Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2024 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

So much excitement about the potential #2 pick and rightfully so. I’m really excited to see what we do with these four day 2 picks. Will we have an additional pick or two if Allen and/or McLaurin get moved. 

Bunch of oline help that may be there at the top of the second. I’d look at scripting my top 30 picks and if one is available with the Bears pick, take him. If not, look to move that pick back.

If you get a third second round pick for Allen, you could package one with a 2025 second to move back into the first, then use one of the remaining seconds and move back and recoup the 2025 second.

I’d love to end up selecting 8-10 guys in 2024 and have 8+ picks in 2025.

So many possibilities. I’m getting excited.

12 minutes ago, Ball Security said:

So much excitement about the potential #2 pick and rightfully so. I’m really excited to see what we do with these four day 2 picks. Will we have an additional pick or two if Allen and/or McLaurin get moved. 

Bunch of oline help that may be there at the top of the second. I’d look at scripting my top 30 picks and if one is available with the Bears pick, take him. If not, look to move that pick back.

If you get a third second round pick for Allen, you could package one with a 2025 second to move back into the first, then use one of the remaining seconds and move back and recoup the 2025 second.

I’d love to end up selecting 8-10 guys in 2024 and have 8+ picks in 2025.

So many possibilities. I’m getting excited.

We can't move McLaurin if we want to also draft a QB in the 1st round. Having high profile QB's without weapons, protection, or a run game just increases the chance of them developing bad habits and busting. I don't want to move Allen, but if we had to move one of the two, it has to be him. Allen leaving would not directly hurt a QB's development. DT group has some talent after Allen, but beyond McLaurin the WR group kind of blows (Samuel is a free agent).

That said, I don't think we need to or should move either Allen or McLaurin.

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

2 minutes ago, Always A Commander Never A Captain said:

We can't move McLaurin if we want to also draft a QB in the 1st round. Having high profile QB's without weapons, protection, or a run game just increases the chance of them developing bad habits and busting. I don't want to move Allen, but if we had to move one of the two, it has to be him. Allen leaving would not directly hurt a QB's development. DT group has some talent after Allen, but beyond McLaurin the WR group kind of blows (Samuel is a free agent).

That said, I don't think we need to or should move either Allen or McLaurin.

I’d love to keep McLaurin, but if a team like Kansas City offered a first rounder for him (which I think is conceivable), that would be awfully hard to pass up.

But, you’re correct, we don’t need to trade either one of them. If Allen really doesn’t want to be here or wants his contract reworked, then it may be better to get good draft picks instead of having him for the backside of his career.

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, ThatNFLChick said:

I know PFF isn't the end all be all but the more I look at their numbers, the more risky Williams actually seems (moreso than Daniels or Maye)

All of these PFF numbers from your past few posts, I think Daniels definitely comes out looking the best overall.

1 hour ago, clskinsfan said:

Maye, Williams and Rattler had no OL at all in college. I dont know if there is a drafted player on any of those lines. So it is kind of tough to grade them on sack rate. 

I don't know. Williams had 3.2 seconds to throw per attempt. Part of that was his ability for sure, but he got sacked at a high rate for having that long to throw. He holds the ball, which I'm not totally against given his ability to make plays, but I don't think a QB who holds the ball is going to survive the fans and media here unless he's absolutely outstanding right away off platform. Luckily for Williams, that is his strong suit. 

The other thing to look at and think about: Does Penix make his line look better and thus help them actually be NFL prospects?

According to NFL Draft Buzz (I'm too lazy to figure it out myself in this case), here are the OL prospects from each line from the main QBs:

Washington (1): Troy Fautanu (#42 on NFL Draft Buzz overall)

USC (1): Jonah Monheim (#151) [Note, they have several others listed, but in the 400-500 range. Washington didn't have anyone after #42)

South Carolina (0)

North Carolina (0)

LSU (1): Miles Frazier (#213)

Michigan (2): Zak Zinter (#93), LaDarius Henderson (#174)

Oregon (2): Jackson Powers-Johnson (#80), Ajani Cornelius (#183)

Washington State (0)

Tulane (1): Sincere Haynesworth (#165)

Texas (0)

Total NFL Draft Prospects on the roster from #1-#250:

Washington: 7

USC: 7

South Carolina: 3

North Carolina: 4

LSU: 10

Michigan: 13

Oregon: 8

Washington State: 3

Tulane: 2

Texas: 10

I don't know. Where there is smoke there is generally fire and the stats back what I see when I watch these guys for the most part with some small nits... Williams off platform ability CLEARLY makes him better than his statistics show... But how much better? And does his size make the stats worse? I'm not sure yet.

I think people are big time underselling Penix and big time overselling Williams... But to what tune? I have no idea. I'm not even sure if I'd remove Williams from the QB1 slot yet.

But smoke and fire go hand in hand.

Edited by KDawg
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I don't know. Williams had 3.2 seconds to throw per attempt. Part of that was his ability for sure, but he got sacked at a high rate for having that long to throw. He holds the ball, which I'm not totally against given his ability to make plays, but I don't think a QB who holds the ball is going to survive the fans and media here unless he's absolutely outstanding right away off platform. Luckily for Williams, that is his strong suit. 

The other thing to look at and think about: Does Penix make his line look better and thus help them actually be NFL prospects?

According to NFL Draft Buzz (I'm too lazy to figure it out myself in this case), here are the OL prospects from each line from the main QBs:

Washington (2): Troy Fautanu (#42 on NFL Draft Buzz overall), Roger Rosengarten (#276)

USC (1): Jonah Monheim (#151) [Note, they have several others listed, but in the 400-500 range. Washington didn't have anyone after #42)

South Carolina (0)

North Carolina (0)

Washington State (0)

Texas (0)

I don't know. Where there is smoke there is generally fire and the stats back what I see when I watch these guys for the most part with some small nits... Williams off platform ability CLEARLY makes him better than his statistics show... But how much better? And does his size make the stats worse? I'm not sure yet.

I think people are big time underselling Penix and big time overselling Williams... But to what tune? I have no idea. I'm not even sure if I'd remove Williams from the QB1 slot yet.

Yeah, I've been thinking about this a lot too. I am not ready to say anyone should be QB1 over Williams but Williams has such massive boom/bust potential. 

I do think if we are depending on analytics than not much justifies Williams being QB1 but when you watch him play its hard not to see his potential (its just about how much and how quickly you think he can learn/grow/clean up those bad habits)

2 minutes ago, ThatNFLChick said:

Yeah, I've been thinking about this a lot too. I am not ready to say anyone should be QB1 over Williams but Williams has such massive boom/bust potential. 

I do think if we are depending on analytics than not much justifies Williams being QB1 but when you watch him play its hard not to see his potential (its just about how much and how quickly you think he can learn/grow/clean up those bad habits)

Therein lies the rub. Statistics lie. But… not always. 

The eye test backs the stats though, but the stats undersell Williams off platform ability a bit, too. So it’s this weird in between where the stats make all the sense in the world but they both oversell his negatives and undersell his positives.

But then… how much are you jumping through hoops to justify the negative?

My Howell experience was a learning curve for me… (note: I still think he was the best QB prospect in that class. No, I don’t want to go back and say Purdy. I didn’t really give him any film watching so I can’t retroactively go back and say him).

I ignored a lot of red flags and focused on his green ones… and I still think he could be a good QB in the league… but retrospect says that I undersold his negatives a bit.

I think the draftnik community is underselling Williams negatives a bit.

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, Curtisp5286 said:

All of these PFF numbers from your past few posts, I think Daniels definitely comes out looking the best overall.

Adding to all this if you go by the old Bill Parcells model of how to draft a QB, the only one who fits is Daniels

THE PARCELLS’ RULES

• 4 Year player
  • 3 year starter
  • College graduate
  • 30 career starts
  • 23 career wins
  • + 60% completion percentage
  • 2:1 passing touchdown to interception ratio.

Sure we can rattle off a list of quarterbacks Bill Parcells would never have drafted following his own methodology such as Pat Mahomes, Josh Allen, Kyler Murray, Aaron Rodgers. Further in to the past he wouldn’t have selected Tom Brady, Cam Newton, Matt Ryan.

Current NFL players who would have made the Parcells’ list would include Lamar Jackson, Derek Carr, Dak Prescott. Casting the net a little further back, he would’ve identified Ben Roethlisberger, Drew Brees and Andrew Luck.

Clearly there are hits and misses in those lists but the reason this is interesting is that recent evaluation misses such as Zach Wilson and Trey Lance would not have been considered under this methodology. More over, the underdog story of last season, Brock Purdy would have been. Throw in to the mix the fact that some of this preseasons top performing rookie QB’s fit the model, maybe Coach Parcells methodology still hold some weight today?

Edited by ThatNFLChick
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, ThatNFLChick said:

Adding to all this if you go by the old Bill Parcells model of how to draft a QB, the only one who fits is Daniels

THE PARCELLS’ RULES

• 4 Year player
  • 3 year starter
  • College graduate
  • 30 career starts
  • 23 career wins

Sure we can rattle off a list of quarterbacks Bill Parcells would never have drafted following his own methodology such as Pat Mahomes, Josh Allen, Kyler Murray, Aaron Rodgers. Further in to the past he wouldn’t have selected Tom Brady, Cam Newton, Matt Ryan.

Current NFL players who would have made the Parcells’ list would include Lamar Jackson, Derek Carr, Dak Prescott. Casting the net a little further back, he would’ve identified Ben Roethlisberger, Drew Brees and Andrew Luck.

Rattler, Penix, Nix, Pratt all meet the criteria, too.

I’m not sure Parcells strategy would work in today’s landscape. It dismisses too many players. But I think the general principles are good:

Youngish QB (draft wise) who has at least 3 years of starting experience that can protect the ball and completes passes on a routine basis.

Edited by KDawg
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, ThatNFLChick said:

THE PARCELLS’ RULES

• 4 Year player
  • 3 year starter
  • College graduate
  • 30 career starts
  • 23 career wins

Clearly there are hits and misses in those lists but the reason this is interesting is that recent evaluation misses such as Zach Wilson and Trey Lance would not have been considered under this methodology. More over, the underdog story of last season, Brock Purdy would have been. Throw in to the mix the fact that some of this preseasons top performing rookie QB’s fit the model, maybe Coach Parcells methodology still hold some weight today?

I'm actually thinking we should draft Jayden Daniels over Caleb or Maye.    If not his injury history,  I'd like Penix over all of them.......but unfortunately he is too big of a risk.   Daniels has the potential to be an electric player without the RG3 diva......

Edited by srtman04

25 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Part of that was his ability for sure

I would argue almost all of that was his scrambling ability. But I get it. Like I said its very hard to gauge those guys. Penix is different, Because he has an incredible line and weapons. Now did he take advantage of that? Yes. Cant fault him for it. I like Penix the player a lot. It is Penix the medical patient that scares me. 

And Daniels scares me because he is really a one year wonder. His accuracy rate was abysmal until this year. He led college football in uncatchable passes a couple of seasons ago. He also takes way too many hits. And unlike Maye doesnt really have the size to take that punishment in the NFL. Maye takes too many as well btw. 

Edited by clskinsfan
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ThatNFLChick said:

I know PFF isn't the end all be all but the more I look at their numbers, the more risky Williams actually seems (moreso than Daniels or Maye)

He is very risky, and will take time to learn the pro game and speed

• Like 1

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/2024-nfl-free-agency-kirk-cousins-chris-jones-and-tee-higgins-headline-top-50/amp/

There are basically zero TE’s in FA. 

I’m going to assume we don’t give up any assets to move up and we take Maye at the 2nd overall spot. We know we need to upgrade IOL and RT, but I really think we need to also upgrade our offensive weapons. 

I’d be bet in favor of adding a high profile FA WR such as Tee Higgins or Mike Evan’s. We are going to need a TE, and that guy is going to need to come from the draft. 

Without scrolling through 50 pages, what do our TE options look like in this draft? 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Anselmheifer said:

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/2024-nfl-free-agency-kirk-cousins-chris-jones-and-tee-higgins-headline-top-50/amp/

I’m going to assume we don’t give up any assets to move up and we take Maye at the 2nd overall spot. We know we need to upgrade IOL and RT, but I really think we need to also upgrade our offensive weapons. 

I’d be bet in favor of adding a high profile FA WR such as Tee Higgins or Mike Evan’s. We are going to need a TE, and that guy is going to need to come from the draft. 

Without scrolling through 50 pages, what do our TE options look like in this draft? 

2024 NFL Free Agents Tracker | Spotrac

1 hour ago, ThatNFLChick said:

THE PARCELLS’ RULES

• 4 Year player
  • 3 year starter
  • College graduate
  • 30 career starts
  • 23 career wins

If I was to try to tweak this set of rules to more align with today’s game, I would need to bump up the completion % and TD:INT ratio to 65% and 3:1.  Would also probably need to cut it back to a 3+ year player, 25 starts, and 18 wins.  Or something like that.

Edited by Curtisp5286

1 hour ago, KDawg said:

Washington (1): Troy Fautanu (#42 on NFL Draft Buzz overall)

South Carolina (0)

North Carolina (0)

Washington State (0)

Texas (0)

That's the draft eligible players only for this year both lists or just for the top?  What about the other future picks or honors earned by other players? Who played against the best ranked D and in that no.? 

54 minutes ago, Anselmheifer said:

I really like Noah Fant as a TE option for us in Free Agency. He's only 26, he's become a better blocker and when they have thrown passes his way he's had good habds in Seattle. 

32 minutes ago, Curtisp5286 said:

If I was to try to tweak this set of rules to more align with today’s game, I would need to bump up the completion % and TD:INT ratio to 65% and 3:1.  Would also probably need to cut it back to a 3+ year player, 25 starts, and 18 wins.  Or something like that.

I think those are good tweaks!

Going by that Williams and Daniels are fine I think and Maye would be out (he had a 63% completion rate in 2023). Though I don't know exactly how many wins Williams had off the top of my head. 

2 hours ago, srtman04 said:

I'm actually thinking we should draft Jayden Daniels over Caleb or Maye.    If not his injury history,  I'd like Penix over all of them.......but unfortunately he is too big of a risk.   Daniels has the potential to be an electric player without the RG3 diva......

I have read a lot of information about Penix.  He has not been injured in over 2 years at Washington. I think that is huge. There are no guarantees with any athlete entering the NFL, i.e. RG3 and Luck.

But if you compare the Penix at Indiana, who was so injury prone, with the Penix at Washington it is the tale of two QB's. His conditioning at Washington was100% better. He added 15 lbs. of muscle to his physique and became much stronger. He showed an ability to stand in the pocket and deliver strikes. He has more touch on some of his throws, which was a knock on him when he played at Indiana.  

But if you watch highlights of this guy, he seems very poised, demonstrates an ability to sidestep pressure, and has a really good arm. And given what he has been through in his college career, he is mentally tough.  I hope our new GM gives him a good look.  

• Like 1

Thankfully we can all remain a little undecided on Penix as the championship game is coming.

Talk about something that could vault his draft stock to anywhere. He's meh, then he falls to late 1st. He's good, but they lose, he's Top 10 or Top 5. He has a repeat of his game against Texas with zero sacks and they win it all? There's going to be noise for him at #1.

• Thumb up 1

1. CHICAGO BEARS (VIA CAR): QB CALEB WILLIAMS, USC

Quarterback Justin Fields is playing some of the best ball of his NFL career. Perhaps that sways the Bears to trade the top pick for the second year in a row and acquire even more premium selections. Ultimately, I think they will reset their rookie quarterback contract window and trade Fields for a nice return. This draft process will be fascinating when it comes to the quarterback debate, but I still say Williams is the top prospect.

2. WASHINGTON COMMANDERS: QB DRAKE MAYE, NORTH CAROLINA

Big changes are coming to the Commanders’ front office and coaching staff when the regular season comes to a close. With new ownership now in place, it seems likely the franchise will completely turn the page. It will be even easier to do so if the Commanders beat out the Patriots for the No. 2 pick, where the easy choice is whoever is available between Caleb Williams or Drake Maye, with either being a franchise quarterback to invest in.

3. NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS: QB JAYDEN DANIELS, LSU

Week 18 will be a photo finish for one of the Commanders, Patriots and Cardinals to get the No. 2 overall pick. The Patriots and Commanders have the inside track with a much lower strength of schedule tiebreaker. But the Patriots should target a quarterback no matter what. If it isn't Maye or Williams, the reigning Heisman Trophy winner, Daniels, is a special dual-threat talent — a worthy swing of the bat.

4. ARIZONA CARDINALS: WR MARVIN HARRISON JR., OHIO STATE

Getting Marvin Harrison Jr. at No. 4 feels like a steal, but if these teams at the top remain as quarterback-desperate as they are now, it’s not impossible. This would be a no-brainer pick for the Cardinals, securing Harrison as their WR1 of the future.

5. NEW YORK GIANTS: WR MALIK NABERS, LSU

Giants fans might roll their eyes at this one, as it’s not a quarterback, but this is how things played out with three already off the board. Though 2022 first-rounder Evan Neal has struggled at offensive tackle, general manager Joe Schoen has talked about how much they still believe in him at that spot — which, to me, signals at least another year before the Giants use a major draft asset to potentially replace him. That leads us to Nabers, a receiver with elite movement skills and separation ability who is good enough to be the WR1 in many other draft classes.

6. LOS ANGELES CHARGERS: OT JOE ALT, NOTRE DAME

The Chargers’ new general manager will have several roster holes to address, and when that’s the case, the wise move is to look to the premium positions. The Chargers have Rashawn Slater at left tackle and could pair him with Alt on the other side to form one of the NFL's best young tackle duos in front of quarterback Justin Herbert. Alt played only left tackle for Notre Dame but is a very natural athlete who possesses the coordination to play on the other side.

7. TENNESSEE TITANS: OT OLU FASHANU, PENN STATE

The Titans’ top need is the offensive line. They drafted Peter Skoronski in the first round last year, but he moved to guard right away. Now, they must look to offensive tackle. Fashanu is a rare mover at 6-foot-6 and 320 pounds. He does have some inconsistencies when it comes to power in both pass protection and run blocking, but he is just 21 years old and can certainly improve in that area.

8. NEW YORK JETS: OT TALIESE FUAGA, OREGON STATE

The 2024 season is all about building around Aaron Rodgers for one big Super Bowl run. The best — and most needed — course of action is investing in the offensive line. Fuaga, who started at right tackle for Oregon State for two seasons, is a powerful offensive tackle who has the requisite strength and mentality to start in the NFL as a first-year player.

Try PFF's mock draft simulator — trade picks and players and mock for your favorite NFL team.

9. ATLANTA FALCONS: QB MICHAEL PENIX JR., WASHINGTON

Penix has put together a monster season with one game to go. The sixth-year gunslinger with an unorthodox throwing style has racked up 40 big-time throws this season, the most of any FBS quarterback. That includes five in the conference championship game against Oregon and six in the Sugar Bowl against Texas. The Falcons desperately need a new quarterback to get behind. If it’s not a free agent or a player like Justin Fields in a trade, Penix should be on their radar in the first round.

10. CHICAGO BEARS: WR ROME ODUNZE, WASHINGTON

With a new quarterback in hand, the Bears could double-dip on offense to get him a new receiver to pair with DJ Moore. Odunze is an impressive athlete at 6-foot-3 and 215 pounds, and his contested-catch reliability got even better in 2023. He feels like the total package and would’ve easily been WR1 in last year’s draft.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

1. CHICAGO BEARS (VIA CAR): QB CALEB WILLIAMS, USC

Quarterback Justin Fields is playing some of the best ball of his NFL career. Perhaps that sways the Bears to trade the top pick for the second year in a row and acquire even more premium selections. Ultimately, I think they will reset their rookie quarterback contract window and trade Fields for a nice return. This draft process will be fascinating when it comes to the quarterback debate, but I still say Williams is the top prospect.

2. WASHINGTON COMMANDERS: QB DRAKE MAYE, NORTH CAROLINA

Big changes are coming to the Commanders’ front office and coaching staff when the regular season comes to a close. With new ownership now in place, it seems likely the franchise will completely turn the page. It will be even easier to do so if the Commanders beat out the Patriots for the No. 2 pick, where the easy choice is whoever is available between Caleb Williams or Drake Maye, with either being a franchise quarterback to invest in.

3. NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS: QB JAYDEN DANIELS, LSU

Week 18 will be a photo finish for one of the Commanders, Patriots and Cardinals to get the No. 2 overall pick. The Patriots and Commanders have the inside track with a much lower strength of schedule tiebreaker. But the Patriots should target a quarterback no matter what. If it isn't Maye or Williams, the reigning Heisman Trophy winner, Daniels, is a special dual-threat talent — a worthy swing of the bat.

4. ARIZONA CARDINALS: WR MARVIN HARRISON JR., OHIO STATE

Getting Marvin Harrison Jr. at No. 4 feels like a steal, but if these teams at the top remain as quarterback-desperate as they are now, it’s not impossible. This would be a no-brainer pick for the Cardinals, securing Harrison as their WR1 of the future.

5. NEW YORK GIANTS: WR MALIK NABERS, LSU

Giants fans might roll their eyes at this one, as it’s not a quarterback, but this is how things played out with three already off the board. Though 2022 first-rounder Evan Neal has struggled at offensive tackle, general manager Joe Schoen has talked about how much they still believe in him at that spot — which, to me, signals at least another year before the Giants use a major draft asset to potentially replace him. That leads us to Nabers, a receiver with elite movement skills and separation ability who is good enough to be the WR1 in many other draft classes.

6. LOS ANGELES CHARGERS: OT JOE ALT, NOTRE DAME

The Chargers’ new general manager will have several roster holes to address, and when that’s the case, the wise move is to look to the premium positions. The Chargers have Rashawn Slater at left tackle and could pair him with Alt on the other side to form one of the NFL's best young tackle duos in front of quarterback Justin Herbert. Alt played only left tackle for Notre Dame but is a very natural athlete who possesses the coordination to play on the other side.

7. TENNESSEE TITANS: OT OLU FASHANU, PENN STATE

The Titans’ top need is the offensive line. They drafted Peter Skoronski in the first round last year, but he moved to guard right away. Now, they must look to offensive tackle. Fashanu is a rare mover at 6-foot-6 and 320 pounds. He does have some inconsistencies when it comes to power in both pass protection and run blocking, but he is just 21 years old and can certainly improve in that area.

8. NEW YORK JETS: OT TALIESE FUAGA, OREGON STATE

The 2024 season is all about building around Aaron Rodgers for one big Super Bowl run. The best — and most needed — course of action is investing in the offensive line. Fuaga, who started at right tackle for Oregon State for two seasons, is a powerful offensive tackle who has the requisite strength and mentality to start in the NFL as a first-year player.

Try PFF's mock draft simulator — trade picks and players and mock for your favorite NFL team.

9. ATLANTA FALCONS: QB MICHAEL PENIX JR., WASHINGTON

Penix has put together a monster season with one game to go. The sixth-year gunslinger with an unorthodox throwing style has racked up 40 big-time throws this season, the most of any FBS quarterback. That includes five in the conference championship game against Oregon and six in the Sugar Bowl against Texas. The Falcons desperately need a new quarterback to get behind. If it’s not a free agent or a player like Justin Fields in a trade, Penix should be on their radar in the first round.

10. CHICAGO BEARS: WR ROME ODUNZE, WASHINGTON

With a new quarterback in hand, the Bears could double-dip on offense to get him a new receiver to pair with DJ Moore. Odunze is an impressive athlete at 6-foot-3 and 215 pounds, and his contested-catch reliability got even better in 2023. He feels like the total package and would’ve easily been WR1 in last year’s draft.

I can’t see Bowers falling to 16.  That’s just absurd

• Thumb up 1