Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Game Day Thread 2023: SUPER BOWL LVIII (58) ~ Chiefs vs. 49ers

zCommander

Theme of this playoffs is missed opportunity.

Already said why this year may have been Lions best opportunity to go.

Same with Ravens. Given how competitive their own division could be and how stack the afc is, this was their best chance.

Dallas at least could’ve made it to the championship game and have a shot to go to the SuperBowl but they may not get chance again; especially once Ben and Adam get our team at championship level.

I looked at my preseason predictions and I got the SuperBowl matchup right.  Then I predicted Chiefs over 49ers and I’m sticking with that.

Edited by 88Comrade2000
  • Thumb up 1

1 hour ago, CRobi21 said:

Wonder if kickers could develop a flop shot style onside kick.. Hit the very bottom of the ball and pop that sucker high in the air.

Feels like a new style kick needs to be discovered

this is what I’ve always thought. They have everybody up on the line, kick a moon shot up in the air like 10 yards behind the line of defenders and have a jump ball for it 

6 minutes ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

this is what I’ve always thought. They have everybody up on the line, kick a moon shot up in the air like 10 yards behind the line of defenders and have a jump ball for it 

I THINK the ball has to hit the ground first or the receiving team can call for a fair catch.  

I could be wrong about that. But I think all onside kicks are kicked down and bounce up.

12 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

I THINK the ball has to hit the ground first or the receiving team can call for a fair catch.  

I could be wrong about that. But I think all onside kicks are kicked down and bounce up.

I always thorough to could recover any kickoff that the return team doesn’t catch or pick up but that makes more sense than the entire league being too dumb to figure out what I have realized for years. 

still I’d try to pop it to the space between the line and the single return man and hope one of my guys can out race them and get thru. Seems like better odds 

Preferably I’d have a a different play altogether to replace onside kicks because it would be more entertaining and also I hate kickers and hate that they have such an unbalanced impact on the outcome of game based on their role on the team

——- 

Edited by Momma There Goes That Man
  • Haha 3

As good as Baltimore was this year, does a guy like Lamar Jackson ever have a chance of getting to and winning a SB? I'm just not seeing it.

They are the first team ever to have the No1 defense and an MVP QB to not win the SB the same year.

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

2 hours ago, SkinsFTW said:

As good as Baltimore was this year, does a guy like Lamar Jackson ever have a chance of getting to and winning a SB? I'm just not seeing it.

They are the first team ever to have the No1 defense and an MVP QB to not win the SB the same year.

How many times has there been a number 1 Defense and an MVP QB?

2 hours ago, Ball Security said:

How many times has there been a number 1 Defense and an MVP QB?

3-4 times from what I remember. Favre once, Bradshaw once, and a couple others. 

I mean, even Favre did it. It was his 1 single SB win and he also had the No1 Defense that year. He usually threw picks to get the Packers kicked out of the playoffs. Also that year he faced Drew Bledsoe, not a HOF QB like Elway, but he did the next year and lost. 

Maybe Lamar had to have all that help plus also face guys like Herbert and Lawrence in the playoffs instead of Mahomes.

• Thumb up 1

19 hours ago, SkinsFTW said:

Seems like Lamar is suffering from Romoitis.

• Thumb up 1

On 1/29/2024 at 4:44 AM, Leonard Washington said:

Chiefs would have been too much for the Lions.  I think the 49ers can give them a fight and win.

Chiefs just lost one of their starting DE. 49ers can beat them only if they play better defense and pressure Mahomes like the Giants did to Brady twice. To the Niners, don't expect the Chiefs to make the critical bad choices Campbell made.

The Chiefs are the new Patriots, the team everyone loves to hate

Edited by FrFan

On 1/28/2024 at 6:09 PM, ExoDus84 said:

Hell man. Where was this Chiefs team all year? They were playing like JAGs, and then the playoffs start and they turn into world beaters.

They benched Toney and Skyy Moore. All year they were trying to force them into the rotation and it resulted in picks, drops and failed drives.  Rice is also a mauler and he came on strong in the later part of the year. If the Chiefs get a genuine number 1 receiver next year they'll be a tough out.

• zCommander changed the title to Game Day Thread 2023: SUPER BOWL LVIII (58) ~ Chiefs vs. 49ers
23 hours ago, seamonster said:

They benched Toney and Skyy Moore. All year they were trying to force them into the rotation and it resulted in picks, drops and failed drives.  Rice is also a mauler and he came on strong in the later part of the year. If the Chiefs get a genuine number 1 receiver next year they'll be a tough out.

1. Their defense has been this good all year.

2. A few things were wrong with their offense. The biggest is that Kelce came into the season hurt and may actually finally be healthy. He looked washed in October, and now I think he has four years left. And like you said, they cleared the deadwood from the receiving room. Rice is a baller if nothing else. Toney is insanely talented but an absolute head case, and I think Mahomes despises him at this point.

3. I can't overemphasize how good Pacheco is. If this was 1999, he would have 1,700 yards and 22 TDs.