Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Gun Related News/Control

Cooked Crack

Livingston County votes to defy red flag bills pending in gun reform legislation

Livingston County's governing body has voted to defy extreme risk protection orders, which are part red flag gun bills that are soon to be signed by Gov. Gretchen Whitmer.

The board of commissioners approved the resolution 9-0.

An overwhelming majority of citizens who attended the commission meeting Monday night thanked the board for protecting their right to bear arms.

A lot of people who attended the meeting felt the red flag gun bills are a personal attack on the American way of life. Many of them prayed for the board of commissioners who they feel will be targeted over the vote.

If signed by the governor, it would establish extreme risk protection orders, giving the courts authority to remove guns from people believed to be a danger to others or themselves.

"I am glad Livingston County… I live here and they are holding their hand up saying, woah that’s enough — enough is enough," Bill Reiber said.

One sign singled out Livingston County Sheriff Mike Murphy, who was quick to call the legislation a violation of due process.

"We’re taking possession of somebody's property before the person has an opportunity to defend themselves," Murphy said Monday in a Facebook post.

Click on the link for the full article

Anybody got any details on what these "assault weapons bans" actually ban?  

Like, does it ban actual, functional, characteristics?  (For some time, I've been trying to use the phrase "semiautomatic weapons with easily replaced magazines".)

Or do they ban "any weapon that looks like ..."?

2 hours ago, Larry said:

Anybody got any details on what these "assault weapons bans" actually ban?  

Like, does it ban actual, functional, characteristics?  (For some time, I've been trying to use the phrase "semiautomatic weapons with easily replaced magazines".)

Or do they ban "any weapon that looks like ..."?

Surprisingly, the article actually has a link to the text of the bill

https://lawfilesext.leg.wa.gov/biennium/2023-24/Pdf/Bills/House Passed Legislature/1240-S.PL.pdf?q=20230425143018

Well, read the whole thing.  

Looks like they start off by banning a list of guns, by model.  (I have no clue what most of those models are.)  

Then they get into panning characteristics.  

Some of which, I like, and some of which I'm not sure I do.  

Although, when you get to the section on characteristics, like having a threaded barrel, or a fore grip, or a pistol grip . . . I notice that the standard seems to be "Changeable magazine and any of the following . . . ".  Which kind of, to me, says "changeable magazine is still allowed, if it has none of these other attributes".  Which makes me wonder which weapons they're intending for it to not apply to.  

6 hours ago, Larry said:

Well, read the whole thing.  

Looks like they start off by banning a list of guns, by model.  (I have no clue what most of those models are.)  

Then they get into panning characteristics.  

Some of which, I like, and some of which I'm not sure I do.  

Although, when you get to the section on characteristics, like having a threaded barrel, or a fore grip, or a pistol grip . . . I notice that the standard seems to be "Changeable magazine and any of the following . . . ".  Which kind of, to me, says "changeable magazine is still allowed, if it has none of these other attributes".  Which makes me wonder which weapons they're intending for it to not apply to.  

There are semi-automatic rifles with detachable magazines used for hunting that would not be classified as an assault weapon because they don't have threaded barrels, grips, etc.  

Are there any hunting rifles with a detachable magazine? - Quora

• Thanks 1

On 4/23/2023 at 10:39 PM, China said:

Gun Violence Is Actually Worse in Red States. It’s Not Even Close.

isten to the southern right talk about violence in America and you’d think New York City was as dangerous as Bakhmut on Ukraine’s eastern front.

In October, Florida’s Republican governor Ron DeSantis proclaimed crime in New York City was “out of control” and blamed it on George Soros. Another Sunshine State politico, former president Donald Trump, offered his native city up as a Democrat-run dystopia, one of those places “where the middle class used to flock to live the American dream are now war zones, literal war zones.” In May 2022, hours after 19 children were murdered at Robb Elementary in Uvalde, Texas, Republican Gov. Greg Abbott swatted back suggestions that the state could save lives by implementing tougher gun laws by proclaiming “Chicago and L.A. and New York disprove that thesis.”

In reality, the region the Big Apple comprises most of is far and away the safest part of the U.S. mainland when it comes to gun violence, while the regions Florida and Texas belong to have per capita firearm death rates (homicides and suicides) three to four times higher than New York’s. On a regional basis it’s the southern swath of the country — in cities and rural areas alike — where the rate of deadly gun violence is most acute, regions where Republicans have dominated state governments for decades.

If you grew up in the coal mining region of eastern Pennsylvania your chance of dying of a gunshot is about half that if you grew up in the coalfields of West Virginia, three hundred miles to the southwest. Someone living in the most rural counties of South Carolina is more than three times as likely to be killed by gunshot than someone living in the equally rural counties of New York’s Adirondacks or the impoverished rural counties facing Mexico across the lower reaches of the Rio Grande.

The reasons for these disparities go beyond modern policy differences and extend back to events that predate not only the American party system but the advent of shotguns, revolvers, ammunition cartridges, breach-loaded rifles and the American republic itself. The geography of gun violence — and public and elite ideas about how it should be addressed — is the result of differences at once regional, cultural and historical. Once you understand how the country was colonized — and by whom — a number of insights into the problem are revealed.

Click on the link for the full article

Map of gun deaths across the U.S. shows cities have lower rates than rural counties

Gun death rates are consistently higher in rural areas than in big cities, two decades of data show.

From 2011 to 2020, the most rural counties in the U.S. had a 37% higher rate of gun deaths per capita than the most urban counties, according to research published Wednesday in the journal JAMA Surgery. That's up from a 25% difference from 2000 to 2010.

The findings are based on an analysis of data from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. The authors attributed the trend to a rise in gun suicides, which outnumbered gun homicides in 2021 by more than 5,300 and are more likely to occur in rural counties.

"Rural areas are sort of ignored when we pass firearm laws, because people think that it’s just a city problem, while it’s not," said Paul Reeping, a postdoctoral fellow at the University of California, Davis' Violence Prevention Research Program, who conducted the research as a doctoral student at the Columbia University Mailman School of Public Health.

"Suicides were always the highest in rural areas. That hasn’t changed," Reeping said. "It's just that the gun deaths overall have gone up, including firearm suicides, in those areas."

From 2011 to 2020, the most rural counties had a 46% lower rate of gun homicide deaths than the most urban counties but a 76% higher rate of gun suicide deaths, according to Reeping’s analysis.

The map below, which uses a different CDC dataset from the set the report used, shows where gun deaths were concentrated from 2011 to 2020. Counties in darker blue had higher rates of firearm deaths per 100,000 people.

Click on the link for the full article and map

2 minutes ago, China said:

From 2011 to 2020, the most rural counties had a 46% lower rate of gun homicide deaths than the most urban counties but a 76% higher rate of gun suicide deaths, according to Reeping’s analysis.

Just asking, for discussion. 

If Podunk, compared to NYC, has a 46% lower murder rate, but a 76% higher suicide rate, then does that really make Podunk more dangerous than NYC?  Make it worse?  More violent?  

Or maybe a different question. Should preventing suicides be used to justify gun control?  

Man pauses date to kill parking lot scammer, then returns to restaurant, Texas cops say

A Texas man is accused of fatally shooting a fake parking attendant while on a date in Houston, according to police.

Erick Aguirre, 29, went to downtown Houston on April 11 to meet with a woman. They arrived in separate vehicles before 8 p.m., and shortly after they parked, they were approached by a man claiming to be a parking attendant, according to a criminal complaint filed April 14 in Harris County.

The man, Elliott Nix, told them it would cost $20 per vehicle to park, but that they could get their money back at the end of the night if they showed him a receipt from the restaurant, the documents said. Aguirre gave the man $40 and walked to the restaurant with his date.

But moments later, surveillance camera video captures Aguirre sprinting out of the restaurant and grabbing something from inside his vehicle after an employee told him Nix was a scammer, documents said.

A witness told investigators he saw Aguirre chasing after Nix with a handgun. They disappeared from view but the witness heard a gunshot, then saw Aguirre “nonchalantly walking back to his car,” putting the pistol away and heading back to the restaurant, documents said.

https://news.yahoo.com/man-pauses-date-kill-parking-193142598.html

Federal judge blocks Illinois assault weapons ban

A federal judge has temporarily blocked an assault weapons ban in Illinois, ruling that multiple plaintiffs who sued alleging that the law violates their Second Amendment rights have a “reasonable likelihood” to succeed in their argument. 

U.S. District Judge Stephen McGlynn issued a preliminary injunction on Friday against the state’s Protect Illinois Communities Act (PICA), which Gov. J.B. Pritzker (D) signed into law in January to ban the sale and distribution of assault-style weapons, high capacity-magazines and switches that convert handguns into assault-style firearms. 

The ruling comes after another federal judge rejected a request to block the law earlier this week.

McGlynn, a Trump appointee, said his ruling is not a final decision on the merits of the case, but he found that the individuals, gun shop, gun range and firearm industry trade association that sued met their burden for an injunction to be issued. 

The ruling was issued in the aftermath of the Supreme Court’s decision last year in New York State Rifle and Pistol Association v. Bruen, which struck down a New York law requiring that applicants for concealed carry permits show “proper cause.” The majority ruled that gun control measures need to be consistent with the country’s “historical tradition.” 

McGlynn noted that the assault weapons ban in the Illinois case was passed following the shooting at a Fourth of July parade in Highland Park, Ill., which killed seven and wounded dozens more. But he said the law does not appear to be consistent with the Bruen ruling. 

“Can the senseless crimes of a relative few be so despicable to justify the infringement of the constitutional rights of law-abiding individuals in hopes that such crimes will then abate or, at least, not be as horrific? 

Click on the link for the fuil article

1 hour ago, Larry said:

A clearly audible Bad Word contained.  

Hide contents

Having trouble understanding the tag line: “The problem with Jon Stewart.”

Is it that he uses logic, and verifiable statistics to point out the raging hypocrisy within the gop when it comes to their gun nuttery? 

Just throwing **** against the wall here.