Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome New Owner Josh Harris

Dan T.

Just now, NickyJ said:

Great. Let's do it. Fire Rivera right now. Who do you replace him with? Which coach on this team is going to change the direction it's been going since 6 months before Josh bought the team?

No one. It’s a lost season. It was a waste of a season when Josh bought the team so late. Everyone and their mother knew it was going to just be outright evaluations. I think there’s only one evaluation left and that’s if EB can handle the HC spot. Give him as much rope as possible. 

1 minute ago, Stihl89 said:

No one. It’s a lost season. It was a waste of a season when Josh bought the team so late. Everyone and their mother knew it was going to just be outright evaluations. I think there’s only one evaluation left and that’s if EB can handle the HC spot. Give him as much rope as possible. 

So no one can fix it, but let's see if EB can handle it? What is your definition of "handling" an unfixable season?

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Stihl89 said:

That doesn't make sense.  How can you evaluate other people when you've now blown it up? Everyone would be in contingency mode, meaning they wouldn't be doing what they've normally done, so your data are misrepresentative.

I know what you're saying, but that's not the way to get it.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, NickyJ said:

So no one can fix it, but let's see if EB can handle it? What is your definition of "handling" an unfixable season?

It seems like there’s a major disconnect here about what the point of firing Ron is supposed to be. 

7 minutes ago, NewCliche21 said:

That doesn't make sense.  How can you evaluate other people when you've now blown it up? Everyone would be in contingency mode, meaning they wouldn't be doing what they've normally done, so your data are misrepresentative.

I know what you're saying, but that's not the way to get it.

I mean it’s the only way to see if he shows any capability in it. 

2 minutes ago, Stihl89 said:

It seems like there’s a major disconnect here about what the point of firing Ron is supposed to be. 

I mean it’s the only way to see if he shows any capability in it. 

So, what is the point of firing Ron?

And every single other person on the team is now thrust into a new/stretched role as soon as you do that, so nobody is judged based on what they were hired to do. From the acting head coach to the water boys.

And as Keim said, interim head coaches, other than Garrett now that I'm thinking about it, don't become the next head coach.

18 minutes ago, NewCliche21 said:

So, what is the point of firing Ron?

And every single other person on the team is now thrust into a new/stretched role as soon as you do that, so nobody is judged based on what they were hired to do. From the acting head coach to the water boys.

And as Keim said, interim head coaches, other than Garrett now that I'm thinking about it, don't become the next head coach.

You’re allowed to bring in a head of football ops asap. Ron will not willingly trade anyone this season. We will miss out on possible draft assets for literally no other reason than to allow a man to retire ceremoniously who for his time here was mediocre at best. Plus a higher likelihood of hurtful wins for the future staff. A 6th pick is significantly better than a 14th pick. 

1 hour ago, NickyJ said:

Great. Let's do it. Fire Rivera right now. Who do you replace him with? Which coach on this team is going to change the direction it's been going since 6 months before Josh bought the team?

In fairness, it’s been going in this direction for January 2000.

Fire Ron.  Team does about the same. Attendance will be about the same with or without Ron. 

People aren’t going to spend money to see an interim EB or Jack.  

If there was a thought firing Ron would make the team appreciably immediately better, ok, do it.  

But Jack runs the defense, EB runs the offense and Ron stands there with his thumb up his butt.  I’m not sure flipping him out actually changes anything. Except EB would do more pressers and refer to himself in the third person more often.  

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Stihl89 said:

If Josh wants to wait on the fans not showing up Wait until November 19th when it’s raining and 43 degrees watching when the 3-7 host the 2-8 giants and 23k fans are there booing at halftime a 9-6 lead. See how fast Josh starts firing people

Man...I've lost count of how many seasons we've suffered this scenario during the last two decades.  

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, NickyJ said:

Yeah, I don't see anything changing by firing Ron. The defense will still be crippled until Jack finds a solution. Firing Ron is unlikely to be what suddenly fixes it.

I think there’s more chance they win >6 games with Ron than they do with out. They also have a greater chance of winning <5 with out him. 

I personally think the bottom falls out if Ron is fired. These players are all Ron’s guys. Once Ron’s gone what’s holding them together. I think the lower they fall this year they better the future is set up. 

46 minutes ago, Conn said:

Still absurd to think about. Obviously all of these guys grew a ton after leaving here. But the winds of fate do blow strangely. 

I keep telling my son that all these coaches of good teams were on our team at the same time.

He keeps asking why they're not on our team.

I keep having no answer :(

3 hours ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Once the weather gets nice, I spend most of my free time playing golf, doing yard work, etc and a lot less time posting and following football.  It’s not like I was watching tape on Wylie and Barton.  

Certainly feels like this offseason will go down in the history books as one of the worst.  Imagine being a head coach that’s actually the ‘football czar’ in a must-win season with new bosses and this is who you choose to go to war with.  Mind boggling.

Felt like an arrogant out of touch boring off season.  He has a new boss.  He has a revitlaized fan base.   Yet, he had an uninspiring, "meh", off season.

Feels llke you have a rare opportunity to meet some calender models -- and you handle the opportunity by putting on 10 pounds before it happens, and you don't shave and look dishelved and just let it fly.

Or it's like when your have a new boss who you should feel on notice but yet you show up 15 minutes late the next day and throughout your first week.

I get why @Koolblue13 liked to say Ron comes off like he checked out.

Heck the dude multiple times this off season referenced what would happen if he's fired.  Clearly its on his mind.

I can't wait until he'a gone.  It's like buying a new house but loading it up with old furniture.  Time for new furniture that matches the new house.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 4

3 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Felt like an arrogant out of touch boring off season.  He has a new boss.  He has a revitlaized fan base.   Yet, he had an uninspiring, "meh", off season.

Feels llke you have a rare opportunity to meet some calender models -- and you handle the opportunity by putting on 10 pounds before it happens, and you don't shave and look dishelved and just let it fly.

Or it's like when your have a new boss who you should feel on notice but yet you show up 15 minutes late the next day and throughout your first week.

I get why @Koolblue13 liked to say Ron comes off like he checked out.

Heck the dude multiple times this off season referenced what would happen if he's fired.  Clearly its on his mind.

I can't wait until he'a gone.  It's like buying a new house but loading it up with old furniture.  Time for new furniture that matches the new house.

Do think he had his hands tied with signing people. Honestly shocked that he got the Payne deal done. 

The draft on the other hand makes less and less sense every week.

2 hours ago, Stihl89 said:

You’re allowed to bring in a head of football ops asap. Ron will not willingly trade anyone this season. We will miss out on possible draft assets for literally no other reason than to allow a man to retire ceremoniously who for his time here was mediocre at best. Plus a higher likelihood of hurtful wins for the future staff. A 6th pick is significantly better than a 14th pick. 

The is no one that currently does not have a job I would want as Head of Football ops. Hands are tied till the end of the season. 

2 hours ago, NewCliche21 said:

I keep telling my son that all these coaches of good teams were on our team at the same time.

He keeps asking why they're not on our team.

I keep having no answer :(

Because Dan Snyder and Bruce Allen were dumb ****ing assholes. Might want to clean up the language for your son though.

3 hours ago, Conn said:

Still absurd to think about. Obviously all of these guys grew a ton after leaving here. But the winds of fate do blow strangely. 

It’s crazy how that three keeps on giving. If Ben Johnson doesn’t come here, I would go after Slowik and Petzig. Both guys have really impressed me this season. Slowik for building a high flying offense with a rookie QB and average talent around him & Petzig for making Josh Dobbs look like a very competent QB and getting that O to out up a surprising number of points. Little known fact about Slowik is he spent a few years working for PFF in between his coaching stints

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

This guy? Seems like a big jump to go from LB coach in the CFL to the NFL head coach...

Screenshot_20231009_225406_Chrome.jpg

(yes I am aware you mean the Texans OC, who has been impressive...but who knew there were two Bob Slowiks?)

(Oh. It's his son...duh...I'm an idiot)

Better hope his dad wouldn't take a job here in a meaningful way. He was a terrible position coach and DC, which is why he is in the CFL.

On another note, you could pair Slowik with Adam Peters. The two spent years together on the 49ers and there is probably a working relationship between the two

Edited by method man
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

SIP and some of the other "soccer" fans would know this but in the Premier League we have what is called a new manager bounce. Almost every time a manager/coach is fired the team improves out of all recognition. I don't know if that happens in the NFL but, thinking about it, I would rather not change anything and pick top 3 to 5 in the draft than fire Ron and finish mid table.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, method man said:

Better hope his dad wouldn't take a job here in a meaningful way. He was a terrible position coach and DC, which is why he is in the CFL.

On another note, you could pair Slowik with Adam Peters. The two spent years together on the 49ers and there is probably a working relationship between the two

simpsons-newsletter.gif

• Haha 2

39 minutes ago, UK Skins said:

SIP and some of the other "soccer" fans would know this but in the Premier League we have what is called a new manager bounce. Almost every time a manager/coach is fired the team improves out of all recognition. I don't know if that happens in the NFL but, thinking about it, I would rather not change anything and pick top 3 to 5 in the draft than fire Ron and finish mid table.

Its a good point.

And especially if its a Ben Johnson that they target, I like the chances better to get him if they don't fire Rivera now.  Rivera has his faults but he's a good guy and liked around the league.  Ben Johnson from what I've read is similar personaity wise -- super nice guy and gives the vibe that he wants to work for a really likeable owner.

Even though we'd like Harris for canning Rivera now -- it would not be well received for him to fire Rivera this early into the season.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, RVAskins said:

Maybe if Lynnell was the one who paid over 6 billion for the team, he be a little concerned with ticket sales too. This also sounds like an out of context report so it's pretty much a nothing burger.

Lynne's drill on the radio is to be upset about everything.

What does he expect Harris to do?  Micromanage Ron and turn the season around?

Him worrying abiout ticket sales to me is just another way to say declining fan enthusiasm.  Heck I don't make a penny off of ticket sales and I was worried about the same subject this summer.  I want the old Washington fans back -- one of the most enthusiastic fan bases in the country, real home field advantage, etc.  The momentum was real.  But can Ron sustain it -- I doubted it. 

We got as I've said all summer the oddest coach on the topic of fan enthusiasm.  I can't think of a coach who whined more about getting the fans back for years yet I can't also think of a coach who has given nothing to do anything about it and also clearly has no clue why the fans stopped coming.  He might get it now after camp when he saw that it was Dan driven.  But he clearly didn't get that before hand considering his pro Dan comments this off season.

• Like 3