Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2024 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

4 hours ago, Ball Security said:

I’d love to keep McLaurin, but if a team like Kansas City offered a first rounder for him (which I think is conceivable), that would be awfully hard to pass up.

But, you’re correct, we don’t need to trade either one of them. If Allen really doesn’t want to be here or wants his contract reworked, then it may be better to get good draft picks instead of having him for the backside of his career.

Getting the Chiefs 1st would put us in position to get a WR or preferably an OT that falls. Then use the 2’s on WR/OL and then a later 4th/5th to hit a WR again. If you trade Terry you gotta grab 1 top tier WR and another simply as a body. 

• Thumb up 1

12 minutes ago, mhd24 said:

I can’t see Bowers falling to 16.  That’s just absurd

That’s also a huge run on OL in the back end of the 1st. Fautuanu, Morgan, Guyton, Barton. Not sure if they all go in R1. Someone’s gotta fall to us. Right?  Right?

4 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

That’s also a huge run on OL in the back end of the 1st. Fautuanu, Morgan, Guyton, Barton. Not sure if they all go in R1. Someone’s gotta fall to us. Right?  Right?

If we traded Terry for the Chiefs 1st and Allen for the Packers first second … you could go

1. Maye, QB

1. Guyton, OT

2. Legette, WR

2. Egbuka, WR

2. Beebe, LG

3. Sinnet, TE 

3, 4, 5, 6, 7 … hammer defense

Edited by JamesMadisonSkins

8 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

OTs are a premium now in the league.  If OG Beebe from Kansas were there with our 1st 2nd round pick, I'd select him and then use our second 2nd rounder on the best OT available.  That's just me and yes, I would be picking by position due to the fact that this team has been ripped off when it comes to filling holes in our OL for years with the talent, we need that hopefully our new GM has an eye for.   

Edited by RWJ

13 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

On another note, the most love I notice for Fauga is here, me included and PFF. Mock drafters don't seem as high on him.

Either everyone elsewhere will come around, or I need to rewatch the OL again. It seems silly of me to watch Fuaga be mocked late 1st yet he's my #1 OT.

18 minutes ago, FlyBigBeard said:

I think Nix does 🤷🏻‍♂️ 

His average depth of target and number of big time throws is lowest among the guys listed.

His team runs a very check down heavy offense.  I actually like Nix.  He has big time arm talent, to my eyes.  I’m just not sure if maybe his team runs that style offense because he doesn’t process well, so they keep it quick and simple for him.  Just speculation, but he isn’t asked to make many difficult, downfield throws.

1 hour ago, skinsmania123 said:

I have read a lot of information about Penix.  He has not been injured in over 2 years at Washington. I think that is huge. There are no guarantees with any athlete entering the NFL, i.e. RG3 and Luck.

But if you compare the Penix at Indiana, who was so injury prone, with the Penix at Washington it is the tale of two QB's. His conditioning at Washington was100% better. He added 15 lbs. of muscle to his physique and became much stronger. He showed an ability to stand in the pocket and deliver strikes. He has more touch on some of his throws, which was a knock on him when he played at Indiana.  

But if you watch highlights of this guy, he seems very poised, demonstrates an ability to sidestep pressure, and has a really good arm. And given what he has been through in his college career, he is mentally tough.  I hope our new GM gives him a good look.  

With those sorts of injuries it doesn't usually matter if he hasn't had any more recently. Those joints and ligaments are pretty much never going to be as structurally sound as before after they've been injured and had surgery to repair them. So it's likely going to take less to injure them again in the future.

I really like watching Penix play, but 2 ACL tears on the same knee and a dislocated throwing shoulder, plus being 2-3 years older than most rookies? That's just terrifying when talking about a top 5 pick. Someone will take a chance on him, but I'd be really surprised if it's in the top half of the 1st.

• Like 2

Thought this was an interesting chart.  No surprise both Maye and Williams charted better in 2022. The view that 2023 Daniels is viewed as a better passer, but less athletic version of Lamar Jackson holds up as well. 

This chart clearly didn’t translate as it relates to predicting Justin Herbert’s success in the pros.  

• Like 1

Some interesting looking ILB options for those watching the Rose Bowl Monday night:

Alphonzo Tuputala #11 Washington

Edefuan Ulofoshio #5 Washington *I've followed him for a couple years now good player just can't stay healthy

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Curtisp5286 said:

If I was to try to tweak this set of rules to more align with today’s game, I would need to bump up the completion % and TD:INT ratio to 65% and 3:1.  Would also probably need to cut it back to a 3+ year player, 25 starts, and 18 wins.  Or something like that.

Here's a list of a few guys you would pass on, based on your criteria:

Peyton Manning

Tom Brady

Drew Brees

Aaron Rodgers

Patrick Mahomes

Josh Allen

But yeah, sounds like a super model otherwise.

• Like 1

If someone offers us a motherload haul and we feel like we can get a QB in the 1st round that we like I'm trading back and making 2025 another great draft just like the Bears have done this year. Look at the position they are in and tell me why we wouldn't want to be in that position next year? Grab as much talent as you can this draft, sign free agents you can get and load up in 2025. The best organizations show patience and set themselves up year after year until they're ready to go for it. 

Many will argue we'll never get as high as #2 so take the QB, I say we'll never get as high as #2 again so take the King's ransome of picks and turn them into multiple pieces. History shows that getting the franchise QB at pick #1 or #2 is fools gold and highly unlikely. Let someone else make that mistake and pay us to do it.

5 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

If someone offers us a motherload haul and we feel like we can get a QB in the 1st round that we like I'm trading back and making 2025 another great draft just like the Bears have done this year. Look at the position they are in and tell me why we wouldn't want to be in that position next year? Grab as much talent as you can this draft, sign free agents you can get and load up in 2025. The best organizations show patience and set themselves up year after year until they're ready to go for it. 

Many will argue we'll never get as high as #2 so take the QB, I say we'll never get as high as #2 again so take the King's ransome of picks and turn them into multiple pieces. History shows that getting the franchise QB at pick #1 or #2 is fools gold and highly unlikely. Let someone else make that mistake and pay us to do it.

Only trouble with the argument that getting the franchise QB at 1/2 is highly unlikely is that getting the franchise QB at a lower pick is EVEN LESS likely.

If the front office isn’t confident in any of the QBs in that range, then yeah, trade down, but if they do like someone a lot, then take him.  You will need to get him somewhere and near the top of the draft is the easiest place to find him.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, kingdaddy said:

If someone offers us a motherload haul and we feel like we can get a QB in the 1st round that we like I'm trading back and making 2025 another great draft just like the Bears have done this year. 

Many will argue we'll never get as high as #2 so take the QB, I say we'll never get as high as #2 again so take the King's ransome of picks and turn them into multiple pieces. 

The bolded part seems unlikely though. If we trade down then what QB would we be targeting outside of Williams/Maye/Daniels?   (assuming someone is trading up for a QB) 

Top 20 OLB’s & total exercise in futility so hard to rank these guys - too bad OLB Jay Higgins Iowa is returning he would be an easy top 5 for me

1. Payton Wilson NC State *Nobody is really that close IMO

2. Edgerrin Cooper Texas A&M *His teammate LB#21 Taurean York Freshman is going to be as good too

3. Aaron Casey Indiana

4. Collin Oliver Oklahoma State

5. Javon Solomon Troy *More EDGE but very capable off-ball too IMO

6. Curtis Jacobs Penn State

7. Steve Linton Texas Tech

8. C.J. Goetz Wisconsin *Underrated

9.Tyree Dupree Liberty

10. Jett Johnson Mississippi State

11. Sidney Houston Jr. Ball State * More EDGE but very capable off-ball too IMO

12. Jamoi Hodge TCU

13. Jacob Mangum-Farrar Indiana

14. Aaron Beasley Tennessee

15. Ruben Hyppolite II Maryland

16. Ron Stone Jr. Washington State * More EDGE but very capable off-ball too IMO

17. Kalen DeLoach Florida State

18. Eugene Asante Auburn

19. Marlowe Wax Syracuse

20. Edefuan Ulofoshio Washington

Risers perhaps or good Day 3 / UDFA types testing will be huge for this group 

Jacoby Windmon Michigan State *More EDGE but very capable off-ball too IMO

Matt Jones Baylor *Very Underrated IMO

Aaron Brule Michigan State

Byron Vaughns Baylor

JD Bertrand Notre Dame

Francisco Mauigoa Miami *Junior

Alphonzo Tuputala Washington *Junior

Trezman Marshall Alabama

Eric Gentry USC *Injured

Karene Reid Utah *Junior

Justin Flowe Arizona

David Ugwoegbu Houston * More EDGE but very capable off-ball too IMO

Cam Arnold Boston College

Max Tooley BYU

AJ Vongphachanh BYU

Bryce Gallagher Northwestern

Jordan Magee Temple

Easton Gibbs Wyoming

Joe Andreessen Buffalo

Jackson Sirmon Cal

Richard Jibunor Troy

Edited by Chump Bailey
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Ball Security said:

I’d love to keep McLaurin, but if a team like Kansas City offered a first rounder for him (which I think is conceivable), that would be awfully hard to pass up.

But, you’re correct, we don’t need to trade either one of them. If Allen really doesn’t want to be here or wants his contract reworked, then it may be better to get good draft picks instead of having him for the backside of his career.

allen is tradeable for me...but i don't know why people are talking about trading mclaurin. he's the only borderline elite level wide receiver we've drafted since gary clark. the only other receiver we drafted that had sustained good play was probably crowder. we have the cap space. we have the ability to move allen...why trade a receiver that has proven he's mostly quarterback proof and can help a young qb? on the hope that the new front office can hopefully hit on one?

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, xxprodigyxx said:

allen is tradeable for me...but i don't know why people are talking about trading mclaurin. he's the only borderline elite level wide receiver we've drafted since gary clark. the only other receiver we drafted that had sustained good play was probably crowder. we have the cap space. we have the ability to move allen...why trade a receiver that has proven he's mostly quarterback proof and can help a young qb? on the hope that the new front office can hopefully hit on one?

Also, the people saying trading mclauren to turn around and use that pick to draft another WR is confusing. Sure it’s cheaper, but we aren’t hurting right now and terry is still producing. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, mh86 said:

Also, the people saying trading mclauren to turn around and use that pick to draft another WR is confusing. Sure it’s cheaper, but we aren’t hurting right now and terry is still producing. 

i just don't wanna bryce young the kid when we have a crap ton of cap space.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1