Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official 2023 ES Free Agency Thread... available until Free Agency 2024 begins

Riggo-toni

Keim has been saying they want a  LB.  He's not mentioned that they are hunting for any O lineman.  Keim did say you never know because one year they just signed Leno out of the blue.

So I am gathering Risner or name that O lineman isn't hot on their agenda.  Heck according to Keim if anything they are looking to shed depth and will release Norwell as soon as he clears medical.

It all feels a bit nuts to me.  But I've belabored the point enough.  Hopefully, Ron it only looks crazy and you get the last laugh.  :D. I doubt it works out for him but anything is possible.  

looks like the XFL is our pool for signings right now.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 2

It’s kind of weird looking at oline depth, because, among other things, we have 3 penciled in starters (Gates, Wylie and Cosmi) that can move to/cover another spot.  So if we cut Norwell, start Paul and then he were injured, we could move Gates over and start Larsen/Stromberg, or move Wylie and start Lucas at RT.  If Wylie and Leno were injured, we could slot Lucas in at LT, Cosmi at RT, Gates or Charles take over at RG, etc.

We have Gates instead of Schweitzer, but Gates is slated to start, while Stromberg is like the reverse Schweitzer - better at C than G.  Daniels is a developmental guy, but no telling if he might be ready as an emergency T backup in 6 months.

Norwell and Turner are probably worse fits (from what little I know) under EB, so it’s shaky to compare what they would have given us this year vs last.

T - Leno, Wylie, Lucas, Cosmi, Daniels

G - Paul, Cosmi, Gates, Charles, Wylie, Stromberg (assuming Norwell is released)

C - Gates, Stromberg, Larsen

I see some potential with this group, and the overlap/flexibility is a big plus, but I’d also say the overall the talent level is questionable, and while the flexibility is great, lots of reshuffling creates cohesion headaches.  Going to be really interesting to see how it pans out.

9 minutes ago, spjunkies said:

Chase is really starting to get on my nerves. 

I was listening to Willingham, 106.7 radio host who does late night radio.  He goes to their camps and knows some around the team.

He said last night, he's heard about the rumbilings of the team having off the field issues with Chase.  Yet, he thought Chase the competitor will come to play this season.

He's the third personality who covers this team who had made vague references to Chase off the field.  Heck even Rivera has referenced Chase's immaturity again and again and again.  But lol, I'd love to know what the issues actually are?

I've heard enough that they don't love his off season committment to the team and to his craft but it feels like its something beyond that.

I love the talent that Chase has.  And from what I saw he seems like a good dude from a good family.  But something feels off.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, skinny21 said:

It’s kind of weird looking at oline depth, because, among other things, we have 3 penciled in starters (Gates, Wylie and Cosmi) that can move to/cover another spot.  So if we cut Norwell, start Paul and then he were injured, we could move Gates over and start Larsen/Stromberg, or move Wylie and start Lucas at RT.  If Wylie and Leno were injured, we could slot Lucas in at LT, Cosmi at RT, Gates or Charles take over at RG, etc.

We have Gates instead of Schweitzer, but Gates is slated to start, while Stromberg is like the reverse Schweitzer - better at C than G.  Daniels is a developmental guy, but no telling if he might be ready as an emergency T backup in 6 months.

Norwell and Turner are probably worse fits (from what little I know) under EB, so it’s shaky to compare what they would have given us this year vs last.

T - Leno, Wylie, Lucas, Cosmi, Daniels

G - Paul, Cosmi, Gates, Charles, Wylie, Stromberg (assuming Norwell is released)

C - Gates, Stromberg, Larsen

I see some potential with this group, and the overlap/flexibility is a big plus, but I’d also say the overall the talent level is questionable, and while the flexibility is great, lots of reshuffling creates cohesion headaches.  Going to be really interesting to see how it pans out.

Listening to Keim among others feels like they really don't want to put Gates at guard and see him as a better center.  I looked at his PFF grades, posted below on both spots -- don't see a major difference.  Grades are just OK at both spots but with a couple of bad games in the mix including Gates having a bad game (PFF wise) against this team at LG so maybe that game is stuck in their head.

Norwell and Turner were pure guards and they are gone or about to go.   Gates and Norwell have about an identical PFF score.

They supposedly according to Keim really like S. Charles but have concerns about his ability to stay healthy.

IMO it looks like a crappy unit both as to starting and as to depth.  But IMO the unit would look more intriguing to me if they started Stromberg.  So even though they aren't high on Gates as a guard and like him better at center -- he can play that Schwetizer role in reverse as a reserve.  Schweitzer being the better guard than center but can play both.  Stromberg to me is a bit undersized to play guard -- better suited for center.   So I don't see Stromberg in year 1 as much of a swing backup.

If they started Stromberg then you got three young guys in the middle and even if they have a rough go of it in year 1, it can set up the unit for 2024.   Too bad Cosmi can't stay healthy thus far because if I had faith in his durability the unit would feel a lot different to me.  But if Cosmi misses games I get the vibe they they won't move Wylie to guard but instead go to Charles.  But then Charles' durability is in question, too.   And this is all assuming that Paul holds the LG spot fine.  

Screen Shot 2023-05-23 at 12.07.24 PM.png

47 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I was listening to Willingham, 106.7 radio host who does late night radio.  He goes to their camps and knows some around the team.

He said last night, he's heard about the rumbilings of the team having off the field issues with Chase.  Yet, he thought Chase the competitor will come to play this season.

He's the third personality who covers this team who had made vague references to Chase off the field.  Heck even Rivera has referenced Chase's immaturity again and again and again.  But lol, I'd love to know what the issues actually are?

I've heard enough that they don't love his off season committment to the team and to his craft but it feels like its something beyond that.

I love the talent that Chase has.  And from what I saw he seems like a good dude from a good family.  But something feels off.

FO messed up by not trading him this off season while he still has some value (assuming there was interest)  By the time next off season rolls around he will have zero value... and will be gone with the rest of this sh!tty coaching staff i hope.

6 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Listening to Keim among others feels like they really don't want to put Gates at guard and see him as a better center.  I looked at his PFF grades, posted below on both spots -- don't see a major difference.  Grades are just OK at both spots but with a couple of bad games in the mix including Gates having a bad game (PFF wise) against this team at LG so maybe that game is stuck in their head.

Norwell and Turner were pure guards and they are gone or about to go.   Gates and Norwell have about an identical PFF score.

They supposedly according to Keim really like S. Charles but have concerns about his ability to stay healthy.

IMO it looks like a crappy unit both as to starting and as to depth.  But IMO the unit would look more intriguing to me if they started Stromberg.  So even though they aren't high on Gates as a guard and like him better at center -- he can play that Schwetizer role in reverse as a reserve.  Schweitzer being the better guard than center but can play both.  Stromberg to me is a bit undersized to play guard -- better suited for center.   So I don't see Stromberg in year 1 as much of a swing backup.

If they started Stromberg then you got three young guys in the middle and even if they have a rough go of it in year 1, it can set up the unit for 2024.   Too bad Cosmi can't stay healthy thus far because if I had faith in his durability the unit would feel a lot different to me.  But if Cosmi misses games I get the vibe they they won't move Wylie to guard but instead go to Charles.  But then Charles' durability is in question, too.   And this is all assuming that Paul holds the LG spot fine.  

They have a whole lot more faith in Charles than I do. I figured he'd be an early cut candidate as he has been nothing short of an utter disappointment, 

I really like Stroms potential as the future starter C. They must have faith in him at G. Gates is definitely their guy for now at C

I think if Cosmi was able to stay healthy is still savable to play RT and think he will be able to handle RG.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, spjunkies said:

Chase is really starting to get on my nerves. 

He's not on my nerves. I've already moved on from him.  Frankly, if someone wants to trade for him now or during the season and we can get at least the third round pick, we'd likely get as a comp pick; trade him.  I wouldn't offer him a new contract.   

• Like 2

My position on the topic of not attending voluntary team practices has been well documented. Although I often felt as if I was on an island however. It would be nice if Chase (and now Sweat again (sigh)) would come around to team>self in team activities.

I kinda hope that KJ gets on the starting lineup and EATS.

Edited by bowhunter

20 hours ago, DWinzit said:

They have a whole lot more faith in Charles than I do. I figured he'd be an early cut candidate as he has been nothing short of an utter disappointment, 

Apparently, i was wrong about Paul being penciled in as the starter.  Rivera said today, Charles is 1A.  Another beat guy previously mentioned that they plan to start Charles at LG, I ignored it at the time but now its gotten my attention because Ron suggested the same. 

If they plan to add a veteran in FA at the O line, Keim at least isn't privvy to it.  But will see.

Listened to a Grant-Danny segment today and it felt right off of this board -- they were goofing on the O line starters and are incredulous that this is their answer after touting how much they wanted to address the O line at the start of the off season.

Screen Shot 2023-05-24 at 4.31.14 PM.png

4 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

Charles is EBs choice. That’s why he’s getting first look. Go all the way back to EBs introductory press conference for the clue. Said that at the time......

Be interesting aside from the subpar play -- he like Cosmi can't seem to stay heathy.  Should be interesting. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Apparently, i was wrong about Paul being penciled in as the starter.  Rivera said today, Charles is 1A.  Another beat guy previously mentioned that they plan to start Charles at LG, I ignored it at the time but now its gotten my attention because Ron suggested the same. 

If they plan to add a veteran in FA at the O line, Keim at least isn't privvy to it.  But will see.

Listened to a Grant-Danny segment today and it felt right off of this board -- they were goofing on the O line starters and are incredulous that this is their answer after touting how much they wanted to address the O line at the start of the off season.

We are going to need 3 QB's this year too it looks like. Amazed they see something in Charles, cannot be his pass blocking which has sucked since he has been with the team. Do they have anybody that can pass block? 

• Like 1

Imagine being a competent average starting  or young up and coming Olineman playing in a bottom tier offense and being rated on the aggregate against guys who play in run and pass schemes and have elite QBs like Eagles, Chiefs, Ravens, Bengals, and Bills. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

The Charles love is scary. He has done little to prove anything in all his time...and was given ample opportunity. 

early on Paul had been touted for LG and seemed to be the apple of their eye. Guess that was incorrect, or this is just an effort to try to play up Charles.

He is still awfully young and had lots of talent, just never bleed onto the field.

I get any interest in Cosmi and can do the same with Paul

Wondering if EB was given an extremely small amount cap space he could use to bargain shop and he spent his cash. Now he is convincing himself he can use the dusty and rusty cans in the back of the pantry to make a great gourmet meal. 

3 hours ago, Est.1974 said:

Charles is EBs choice. That’s why he’s getting first look. Go all the way back to EBs introductory press conference for the clue. Said that at the time......

Yes you are correct. Charles and Logan Thomas, both of whom most of us on the sight would be sure fire cut victims. 

43 minutes ago, philibusters said:

PFF puts the the estimated market for Kamren Curl extension in the 3 year 40 million dollar range with about 2/3rds of that guaranteed

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-projecting-early-extension-candidates-defense-2020-nfl-draft-trevon-diggs-alex-highsmith

Yeah....I like Curl but that's a lot for a Safety(non premium position)who doesn't generate takeaways or big plays. 

• Like 1