Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Next Day Thread: Decimating Dallas and Final Studs/Dud Awards!

KDawg

Sam Howell. It's no secret I've been pining for him since the 2021 Draft Thread. And he delivered.

If I want to be taken seriously, pretty much anywhere, I also have to be real. The interception he threw was absolutely awful. He was trying to drop it in over the top of three defenders but he threw off his back foot and it resulted in a red zone turnover. It's how you learn, but it's similar to a throw Heinicke made earlier this season that I was critical of. 

Howell, though, hit receivers in stride, gave them room for YAC and delivered two nearly perfect deep balls when pass plays were called. I am more than comfortable going into the 2023 season with Sam Howell as our quarterback. Howell and a capable veteran backup with Fromm on the PS and drafting a guy like Hendon Hooker in the later rounds would be a "good enough to get it done" room.

Howell, Brissett (name your vet backup), Fromm, Hooker.

But we desperately need to upgrade the offensive line and our offensive coordinator. 

I like our running back room. I had speed back as a need for our offseason, and I'm not entirely sure I still don't have some value in that, but a room of Robinson, Gibson, Patterson and Williams is a pretty solid group. 

Receiver we are in relatively good shape. Samuel will be interesting to see what happens with him. If he's cut we save 5.8 million net:

image.png.68d74fb9e6d25f88eb3de889f584fe64.png

That's where I could believe our first round pick could be used on a receiver - again. If Boutte or Smith-Njigba are sitting there at our pick I wouldn't be the least bit surprised to see us draft them. Regardless, a room with McLaurin, Dotson, Samuel, Brown, etc., is relatively cheap and effective. Dotson's explosiveness was on full display today. As was McLaurin's. 

The other position (besides OL) where I could see this team using a draft pick is tight end. We were very underwhelming in that department this year. But tight ends take some time to develop and we had Hodges and Rodgers on that front to go with Bates and Thomas. Bates is pretty safe. He has a role and he fulfills it. Thomas added 2 rec for 16 yards today. On the season he had 37/307/1 in 13 games. In contrast, Dotson played in 11 games: 32/451/7.

image.png.4293b8441ff3b89d278fc7f45b79dc7c.png

Thomas saved $5.25M against the cap if he's released. This is where Notre Dame tight end Michael Mayer comes into play as a real possibility.

The most obvious spot we need to upgrade is offensive line. And I think the draft is a great place to do it. But there are questions about the availability of a tackle at our pick (Paris Johnson likely gone, questions on Skoronski's arm length, etc.) I'm not a fan of forcing a pick just because it's a big position of need when elite talent is on the board, and passing on the aforementioned Boutte, JSN and Mayer is a tough ask for a 2nd tier OT. Having said that, something has to be done up front. They have been underperforming and poor all season. 

Roullier and Larsen are both capable centers. But they are both also injured far too often to be relied upon. We need some stability there.

Guards... We need a lot of help. Cosmi may be able to kick inside but he's had a rough go of it this season. I think he's going to be better at guard than he would be at tackle. But I think we need five positional upgrades. We will no doubt look to the draft, hopefully in rounds 2-5, to get at least two potential starter types. Paul can continue to develop and perhaps contribute. Leno can stay as a necessity but I think we need two OTs. 

The defense is in much better shape, but there are questions there, too.

Let's start at safety. I think a guy like Jordan Battle from Alabama would be an excellent option. But... Percy Butler showed up today. And to be quite honest, if Butler can play back there with Forrest, that allows Curl to play more of the hybrid safety role as well as drop back at times as well. That makes our defense much stronger by getting McCain out and putting three aggressive dudes on the field. Curl is our field general and one of our most valuable players. Depth at safety becomes a concern in that situation, though, so a guy like Battle could still be a welcome addition.

Corner is a position that I think you can always upgrade. But Fuller played serviceable this season. Juste emerged as a potential stud (but with health concerns again), Johnson showed he is a spot starter and more than capable depth and Holmes developed. Fuller would save about $8M on release:

image.png.c75cc5f695a6a35a97aa77a886027b47.png

So the question becomes: Is Fuller a guy that can be moved on from? I'd say before the draft you can't. Have to see how the draft plays out.

Guys like Joey Porter, Jr. are going to be talked about routinely this offseason. We'll see. 

Linebacker I thought David Mayo played well today and has outperformed Jon Bostic all season. Cole Holcomb is a free agent and I think signing him is important, even if it's to provide adequate depth. Jamin Davis came into his own this year so he's solid. But then there are options in the draft as well. Khaleke Hudson showed some pretty solid development as well. In coverage, as a rusher and with his reads he looks like a quality depth option. 

Trenton Simpson (Clemson), Jack Campbell (Iowa), Noah Sewell (Oregon) and Henry To'oto'o (Alabama) are all intriguing options there.

Defensive line the priority is 100% retaining Daron Payne. He and Allen along with a healthy Phi Mathis and John Ridgeway is a VERY strong group. If Obada stays on the roster he is a good flex guy that can also play inside. I am very comfortable with that group. But they have to get Payne back in the fold. 

Ends... Well... Eh. Montez Sweat is extremely good at "winning" against the OT but constantly finds ways to just miss the sack. Had an opportunity today and he missed and allowed Obada to come in to clean up. Chase Young had a great game last week and other than one solid play today was fairly invisible. Those two guys have to make plays in 2023. I'd consider moving Sweat if his pricetag is going to be too high moving forward and getting draft capital to help this team shore up the offensive line. I like Obada, Toohill and JSW as depth and they have a good cost:production ratio. 

Punter we have an absolute stud. The Cheeseman has been solid. Slye... we'll see. Have to at least give him some competition. 

Coaching, I don't see many changes. With the ownership situation still shaking out I'm not sure a new group will be in place by FA/Draft time. And by then it's too late to replace the major components of the staff. But changes can happen and that's where I think we see some movement. And perhaps soon. Scott Turner got entirely too cute entirely too many times this season and he has worn out his welcome. Today he has a rookie QB that needs to be evaluated and he plays ultra conservative, but somehow in short yard situations tight end arounds and stretch plays becomes a staple. The coaching staff didn't get Howell reps with the ones at all, even when he was a backup, but then they decide to run plays with intricate timing in today's game. These are just things you can't do. 

Also wasn't a big fan of the prevent defense at the end of the first half. But I have a hard time being overly critical of the defensive scheme given how they performed as a whole. 

I think the biggest upgrade this team can make this off-season is at OC.

1. OC

2. OL

Then a bunch of other things that could help this team.

Dallas Studs:

*** - Jahan Dotson

*** - Kendall Fuller

*** - Milo Eifler (Yes, he made one play, but I liked it!)

*** - Terry McLaurin

** - Danny Johnson

** - Sam Howell (the pick was brutal, so he loses a star)

** - Jaret Patterson

** - Jonathan Williams

* - Khaleke Hudson

* - Daron Payne

* - Efe Obada

Dallas Duds:

Originally I wasn't going to have any duds. But Turner was definitely a dud today and that can't be overlooked.

:( :( :( - Scott Turner.

Final Season Tallies:

* x 25 - Daron Payne

* x 24 - Terry McLaurin

* x 16 - Brian Robinson

* x 15 - Jon Allen

* x 16 - Jahan Dotson

* x 10 - Curtis Samuel

* x 9 - Darrick Forrest

* x 7 - Montez Sweat

* x 7 - Antonio Gibson

* x 7 - Jamin Davis

* x 6 - Benjamin St-Juste

* x 5 - Kam Curl

* x 8 - Kendall Fuller

* x 3 - Milo Eifler

* x 3 - Tress Way

* x 3- Dyami Brown

* x 3 - Back Judge in Vikings Game

* x 3 - Jack Del Rio

* x 3 - Danny Johnson

* x 3 - Jonathan Williams

* x 2 - Chase Young

* x 2 - Joey Slye

* x 2 - Sam Howell

* x 2 - Jaret Patterson

* x 1 - Scott Turner

* x 1 - Rachad Wildgoose

* x 1 - James Smith-Williams

* x 1 - John Bates

* x 1 - Khaleke Hudson

* x 1 - Efe Obada

:( x 1 - Wes Schweitzer

:( x 1 - Jon Bostic

:( x 3 - Taylor Heinicke

:( x 3 - Cam Sims

:( x 3 - Entire OL (whatever iteration in Giants Game II)

:( x 4 - John Ridgeway

:( x 5 - Charles Leno

:( x 5 - Trai Turner

:( x 6 - Nick Martin

:( x 6 - WJ3

:( x 7 - Sam Cosmi

:( x 7 - Ron Rivera

:( x 7 - Andrew Norwell

:( x 8 - Carson Wentz

:( x 10 - Scott Turner

That means, for our final "awards" of the year:

Defensive MVP: Daron Payne

Offensive MVP: Terry McLaurin

Overall MVP: Daron Payne

Offensive Rookie of the Year: Brian Robinson

Defensive Rookie of the Year: N/A

Biggest Dud: Scott Turner

Edited by KDawg
  • Like 15
  • Thanks 7
  • Thumb up 5
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

I cant believe they ran 41 times to 19 throws. Absolutely hate it... 

I dont want any real assets put towards QB. Roll with Howell. Get Brissett and a late round flyer if you want with a high ceiling. 

Sink or swim

Edited by Zim489
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, Zim489 said:

I dont want any real assets put towards QB. Roll with Howell. Get Brissett and a late round flyer if you want with a high ceiling. 

Sink or swim

Agree.

Howell, Brissett, Fromm and Hendon Hooker as a flyer/developmental guy is the direction I'd go.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Zim489 said:

Also please let the Taylor story die with this season.

Yup. With Turner’s removal, Taylor should go.

8 minutes ago, TK said:

Bring him home Bezos :D 

image.thumb.png.4c2a4f5443360668276d2dfbd9026e4c.png

I think that’s a year out. At best. But that’s intriguing for sure. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

Did you watch Chris Paul much today? When I focused on him, he looked pretty solid and I didn't notice any big negatives (he was called for th ineligible downfield, but it seemed like there were multiple guys and the timing of the play was just off)

Bits and pieces. Looked okay. But the guys on either side of him were really bad so can’t get a good eval without watching specifically him. Was more interested in Howell during the game. 

But hopefully Paul can play on the OL. Eases the burden.

1 minute ago, KDawg said:

Bits and pieces. Looked okay. But the guys on either side of him were really bad so can’t get a good eval without watching specifically him. Was more interested in Howell during the game. 

But hopefully Paul can play on the OL. Eases the burden.

Cosmi in particular looked terrible. Parsons was beating him at will. 

3 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Cosmi is a G. No G should ever be asked to block Micah freaking Parsons. That's a coaching issue.

Cosmi is a RT that they may move to G. He’s been a tackle the last two years and in college.

• Like 2

Tress Way forced another muff. Dude is going for the high score in those.

I think today was the best coverage I've seen from the D all year. Outside of that prevent drive they were absolutely glued to their assignments and were even swatting at balls as they came in, showing they were alertly keeping an eye out as well as playing their guys.

Sammy threw a ball away. Rare understanding from a young guy. Something Purdy gets accolades for in spades.

Hard to put a finger on Sweat. His metrics are at the top of the NFL and if he ever "flips the switch" and turns some of those almost plays into actual plays he turns into Miles Garret. Its like the Orakpo problem on steroids. We need our best guys to make impact plays tho, and that includes Young. Good metrics are not enough from our stars.

Apke got a ST tackle. That is all.

I don't remember any funky snaps? Yay?

Kinda bummed we never saw an attempt to force a Dyami/Howell connection.

• Like 5

To say I’m shocked would be an understatement. Besides the INT Sam Howell played really well, I wasn’t high on him and thought we wasted a draft pick on him, time will tell but he showed enough to make me want to see more, would still like a better veteran behind him and sorry Wentz and Taylor gotta go. 

Beating Dallas will never get old no matter what so I’m jazzed for that. 

The only thing that bugs me is that this is what they always do, play just good enough to give you hope just to kill you next year, maybe one day it will all come together. 

• Like 2

Is Ron going to let Payne walk for a comp pick and count on Mathis being back? For as strong as our Dline was this year we have  some questions about it going into the off-season. Sweat and Young together next year don’t really excite me, I suppose they get one more shot together 

4 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Cosmi is a RT that they may move to G. He’s been a tackle the last two years and in college.

I am still holding out that Cosmi can play RT if he has a strong RG and decent TE assistance as needed

Very happy with Hudsons play today. he def earned a star!

I would have given Wentz a star for not getting on the field

Rivera deserves a dud for waiting this long to give Howell an opportunity for playing time

Thanks for the season of these posts @KDawg

• Like 7

I’m pretty excited about Howell. A little too excited after one game. But he showed a lot of poise and the game didn’t seem too big for him. He’s definitely got way way more arm than Heinicke. 

i think Scott Turned makes all the QBs look worse with his atrocious play calling. If this crew is around next year, I really hope he is gone. 

knowing Rivera, he won’t be.

I thought Ridgeway stood out until he got hurt.

The Hudson thing puzzles me.  Did he play the Bostic/Mayo spot while Mayo filled in for Davis?  If so, why not give him more action there before today?

Howell was absolutely terrific.  I’m glad he threw that INT.  It’s a good rep to learn from.  Shame they didn’t give him more opportunities.  Two big drops from Terry and Dotson.  His line could have been better.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Zim489 said:

Sink or swim

Look, I get the need to evaluate Sam, but the goal is still to win the game.

Our identity, for better or worse, has been run and play defense and not ask our QBs to do everything for us (because they cant).

This confidence boast was far more important for Sams development then whatever we think we missing on tape.  He goes out there and throws 50 times, promise you we lose this game today.

• Thumb down 2
  • Thumb up 1