Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Mod Notice: Temp Ban if Post on Changing the Name. Per New York Times: Dan Syder Agrees to Sell Washingon Commaders for $6B

Reaper Skins

40 minutes ago, Cool Hwhip said:

The news about these additional investors is all gravy to me. Just want this **** signed and sealed as soon as it can be.

Just reading these bios about the buyers shows how business savvy these guys are...compare that to our current bozo owner, who has never shown any such business acumen...he got lucky during the dotcom boom, that's all...and he's learned NOTHING in 24 years.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

For real question, if Harris is the 30% owner, then he'll have a plurality of the franchise but nowhere near a majority.  How will decisions get made?  I'm not joking, I'm just used to there being an owner, not 18ish.  It's gonna be all 31 flavors from Baskin Robbins on someone's desk.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, NewCliche21 said:

For real question, if Harris is the 30% owner, then he'll have a plurality of the franchise but nowhere near a majority.  How will decisions get made?  I'm not joking, I'm just used to there being an owner, not 18ish.  It's gonna be all 31 flavors from Baskin Robbins on someone's desk.

Seems like there is also risk one of the larger share holders getting pissed and buying out others to surpass Josh and taking over. Depends on what they agree to in the partnership agreement but a 30% share does come with potential issues.

However, Harris has been around the block so he probably knows what he’s doing. Will be interesting to see what the details are. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, NewCliche21 said:

So, the way these deals can be structured is essentially you have shares which dictate ownership percentage, but you can also have a differnt class of shares, often called voting shares, and the two don’t have to be equivalent in a private company. 

So board positions and voting shares are different than ownership percentage.  My guess is Josh Harris is controlling all of that.  

It’s all the structure of the deal.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3
  • Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

Yeah, there’s a reason these partners are being reported as “limited partners”. Harris will be the managing partner, and have the voting shares essentially. The NFL needs to approve any sale, including partial sales—so a “hostile takeover” situation isn’t really possible even if they were going to be voting shares with power. But they aren’t. Or at least, that’s how these things are usually structured. 

• Like 3
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

Another Ivy Leaguer in the mix, Harvard.  Compared to Dan dropping out of college and bragging that he doesn't do business plans for his businesses.

https://www.iiss.org/en/governance/the-advisory-council/alejandro-santo-domingo/

Alejandro Santo Domingo

Chairman of Grupo Empresarial Bavaria; Managing Director, Quadrant Capital Advisors; Member of the Advisory Council, IISS

Alejandro Santo Domingo is a Senior Managing Director at Quadrant Capital Advisors in New York City. He is also a member of the board of Anheuser-Busch InBev. He was a member of the Board of Directors of SABMiller Plc, where he was also Vice-Chairman of SABMiller Plc for Latin America. Mr Santo Domingo is Chairman of the Board of Bavaria S.A. in Colombia. He is Chairman of the Board of Valorem, a company which manages a diverse portfolio of industrial and media assets in Latin America. Mr Santo Domingo is also a director of JDE Peet’s N.V., Contour Global plc, Life Time Inc., Florida Crystals, the world's largest sugar refiner, Caracol TV, Colombia's leading broadcaster, El Espectador, a leading Colombian daily newspaper, and Cine Colombia, Colombia's leading film distribution and movie theatre company. 

In the non-profit sector, Mr Santo Domingo is Chair of the Wildlife Conservation Society and Fundación Mario Santo Domingo. He is also a Member of the Board of Trustees of the Metropolitan Museum of Art, a Member of the Board of Channel Thirteen/WNET (PBS), a Member of the Board of DKMS; a foundation dedicated to finding donors for leukaemia patients, and a Member of the Board of Fundación Pies Descalzos. He is a Member of Harvard University’s Global Advisory Council (GAC). Mr Santo Domingo is a Member of the Board of Trustees of the Mount Sinai Health System.

Mr Santo Domingo is a graduate of Harvard College.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daniel_Snyder

...I don't have a five-year plan...I don't have a blueprint for almost any of my businesses."

...In 2005, he bought 12% of the stock of amusement park operator Six Flags through his private equity company RedZone Capital. He later gained control of the board, placing his friend and ESPN executive Mark Shapiro as CEO and himself as chairman.[3] In April 2009, the New York Stock Exchange delisted Six Flags' stock as it had fallen below the minimal market capitalization.[78] In June 2009, Six Flags announced that the company was delaying a $15 million debt payment and two weeks later, Six Flags filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection.[79] As part of the reorganization, 92% of the company ended up in the hands of their lenders[80] with Snyder and Shapiro being removed from their positions.[81]

Edited by Skinsinparadise

7 hours ago, Conn said:

Yeah, there’s a reason these partners are being reported as “limited partners”. Harris will be the managing partner, and have the voting shares essentially. The NFL needs to approve any sale, including partial sales—so a “hostile takeover” situation isn’t really possible even if they were going to be voting shares with power. But they aren’t. Or at least, that’s how these things are usually structured. 

A hostile takeover of ownership isn’t possible in the NFL because the ownership has to approve any transaction that involves a change in ownership in any way.

However, you bring up a good point.  If somehow Harris agreed to have less than 51% of the voting shares, which meant he didn’t control the board or the voting, he could be overruled in management decisions.

Also, it might be possible for the board to vote and change voting share allocations.  Which the NFL probably cares about…. 

But all of this is extremely standard stuff. None of it is remotely new or hard to do.  The lawyers will set up the structure and make a lot of money on it.  

The first rule of financial transactions: the lawyers always get paid.  

1 minute ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

A hostile takeover of ownership isn’t possible in the NFL because the ownership has to approve any transaction that involves a change in ownership in any way.

This is almost a precise repetition of what I said, that you quoted, lol. We don’t disagree. 

1 minute ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

However, you bring up a good point.  If somehow Harris agreed to have less than 51% of the voting shares, which meant he didn’t control the board or the voting, he could be overruled in management decisions.

You’re right that the lawyers will figure this all out and it won’t be a problem we have to worry about. It’s already been reported that Harris will be the managing owner. The rest are just wallets and connections, which should be useful. 

9 hours ago, NewCliche21 said:

I wouldn't worry about it.

This Harris fella has been a part of and owned enough sports teams to know what he is doing.

I doubt he'll put himself in a position where owner decisions become eternal squabbles.

I think it'll be fine.

I'm really liking this ownership group he has put together.

I also echo what has said, the partners are probably dished out as different shares levels. 

Just because they are investors doesnt mean they have a voice. It means they have faith in the ones that do have a voice and are willing to put more capital behind their vision.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Another Ivy Leaguer in the mix, Harvard.  Compared to Dan dropping out of college and bragging that he doesn't do business plans for his businesses.

There are many successful business people who didn’t go to college or dropped out of college.  I think Zuckerberg, Jobs and Gates  all started their companies and don’t graduate college. But they all built empires.

The difference is they were revolutionary brilliant thinkers who advanced technology and business practices. 

Bezos graduated summa cum laude from Princeton. Musk went to Penn.  

There are a lot of different paths to success.

Dan started down a good path and then veered off the road and drove his car into a lake and it sunk to the bottom. 

1 hour ago, Conn said:

This is almost a precise repetition of what I said, that you quoted, lol. We don’t disagree. 

I was agreeing as background to the second point which was more on the voting share takeover, which was a really good point you made.  Not trying to plagiarize.

• Like 1

Having all these guys sign on to the ownership group is a good thing, not a sign of trouble. It means that savvy business people like what they see and want to be part of it.

I also think this is the future of the NFL, unless they let corporations start buying teams. The days of the absolute majority shareholder may be coming to an end, unless you get a Bezos type involved. The teams are worth too much now to have a big enough pool of majority buyers to draw from.

Edited by profusion
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

...I don't have a five-year plan...I don't have a blueprint for almost any of my businesses."

...In 2005, he bought 12% of the stock of amusement park operator Six Flags through his private equity company RedZone Capital. He later gained control of the board, placing his friend and ESPN executive Mark Shapiro as CEO and himself as chairman.[3] In April 2009, the New York Stock Exchange delisted Six Flags' stock as it had fallen below the minimal market capitalization.[78] In June 2009, Six Flags announced that the company was delaying a $15 million debt payment and two weeks later, Six Flags filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection.[79] As part of the reorganization, 92% of the company ended up in the hands of their lenders[80] with Snyder and Shapiro being removed from their positions.[81]

Hey Dan...

360_F_20596295_tmjLAXudcMZ8StFyLliR0yzZS4TpY56I.jpg

• Haha 5

45 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

There are many successful business people who didn’t go to college or dropped out of college.  I think Zuckerberg, Jobs and Gates  all started their companies and don’t graduate college. But they all built empires.

The difference is they were revolutionary brilliant thinkers who advanced technology and business practices. 

Bezos graduated summa cum laude from Princeton. Musk went to Penn.  

There are a lot of different paths to success.

Agree and I doubt there is a soul on this board who doesn't know the Jobs, Gates stories which have been told to death, hard to miss it, they are practically American cultural iconic stories.  I'd guess the average middle schooler knows, too.

My point was the Ivy league-business successes, juxtaposed with the college drop out (not from an Ivy League school) AND I don't do business plans AND his business failures.  That's why they were all in that same post.

Edited by Skinsinparadise

10 hours ago, NewCliche21 said:

I think this makes the likelihood that they hire the best GM they can find and leave him to run the ****ing thing that much higher honestly. They are not going to want to fight over everything they do. So fight over the right guy to do the things and then fire him if he doesn't do it right. 

• Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1

12 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

The 1st Duke of Wellington was not of the royal family. He was Arthur Wellesley who was the British general who defeated Napoleons French armies in Spain and Portugal and then finally Napoleon himself at Waterloo.

He was made a Duke for his military service and the title passes down. But being of that family does not make someone a ‘royal’. To be considered part of the royal family you need to be an immediate relative in some way of the reigning monarch. All other titles are considered part of the ‘nobility’.

Thank you for listening to my TED talk. 

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, MartinC said:

The 1st Duke of Wellington was not of the royal family. He was Arthur Wellesley who was the British general who defeated Napoleons French armies in Spain and Portugal and then finally Napoleon himself at Waterloo.

He was made a Duke for his military service and the title passes down. But being of that family does not make someone a ‘royal’. To be considered part of the royal family you need to be an immediate relative in some way of the reigning monarch. All other titles are considered part of the ‘nobility’.

Thank you for listening to my TED talk. 

I first read this as Arthur Weasley. HAHA.

• Haha 4