Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2024 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

10 hours ago, Always A Commander Never A Captain said:

IF that happens, there would have to be an immediate investigation into collusion between our team and the Williams family. How else, otherwise, would anyone explain Williams forcing his hand into the Supplemental Draft, and then us not fixing QB in FA or the draft either? It would only look like both parties knew.

I'm not sure that there's an actual rule against this sort of behavior, though.... It's not the same as tampering with a team's players since CW is not part of any team yet and also I'm pretty sure draft picks and their families speak all the time with a variety of different teams that might pick them...

1 hour ago, Idaho fan said:

Oh.  Well saw on FB

You should stop getting news from Facebook, forever.

And delete your post or people are going to keep quoting it and correcting you

• Thanks 2
  • Thumb up 2

Good-googly-moogly, even for a hypothetical talking point this supplemental draft stuff involving Williams is so far beyond tin foil hat territory its not even funny.

tin-foil-index.jpg.297130f4f67ba9e29d7aa7097b99d76b.jpg

I'm pretty sure the shark was cleared about 400ft back or so.

Edited by FootballZombie

6 hours ago, OtisDriftwood25 said:

I agree. There are red flags but I don’t worry until the draft meetings and sit downs to hear reports. Cam Newton had concerns going into the draft about maturity and so on. Sometimes it was hard to judge because it seemed to be racially driven by some. I hope he comes out because he gives our pick more value.

There is always fire when there is smoke. It just depends on if the whole building is on fire or it’s a small fire that is easily taken care of. 

We KNOW Williams has some diva in him. But again, we don’t know the extent. So even for me, it’s hard to say “don’t take him, he’s a total diva and can’t make it”.

I don’t know that’s true.

The problem is, from where we sit, I don’t know that it isn’t. 

The person making the decisions should, though. So if we wind up with him I’ll have to assume he checked out just fine… which would be exciting because Williams is a solid prospect.

Edited by KDawg
  • Like 3

Troy Franklin supposedly ran a 4.35 and he hit 22.3 MPH on that bomb he caught against USC.  He's got a very DJ Chark or Robbie Anderson-esque physical profile.  It's not just all build up speed either, he has a legit acceleration and gear changing ability.

So far he and Ladd are the only WRs I've really liked for us in the second round range.  His speed will scare defenders and keep them playing back, but he does have a play strength issue that is a pretty common issue hindering productivity in the NFL.  He has to be able to run through some strong contact and avoid being rerouted.  Right now he uses his speed to beat press, and that will translate to some extent.  He can change gears and stride length and he can change directions.  But he needs to develop some strength in his legs.

Ladd is explosive but I read he runs in the high 4.5s. We'll see what happens at the combine, but I think I need him to run in the 4.4s to feel completely comfortable drafting him in the late 30s or early 40s.  If he runs in the high 4.5s at his listed size, he'll be a third rounder.

Count me out on Adonai Mitchell and Keon Coleman and Devontez Walker.  I don't like any of them.

I don't think this WR class is actually that good or deep after the big four in the first round: Harrison, Nabers, Odunze, and Leggette.  I still have a few guys I want to watch more of before I land on decisive takes, but my first take is that the DL and LBer classes are way better than the WR class in the second round.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Going Commando said:

Troy Franklin supposedly ran a 4.35 and he hit 22.3 MPH on that bomb he caught against USC.  He's got a very DJ Chark or Robbie Anderson-esque physical profile.  It's not just all build up speed either, he has a legit acceleration and gear changing ability.

So far he and Ladd are the only WRs I've really liked for us in the second round range.  His speed will scare defenders and keep them playing back, but he does have a play strength issue that is a pretty common issue hindering productivity in the NFL.  He has to be able to run through some strong contact and avoid being rerouted.  Right now he uses his speed to beat press, and that will translate to some extent.  He can change gears and stride length and he can change directions.  But he needs to develop some strength in his legs.

Ladd is explosive but I read he runs in the high 4.5s. We'll see what happens at the combine, but I think I need him to run in the 4.4s to feel completely comfortable drafting him in the late 30s or early 40s.  If he runs in the high 4.5s at his listed size, he'll be a third rounder.

Count me out on Adonai Mitchell and Keon Coleman and Devontez Walker.  I don't like any of them.

I don't think this WR class is actually that good or deep after the big four in the first round: Harrison, Nabers, Odunze, and Leggette.  I still have a few guys I want to watch more of before I land on decisive takes, but my first take is that the DL and LBer classes are way better than the WR class in the second round.

What about Bryan Thomas Jr?  I think he's battling Leggette to be WR4 personally.

• Like 2

Here is what I am rooting for:    

Find the next Jon Jansen with one of the high 2nds and lock down that RT position.

Sign a free agent LG who is actually really solid.

Stromberg shows why he was a good center prospect, has gone through the process and is ready to step in at center at a higher level than they had last season. 

They find that once he is not in space Wylie is an excellent guard who will provide quality depth and we can actually get value out of this signing.

Leno was not really the problem last year, they can roll him out again but look for them to find their LT  of the future through the draft. I hope they can retain Lucas, the most underrated player on the team who performed well when given the chance.  

These changes will significantly improve the OL

Find a vet TE and LB in free agency. Again I'm looking for good players we can squeeze a few years out of like we did with London Fletcher.

That fixes many of the immediate needs.  Now we turn one of the best talent evaluators in the league loose to draft BPA. I fully expect this group to find quality players regardless of position throughout the draft. 

Of course this all depends on hitting on the QB. It all starts there. Cincy, Miami and Houston have shown that a franchise QB can change your team overnight.  

• Thumb down 1

42 minutes ago, Going Commando said:

I really like Ladd but if we are adding to the current WR group, he is like the others. We need to add a receiver with more YAC speed and/or one that can really win contested catches. These qualities are more important with a young QB and not having the best TE group at this point.

Coleman would be a great addition but I agree top of the 2nd is tough because we need an immediate contributor and I am not sure just how raw some of his skills are currenlty 

50 minutes ago, Going Commando said:

I’m so happy you said Franklin. He’s my WR4 behind MHJ, Legette and Nabers.

3 hours ago, Going Commando said:

Troy Franklin supposedly ran a 4.35 and he hit 22.3 MPH

I think after Nabers he is the biggest deep threat in the draft. He is going to completely blow up the combine and climb boards imo. 

2 hours ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

Here is what I am rooting for:    

Find the next Jon Jansen with one of the high 2nds and lock down that RT position.

Sign a free agent LG who is actually really solid.

Stromberg shows why he was a good center prospect, has gone through the process and is ready to step in at center at a higher level than they had last season. 

They find that once he is not in space Wylie is an excellent guard who will provide quality depth and we can actually get value out of this signing.

Leno was not really the problem last year, they can roll him out again but look for them to find their LT  of the future through the draft. I hope they can retain Lucas, the most underrated player on the team who performed well when given the chance.  

These changes will significantly improve the OL

Find a vet TE and LB in free agency. Again I'm looking for good players we can squeeze a few years out of like we did with London Fletcher.

That fixes many of the immediate needs.  Now we turn one of the best talent evaluators in the league loose to draft BPA. I fully expect this group to find quality players regardless of position throughout the draft. 

Of course this all depends on hitting on the QB. It all starts there. Cincy, Miami and Houston have shown that a franchise QB can change your team overnight.  

Where are you putting Cosmi? He is our best OL imo. 

36 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

I think after Nabers he is the biggest deep threat in the draft. He is going to completely blow up the combine and climb boards imo. 

RG. I think he’s saying that Wylie is guard depth.

Leno, FA, Stromberg, Cosmi, Round 2 pick. Wylie bench.

Me, I’d be fine with them releasing Wylie if they get their LG via FA and land an OT high in the draft. 

I do think we need a vet who can play center to ease in Stromberg. Would not be surprised if that’s Feliciano.

If we get picks for Allen, I wouldn’t be opposed to a trade back into the late first for Morgan/Guyton.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

I kept him at RG where he belongs.

Not sure why my post got no love and one thumbs down. What exactly is wrong with my plan for Year 1?  We can't fix everything but assuming the QB works out that's a much improved team without making a lot of dramatic moves such as trading productive players (Terry and Allen) or spending draft capital to move up and fill needs. I'm trying to find a way to utilize Wylie as the cap hit will be costly should he be cut so he can be a good backup guard.

We go straight BPA in the draft other than perhaps a few spots to fill the RT need but don't reach to fill other needs.  In a few years this is potentially a really good roster.  

Edited by Darrell Green Fan
  • Like 1

There arent very many lengthy sit down interviews of Caleb Williams out there that i could find. But this is a good one. Goes into his decision making, his relationship with his dad and how he deals with mental pressure. They guy is smart, likeable and funny at times. 

• Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

We saw Howell do that countless times last year. Look at the spacing of the defense that play. The safety and linebacker closest to the screen almost touch each other. Not saying Maye isn’t good but this is a bad example. 

• Like 1

I mean, I get the pause with Williams in terms of him potentially being ‘difficult’, initially at least. We will have coaches and vets to mange that.

But damn, his talent level and potential looks different league to the rest. I don’t see the ‘it’ with Maye at all. That said, I’m no expert. But Williams, that release, pocket presence, off script plays. Screams 2024 NFL. Also screams new era to me. There’s gonna be another Maye next year. And the year after. But Williams…..

I really hope we show some balls and roll the dice. Aim high. But that’s just me.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

I mean, I get the pause with Williams in terms of him potentially being ‘difficult’, initially at least. We will have coaches and vets to mange that.

But damn, his talent level and potential looks different league to the rest. I don’t see the ‘it’ with Maye at all. That said, I’m no expert. But Williams, that release, pocket presence, off script plays. Screams 2024 NFL. Also screams new era to me. There’s gonna be another Maye next year. And the year after. But Williams…..

I really hope we show some balls and roll the dice. Aim high. But that’s just me.

Id still take him at 2 despite my concerns about his character but I dont think hes worth trading up for.

I feel like Maye is big time underrated on this board though.

• Like 5

Just now, Warhead36 said:

Id still take him at 2 despite my concerns about his character but I dont think hes worth trading up for.

I feel like Maye is big time underrated on this board though.

And you could be right. I really am no expert so it’s purely personal take. Will be interesting to see how it falls.

What I will say is that I’ll support whatever happens. We’re in a good place.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Conn said:

You should stop getting news from Facebook, forever.

And delete your post or people are going to keep quoting it and correcting you

Good advice.

And I deleted the original post and couple other posts where it was quoted.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1