA bonus to keep him on our PS versus someone else's.  But I don't think he's a safe bet to get there if teams like Denver are watching our cuts.  Neither is Milne.  Tinsley's route running is too good for a rookie UDFA.  He's a better player than Milne and Allen are, it's unfortunate that he doesn't have their ST value.

Agree.  Standig has Tinsley making the roster.  And with only 9 O lineman to make it fit.  He mentioned that Brooks struggled towards the end of camp.

Screen Shot 2023-08-27 at 7.21.57 AM.png

Screen Shot 2023-08-27 at 7.22.10 AM.png

Screen Shot 2023-08-27 at 7.22.18 AM.png

Edited by Skinsinparadise

On another note: while I am down on the way Rivera speaks to the media at times and as a strategist GM (not as a talent evaluator as I feel we have added mostly decent to good players), I have been overall very happy with Rivera.

But I wonder if his… media personality… changes if this team gets some positive buzz and hype. It could. I listened on post game live when he said, “****, they were doing the wave.” thing…

I sat up and said, to myself, “Did he just say **** and smile?”

The Snyder effect was real and in the background for our coaches and players. I even wonder if some of our players play better this year because they don’t have that cloud hanging over them. 

Curtis Samuel seemed pretty excited in his interview. Granted, he was talking about EB so that could be why… but there just seems to be a different feeling around this team right now.

Going to be interesting to see how guys like Chase Young play this year.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1

Watch the defensive line

The Commanders’ typical starters on the defensive line — Montez Sweat, Chase Young, Daron Payne and Jonathan Allen — sat out, as did defensive tackle Phidarian Mathis, who is dealing with a calf injury.

Young played just four snaps in the preseason because of a stinger he suffered in the opener at Cleveland. Young has started to work his way back into practice, and Rivera said he would have his final exam Friday. When asked Saturday whether Young had been fully cleared, Rivera declined to give an update, saying he wanted to keep the focus on the game.

The prospect of having the front line (mostly) healthy will be significant for Washington: Young missed 22 games with his knee injury and played on a limited basis late last season.

“When we play our game, we really feel we can dominate this league,” Allen, who is dealing with plantar fasciitis, said on the game broadcast on WRC (Ch. 4). “When you play with great players like that, it makes it a lot easier because somebody is going to be getting a one-on-one [matchup].”

Which veterans will be behind them remains uncertain. During Young’s absence, James Smith-Williams was the primary starter, though he sometimes rotated with Casey Toohill.

But for much of camp and preseason this year, Smith-Williams was the fifth or sixth end and played multiple snaps at tackle. On Saturday, Efe Obada started at end alongside Toohill, who had three quarterback hits. Smith-Williams was a backup along with seventh-round pick Andre Jones Jr., who has started to come on as a pass rusher.

Will Smith-Williams make it? It could depend on the health of others on the roster.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2023/08/26/commanders-bengals-preseason-takeaways/

21 minutes ago, KDawg said:

On another note: while I am down on the way Rivera speaks to the media at times and as a strategist GM (not as a talent evaluator as I feel we have added mostly decent to good players), I have been overall very happy with Rivera.

But I wonder if his… media personality… changes if this team gets some positive buzz and hype. It could. I listened on post game live when he said, “****, they were doing the wave.” thing…

I sat up and said, to myself, “Did he just say **** and smile?”

The Snyder effect was real and in the background for our coaches and players. I even wonder if some of our players play better this year because they don’t have that cloud hanging over them. 

Curtis Samuel seemed pretty excited in his interview. Granted, he was talking about EB so that could be why… but there just seems to be a different feeling around this team right now.

Going to be interesting to see how guys like Chase Young play this year.

I saw it up close for the practice I attended.  the fans are back and the buzz is real.

I don't think Ron had any idea the hatred fans had for Dan and that being the prime reason for the fan malaise -- considering Ron's fawning comments about Dan in the weeks before he departed.   Dan i noticed had no friends as he was leaving except for Ron and Big Al.   But i gather he gets it now.  I gather before he believed the Dan rap that the fans issues weren't with him but just the losing.

I never cared about Ron's misstatements to the media. My only dislike on that front, is the dude flip flops on personnel issues when he talks to the media where he contradicts himself sometimes week to week.  Galdi made a whole segment on it in his podcast.  And I don't even mind that aside from wondering how much conviction he has or how much attention is he devoting considering things can change so drastically with him so often at least as to what he says.

I think there is a chance that the fan excitement and the lifting of the weight of Dan being gone could propel the team to overachieve some.

I suspect it will start off that way.  I love their early schedule matchups, the first 6 games sans the Philly-Buffalo game.  I think they have sort of an opposite Rivera type of season where he has a fast start.  Granted he's finshed poorly in the last two seasons.  I expect that again.  I think the middle of the season is up and down.  8-9.   But an initial honeymoon.

I don't like how this team matches up with the division.  And it feels like the Giants who IMO had a better off season than we did has legitimately passed us.

But I do think the X factor of the fans and Dan being gone might carry them further -- it should be interesting and fun to see.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Forehead said:

ITS TOO DANGEROUS

As if playing WR is not dangerous.

Kaz'z drops didn't help resolve the PR slot quandary.

Honestly,  I think both Tinsley and Tremayne did more than either Milne or Allen. IMO, Milne is a JAG and would be holding a spot away from potential bases on mediocre special teams play.

I like Allen, but he's really raw. Perhaps stashing him on the practice squad for development might be the best play. I was impressed with Tremayne and wondered if he could make the adjustment to TE. He has the size that would make him a tough assignment. Regardless,  he was productive. 

HTTR!

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Both things can be true at the same time.  Keim in particular highlighted how well he looked in camp, Del Rio, too.

Eh, maybe.  I’m not entirely sure. I trust Keim as much as anybody but he’s not always right.  Coaches typically have some ulterior motive.  

2 others things could also be true:

1. he’s learned what our offense does and can recognize it better than he can when he doesn’t know what the opponent is doing, therefor is lost in games but looks ok in camp.

2. The second/third team he’s going up against in practice isn’t that outstanding.  

But, in the end, it’s how you play in games which matters.  And he hasn’t looked good so far. 

30 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Eh, maybe.  I’m not entirely sure. I trust Keim as much as anybody but he’s not always right.  Coaches typically have some ulterior motive.  

2 others things could also be true:

1. he’s learned what our offense does and can recognize it better than he can when he doesn’t know what the opponent is doing, therefor is lost in games but looks ok in camp.

2. The second/third team he’s going up against in practice isn’t that outstanding.  

But, in the end, it’s how you play in games which matters.  And he hasn’t looked good so far. 

Agree that the games are a better indicator