Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official 2023 ES Free Agency Thread... available until Free Agency 2024 begins

Riggo-toni

20 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Don't love only trading Young for a 3rd rounder. And to the 49ers as well, so that'll be a super low 3rd(essentially a 4th).

It's more than I expected. I figured we might be able to get a 4th, or a late 3rd. The patriots rumors gave me hope that maybe we get an early 3rd (probably late sixties to early 70's). The guy is a FA after this year, barring the Franchise Tag, and we clearly didn't want to tag him or to give him the 5th year option. So essentially we were stuck, and were never gonna get comp likely to be more than a 3rd. Its disappointing, but getting two picks that are top 40ish, and top 90ish, in addition to our pick that's likely to be a lock top 10 pick at this point aint too bad.

Also needs to be noted, gutting our edge rush, w/a horrible secondary, means we radically improved the tank. Now add inevitable OL injuries, and this team could really implode down the stretch. I just hope it doesn't take Howell down while it collapses around the FO. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Going Commando said:

You think Josh Harris knows what's best for the long term health of the franchise?  A neophyte who knows absolutely nothing about football or team building.  Dude couldn't even appear sober or string a coherent sentence together as Troy Aikman and Joe Buck tried to baby step him through a softball interview.  He doesn't know the first ****ing thing about running an NFL team, and here he is forcing trades of two of our best players at his first ****ing trade deadline.

You can rationalize this any way you want, and tell yourself that it won't happen again.  Harris has crossed a line that should be unacceptable to any fan who watched the Snyder era unfold.

Yes I do. Because he's owned two other sports franchises and seen both of them go from losers to at least solid winners. Football may not be hockey or basketball but the same principles apply when it comes to knowing when to bottom out and trying to set up a future where you can win championships instead of just trying to strive for 9-8 and a Wild Card and then watching the players walk away for nothing in FA. Hes maximizing assets and doing whats in the franchise's best interest long term. He's taking a cold ruthless approach and I personally love it.

This is nowhere near the same as Snyder coming off his yacht and demanding a coach/FO that HE hired draft a QB. If you can't see that then I don't know what to tell you.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

What I'm curious about is, what kind of contract does Young get next season.  And is it from SF?  If all you're giving up is a compensatory 3rd, kinda lessens the need to justify having to re-sign him.  Get him for the SB run, see how it goes.  

Edited by justice98

4 minutes ago, bearrock said:

Do we actually know that it was Harris that ordered the trades?  

I’m not sure ordered is the proper word.

But there is absolutely zero incentive for Ron to throw up the white flag on both the season and likely his career as a football coach in an effort to fill the cupboard for the next guy.

Edited by BatteredFanSyndrome
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, bearrock said:

Do we actually know that it was Harris that ordered the trades?  

I don't think he ordered the trades or made them on his own behind anyone's back. My guess is he, or someone representing him and the new owners, instructed the coaches/FO to explore trade options for Young and Sweat(among others). When they heard of the potential offers, they gave the go ahead to make the trades.

People forget, we tried to trade Young before the draft, well BEFORE Harris took over. This idea that he just came in and started trading people without anyone's knowledge is a little silly.

4 minutes ago, Going Commando said:

You think Josh Harris knows what's best for the long term health of the franchise?  A neophyte who knows absolutely nothing about football or team building.  Dude couldn't even appear sober or string a coherent sentence together as Troy Aikman and Joe Buck tried to baby step him through a softball interview.  He doesn't know the first ****ing thing about running an NFL team, and here he is forcing trades of two of our best players at his first ****ing trade deadline.

You can rationalize this any way you want, and tell yourself that it won't happen again.  Harris has crossed a line that should be unacceptable to any fan who watched the Snyder era unfold.

Okay.

Looks like he wants to hoard draft picks.

What's the problem with that?  

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, DazedSkinsfan said:

The board is moving so fast and I'm busy at work but we traded Sweat for a 2nd and Young for a 3rd?? So we will have two 2nds and two 3rds this year, am I correct??

And probably someone on staff by then who can make some really great choices with those picks. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, KDawg said:

What is really interesting is Chase is likely going to SF as a rental for a Super Bowl run before he hits the open market. I wonder if he’d come back… if the deal is right…

If Purdy doesn't revert to his earlier form, they're going to have to win eveyr game 17-15 just like we have tried to do for years.  So, good pickup, I guess, from that perspective.

I'm placing bets they see how it plays out and then they either franchise him or let him walk.  I don't see them giving him a big contract.  

18 minutes ago, Jumbo said:

Today is one of those very rare days where I can say as a Washington Commanders fan that it's a good day to be a Washington Commanders fan. 😛

Sad that "blow it up day and trade your 1st round picks" is a "makes me smile" day.

16 minutes ago, FootballZombie said:

Don't like this trade at all.

Its official now. Harris is going full process.

Blowing it all up

Ron and Chase have been passive aggressive against each other for years.  His injury history and lack of consistent production + Ron's desire to probably not see him for the remaining 1-8 games he coaches probably drove the trade.  

16 minutes ago, Conn said:

Would have preferred both 3rds, but I’ll take it. He wasn’t going to be worth what he demanded and might have a degenerative knee issue. I don’t think he was respected in the locker room by the team leaders. Also just seems like a clown who will never be as good as he could be (his best chance is now that he’s on a studly roster, but will he play his assignment?) based on his father’s interview. 

Good luck to him but I’m glad Purdy has been coming down to earth recently, we may not have to watch both Trent AND Young win a Super Bowl. 

I would have thought they could have gotten a 2025 - something in addition to the 3rd.  Maybe a 2025 5th?  

But SF looks like they are just treating him as a rental, and 1 3rd is all they want to give up.  Ok.  

Clearly was the best deal out there, and that says a lot of what the league thinks of Chase.  A team could have him under control easily for 1.5 seasons, and a second franchise tag wouldn't be out of the question for a DE.  Shrug.  His stock has dropped.  

16 minutes ago, Andre The Giant said:

I don't really trust Russini, but it makes sense.  

Ron says he's an eternal optimist.  I'm sure that's where the "have faith in the team" thing comes from. 

13 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

That tells its own story. 

Ownership are going to blow this front office up.

Well, in fairness, they always were.

12 minutes ago, HigSkin said:

Me either but Breer is on right now with Cowherd.

**** Cowherd sideways with a 10 foot long burning pipe up the ass. 

Bears land DE Sweat from Commanders

Commanders get: 2024 second-round pick
Bears get: DE Montez Sweat
Trade date: Oct. 31

Grade for the Bears: D-

The Bears did not learn their lesson. A year after trading a second-round pick for Chase Claypool as a noncontender, Chicago dealt another second-round pick for a player despite yet again being a noncontender. Sweat is a better player than Claypool but is also in the final year of his contract.

But independent of a comparison to last year's trade, this appears to be an egregious decision by Chicago. Let's start with the obvious: Chicago is paying major draft capital for the final nine games of Sweat's rookie contract despite the fact that it is one of the worst teams in the NFL without any hope of contention in 2023. In other words, Sweat's value this season is worthless to Chicago, and yet the Bears paid handsomely for it anyway. That should be a nonstarter.

We should also note that the selection the Bears are giving up is not just a second-round pick but also what will likely be an early second-round pick. ESPN's Football Power Index currently projects the Bears to have a 47% chance at drafting in the top five in the first round, and an 82% chance of picking in the top 10.

The upside here is that Chicago gets the right to franchise Sweat (which would be an overpay in my opinion) or the right to pay him market rate? Yikes. The Bears may well sign Sweat to a long-term deal, but make no mistake -- that should not absolve them of this move. The Bears absolutely needed pass-rush help, as they have recorded just 10 sacks all season (worst in the NFL), and edge rushers Yannick Ngakoue and DeMarcus Walker rank 45th and 54th out of 56 qualifiers in pass rush win rate at edge, respectively. In Sweat, they at least get someone who has produced sacks, with 6.5 this season.

But while he's having a strong sack season, Sweat has never produced double-digit sacks. And while the sacks are there for Sweat this season, his pass rush win rate -- which evaluates him on far more plays than just the handful that result in QB takedowns -- is way down. He has just an 8% pass rush win rate at edge this season, which ranks 52nd. He has had higher win rates than that in the past -- it was 14% in 2022 -- but he has never exceeded 18% (in 2020), which is only a shade above average for an edge rusher. Sweat is also already 27 years old, meaning there's a good chance he's at his peak and not still ascending toward it.

Regardless of the evaluation of Sweat, the Bears committed a serious team-building sin by devoting major draft capital to improving a bad, noncontending team instead of using those resources to improve their chances of being a contender in future seasons.

Grade for the Commanders: A

I'm pleasantly surprised the Commanders recognized they ought to be dealing away players at the deadline rather than acquiring them, and that they chose Sweat to be the player to trade as opposed to Chase Young. In comparison to Sweat, Young appears to be a much better long-term asset. Young is almost three years younger and has a 25% pass rush win rate at edge this season, which ranks 11th-best. Not only is that three times as high as Sweat's PRWR at edge this year, but it's also significantly better than Sweat's best PRWR in any year.

By dealing Sweat now, the Commanders are gaining future resources, which they need. It also will be helpful in their negotiation with Young, who is in the last year of his rookie deal. Had they kept Sweat and Young, they would have only been able to franchise tag one of them. Now, the threat of the tag on Young is stronger, though cornerback Kendall Fuller is a pending free agent, too. Theoretically, the Commanders might have been able to let Sweat walk in free agency and gained a compensatory selection, but that pick would have been no better than a 2025 late third-rounder -- and even that would have been far from guaranteed. Washington ranks fourth in effective cap space in 2025, per Over The Cap, so it could be a big spender in free agency, thus possibly canceling out a compensatory pick.

The cherry on top here is that this is the Bears' second-round pick, so it will very likely be early in the round.

Wrong about Chase

Edited by FrFan
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, justice98 said:

What I'm curious about is, what kind of contract does Young get next season.  And is it from SF?  If all you're giving up is a compensatory 3rd, kinda lessens the need to justify having to re-sign him.  Get him for the SB run, see how it goes.  

5 bucks says he goes to the Cardinals and is never heard from again.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Going Commando said:

So you’d prefer to keep both and get nothing in return at the end of the season when they both walk?  Got it!  That’s why we have professions and you aren’t in a managerial role with an nfl club

• Like 3
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, justice98 said:

I doubt they have much interest or ability at all to maneuver a LTD for him, this is all about building up the pass rush for January.

Putting his draft slot aside, as it doesn’t matter, Chase Young averages roughly 4 sacks per year. Part of that is due to injury, but that’s part of the game. He has 14 sacks in roughly 3.5 years while playing on a dline where offenses couldn’t double team him. He’s not worth more than a third rounder. 

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, Going Commando said:

I think it's way to early to come to this conclusion. Everything that the previous owner touched turned to crap. We need to see what comes of today's moves before trashing it.