Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Former congressman George Santos arrest watch. Federal prosecutors have filed criminal charges against New York Rep. George Santos. (Charged with money laundering, wire fraud, unemployment fraud, lying to the House)

Cooked Crack

George Santos' communications director resigns, saying she's "honored" to quit

GOP Rep. George Santos' communications director Naysa Woomer has resigned, writing in a resignation email obtained by Scripps News that she's "honored" to quit and that the congressman "never took one point of professional advice." 

Her resignation comes not long after Santos was arrested and charged with fraud, money laundering and other crimes. He survived an attempt from House Democrats to expel him from Congress this week. 

"With respect for my colleagues, the people of New York, and most importantly, myself, I am honored to tender my resignation," Woomer said in her resignation email, the content of which was confirmed by CBS News. 

"Unfortunately, you never took one point of professional advice given," Woomer continued.

Woomer has been with Santos' office since he joined the House in January. Other Santos staffers will now have to handle additional communications responsibilities for the congressman as reporters follow him nearly everywhere he goes. 

House Republicans on Wednesday blocked a Democratic resolution that would expel Santos from Congress, instead voting to refer the matter to the House Ethics Committee, which opened a probe into Santos in March.

Click on the link for the full article

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

George Santos names himself treasurer of his campaign committee

Rep. George Santos has named himself the treasurer of his campaign committee, marking the latest twist in a monthslong saga over puzzling filings his campaign has made with federal regulators.

The new filing, made late Friday afternoon with the Federal Election Commission, comes a little more than a week after federal prosecutors unveiled a 13-count criminal indictment, charging the New York Republican with wire fraud, fraudulently obtaining Covid-19 unemployment benefits and lying about his personal finances on forms he submitted to the US House of Representatives as a candidate. He has denied wrongdoing and pleaded not guilty to the charges.

Santos defended the move Saturday, saying it was to “ensure compliance.”

“My intent is to operate above reproach,” the freshman lawmakers said on Twitter. “We will continue to build our campaign around professionals with subject matter expertise.”

He added that FEC records will be updated to reflect the change.

Questions long have swirled about the identity of Santos’ campaign treasurer. This year, Santos’ campaign named a new treasurer identified as Andrew Olson, but federal and state records did not show anyone with that name serving as the treasurer of any other federal committees or any political committees operating in New York state.

• Haha 2

A judge reportedly held a secret hearing with the 3 anonymous people sponsoring George Santos's $500,000 bail

A judge overseeing the federal criminal case against Rep. George Santos of New York held a secret hearing with the three people on the hook for his $500,000 bond and went to extraordinary lengths to keep their identities secret, according to a new court filing.

Santos was arraigned in federal court on Long Island on May 10, pleading not guilty to a 13-count criminal indictment where federal prosecutors alleged he stole funds from political donors meant for campaign expenses, illegally took pandemic unemployment payouts, and lied to Congress on financial forms.

US Magistrate Judge Anne Shields allowed Santos to be released on a $500,000 bond that would be cosigned by three different suretors who would guarantee the bail funds.

The names of those bail sponsors weren't disclosed at the arraignment hearing. And the bond documents haven't appeared on the public court docket in the two weeks since — a departure from normal practice in criminal cases.

Judge: George Santos donors who bailed him out of jail must be revealed

Indicted Rep. George Santos (R-NY) has lost his bid to block the public from knowing the identities of the donors who bailed him out.

As reported by Adam Klasfeld of Law and Crime News, Magistrate Judge Anne Y. Shields granted a motion to unseal the names of the Santos donors who paid for his bond after he was indicted on campaign finance-related violations earlier this year.

Santos had previously said that he would rather go to jail than reveal the identities of his benefactors, and that declaration will now certainly be put to the test.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1

37 minutes ago, LadySkinsFan said:

The House needs to throw him out so our tax dollars don't support his ass for the rest of his life. 

Our tax dollars won't support him for life. Members of Congress have to serve a minimum of 5 years to even be eligible for a pension. Even if Santos isn't kicked out of the House, he's done. No chance he gets reelected. NY residents hate him now. Though technically our tax dollars still might support him, as our taxes do go into the prison system as well.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, mistertim said:

Though technically our tax dollars still might support him, as our taxes do go into the prison system as well.

Shame we can't execute him for non-violent crimes, that'd solve that problem...

I'm sure he could get the votes for public stoning in his district right now...

2 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

Shame we can't execute him for non-violent crimes, that'd solve that problem...

I'm sure he could get the votes for public stoning in his district right now...

I've long called for the death penalty to cover some non-violent crimes.  I'm glad to see you on my side.

Edited by TheGreatBuzz
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I read the appeal argument put forward and it actually was rational.  First the lawyers basically said the ruling to unseal was legally correct.  Then they argued that the judge didn't consider the public heat in this case.  

CNN is alleged to report family members put up the guarantee... but who knows. 

25 minutes ago, LadySkinsFan said:

If Santos wanted to avoid "public heat" he shouldn't have been a constant liar and perpetrated criminal acts. And maybe not run for Congress. 

If you can't stand the heat....

• Like 2