Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2023 Schedule Rumors, Leaks, Mocks, etc.

kleese

50 minutes ago, MartinC said:

You were 100% fine here until the last line. Do not attack other posters - attack their logic/positions but not them. 

You're right, I knew it when I said it, just frustrated. 

Gotta just ignore.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 2

1 hour ago, shemp nixon said:

I don't agree with the pearl-clutching over the schedule. I'm excited about this season. We have a talented young roster... we need some luck with o-line health, and we need the D to start fast. I like our chances.   

Eh, we all said we were doomed when the schedule came out last year too. I think we'll surprise some folks.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

At this time, 7 is the floor and after I recalculated 12 as the ceiling. I guess that mean 9.5 is the over/under. This assumes nothing bad happens for us on the floor and nothing great happens for us at the ceiling. Part of why I see 7 as the floor is because that is Brissett's floor and I think EB will bench Howell if Howell isn't getting it done.  So either Howell gets us 7 or better or Brissett is the man and gets us at least 7.

Also, from what I believe, there are several good QBs in the draft and a top-10 pick gets us one (6 or fewer might put us there). THIS IS NOT ALLOWED BY THE FOOTBALL GODS!  Washington has not picked a franchise QB in the first round since 1937 and not for the lack of trying. Of the only two true ones in my lifetime, they were trades and the best one (Sonny) didn't have as good a roster as we have now most of his years. The two others who gave us multiple quality years were a late round pick and a 4th round pick. Another, who while his best years came in KC, was looking like our future was originally an 8th rounder who we picked up as a street FA.

16 hours ago, 757SeanTaylor21 said:

Crazy thar we get back to back away games 3 times and back to to back home games once

With the unbalanced schedule (17 rather than 16 games) where we alternate between 8 and 9 home games per year, I think this will be more likely than it was in the past.

4 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

We should definitely be able to get to two wins, by the time our bye week rolls around and then if we split the remaining schedule .500, it should be clear sailing.

You know at minimum we win 6 games. Ron has never won less than 6 games in a full season. He has one 5 win season when he got fired during the season. If Tepper waited until the end of the year, Ron likely would’ve had at least 6 wins.

So, the worst case is 6-11.

1 hour ago, 88Comrade2000 said:

You know at minimum we win 6 games. Ron has never won less than 6 games in a full season. He has one 5 win season when he got fired during the season. If Tepper waited until the end of the year, Ron likely would’ve had at least 6 wins.

So, the worst case is 6-11.

I think double digit loses is a lock. 

1-5 in the division? I think we're close to the Giants and if Howell is average we can take them. Might be able to steal one from the pokes.

That leaves. The Cardinals without Kyler in week one should be a win. If we lose that game than I don't think anyone will be over reacting when we go overboard.

Week 5 against the Bears, who we'll be in competition with for the top pick, so I'm assuming we win that stinker and feel great after a prime time beating of the Bears.

Then with all that steam and a long rest we head into a completely beatable Atlanta team, where the wheels will be removed for the remainder of the year.

But with our luck, if we play our cards right, lets say that we're on a roll and have beaten the Crds, Bears, Red Stalion and the Gnats carrying a stout 4-9 record into the bye week, I could see us beating the Rams and Jets and even the Cowboys in a meaningless game if they're locked into the playoiffs.

That would leave us at 7-10. Drafting in the low teens, right after the top QBs and LTs are drafted and right where we seem comfortable. 

That sounds about like us.

Ron does like to start slow and we have no tape on Gannon, so maybe the Cards get the win over us. Maybe the Bears are improved. 

Maybe Ron does get fired mid way. Maybe JDR becomes HC. Maybe JDR and EB get into a fist fight on the sideline at some point.

I'm excited for this season. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I view this season as a throwaway season. Just a transitional year between owners.  By the time Josh is approved as owner, it’s too late to really impact 23. So, even though Dan will be gone shortly, the 23 team is his last hurrah.

Honestly, the only good to come from this season is if Sam actually plays well that we go into 24 with him as starter. I know Sam’s Club think it’s a lock.  I think reality says we are looking at qb in 24. Since we are likely to be drafting somewhere between 10 and 15; we would have to give up assets to get one of the top qbs next year.

Listening to a radio personality just now who roots for the Giants.  Saying he's dissappointed that Dan Snyder is selling -- he enoys this franchise sucking.  But he expects this team to suck this year.  But he hopes they aren't so bad that they end up with Drake or Caleb Williams. 

Last year schedule on the team's website was done with colors and with each team's logo and with away and home games highlighted in gold or burgundy colors and it was just the right size to be my laptop's desktop background. This year it is just a ****ing PDF with rows and columns... ughhh!

Edited by zCommander

On 5/12/2023 at 6:26 AM, Skinsinparadise said:

Yeah am sort of in that same boat.  I never root for collapses.  But a collapse would actually be a gift from the football gods IMO. 

I am not negative about the job that Ron has done under Dan.  But i am negative on him going forward because a new owner = higher ceiling.  Ron can be a solid B on many fronts.  But I don't think A work is in his DNA.  B work especially in the context of overcoming Dan is a job well done.  B work in the context of an owner with a reputation of shooting for the best of the best doesn't work.

As to the Josh Harris style.  There is one thing that the NFL has in common with the NBA.  That is, the value of one player can change a franchise.  And Harris was obsessed with getting that dude in the NBA.  In the NFL, that dude is a franchise QB.  You don't need to be a genius to understand that this organization's demise is about Dan along with failures at QB.

Every so many years you have these Andrew Luck, Trevor Lawrence type prospects. Most years you don't have prospects that are seen as can't miss.  While I agree that there is no such thing as can't miss -- many of the guys especially in recent years who are seen in that caliber ala Joe Burrow, Trevor Lawrence, are the real deal.

If Howell doesn't end up the guy.  Next off season, knowing Harris style some, no way is he thinking hey who is considered the 4th best QB prospect in this draft, lets try him or name that retread on the market -- i think he is going to shoot hard for one of these guys.  It's not like every draft has QB prospects that are considered out of this world -- its usually every few years or so versus every year.

In short if there is a year to suck, this is the one. 

https://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2024/insider/story/_/id/37024079/2024-nfl-mock-draft-todd-mcshay-early-first-round-predictions-quarterback-landing-spots-32-picks

ind.png&h=110&w=110wsh.png&h=110&w=110

Projected trade: Washington goes in on a QB?

Maybe Indy stays put if Harrison -- the son of a Colts legend -- is still on the board at No. 3. But there's still a high-end quarterback out there, and that's not a need for Indianapolis after it took Anthony Richardson at No. 4 in April. I don't see many teams that definitely need a signal-caller right now, but Washington does jump out a little bit. I could see a slight move up for the Commanders, who sit at No. 6 in this mock order.

wsh.png&h=110&w=110

3. Washington Commanders (via mock trade with IND)

Drake Maye, QB, North Carolina*

Maye is 6-foot-4, 220 pounds and has a massive arm. Not only did he throw 38 touchdown passes last season, but he also ran for seven scores and almost 700 yards. Washington might be comfortable with Sam Howell and Jacoby Brissett at the moment, but the former is a fifth-round pick with one career start, and the latter is a 30-year-old veteran backup on a one-year deal. I understand the Commanders passing on quarterback down the board at No. 16 in 2023, but if they have a chance to get someone like Maye next April, it could change things for the franchise. Washington was outside the top 20 in nearly every passing metric last season.

Screen Shot 2023-05-12 at 7.21.22 AM.png

As a UNC alum/lifelong Skins fan this would be epic! That being said I hope Sam Howell gets it done and we don’t need Drake 

Best Case: 9-8

Week 1: Cards- Win: 1-0

Week 2: @Broncos- Win: 2-0

Week 3: Bills- Loss: 2-1

Week 4: @Eagles- Loss: 2-2

Week 5: Bears- Win: 3-2

Week 6: @Falcons- Win: 4-2

Week 7: @Giants- Loss: 4-3

Week 8: Eagles- Win: 5-3

Week 9: @Pats- Loss: 5-4

Week 10: @Seahawks- Loss: 5-5

Week 11: Giants- Win: 6-5

Week 12: @Boys- Loss: 6-6

Week 13: Dolphins- Win: 7-6

Week 14: Bye

Week 15: @Rams- Win: 8-6

Week 16: @Jets- Loss: 8-7

Week 17: 49ers- Loss: 8-8

Week 18: Boys- Win: 9-8

We earn the 7th seed.

Wild Card: @Unknown 2nd seed- Loss: 0-1

So best case we finish 9-9, making the playoffs as the 7th seed with a 9-8 record but losing in the wild card round to finish 9-9.

=====================================================================================================

Worst Case: 6-11

Week 2: @Broncos- Loss: 1-1

Week 3: Bills- Loss: 1-2

Week 4: @Eagles- Loss: 1-3

Week 5: Bears- Win: 2-3

Week 6: @Falcons- Loss: 2-4

Week 7: @Giants- Loss: 2-5

Sam is benched. Jacoby starts.

Week 8: Eagles- Win: 3-5

Week 9: @Pats- Loss: 3-6

Week 10: @Seahawks- Loss: 3-7

Week 11: Giants- Win: 4-7

Week 12: @Boys- Loss: 4-8

Week 13: Dolphins- Win: 5-8

Week 15: @Rams- Loss: 5-9 

Week 16: @Jets- Loss: 5-10

Jacoby is benched. Sam finishes season as starter. Ron is fired and EB finishes the season as interim coach. The gms if they haven't been fired beforehand, are also fired. 

Week 17: 49ers- Loss: 5-11

Week 18: Boys- Win: 6-11

So worst case we finish 6-11.  Sam struggles and is benched after a 2-5 start. Jacoby goes 3-5 before being benched. Josh decides to get a jump on the coaching season by firing Ron with 2 games left. Also, gets a jump of the gm season by cleaning house also.  He lets EB finish the season as interim coach. Sam gets to start the final 2 games.  

I say we will finish closer to the worse case than best case. Ron may last the entire season, but everyone will shown the door in the 24 offseason.

Edited by 88Comrade2000

7 hours ago, 88Comrade2000 said:

Best Case: 9-8

Week 2: @Broncos- Win: 2-0

Week 3: Bills- Loss: 2-1

Week 4: @Eagles- Loss: 2-2

Week 5: Bears- Win: 3-2

Week 6: @Falcons- Win: 4-2

Week 7: @Giants- Loss: 4-3

Week 8: Eagles- Win: 5-3

Week 9: @Pats- Loss: 5-4

Week 10: @Seahawks- Loss: 5-5

Week 11: Giants- Win: 6-5

Week 12: @Boys- Loss: 6-6

Week 13: Dolphins- Win: 7-6

Week 15: @Rams- Win: 8-6

Week 16: @Jets- Loss: 8-7

Week 17: 49ers- Loss: 8-8

Week 18: Boys- Win: 9-8

We earn the 7th seed.

Wild Card: @Unknown 2nd seed- Loss: 0-1

So best case we finish 9-9, making the playoffs as the 7th seed with a 9-8 record but losing in the wild card round to finish 9-9.

=====================================================================================================

Worst Case: 6-11

Week 2: @Broncos- Loss: 1-1

Week 3: Bills- Loss: 1-2

Week 4: @Eagles- Loss: 1-3

Week 5: Bears- Win: 2-3

Week 6: @Falcons- Loss: 2-4

Week 7: @Giants- Loss: 2-5

Sam is benched. Jacoby starts.

Week 8: Eagles- Win: 3-5

Week 9: @Pats- Loss: 3-6

Week 10: @Seahawks- Loss: 3-7

Week 11: Giants- Win: 4-7

Week 12: @Boys- Loss: 4-8

Week 13: Dolphins- Win: 5-8

Week 15: @Rams- Loss: 5-9 

Week 16: @Jets- Loss: 5-10

Jacoby is benched. Sam finishes season as starter. Ron is fired and EB finishes the season as interim coach. The gms if they haven't been fired beforehand, are also fired. 

Week 17: 49ers- Loss: 5-11

Week 18: Boys- Win: 6-11

So worst case we finish 6-11.  Sam struggles and is benched after a 2-5 start. Jacoby goes 3-5 before being benched. Josh decides to get a jump on the coaching season by firing Ron with 2 games left. Also, gets a jump of the gm season by cleaning house also.  He lets EB finish the season as interim coach. Sam gets to start the final 2 games.  

I say we will finish closer to the worse case than best case. Ron may last the entire season, but everyone will shown the door in the 24 offseason.

Starting out 2 - 0 would be really huge but we seemingly never, ever do. Even with Jacksonville and Detroit as our first two games ( before they both turned out to be pretty good ) fans were saying 2 - 0, gonna be 2 - 0. I was like ehhhh not so fast my friend. It's Washington we're talking about. It'll be 1 - 1. Not sure which game is a win and which is a loss but it'll almost definitely be 1 - 1. I am gonna go with that again in 2023. Probably a win vs Arizona and loss vs Denver but I'd sell my soul to the devil for a very rare ( for us ) 2 - 0 start! Well not really but I'd be ecstatic!

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

EB wouldn't get the HC gig over former HC JDR.

Jack might get the boot also.  Besides struggling at qb, o-line sucking; the defense failing would be another reason for sucking this year. So, if there’s a late season coaching change, Jack might also join Ron in getting the boot.