Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2024 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

5 hours ago, Going Commando said:

This is gutting.  We can't be losing guys like Allen and hope to build a winning culture.  They are necessary for reaching the level of true competitiveness.

Losing his buy in is just one more piece of evidence that this franchise is bottom barrel and all of the players know they are doing time here.  This team is hard to root for.

If he asks out, I would respect his request because he's earned the right and I wouldn't like forcing players to be here against their will.  But I truly hope he doesn't do that.

I get it. But this is spillover from the Snyder era that we’re going to spend a year or two mopping up. Allen’s been here 7 years. I don’t think it’s that crazy if he’s not part of the rebuild, as much as he’s been a likable, good player here. The roster is going to get worse before it gets better, possibly (but possibly not—we’re about to go 4-13 with this roster).

But I think what people aren’t considering is that letting go of these old comfortable favorites can be exciting, if you let it be. Having a young, cheaper, hungry, bought-in group of new players is going to be fun. We’re going to be scrappy. Fierce. I bet we’ll be more athletic and there’s a very good chance we’ll be more fundamentally sound. We’re going to suck sometimes, but not with a roster build that’s been in progress for 4+ years (and an extension of failed leadership that lasted 20+ years), which has been ****ing depressing. With hope for the future, instead. Look at the Texans right now. That, or something like it, could be us.

I’m going to feel light as a feather rooting for a Washington franchise that has mucked out all the darkness and heaviness of Snyder. THAT version of the team, whose dwindling shadow is tormenting us this season, was hard to root for. I will find this next version of the roster much easier to root for, even if they suck. You could swap half our decent vets for scrappy UDFA’s and I’ll enjoy watching it more.

I just find it helpful to keep all that in perspective—and that’s just me, we won’t all feel the same. This isn’t a lecture about how you feel, your post just struck a chord for me and how I’ve been feeling lately. If we trade players like Allen and Terry, I truly won’t even blink. I’ll critique the return we get, and how we use those resources, of course.

I truly don’t think we need those “foundational” players who have been a part of such powerful losing over the years. We will acquire more, and can root for a normal non-evil franchise while we do it.

Players like Allen and McLaurin got screwed by Snyder’s machine of sadness, we fans got screwed even worse and for much longer. I’m going to find it extremely easy to root for a faster, younger, hopeful rebuild even if some of the individual players are technically worse at first. And then before you know it we’ll have replaced those guys who used to be considered the building blocks of this bad team. 

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

A starting OL with 3 rookies is a recipe for disaster. Some teams have done well with 2 - Seattle started two in 2022 with Lucas and Cross. Many of you underestimate the learning curves rookie OLs, especially interior ones have. It is why keeping Leno for one more year and Wylie as a starting LG or utility depth for one more year is not the worst thing in the world. 

We also can’t earmark all of our Day 1 and Day 2 picks for OLs. We also have the weakest EDGE and LB rooms in the NFL and bottom third tight end and secondary rooms.

• Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

30 minutes ago, method man said:

A starting OL with 3 rookies is a recipe for disaster.

The Commanders have 5 of the bottom 10 OL in the NFL. The Commanders are on pace to break sack records. The Commanders can't run the ball on 3rd or 4th and short with BRob in the backfield, because your OL can't block. Your OL room is the definition of a disaster.

I disagree that drafting 3/4 of the 25 best OL in one of the best OL draft classes in a few years being a disaster for the leagues worst OL room. Yes there will be growing pains, but you are getting kicked in the balls currently every week by your OL play. The pain of change won't be greater than the pain of staying the same. 

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

37 minutes ago, method man said:

A starting OL with 3 rookies is a recipe for disaster. Some teams have done well with 2 - Seattle started two in 2022 with Lucas and Cross. Many of you underestimate the learning curves rookie OLs, especially interior ones have. It is why keeping Leno for one more year and Wylie as a starting LG or utility depth for one more year is not the worst thing in the world. 

We also can’t earmark all of our Day 1 and Day 2 picks for OLs. We also have the weakest EDGE and LB rooms in the NFL and bottom third tight end and secondary rooms.

Good points. We need help pretty much across the board. I'll take this opportunity to shamelessly promote my man from last year Colts Blake Freeland who appears to be holding down the RT spot and not embarrassing himself :)

7 hours ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

I'm perfectly fine shedding our core. Especially since Allen/Payne are being paid big $$ and we have two "solid" options behind them (supposedly).

That's RR kinda thinking and it has led us to where we are today. Who needs Trent/Moses/Scherff? We've got plenty of talent behind them! IMO, you hold on to your talent because not every player is league average. Keep the ones above average and bring in competition for the ones who aren't

3 hours ago, IrepDC said:

The Commanders have 5 of the bottom 10 OL in the NFL. The Commanders are on pace to break sack records. The Commanders can't run the ball on 3rd or 4th and short with BRob in the backfield, because your OL can't block. Your OL room is the definition of a disaster.

I disagree that drafting 3/4 of the 25 best OL in one of the best OL draft classes in a few years being a disaster for the leagues worst OL room. Yes there will be growing pains, but you are getting kicked in the balls currently every week by your OL play. The pain of change won't be greater than the pain of staying the same. 

Do me a favor. Do you have a link to show they have a "5 of the bottom 10 OL in the NFL", IrepDC?  Kindly, post it.  It's bad but can you post that link.  

Edited by RWJ

3 hours ago, IrepDC said:

Small technicality here. Sam Howell is on pace to break sacked records, but the Commanders are not.

image.png.87cf5b07533c24eda5af37850742b1d5.png

image.png.956c15f9fcbc300a163447091eb91240.png

Edit: Actually Sam Howell is on pace to TIE the infamous David Carr sack record of 76 in one season. Take that incompetence!

Edited by Always A Commander Never A Captain

I agree with the sentiment of trading any asset outside of Howell. We need a full rebuild. Quick fixes were the way of a Dan Snyder or Peter Angelos. We need to get a proper pro and college scouting department outlined. Get over 10 picks in the draft and throw money at college FA. Get guys in there to compete and nobody has a starting job unless it’s earned.

This is what I think we should do. Build offensive line and wide receiver in free agency and the draft.  Trade draft picks for next year.  Save cap room.  If Howell does good with his weapons, the next year we can go all out spending on our defense and drafting defensive players. If he does not do good, we will be in a position to draft a Quarterback.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Stadium-Armory said:

If ever there was a time to be hard-core BPA, it's this year. Blank slate from a fan and ownership perspective, and lots of picks. If that ends up being a tackle with the first pick, fine. But I'd like to see a moniacle focus on BPA all the way through the draft, no matter the position.

You need the ability to determine BPA foremost before you can select that player and the current regime is woefully lacking in such an ability. Shoot, I'd wager there are at least 30 members of this forum that could assemble a team better than these clowns and I am not joking in the least. 

Edited by Chump Bailey
  • Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

8 minutes ago, Chump Bailey said:

You need the ability to determine BPA foremost before you can select that player and the current regime is woefully lacking in such an ability. Shoot, I'd wager there are at least 30 members of this forum that could assemble a team better than these clowns and I am not joking in the least. 

I think everyone agrees and every comment is made with the understanding that new people will be utilizing the picks. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Conn said:

I think everyone agrees and every comment is made with the understanding that new people will be utilizing the picks. 

I sure hope that's the case. Also, while I'm sure most of the coaches will be gone, Ron's path is still much in question and there is a possibility, perhaps not a strong one, that remnants of the FO remain in place for another year. 

Edited by Chump Bailey

59 minutes ago, Chump Bailey said:

I sure hope that's the case. Also, while I'm sure most of the coaches will be gone, Ron's path is still much in question and there is a possibility, perhaps not a strong one, that remnants of the FO remain in place for another year. 

I don’t think there’s any real reason to believe that’s a possibility, even a minor one. Why?

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Conn said:

I don’t think there’s any real reason to believe that’s a possibility, even a minor one. Why?

I think the possibility exists where someone is kept on to help the new owners become acclimated to the league but I personally believe it is possible while not probable. 

1 hour ago, Chump Bailey said:

I’ve said the same about Ron, does Harris keep him around in some advisory capacity. Before anyone piles in, no I don’t advocate that move at all. But could Ron retire from coaching and take up an another short term role here, I wouldn’t fully discount that…..yet. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Chump Bailey said:

I think the possibility exists where someone is kept on to help the new owners become acclimated to the league but I personally believe it is possible while not probable. 

Really no reason to think they’d do something so unconventional when cleaning house. Only someone at an executive level would be able to “help” ownership acclimate and those guys are toast. Whoever they hire next will continue to introduce Harris to the league. 

On the business side, Wright could very well stick around as much as people won’t want to hear that. But contained to what they have him doing instead of being the defacto face of Snyder’s PR team, who cares. 

Harris was a minority share owner for the Steelers before this btw, in addition to the other sports teams he owns obviously. He’s not totally new to the NFL 

Edited by Conn
  • Like 1

PFF

https://www.pff.com/news/draft-2024-nfl-mock-draft-four-quarterbacks-first-round-caleb-williams-bears-drake-maye-patriots

FIRST ROUND

1. CHICAGO BEARS (VIA CAR): QB CALEB WILLIAMS, USC

The Bears can reset their quarterback contract window here, and they should do so. Williams has recorded elite offensive grades in each of his three seasons of college football. This season is his lowest (90.3) due to the highest turnover-worthy play rate of his career (3.5%). He is capable of magical high-end plays, but there is no doubt he has to play more on schedule and in structure, on top of improving his ball security, to be able to showcase those out-of-structure plays in the NFL.

2. NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS: QB DRAKE MAYE, NORTH CAROLINA

The Patriots are completely lost on offense, with no identity and no quarterback to build around. Maye has established himself as one of the top gunslingers in college football over the past two years. He made 38 big-time throws for an 8.7% big-time throw rate last season and has 32 such throws this year at a 7.5% clip. In both seasons, he recorded a sub-2.0% turnover-worthy play rate. Maye brings pro-level ability as a passer in all situations.

3. ARIZONA CARDINALS: WR MARVIN HARRISON JR., OHIO STATE

Wide receiver isn’t the biggest need for the Cardinals, but Harrison is the best player on the board in this scenario. You could make that case for him at the very top of the draft, too. There simply isn’t much you can point to for MHJ that isn’t already at an NFL-caliber level — his size, speed, smoothness, route running, reliable hands and football IQ are all ready for the pros. His evaluation is simple: Draft him, and he’ll be your WR1.

4. WASHINGTON COMMANDERS: T OLU FASHANU, PENN STATE

The Commanders could certainly entertain a quarterback with a top-10 pick, but with Williams and Maye off the board, they grab an ace in the trenches instead. Fashanu has rare movement skills in pass protection for a 6-foot-6, 320-pounder. He has never recorded a single-season pass-blocking grade below 84.0, posting an 88.4 mark in that category this season to pair with a career-best 70.5 run-blocking grade.

5. CHICAGO BEARS: EDGE LAIATU LATU, UCLA

The Bears have done a nice job accumulating talent in the offensive trenches, and they need to do the same on defense. They currently have the lowest team pass-rushing grade and are tied for the fewest sacks.

Latu has been the most productive edge rusher in the FBS over the past two seasons. He has the highest pass-rush grade (93.9), the second-most pressures (128) and the fourth-best pass-rush win rate (21.6%). His consistent production puts him at the top of the class.

6. NEW YORK GIANTS: WR MALIK NABERS, LSU

The Giants could also take a peek at the 2024 quarterback class here, but instead of taking QB3, which feels like a reach, I have them grabbing their next WR1.

Nabers has been one of the most productive pass-catchers in college football this season. The 6-foot, 200-pound receiver boasts a 93.2 receiving grade and more than 1,500 receiving yards. For more of a traits-based data point, he is in the 74th percentile of separation created, showing how often he can manufacture space for the quarterback to throw as one of the best route runners in the class.

7. NEW YORK JETS: T JOE ALT, NOTRE DAME

It looks like we won’t see Aaron Rodgers this season after all. This upcoming offseason is all about the Jets building up their playoff chances with him in 2024.

Sometimes when an offensive tackle is 6-foot-8 and 320 pounds, as Alt is, you’ll see all sorts of balance or weight distribution issues, not to mention a lack of leverage in the trenches. But that’s not the case with Alt. His footwork is fluid, and his balance allows him to generate power from his lower body through his hands in a smooth fashion. He has been a three-year starter for the Fighting Irish and is a pro-ready left tackle.

8. TENNESSEE TITANS: T JC LATHAM, ALABAMA

This should be an offensive trenches pick for the Titans. And luckily for them, there are plenty of potential matches in the top 10.

Latham is a massive offensive tackle prospect at 360 pounds, but he looks like a dancing bear with how well he can move at that weight. His sheer size provides a plus in the running game and when displacing defensive linemen via combo blocks or single blocks. He has played as both a right guard and a right tackle during his college career.

9. NEW ORLEANS SAINTS: QB JAYDEN DANIELS, LSU

The Saints are still just one game back from the NFC South lead and hosting a playoff game, but they are far too inconsistent (and far too frustrating) to feel confident about them beyond this season. They need a complete and total reset, and that means picking a quarterback.

Daniels is the biggest riser in the draft class to this point. An afterthought for many going into the year, Daniels had a Heisman-worthy season at LSU. He recorded elite season grades as a passer and a runner to garner the top overall quarterback grade in the FBS (94.7). He has drastically improved both how he takes care of the football (see 2022) and how he sees the field and executes big-time plays (see 2023).

10. TAMPA BAY BUCCANEERS: TE BROCK BOWERS, GEORGIA

An edge rusher would be a good pick here for the Buccaneers, but Bowers is a top-five talent in the class, and the opportunity to draft him at this point is too good to pass up. He has recorded elite overall offensive grades in each of the past three seasons as the top tight end in college football. He immediately improves both the run and pass games for Tampa’s offense.

2 hours ago, Conn said:

Really no reason to think they’d do something so unconventional when cleaning house. Only someone at an executive level would be able to “help” ownership acclimate and those guys are toast. Whoever they hire next will continue to introduce Harris to the league. 

On the business side, Wright could very well stick around as much as people won’t want to hear that. But contained to what they have him doing instead of being the defacto face of Snyder’s PR team, who cares. 

Harris was a minority share owner for the Steelers before this btw, in addition to the other sports teams he owns obviously. He’s not totally new to the NFL 

Thanks. Did not know that. I thought his areas were solely hockey and basketball.

• Thumb up 1