Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Next Day Thread: Decimating Dallas and Final Studs/Dud Awards!

KDawg

16 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

Look, I get the need to evaluate Sam, but the goal is still to win the game.

Our identity, for better or worse, has been run and play defense and not ask our QBs to do everything for us (because they cant).

This confidence boast was far more important for Sams development then whatever we think we missing on tape.  He goes out there and throws 50 times, promise you we lose this game today.

I don't remember anyone on this board thinking we were gonna come out slinging the ball all over the yard so we could "properly" evaluate Sam.

It was general consensus that we were gonna run the ball a ton in an attempt to protect him from having to lift a team all by himself and not have to throw a bajillion balls behind this Oline.

I don't know why that mindset evaporated but it all but dissipated in the gamethread

From a gameplan standpoint we came out and did what everybody assumed we were going to do, and it was the right call to boot.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, FootballZombie said:

I don't remember anyone on this board thinking we were gonna come out slinging the ball all over the yard so we could "properly" evaluate Sam.

It was general consensus that we were gonna run the ball a ton in an attempt to protect him from having to lift a team all by himself and not have to throw a bajillion balls behind this Oline.

Yea, almost forgot who I quoted.

2 minutes ago, FootballZombie said:

I don't know why that mindset evaporated but it all but dissipated in the gamethread

From a gameplan standpoint we came out and did what everybody assumed we were going to do, and it was the right call to boot.

I agree there were some plays or series where I thought it might be more appropriate to throw or at least see what Howell could do (and wasn't alone in GameDay thread at least), but Dallas was already giving us the game and throwing up on themselves.

Much as I like what I saw from Howell, it worked out limiting his throws.  Never interrupt your enemy when their doing something stupid, no need to get any cuter then neccesary.

They made their point with the QB draw TD in terms of balancing seeing what he could do and winning the game.  Scott Turner still needs to go, but thankful he didn't get so full if himself he kept Dallas get back in the game being extra because he felt he had the cushion to do it.  Because when Sam got cornered in the sideline and jus took the gang sack I realized he is still a work in progress in regards to when to give up on plays (that's endzone int sealed the need for much more work on that).

Before I turn out the lights and go to bed on the night of our last game of the season, I've got to say I'm happy that Howell won and looked okay. But I'm still disappointed. It feels too much like 2020's exit, feeling like "man, this kid might have something after all. I can't wait for next season to come and see what he's like."

Howell has far more physical ability than Heinicke had. But it's a bitter feeling wondering what could have been and what will be with our unknown kiddo and a future that probably holds another journeyman. I hope it turns out better this time around than 2021 did, but it hurts that all I've got is a vague glimmer of hope.

Edited by NickyJ
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Ball Security said:

I thought Ridgeway stood out until he got hurt.

The Hudson thing puzzles me.  Did he play the Bostic/Mayo spot while Mayo filled in for Davis?  If so, why not give him more action there before today?

Howell was absolutely terrific.  I’m glad he threw that INT.  It’s a good rep to learn from.  Shame they didn’t give him more opportunities.  Two big drops from Terry and Dotson.  His line could have been better.

Hudson and the FS, I forget his name. But they are the reason why I don't like calling anybody a bust or a bum until I've seen them play. Ron has a tendency to keep guys on the bench because they haven't earned playing time and he's trying to protect them. It's frustrating because we're putting out a worse team. But it's his thing

• Like 2

Howell gives some future hope for sure. He showed a lot of things you look for in yesterday's game, but obviously, he still has a long way to go. There's a lot of upside there to tap into and this is going to be an important offseason for Howell's development. It will be interesting to see what happens with Turner and the OC position in the offseason. It's a well known thing that a QB's second season in an offensive system is huge and it's when a QB shows leaps of improvement. Because Howell was just a rookie and played only one game in Turner's system, I'm not sure how much that notion holds with him. But just studying the playbook on a daily basis for a full season and his familiarity with the offense matters.  

Unless you're an elite QB that can quickly adapt to any system, being comfortable in an offense is paramount to success- it's the only reason Heinicke is in the league and has had any kind of success whatsoever. Because he knew the offense so well, he did some good things, but his limitations were evident and it could've effected the play calling at times. Howell has a much higher ceiling than Heinicke and if Heinicke was able to carve out an NFL career in this system, I'm curious to see what Howell might be able to do in it.

That said, I'm not a big fan of Turner and wouldn't be surprised or disappointed if we moved on from him. However, with one year of studying and even playing a game in our current system, I would think that if Turner is retained and with an offseason of getting an even firmer grasp of the offense that Howell is going to come into OTA's and training camp much more confident in what he's doing.

Again, I'm not big on Turner. At the same time, I think that if he has the right QB that knows his offense and is comfortable running it, we could see better play calling and a vastly improved offense. With Howell having a year in the system under his belt and a natural progression expected in year two of that offense, I'm not sure if it's best for him if Turner stays or if bringing in a new OC benefits him more.    

• Like 2

Very pleased with Howell's initial outing. The commentators said several times that as third string QB he wasn't getting any reps in training so I think we can see a ton of improvement once he's training with the first team. That bomb to Terry was a thing of beauty though.

Agree about Turner, the old run it on first and second down, just kept leaving us in third and medium to long. The only real success was the occasional time we threw it on first down (not surprisingly).

• Like 3

What a nice way to finish the season. We played well in all aspects of the game (except kicking) and humiliated a really good dallas team.

The defense didn't miss a beat with some key players out and held dallas to 182 total yards, the Ewok only getting 10 yards on eight carries (1.3 YPC) was particularly satisfying. Dak was harried often but only actually sacked once.

I thought that Ridgeway had a good game with five tackles and even Benning Potoa'e had a TFL (I honestly didn't know he was on the team until yesterday).

The LBs did a sterling job, but it was the DBs who shined. They seemed to be playing more aggressively than usual and were always around the ball. The soft zone to finish out the first half was a bit frustrating to watch but it negated the chance of a long TD which is the point I suppose.

Patterson stepped in and did his stock no harm at all, 78 yards off 17 carries (4.6 YPC) was a great showing. Terry and Dotson continue to impress even with the limited opportunities. I did feel a bit sorry for Curtis Samuel. I'm a big fan of his but one reception for -4 yards and one carry for -2 yards was just bad. I would be ok with moving on from him considering the cap savings.

Obviously the O-line needs fixing, run blocking is good, pass blocking is poor. I had high hopes for Cosmi but he's struggling at tackle. I would like to see at least two FAs and two rookies added for next year.

Then there's Mr Howell. I couldn't have been more impressed with his first start. He showed poise in the pocket, ran when he had to (five carries for 35 yards) and showed that he could run the offense. His throws had zip and were well timed, and the two long passes were made with pinpoint accuracy. The INT was a bad throw, something to learn from.

It's weird how my attitude has changed towards the coaches. I love that way that Ron has changed the attitude of the team but I'm starting to question whether I still want him as a HC. The main problems holding the team back are obviously QB and OL. They are both down to Ron, it's just not good enough.

JDR was enemy No.1 early in the season but he's turned it around and I now hope that he's back next year.

Turner tries to be too clever at times. He sometimes seems to call plays that he thinks the defense won't expect rather than plays that would actually work in any given situation. I think that it's time to move on from him.

Finally, I think that KDawg has done a great job with this thread every week. I hope we re-sign him for next season (vet minimum contract of course).

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1

16 minutes ago, London Kev said:

Finally, I think that KDawg has done a great job with this thread every week. I hope we re-sign him for next season (vet minimum contract of course).

You forgot the old ES classic... "+ incentives" to that vet minimum contract offer to KDawg lol.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

12 hours ago, KDawg said:

Receiver we are in relatively good shape. Samuel will be interesting to see what happens with him. If he's cut we save 5.8 million net:

image.png.68d74fb9e6d25f88eb3de889f584fe64.png

I was a little disappointed in Samuel.  Maybe more in how they used him, because as a player, I think he brings a lot to the table.  But I think his potential was untapped by OC and QB limitations.  He started off like gangbusters with Wentz, then tailed off the rest of the year, IMO.  He was pretty inconsequential in the passing game and they seemed to focus more on him as a runner.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, justice98 said:

I was a little disappointed in Samuel.  Maybe more in how they used him, because as a player, I think he brings a lot to the table.  But I think his potential was untapped by OC and QB limitations.  He started off like gangbusters with Wentz, then tailed off the rest of the year, IMO.  He was pretty inconsequential in the passing game and they seemed to focus more on him as a runner.

He was a legit downfield threat in Carolina. We misused him terribly.

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

4 minutes ago, justice98 said:

Samuel is excellent in space, very good hands, but as you said he just wasn't used correctly. He is a very nice weapon to have if given the right looks.

Disappointed overall with the Tight Ends. Was thinking they would have a big year especially with Wentz's supposed penchant for utilizing TE's, sadly we know how that ended up. Maybe a combination of having to use them more to supplement the OL, maybe because we never really seemed to get into a rhythm with play calling and they became an after thought. Hoped for more from Bates, build on last year. Was very excited to see Cole Turner but he never materialized, Rodgers had flashes, unfortunately Logan is no longer as dependable as a couple of years ago. I could see picking up a TE early in the draft but Im sceptable under current staff if we would use him to his potential.

• Like 1

One thing that stand out about the game is Cowboys 3 and outs, 10+. Team had 10 at one point per game announcers.  Secondary was all over the place.  Shut down the boys running game too. Patterson gave the O a quickness that was missing all year at RB.    

3 minutes ago, skinsfan66 said:

One thing that stand out about the game is Cowboys 3 and outs, 10+. Team had 10 at one point per game announcers.  Secondary was all over the place.  Shut down the boys running game too. Patterson gave the O a quickness that was missing all year at RB.    

Radio announcers mentioned his "fresh legs" which I think played a part also. Hence the need for a good "stable" of running backs to pull from throughout the year. Over a 17 game season might be an idea to rotate through as much as possible.

12 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

He's certainly earned that ham sandwich.

RIP Tuddy

Tuddy not fading into the sunset that easily.

Edited by Chris 44

I wasn't able to watch the game thanks to a friends kids birthday party so all I got were the highlights.  So I have a few questions:
When I was able to watch like 1 play, I noticed McLaurin just standing there when the ball was snapped.  In the replay, they focused on the same thing but I was on my phone and I couldn't hear what they said.  What was up with that?

How was the play-calling?  I noticed a lot of RPO's and different formations with Howell playing.  Scott Turner dialed all that up which makes me very confused?  Was it a good game from that perspective? I noticed you had a dud for Scott again and I can certainly understand that since he's been awful. 

The defense played really well.  I don't get it?  How can they go from looking awful with zero pressure to churning out 3 and outs vs. a very good team.  Dallas usually scores a bunch of points and hardly has 3-out drives.  Grrr! I really wish I could watch the entire game!

Off-season: you can't fire the staff because who the hell would you replace them with when you are 'selling the team' (maybe?).  So I don't think there can be any coaching staff changes this year.  Also, Howell would have to learn a new system which isn't ideal.

That's all I got - Thanks

7 minutes ago, Thirtyfive2seven said:

I wasn't able to watch the game thanks to a friends kids birthday party so all I got were the highlights.  So I have a few questions:
When I was able to watch like 1 play, I noticed McLaurin just standing there when the ball was snapped.  In the replay, they focused on the same thing but I was on my phone and I couldn't hear what they said.  What was up with that?

How was the play-calling?  I noticed a lot of RPO's and different formations with Howell playing.  Scott Turner dialed all that up which makes me very confused?  Was it a good game from that perspective? I noticed you had a dud for Scott again and I can certainly understand that since he's been awful. 

The defense played really well.  I don't get it?  How can they go from looking awful with zero pressure to churning out 3 and outs vs. a very good team.  Dallas usually scores a bunch of points and hardly has 3-out drives.  Grrr! I really wish I could watch the entire game!

Off-season: you can't fire the staff because who the hell would you replace them with when you are 'selling the team' (maybe?).  So I don't think there can be any coaching staff changes this year.  Also, Howell would have to learn a new system which isn't ideal.

That's all I got - Thanks

I can sum up Turner in three words yesterday.

Run, Run, Pass.

Oh, and tight end sweep.

Oh and stretch play on 3rd and 1.

12 hours ago, KDawg said:

Yup. With Turner’s removal, Taylor should go.

I think that’s a year out. At best. But that’s intriguing for sure. 

Have you seen his wife?   There's no way she'll permit him to leave sunny LA to come back to the dump that is Fed Ex field.  Yes, I'm aware that she went to GMU but that's not a good argument.  The allure of GMU compared to the west coast isn't comparable at all.  Yes, I'm also aware of the rumors that he might not be the LA coach long term but he'll have his pick of places to go and can wind up in way more cosmopolitan, interesting areas other than DC.  I'd love it if he were the coach here but I don't see it.  Maybe if Bezos really is the guy and can throw obscene amounts of money at him it'll happen but that's a long way off.

I'm fine with Heinicke not returning.  It was cool and it was fun but I hope the ride is over.

Scott Turner needs to go, too.  Need massive O-line help this offseason.  

In regards to the game yesterday, it was nice to see a win, it was nice to see us capitalize on their mistakes but I think that was a case of Dallas looking like **** instead of us looking good.  Other than the Howell pick, we didn't make any mistakes to really let them get back in the game.  Which is great, mistake-free football is what you want but Dallas was simply awful.  Dak had his worst game ever.  

Happy to get a win against Dallas on the last game of the season, always, even though if it screwed our draft position a little bit.  

1 minute ago, Thirtyfive2seven said:

That was my impression but just from watching the highlights which made them look amazing so it's really hard to tell without actually seeing the game.

The highlights were real this time, strange game could have been a big blowout. 2 missed field goals, missed extra point, pick in endzone.  

2 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Happy to get a win against Dallas on the last game of the season, always, even though if it screwed our draft position a little bit.  

That part sucks, but I'm hoping they trade back and maybe make some deals to get more picks.  It seems like they need an entire offensive line.  And a TE.  And a linebacker.  And another corner, and depth on the offensive line..

Can I give dud to Terry for throwing the football in the stands as it was Howell's 1st TD pass in the NFL? Hopefully they are able to get that back for him. 

I see some are saying the stats were Taylor like but the reality was Turner kept on calling run, run, pass plays more than needed to be. If you are trying to see how is the new QB in the passing game you do more passes in a game that doesn't even matter except to see what the future can be. Turner most of the times can't get out of his own way. 

Edited by zCommander
  • Haha 1