Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official 2023 ES Free Agency Thread... available until Free Agency 2024 begins

Riggo-toni

Low key like what we did today. None of these signings are going to do anything long-term to hamper us (so far) and also fill most of our needs re: depth and upside. 

The Dantzler pickup makes me really happy. He's got a legit shot at being an impact guy as our 3rd DB. Doesn't preclude us from drafting a CB (and we still should) but it helps mask the need a bit.

We will really go into the draft able to go in any direction. I still think we prioritize OT. But so far we've done a nice job of not NEEDing anything. That's what FA is for. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Robbob said:

Cameron Dantzler claimed by the Commanders off waivers.

2020 3rd round pick by the Vikes. Started a lot of games for them - so brings experience. He also brings length at 6' 2" - but he had injuries and was inconsistent. 

9 minutes ago, TK said:

Thing is though, everyone is assuming "as a player".

No one has stopped to remember that he had originally inquired about starting his coaching career when they brought him in as the emergency COVID QB. 

:kickcan: 

Taylor on the first day of OTAs as an assistant QB coach:  “Ok, Sam, here’s what you need to do:  close your eyes tight, gather as much power as you can, heave the ball as far as you can in Terry’s general direction.  It might be 10 yards short, but he’s a beast, he’ll come back, risk getting concussed 25 times a game, and turn what should have been an easy TD with a good throw into a great contested catch. It’s amazing.  Curtis can do it also!   It’s ok to throw into triple coverage, the back judge will deck the safety. It’s amazing.   If a defender gets his hands on the ball, they will most likely drop it so it’s ok to throw into double coverage. The crowd will go nuts chanting your name because they haven’t seen a good QB for so long they have the IQ of a gnat with a learning disability. (Breaks into Hei-ni-ke chant….)

Sam: yeah, but I can throw the ball more than 6 inches…. Does all this still apply?

Taylor: yeah, ok, I got nothing for you.  

3 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Lost Edwards, drafted Dean. Lost Hargraves, drafted Davis. They're resigning CJGJ and Bradburry. 

They are going to start feeling a big cap crunch in 2-3 years.  They’re going to have to pay Hurts $40-$50/year.  Year 1 will be fine.  Year 2 and beyond is going to be tougher. 

• Thumb down 2
  • Thumb up 1

6 minutes ago, Rex Tomb said:

It was bound to happen. Teams that are really good usually have players who think they’re worth way more than the team is about to give them.  

It really comes down to them having to sign Hurts to a mega-contract and adjusting their roster accordingly. We'll be in the same boat once Howell proves himself. 

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 2

Just now, kingdaddy said:

It really comes down to them having to sign Hurts to a mega-contract and adjusting their roster accordingly. We'll be in the same boat once Howell proves himself. 

We can hope! Its not the worst problem to have.

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

7 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Taylor on the first day of OTAs as an assistant QB coach:  “Ok, Sam, here’s what you need to do:  close your eyes tight, gather as much power as you can, heave the ball as far as you can in Terry’s general direction.  It might be 10 yards short, but he’s a beast, he’ll come back, risk getting concussed 25 times a game, and turn what should have been an easy TD with a good throw into a great contested catch. It’s amazing.  Curtis can do it also!   It’s ok to throw into triple coverage, the back judge will deck the safety. It’s amazing.   If a defender gets his hands on the ball, they will most likely drop it so it’s ok to throw into double coverage. The crowd will go nuts chanting your name because they haven’t seen a good QB for so long they have the IQ of a gnat with a learning disability. (Breaks into Hei-ni-ke chant….)

Sam: yeah, but I can throw the ball more than 6 inches…. Does all this still apply?

giphy.gif

• Haha 4

7 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

They are going to start feeling a big cap crunch in 2-3 years.  They’re going to have to pay Hurts $40-$50/year.  Year 1 will be fine.  Year 2 and beyond is going to be tougher. 

Yeah, having to pay a top 5 QB is a real drag.  :ols:

• Haha 1

Eagles defense is going to suck. If they lose Bradbury which they probably will and if they trade Slay that’s 3 DBs counting Epps going to Vegas. Even if they get decent replacements in the draft it’s not going to gel fast when you factor in a new coordinator as well. We need to come out and punch the Cowboys in the mouth and take this thing early. Giants Cinderella story is done too in my opinion. 

1 minute ago, kingdaddy said:

Hope is a dangerous thing.....haven't you been following the posts around here? LOL.

I'm very confident that Howell is gonna be great for us.

When people tell me at work they 'hope" a deal is going to close my response is "I hope to be on a date with Megan Fox, but here we are ..."

• Haha 4

37 minutes ago, dyst said:

Kind of sad if Cosmi has dropped in the depth chart.

If that's the case it's probably due to him being constantly injured.  It's really hard for any player to get in a rhythm and develop when they play a game or two and then miss the next few.  Hopefully, he can stay healthy this year.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, CommandB11 said:

Having to pay a top 15 qb top 5 money is not good. That is what the Eagles are going to have with Hurts. He will regress hard this season.

This time last year, Hurts was a bust and the Eagles we're loading up 1rst round picks to move up in the draft to get a new QB. Turns out Hurts was the best QB in the NFL.

Just now, CommandB11 said:

Having to pay a top 15 qb top 5 money is not good. That is what the Eagles are going to have with Hurts. He will regress hard this season.

Is Hurts a top 5 QB though? He played the easiest schedule in the league and had talent all around him including possibly the best offensive line in the league. We'll find out more about him next year when he plays a Super Bowl schedule. This year he was pretty much a top 5 QB for sure. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, kingdaddy said:

Is Hurts a top 5 QB though? He played the easiest schedule in the league and had talent all around him including possibly the best offensive line in the league. We'll find out more about him next year when he plays a Super Bowl schedule. This year he was pretty much a top 5 QB for sure. 

I don't believe so. I think the Eagles figured Hurts was good enough to captain the ship, as long as the ship was elite and went all in for 2022.  Once they have to pay Hurts they are hoping he has developed into an elite QB, but I sort of tend to think what we saw in 2022 was Hurt's peak.  Not that it is a bad level to peak at, but it does require a ton of talent around him.

• Thumb up 1

Just now, NoCalMike said:

I don't believe so. I think the Eagles figured Hurts was good enough to captain the ship, as long as the ship was elite and went all in for 2022.  Once they have to pay Hurts they are hoping he has developed into an elite QB, but I sort of tend to think what we saw in 2022 was Hurt's peak.  Not that it is a bad level to peak at, but it does require a ton of talent around him.

I think he will never see that level of play again. He will look very much closer to the 2021 version more often than not.

1 minute ago, NoCalMike said:

He was 0-1 vs TH this year....

• Haha 3
  • Thumb up 1