Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Mod Notice: Temp Ban if Post on Changing the Name. Per New York Times: Dan Syder Agrees to Sell Washingon Commaders for $6B

Reaper Skins

Is Magic Johnson’s part ownership mainly for optics? Or does he have actual money like that? From what I’ve read Harris is somewhat of a quiet dude. While Magic will handle most of the interviews? Is Magic that well respected as a business man? Just honestly curious about his part of ownership. Because it’s sort of random to me, though I do not mind at all. 

9 minutes ago, max21 said:

Is Magic Johnson’s part ownership mainly for optics? Or does he have actual money like that? From what I’ve read Harris is somewhat of a quiet dude. While Magic will handle most of the interviews? Is Magic that well respected as a business man? Just honestly curious about his part of ownership. Because it’s sort of random to me, though I do not mind at all. 

He put in if I recall 240 million, which is 4% of the team.  That was if I recall more than triple of his investment in the Dodgers yet he became that ownership's defacto spokesperson.

Successful business person, too.

Huge get in this new ownership group IMO.

https://www.success.com/magic-johnsons-fast-break-into-business/

The start of Magic Johnson’s business career

Thus began the business career of a man who, just 23 years later, in 2009, was hailed by Ebony magazine as one of the most influential Black business leaders in America. Built over the past 36 years, Beverly Hills, California-based Magic Johnson Enterprises has owned and operated gyms, movie theaters and other businesses during its decades-long history.

“I learned a couple of great lessons there with Michael Ovitz,” Johnson says. “The first is that if you want to be successful, you have to be willing to use every connection you’ve got. It is a funny story how that meeting came about. During a Lakers game the season before, I was standing on the sidelines getting ready to pass the ball inbounds. There were two businessmen I respect—[chairman and CEO of Mandalay Entertainment Group and Tell to Win author] Peter Guber and [music industry executive] Joe Smith—who were sitting there courtside and were huge fans. I looked over and asked, ‘How do I get into business?’ It probably wasn’t the best place to ask, but they could tell I was honestly looking for help, so later they arranged for me to meet Michael Ovitz.”

“The second thing I learned is that if you want someone to be your mentor, you better be ready to listen and be humbled,” Johnson says. “Michael wasn’t sure about working with me because so many athletes think they can move right into business and never take anyone’s advice. I had to prove to him I was serious and that I would listen.”

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Thumb up 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Dan T. said:

Maybe somebody who was at the Bullpen or Old Ox Brewery can confirm this...

I was told that when the sale became official, Josh Harris arranged for a round of beers for everybody at those two events, on him.

If true, that is a cool gesture and one hell of a good omen for how he is going to prioritize the fans of the team.

Here it is:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 4

28 minutes ago, ixcuincle said:

I mean I'd be there if it weren't for a little something called work

Work is highly overrated. :P

3 minutes ago, Rocky21 said:

I'm up on YouTube, Facebook and the website.  Nuthin' yet.

I'm on ABC 7.  Lots of empty chairs and some interesting music.

I wonder who, if anybody is going to MC this?