Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Trump on Trial (Trump indicted for a fourth time in Georgia. Expands his record of most indictments by a former president)

Cooked Crack

Will Trump be convicted in any of his cases?  

31 members have voted

1. 1. Will Trump be convicted in any of his cases?

• Yes. He's going 4 for 4. (including Georgia)
    • He's going to lose 3
    • Two for sure
    • He's only going to get convicted in one
    • No. He's going to skate

This poll is closed to new votes

2 hours ago, Bang said:

Is the court unable to actually move on what seems to be a crime in and of itself?

~Bang

well yes, it can. 

i know I sound like a broken record … but everyone has to dot their i’s and cross their t’s; except trump. He gets to to dial his antics up to 10. He’s going to go above and beyond and push the limits constantly. He’s going to try to turn this into a circus. He has no other options. 

meanwhile everyone else has to deal with the fact they’re part of a system going after a former president for trying to overthrow the government. He’s leading the gop polls and has a loyal cult of a following. He’s going to make a circus of it. And they’ve all got to walk a tight rope to produce a trial that ends in conviction that holds up to appeal. 

we’re not a week into what will likely be a long process. my mindset is to sit back and watch the show. There’s really no point in getting worked up over any of the steps along the way. 

yes, the defense gets time to respond. The prosecution can try emergency stuff, maybe they will. Will the judge actually put him in jail for continuing to threaten people? Maybe. Let’s see what happens.  

Honestly, I’d love him to sit in jail cause he can’t stop running his mouth. That’d be fantastic. 

• Like 3
  • Thumb up 1

13 minutes ago, tshile said:

They’re not clowns. Their goal is and has been to delay. They will continue to ask for things to be pushed further out. 

this is the guy he hired specifically for the dc case

https://www.tampabay.com/news/florida-politics/2023/07/21/john-lauro-trump-defense-election-lawyer-tampa/

My understanding is he’s a solid lawyer. Not trying to puff him up too much, just pointing out he’s not a clown. They just have nothing to work with. Trump continually works to makes his situations worse. 

I really don't mean to argue the point.

If Donald J. Trump is your client, you're a clown.  Because he doesn't pay and he doesn't listen. 

Just sayin'.  (And not meaning to be sarcastic, either.) 

Permission to enter facts into evidence, your Honor?  I'm absolutely positive that no one on his team said, "yeah, let her rip!  hit everyone you can!" 

But he did.  And now he's facing a hearing where he could be remanded. 

38 minutes ago, tshile said:

They’re not clowns. Their goal is and has been to delay. They will continue to ask for things to be pushed further out. 

https://www.tampabay.com/news/florida-politics/2023/07/21/john-lauro-trump-defense-election-lawyer-tampa/

My understanding is he’s a solid lawyer. Not trying to puff him up too much, just pointing out he’s not a clown. They just have nothing to work with. Trump continually works to makes his situations worse. 

Yeah, he's so good that he shot his mouth off on TV acceding that one of the charges is true. Just some sarcasm for the folks out there.

27 minutes ago, tshile said:

Oh well ok then. 

Were you wanting to talk about law? 

Because the judge explicitly told him to not commit further crimes, not speak to other witnesses without their counsel present, and not to intimidate jurors. 

He's already intimidating jurors, and he's yelling at Mike Pence through the stupid megaphone he has, which is clearly a violation of specification #2. He has violated his bond regulations. 

We'll see what the judge says on Monday.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, @DCGoldPants said:

Pence has an opportunity to destroy this guy if he wants it via this trial. He's not winning ****. He's already disliked by basically everyone now. Selfishly, he probably could lay low for a few years after saying in no uncertain terms that he was pushed to do illegal things and if MAGA dies, try to rehab himself as a savior of the GOP. It would be a lie about himself. But he should try it. 

Maga isn't going anywhere, sadly. This type of **** can't be turned off. No idea why he has not fled the country yet. If they take over again, he has to know his best odds are a lifetime in a cold cell somewhere. 

Edited by Mr. Sinister
  • Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

5 hours ago, Mr. Sinister said:

Maga isn't going anywhere, sadly. This type of **** can't be turned off. No idea why he has not fled the country yet. If they take over again, he has to know his best odds are a lifetime in a cold cell somewhere. 

Nobody else running for office has been able to duplicate what he's done. If he dropped dead today, there would be many who try to fill his lifts, but who has the same hold on those people? I think if he were gone today, MAGA would try to survive but with each election cycle, would lose more and more. 

• Like 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

11 hours ago, tshile said:

11 hours ago, skinsmarydu said:

I really don't mean to argue the point.

If Donald J. Trump is your client, you're a clown.  Because he doesn't pay and he doesn't listen. 

Just sayin'.  (And not meaning to be sarcastic, either.) 

Permission to enter facts into evidence, your Honor?  I'm absolutely positive that no one on his team said, "yeah, let her rip!  hit everyone you can!" 

But he did.  And now he's facing a hearing where he could be remanded. 

10 hours ago, LadySkinsFan said:

Yeah, he's so good that he shot his mouth off on TV acceding that one of the charges is true. Just some sarcasm for the folks out there.

Donald Trump’s Lawyer Is Dumber Than Donald Trump

Donald Trump has had quite a run of lawyers. There’s Alina Habba, the camera-hungry counsel who decided to hold a news conference before Trump’s arraignment yesterday and ranted about Hunter Biden before admitting, one presumes accidentally: “I think that everybody was made aware that he lost the election, but that doesn’t mean that was the only advice he was given.”

They’ve been a clown show almost top to bottom, but it looks like John Lauro, who’s taken the public lead this week, is topping them all. He started the week peddling the free speech argument against the indictment, which has been pulverized by many people, such that I don’t even need to go into it. But just to toss in my own quick two cents: If I say to John that Jeff is a terrible person and should die, that’s free speech; if I say to John that Jeff is terrible person and we should conspire to murder him, that’s criminal intent. Pretty simple.

But Lauro really outdid himself Thursday night on Laura Ingraham’s show. Early in his segment, he said to Ingraham that before January 6, Trump had voiced his support for Mike Pence to refuse to certify the Electoral College votes and send the presidential election back to the states. Then, a little later, Lauro said: “What President Trump said is, ‘Let’s go with option D. Let’s just halt, let’s just pause the voting and allow the state legislatures to take one last look and make a determination as to whether or not the elections were handled fairly.’ That’s constitutional law. That’s not an issue of criminal activity.”

Um … whut? That is exactly an admission of criminal activity! It’s an admission that Trump was urging Pence to violate the Electoral Count Act, which requires him to preside ceremonially over the counting and approve it. In fact, Lauro was describing a conversation that is recorded in the indictment! Go look. It’s in paragraph 93: “The Defendant and Co-Conspirator 2 then asked the Vice President to either unilaterally reject the legitimate electors from the seven targeted states, or send the question of which slate was legitimate to the targeted states’ legislatures.”

Over on MSNBC, they were quick to pounce. “That is a Trump criminal defense lawyer quoting Donald Trump committing a crime,” said Lawrence O’Donnell.

https://news.yahoo.com/donald-trump-lawyer-dumber-donald-141138176.html

• Like 2

I read an article about the difficulties of actually jailing Trump if convicted. Seems requiring a secret service details brings out all kinds of complications for a prison to deal with. Might not ever happen even if by some miracle a conviction stands. 

13 minutes ago, HOF44 said:

I read an article about the difficulties of actually jailing Trump if convicted. Seems requiring a secret service details brings out all kinds of complications for a prison to deal with. Might not ever happen even if by some miracle a conviction stands. 

This is America.  We put a man on the moon.  I'm confident we can figure out a way to put a criminal in prison.

• Like 6
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

13 minutes ago, HOF44 said:

The federal government has a lot of experience in jailing someone who also requires protection.  I'm sure they can figure it out. 

But if he is even convicted, I could see him being confined to Maralago pending appeals that take until he dies.

• Like 1

Just now, Jabbyrwock said:

This is America.  We put a man on the moon.  I'm confident we can figure out a way to put a criminal in prison.

Here is an idea. Solitary where you just need a Secret Service guy on duty in whatever guard room to watch him on camera 24/7. Or..... might be time to remove that protection all together. 

17 minutes ago, HOF44 said:

3 minutes ago, Jabbyrwock said:

2 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

The federal government has a lot of experience in jailing someone who also requires protection.  I'm sure they can figure it out. 

But if he is even convicted, I could see him being confined to Maralago pending appeals that take until he dies.

2 minutes ago, @DCGoldPants said:

Here is an idea. Solitary where you just need a Secret Service guy on duty in whatever guard room to watch him on camera 24/7. Or..... might be time to remove that protection all together. 

I don't think I knew this. However, it did occur during my junior & senior years in HS when massive amounts of herb was being consumed...

• Like 2

17 hours ago, @DCGoldPants said:

Pence has an opportunity to destroy this guy if he wants it via this trial. He's not winning ****. He's already disliked by basically everyone now. Selfishly, he probably could lay low for a few years after saying in no uncertain terms that he was pushed to do illegal things and if MAGA dies, try to rehab himself as a savior of the GOP. It would be a lie about himself. But he should try it. 

he should definitely try it but it will always be tough to be named Mike Pence and have a political future in the “hang Mike Pence” party  

42 minutes ago, HOF44 said:

Theres that and there is also the fact that a lot of judges in the country are hesitant to toss old people in prison because it can so easily end up being a life sentence 

• Haha 1

You try to overthrow government of a nation, you get tried in the Capital.
and, if we're lucky, executed in the Capital, thus removing the worry about what to do with his SS ..   err.. Secret Service detail.
Send them home.

To the above discussion,, i get they really really want an airtight case, with all T's and i's dotted, and I get why.
But a threat is a threat, no? I really  can't see how his "i'll come after you" comment can be interpreted any other way.

~Bang

Edited by Bang
  • Like 5
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 4

Mike Pence does not rule out being witness for Trump's prosecution

Former Republican Vice President Mike Pence on Sunday did not rule out being a prosecution witness if his ex-boss Donald Trump goes to trial on charges of orchestrating a criminal conspiracy to try to reverse his defeat in the 2020 presidential election.

Asked on Sunday on CBS's "Face the Nation" if he would be a witness against Trump if the case goes to trial, Pence said he had "no plans" to testify but did not rule it out.

"But people can be confident we'll obey the law. We'll respond to the call of law, if it comes, and we'll just tell the truth," said Pence, who is running against Trump in the 2024 Republican presidential nominating contest.

Trump's lawyer, John Lauro, said he will welcome Pence's testimony if the former vice president decided to do so. Lauro argued in a series of TV interviews on Sunday any actions Trump took after the 2020 election were "aspirational asks," protected by free speech.

"Mike Pence will be one of our best witnesses at trial," Lauro said on Sunday in an interview on ABC's "This Week."

"I cannot wait until I have the opportunity to cross-examine Mr. Pence, because what he will do is completely eliminate any doubt that Mr. Trump, President Trump, firmly believed that the election irregularities had led to inappropriate results," Lauro said.

Click on the link for the full article

• Haha 1

One of the Watergate defendants fought his conviction based off of venue and publicity and an Appeals Court ruled it was not an issue..  ie. he wasn't hurt by keeping the venue in DC.  The Enron CEO also appealed his conviction in Houston.  That case made it to SCOTUS, and they ruled 6-3 that denial of venue change didn't prejudice the jury. 

Alito, Roberts and Thomas all joined the opinion that the venue was acceptable.  They ruled that a city the size of Houston could find a jury that was not prejudiced (versus a small town).  Sotomayor wrote the dissent that opinion that due to the collapse of Enron and hostility that emerged, the venue should have changed.  There were a couple different questions raised to the SCOTUS and not just venue.

• Thanks 1