Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2024 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

2 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

I recall Cunningham bringing the Eagles back from 20 down to beat us 42-37, 1989. Could hardly hear the reception on armed forces radio and believe the final score. Had to then wait days to depressingly watch the highlights as ‘game of the week’.

Randall was the QB of the Vikings team that broke our 1983 Redskins single season scoring record. Brian Billick made a passer out of him and it didn't hurt that he had two HOF WR's including rookie Randy Moss. That's one of the greatest teams to never make the Super Bowl. If Daniels is Randall Cunningham then sign me up, he was a weekly highlight machine. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ThatNFLChick said:

He's not as sturdy as Lamar. Herm Edwards compared him more to Randall Cunningham which seems apt. 

Not a fan of that comp either. Randall was elusive and made guys miss in the pocket and rarely took huge hits.

Dare I say the best comp for Jayden Daniels is RG3?!  Big arm, track speed, takes huge hits to the face... Yep, I think Rg3 is the best comp for JD.

5 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

Lots of talk today about leadership, makes me wonder if that's gonna be a huge trait they look for in a QB with the new regime? For example, if all things are close, do they go with the best leader out of the big 3 or even the next tier of Nix, Penix, McCarthy? The next QB is gonna have to show that he can be a great leader for sure right?

I believe they’re prioritizing leadership over an X’s and O’s because a HC can delegate.  While leadership is a definite plus at qb, I’d assume it’s probably down the list of the top boxes to check for the position… 

2 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

I believe they’re prioritizing leadership over an X’s and O’s because a HC can delegate.  While leadership is a definite plus at qb, I’d assume it’s probably down the list of the top boxes to check for the position… 

Leadership is not one of those things to overlook and be blasé about. Leadership at the quarterback is essential in today's game.  Who wants a head case at QB? Who wants to deal with a QB who can't get along with his more mature tram mates or a QB who is constantly in trouble with the law/team? I don't care what your stats are, you cannot win championships with an immature QB.  If so, name one that's won a SB....

15 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Fauga at 10 wow

I think he's much more of a lock to be OL #3 than Latham is.  Frankly, I could see him going above Alt if others see the same concerns that GC has spoken of.  I could also see Guyton potentially being OL #1 as well.  I don't think there is any way he slips to the 2nd.  Too many teams need OL help.

I can't see him slipping past the Saints as they need a new RT to replace Ramczyk who might be forced to retire.

Just now, mhd24 said:

I think he's much more of a lock to be OL #3 than Latham is.  Frankly, I could see him going above Alt if others see the same concerns that GC has spoken of.  I could also see Guyton potentially being OL #1 as well.  I don't think there is any way he slips to the 2nd.  Too many teams need OL help.

I can't see him slipping past the Saints as they need a new RT to replace Ramczyk who might be forced to retire.

Love Fauga so I don't need to be convinced.  I liked it better was he was a last first rounder in mocks, he felt more in reach.

• Like 1

Here's my hope ... we trade Jonathan Allen for a 2nd. With a trio of 2's we have the ability to trade back with one of them.

I hope: Fuaga or Barton fall into one of our picks and I hope Guyton or Morgan fall to one of our picks.

A perfect world would be to go Guyton + Fuaga or Barton in the 2nd. If we can get a 2nd for Allen, then I hope we use one of those 2nds to trade back for a later 2nd and a 3rd. 

If we could go 1st, early 2nd, early 2nd, late 2nd, early 3rd, late 3rd, late 3rd, 4th ... that's massive capital to make some serious additions.

I want to create more draft capital. Trading Allen to get another 2nd to allow us to trade back another 2nd for a 2+3 later would be nice.

1/2/2/2/3/3/3/4 would be pretty nice. I HAVE to think that someone is going to want one of our 2nds in that scenario and be willing to part with a 2+3 like Dallas did with us several years back.

Create draft capital baby! But not by trading out of #2 haha

Something like:

2: Drake Maye, QB UNC

36: Tyler Guyton, OT Oklahoma

42: Graham Barton, LG Duke

60: 

66:

90:

96:

104: 

136: 

With 60/66/90/96/104 you could go WR, TE, LB, DE, DT, CB, RB  in any combination as BPA.

Edited by JamesMadisonSkins
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Here's my hope ... we trade Jonathan Allen for a 2nd. With a trio of 2's we have the ability to trade back with one of them.

I hope: Fuaga or Barton fall into one of our picks and I hope Guyton or Morgan fall to one of our picks.

A perfect world would be to go Guyton + Fuaga or Barton in the 2nd. If we can get a 2nd for Allen, then I hope we use one of those 2nds to trade back for a later 2nd and a 3rd. 

If we could go 1st, early 2nd, early 2nd, late 2nd, early 3rd, late 3rd, late 3rd, 4th ... that's massive capital to make some serious additions.

I want to create more draft capital. Trading Allen to get another 2nd to allow us to trade back another 2nd for a 2+3 later would be nice.

1/2/2/2/3/3/3/4 would be pretty nice. I HAVE to think that someone is going to want one of our 2nds in that scenario and be willing to part with a 2+3 like Dallas did with us several years back.

Create draft capital baby! But not by trading out of #2 haha

Something like:

2: Drake Maye, QB UNC

36: Tyler Guyton, OT Oklahoma

42: Graham Barton, LG Duke

60: 

66:

90:

96:

104: 

136: 

With 60/66/90/96/104 you could go WR, TE, LB, DE, DT, CB, RB  in any combination as BPA.

I could see us trading back with one of our seconds even if we don’t do the Allen trade. I actually expect it unless the team decides someone very enticing is there 

57 minutes ago, illone said:

Not a fan of that comp either. Randall was elusive and made guys miss in the pocket and rarely took huge hits.

Dare I say the best comp for Jayden Daniels is RG3?!  Big arm, track speed, takes huge hits to the face... Yep, I think Rg3 is the best comp for JD.

Herm Edwards is VERY close to both guys so the comp was probably more than just on the field frankly. But he played his last year with Cunningham, they're both Eagles alumd and originally recruited Daniels at ASU because he said he reminded him of Randall. 

Also they are the same height and Randall was 198 pounds out of college so similar body type 

Edited by ThatNFLChick

1 minute ago, mh86 said:

I could see us trading back with one of our seconds even if we don’t do the Allen trade. I actually expect it unless the team decides someone very enticing is there 

Probably depends on who is there. I have to expect #36 goes to OL and then you trade #40. But I guess it depends on what sort of haul you could get for #36 and if there are enough highly regarded OL remaining to have confidence one will be there in 4 more picks. This FO probably has confidence that they can land quality talent in the middle rounds, so I could absolutely see them turn a 2 into a later 2 and 3. Then turn one of the 3s into a later 3 and 4, and so on ... to create as many picks between R3-6 as possible .

• Thumb up 1

2 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Probably depends on who is there. I have to expect #36 goes to OL and then you trade #40. But I guess it depends on what sort of haul you could get for #36 and if there are enough highly regarded OL remaining to have confidence one will be there in 4 more picks. This FO probably has confidence that they can land quality talent in the middle rounds, so I could absolutely see them turn a 2 into a later 2 and 3. Then turn one of the 3s into a later 3 and 4, and so on ... to create as many picks between R3-6 as possible .

Yeah, I was thinking almost exactly that. I don’t know if I’d trade back again since we’d be pretty well stocked at that point, but I would consider all offers 

28 minutes ago, klwilkins1977 said:

Leadership is not one of those things to overlook and be blasé about. Leadership at the quarterback is essential in today's game.  Who wants a head case at QB? Who wants to deal with a QB who can't get along with his more mature tram mates or a QB who is constantly in trouble with the law/team? I don't care what your stats are, you cannot win championships with an immature QB.  If so, name one that's won a SB....

Sounds like you’re equating leadership to personality/maturity?  Maybe I could have worded it better, because I wasn’t trying to be blasé about it.  My point was that I think most FO’s would rate things like throwing ability, processing speed, reading defenses, work ethic and others (maybe even being a decent person/maturity) over leadership.  

48 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

I recall Cunningham bringing the Eagles back from 20 down to beat us 42-37, 1989. Could hardly hear the reception on armed forces radio and believe the final score. Had to then wait days to depressingly watch the highlights as ‘game of the week’.

Still remember, rally two different distinct memories which makes the 1990-1991 playoff win all the weirder. First memory is of the '87 super bowl season after halloween at a friends house. Cunningham to Garrity, 41 yards with about 1:05 left on the clock to win 31-27. That was bad enough. 

But 1989 was like two weeks after I started my freshman year, we're winning 21-0 in the first quarter, just bombs away killing them, and we give most of it up in the 2nd half. But still, there's like 2 minutes and change left, we have the ball, and we're still winning 37-28. They score, but we're okay, still up, have the ball, 1 minute and change left, inside the Eagles 30, and then Riggs fumbles. And we lose. We were up 20-0, and starting the second half up 30-14, and even up 37-28 with like 4 minutes left, and 37-35 with like 65 seconds left and the ball, and we lost. That year we missed the playoffs on a 10-6 tiebreaker. We win that game, we would have been in. It was so horrible, its hard to express. Of course the next 30 years began shortly after, and 10-6 is a mere dream now, but good lord, at that point we seemed cursed against the Eagles with Cunningham taking snaps. 

29 minutes ago, ThatNFLChick said:

Herm Edwards is VERY close to both guys so the comp was probably more than just on the field frankly. But he played his last year with Cunningham, they're both Eagles alumd and originally recruited Daniels at ASU because he said he reminded him of Randall. 

Also they are the same height and Randall was 198 pounds out of college so similar body type 

That's a fair way to comp em out, I'll allow it lol.  

I have JD ranked much higher than Maye so I think he is the logical pick at #2 unless trading down becomes an option and Peters has one of the 2nd or 3rd tier players ranked higher than everyone else and we can move down and steal a Penix, Nix, JJ or some other dark horse pick that nobody sees coming.

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Fauga at 10 wow

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Love Fauga so I don't need to be convinced.  I liked it better was he was a last first rounder in mocks, he felt more in reach.

very disappointing that Fuaga's getting recognition like this. I agree it was so much nicer when he was listed around 20 making him reachable if we traded back into the mid 1st round.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, The Consigliere said:

Still remember, rally two different distinct memories which makes the 1990-1991 playoff win all the weirder. First memory is of the '87 super bowl season after halloween at a friends house. Cunningham to Garrity, 41 yards with about 1:05 left on the clock to win 31-27. That was bad enough. 

But 1989 was like two weeks after I started my freshman year, we're winning 21-0 in the first quarter, just bombs away killing them, and we give most of it up in the 2nd half. But still, there's like 2 minutes and change left, we have the ball, and we're still winning 37-28. They score, but we're okay, still up, have the ball, 1 minute and change left, inside the Eagles 30, and then Riggs fumbles. And we lose. We were up 20-0, and starting the second half up 30-14, and even up 37-28 with like 4 minutes left, and 37-35 with like 65 seconds left and the ball, and we lost. That year we missed the playoffs on a 10-6 tiebreaker. We win that game, we would have been in. It was so horrible, its hard to express. Of course the next 30 years began shortly after, and 10-6 is a mere dream now, but good lord, at that point we seemed cursed against the Eagles with Cunningham taking snaps. 

Who could ever forget that game. I was playing fall league softball that ended at a little after 1.I got in the car and heard them go up 21-0,, at a time when I was my most rabid.  I got home and watched it all fall apart.  Riggs had like 250 yards in that game or something crazy but fumbled away the win after a long run.  

As for tackles later in the draft was watching some Patrick Paul.  Both he and Saumataia strike me raw.  Though I think I'd go Paul over Saumatia.  Paul's frame-wingspan is massive and I like that he has a martial arts background -- he sort of reminds me of Lucas, long and lanky but strong and their game feeds off of their length.  But like Lucas, he's not the best on the move, clunky in the run game, plays tall at time and doesn't sink his hips.  As a project, I don't mind Paul but I got doubts he can step in and play right away.

I like Jordan Mogan don't love him.  Solid. And he can run block. Handled Latu fairly well in the game I watched.  But he looks short armed so wonder if he's really a guard.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

8 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

As for tackles later in the draft was watching some Patrick Paul.  Both he and Saumataia strike me raw.  Though I think I'd go Paul over Saumatia.  Paul's frame-wingspan is massive and I like that he has a martial arts background -- he sort of reminds me of Lucas, long and lanky but strong and their game feeds off of their length.  But like Lucas, he's not the best on the move, clunky in the run game, plays tall at time and doesn't sink his hips.  As a project, I don't mind Paul but I got doubts he can step in and play right away.

I like Jordan Mogan don't love him.  Solid. And he can run block. Handled Latu fairly well in the game I watched.  But he looks short armed so wonder if he's really a guard.

After out experience with Chris Paul, I can't see us going after his younger brother.  Your descriptions sounds like Chris Paul in terms of his clunkiness.  If he were there at our 3rd round pick?  Sure, I'd take a gamble.  However, I'm not spending either of our 2s on him.

2 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Fauga at 10 wow

Fuaga will keep rising up the boards. He is similar to Darnell Wright in a way. I would argue a handful of teams would prefer him to Fashanu. Fashanu has a very high ceiling but his run blocking is pretty average at this point.