Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Gun Related News/Control

Cooked Crack

I kinda like how the parents are being held responsible, but I only want that if they're negligent. If they report to the police that someone shouldn't have a weapon and the cops do nothing (not when they CAN'T, but when they WON'T), the police and or school should be held responsible. This might give the GOP another strawman to point at, but maybe instead of waiting for them to pass laws, we put the pressure on the parents.

Yeah. I think one of the things that gets to me is the impression (which may or may not be true) that a lot of these things, the way the shooter got the guns was from a "responsible gun owner" who had six guns laying around in a house with children. 

The feeling I've got is that we need a law along the lines that anybody who owns more than three guns needs to have a gun safe that meets certain standards, properly installed. And that no more than three guns can be outside the safe. 

The problem I see with such a law, though, is that the only way I can see to enforce it is to allow "snap inspections" of the gun owner's home. Which seems both extreme, and unlikely to happen. 

(And that no more than three guns can be outside the safe.)  

You only need one.  Even in the middle of the night, I would only be able to gather my thoughts enough to reach for one, and I'm throwing my 3-wood from my bedside first to see/hear if they move.  If they boogie out, cool...because I'd rather patch some holes in walls than shoot somebody and have to go through everything that will bring police into my home.  I'm funny that way.  

Oh. I can certainly see someone wanting to keep one weapon ready by the bed, and one in the living room, say. 

And I want to be generous to what I think of as the good gun owners. Who I assume are the vast majority. 

At least, on this occasion, our resident Rittenhousers didn’t roll up in here with tall tales about their “wife’s brother’s sister who’s a third grade teacher and she can’t wait to spend the rest of her career strapped up with body armor and military weaponry!”.

That shows a tiny amount of personal intellectual growth.  We’re very proud.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Captain Wiggles said:

Just a reminder that the Parkland School Resource Officer hid during the shooting there. 🤷‍♂️

Not that he shouldn’t have done more, but it takes more physical and psychological training to handle these situations. Some SWAT teams actually receive combat training if I’m not mistaken, and that’s basically what it is.

• Thumb up 1

3 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

Interesting...

Yeah if you can find around 180,000 veterans with a clean background check and a squeaky clean psych eval willing to do the job it’d probably work while still being morbid. That number puts 2 armed guards in every elementary school, middle school and high school in the country, as there are around 90,000 schools in the country. It’s also a very conservative estimate as some high schools (especially in Texas where there are lax gun laws) are huge and would need more than two. It’s interesting, but is it feasible, and if there aren’t enough guards, who decides which schools get them and what factors do they go by? 

Edited by Berggy9598
  • Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

2 hours ago, Berggy9598 said:

Yeah if you can find around 180,000 veterans with a clean background check and a squeaky clean psych eval willing to do the job it’d probably work while still being morbid. That number puts 2 armed guards in every elementary school, middle school and high school in the country, as there are around 90,000 schools in the country. It’s also a very conservative estimate as some high schools (especially in Texas where there are lax gun laws) are huge and would need more than two. It’s interesting, but is it feasible, and if there aren’t enough guards, who decides which schools get them and what factors do they go by? 

Yea, anyone can correct me on this, but infantry doesn't sound like it has an easy transition into civilian workforce, or at least not as many options as others would.

What also comes to mind is Blackwater and the number of veterans who went to Iraq as "contractors"...what are they doing now that we've ended major operations there and Afghanistan?

We'd have to have a serious conversation about what an SRO is and does first, because hiring mercenaries to prevent school shootings is frankly as ugly as it sounds.

Folks that want more guns in schools need to be careful what they wish for, might just get it.

4 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

Yea, anyone can correct me on this, but infantry doesn't sound like it has an easy transition into civilian workforce, or at least not as many options as others would.

What also comes to mind is Blackwater and the number of veterans who went to Iraq as "contractors"...what are they doing now that we've ended major operations there and Afghanistan?

We'd have to have a serious conversation about what an SRO is and does first, because hiring mercenaries to prevent school shootings is frankly as ugly as it sounds.

Folks that want more guns in schools need to be careful what they wish for, might just get it.

I don’t for a second think it’s realistic, but it’s a solution that has been pushed before and it’s when you break down what it actually entails it’s not just morbid but also infeasible. 

I'm not sure how many of you have spent time around combat veterans but most aren't people that I would recommend transitioning to hanging around elementary schools.  And the vast majority of veterans have no combat/weapons experience.  So they would be as useful as your average mechanic or secretary. 

• Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 3

I think it's a dumb idea in both efficacy and practicality (also not sure how serious the proponents are in their belief that it will solve anything), but I'm willing to go along with it just so they can't hang it out as "we can't have gun regulation when these perfectly fine alternatives exists (which tends to be in some form of more guns at school)".  I'm not sure where the idiocy stops (3 guards instead of 2?  4 instead of 3?  10 instead of 4?  Since we can't find enough qualified people to hire, just arm the teachers?  Wait, why stop at teachers, it's the children who really need to protect themselves).

I assume this all sets up a future when the collective light bulb goes off and people decide to pass laws aimed at lowering the number of guns, not increase. Or at some point the gun ban people have the stars align and SCOTUS overturns individual rights 2nd amendment and federal ban on most guns pass (which I assume will lead to a bunch of threat by the AR crowd of "from my cold dead hands" and may or may not result in a shootout at the OK Corral).  It all seems 50/50 at this point.

14 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

I'm not sure how many of you have spent time around combat veterans but most aren't people that I would recommend transitioning to hanging around elementary schools.  And the vast majority of veterans have no combat/weapons experience.  So they would be as useful as your average mechanic or secretary. 

I'm not entirely convinced we can find 180K people in this country as whole that can be trusted to be around kids on a daily basis armed with enough firearms to stop a school shooter armed with latest gun fetish du jour.

5 hours ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

I have two very good friends who are combat veterans. One is an officer still serving the other is a retired marine, multiple tours, specifically Fallujah. Under no circumstances would I want either working in that capacity at my kids school. 

Super small sample and anecdotal, but I’ve known both of these guys for  almost 35 years. I wouldn’t trust them in that capacity around my kids. 

I always take pics of tweets with a grain of salt because it's so easy to make them up and screen shot them, but nope, that one is as real as it gets.  Wow.

"You can ban that one specific gun and nothing is going to change - that's a fact."

Dude clearly as no clue wtf a fact is.  

Edited by purbeast
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1