Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Game Prediction Thread - The Commanders vs. The Falcons~ To Pluck The Feathers Of A Bird!

zCommander

Atlanta isn't bad enough to be a let down game.  It's not like the Commanders are 9-2, they are 6-5 and have played a lot of close games.  The Texans were the one team legitimately awful enough to be considered a possible trap/let down game and the team actually came out and played good football in the first half.   

If they lose this game it isn't going to be because of a let down, it will be because of another game full of missed opportunities finally landing the team on the other side of the W/L column.  Think Minnesota game all over again.  I am not sure what people are seeing from this team to suggest "let downs." The defense has remained stout against every opponent, yet the offense has been low scoring against every opponent.  That is just who they are right now, and it means every single game on the schedule is up in the air.

Commanders 17

Falcons 13

Edited by NoCalMike
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

Atlanta isn't bad enough to be a let down game.  It's not like the Commanders are 9-2, they are 6-5 and have played a lot of close games.  The Texans were the one team legitimately awful enough to be considered a possible trap/let down game and the team actually came out and played good football in the first half.   

If they lose this game it isn't going to be because of a let down, it will be because of another game full of missed opportunities finally landing the team on the other side of the W/L column.  Think Minnesota game all over again.  I am not sure what people are seeing from this team to suggest "let downs." The defense has remained stout against every opponent, yet the offense has been low scoring against every opponent.  That is just who they are right now, and it means every single game on the schedule is up in the air.

Commanders 17

Falcons 13

This brought to mind something I’ve been thinking about - our offense sustaining drives, vs our defense limiting drives - and the effect of the TOP heavy, run game heavy style we’ve been employing.

According to PFR, we’re 14th in number of plays against us, but 6 teams ahead of us have only played 10 games (and we should overtake all of them)… so we’re really at more like 8th.

According to Team Rankings, offensively we’re 3rd in average number of plays per game.

Obviously those stats aren’t perfect markers considering the change in style offensively, and the improvements we’ve seen with the D and oline.  I’d be interested to see a chart of how many plays other teams are averaging against us (and comparing that number to their scoring), and how our plays/game (and scoring) compare to other team’s numbers vs our opponents.

I wasn’t thinking about this in the context of this game specifically, but… Atlanta is tied with Houston for 28th in plays/game on offense, and they’re 2nd in number of plays against them (they might improve a couple spots when teams that have played 10 games catch up).  Who knows how this plays out, but those numbers are on our side in a big way.

This game has me a little concerned, not offensively, buy defensively.

yea, everyone is on the ' Chase is back' wagon, but with the somewhat consistency the defense has been playing as of late, I am a little worried that young's presence might get in the way of the defensive game plan.  normally one would look at this and say 'oh its only gonna get better', but i'm not so sold on that yet; i'm sure he's burning inside to make a splash play to re-make a name for himself but that might end up backfiring on the defense.  I hope not, and hope he can be the 'spy' on the QB who does run, and put a stop to that, but i'd prefer more coverage than d-line support; Mariota is smart enough to pick up quickly on hot reads and make Young dead weight.

Offensively, I think things will go as usual. Gibson would be better fit for 3rd down screen passes etc and let the bulk of running go to the younger stronger legs because he looks to be able to break tackles better and doesn't hesitate when he hits the line.

They gotta keep poised, + no more stupid body slams, this isn't Wrestlemania its football, and that meathead doesn't look like he has all the cheese on his enchilada.

bottom line commanders squeak out a win

Commies  23

Falconians 20

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Mr. Sinister said:

I smell an L. The Defense can't keep playing lights out forever. The offense has to score 20

Good D is sustainable when playing well and you've got some depth. They haven't played lights out yet. This game could easily be their best defensive performance. Nothing to indicate a letdown is coming. If the O puts up 20 or more they'll be in it to win it.

• Like 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

On 11/22/2022 at 11:27 AM, Chris 44 said:

John Allen's speech was fantastic. Acknowledged the win, pointed out how they all need to do better going forward. Called out the offense the way a leader should. Didn't point blame, stated fact. Mad respect for the dude. 

Couldn't agree more. That line he said at the end; "let's not have to have a loss to get ourselves refocused", was inspired.

• Like 2

On 11/22/2022 at 10:22 AM, Peregrine said:

Theoretically, on paper, this should be another easy win as it has some similarity to the Texans.

When Taylor Heinicke is your starting QB, no game can be called a possible easy win.  He leaves untold amounts of yards and points on the field every game.  They are winning in spite of him, not because of him.  He misses tons of open receivers and he throws or almost throws horrendous INTs every game.

Look out if they ever get a real QB.  Until then, virtually every game will continue to be a struggle to win.

Edited by cakmoney61
  • Like 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

Normally I would expect a very close game between two scrappy teams. But right now, every single player, coach, and fan of this team is sky high over lil dip**** selling. The falcons will be cooked sliced and drowned in gravy. Wash 30 Atl 3 happy thanksgiving everybody!

10 hours ago, cakmoney61 said:

When Taylor Heinicke is your starting QB, no game can be called a possible easy win.  He leaves untold amounts of yards and points on the field every game.  They are winning in spite of him, not because of him.  He misses tons of open receivers and he throws or almost throws horrendous INTs every game.

Look out if they ever get a real QB.  Until then, virtually every game will continue to be a struggle to win.

C'mon now, stop with the exaggerations. 

In spite of him? No, more BECAUSE of him. He's far more elusive than Wentz, there's no denying that; he doesn't have the arm strength Wentz does but he has a never die attitude.

He's thrown 4 picks in the last 5 games. Josh Allen has thrown 7 !  Mahomes has thrown 5 in the same game span, so are you going to call them out as well?

Shove some turkey down your pie hole and enjoy Turkey Day; meanwhile the Commies will be enjoying some slow-roasted falcon this Sunday...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Thumb up 1

I guess tanking for a QB is out the window 🤷‍♂️.

F it, let's get on board and see what happens.  

KJB - 31  

Dirty Birds - 13

No reason we should not put up 30.  Falcons D is putrid.  Defense should match up well.  I would be leary of Pitts, but not only is he injured, the Falcons never throw him the ball.

HTTC!!

On a side note...Happy Thanksgiving to all from North of the border. 🇨🇦  Hope you and your families had a great day. 

Probably just jinxed it even worse, but this was two good a deal to pass up, guy I know couldn’t sell his dream seats to this game so he sold them to me. $150 for 2 dream seats, parking pass, and 2 gold passes. So after not going to a game for about a decade until this years packers game, now I’m going to a second game this season, first time I’ve been to multiple games in a season since I was in my 20’s (I’m 40 now). 

I still feel like this is a let down game, and the Falcons beat us, but hoping we can pull one out since I’m gonna be there, either way dream seat experience will probably be sweet no matter what. 

• Like 2

We need to take an early lead.  They've got a power running game that is dangerous and we need to keep the ball out of Patterson's hands.  The dude is bigger than pretty much all of our players in the back seven except Jamin.

They can't pass block though, and Mariota often turtles up under pressure and makes god awful choices.  He will gift us the ball if we get them throwing and start wrecking his pocket.

Atlanta fans are getting antsy with Mariota and this feels like another game where we're about to get an embattled QB playing behind a bad line benched.  McLaurin gets two TDs, Gibby gets one, and we win 21-13.

On 11/24/2022 at 6:19 AM, Califan007 The Constipated said:

I think this line of thinking needs to be put to rest. This team has lost waaaaaaay too often when Heinicke wasn't starting, to make the claim that they would be winning anyway.

I have never said Washington would be winning anyway.  I am shocked that Washington has won five of six games.  The eye test informs me that the defense has gotten exponentially better since Heinicke became the starter.  It also informs me that Heinicke still has a very weak arm, that he still consistently misses open receivers, and that he still makes boneheaded throws that are intercepted or should have been intercepted.

I appreciate his moxie, but it is no substitute for actual talent.  He is not a franchise QB.  He is not the future.  He is not the reason Washington is winning right now.  That credit goes to the defense.  He is a placeholder for a reason.  Simply put, he is a poor passer of the football which makes him a liability in the passing game and to the overall effectiveness of the offense.

Added:  For skins island connection to mentioned Heinicke in the same breath as Josh Allen and Patrick Mahomes is pretty breathtaking.  I want whatever you were smoking or drinking at the time you typed your post.🙂 

Edited by cakmoney61

19 minutes ago, cakmoney61 said:

I have never said Washington would be winning anyway.  I am shocked that Washington has won five of six games.  The eye test informs me that the defense has gotten exponentially better since Heinicke became the starter.  It also informs me that Heinicke has a very weak arm, that he consistently misses open receivers, and makes boneheaded throws that are intercepted or should have been intercepted.

I appreciate his moxie, but it is no substitute for actual talent.  He is not a franchise QB.  He is not the future.  He is not the reason Washington is winning right now.  That credit goes to the defense.  He is a placeholder for a reason.  Simply put, he is a poor passer of the football which makes him a liability in the passing game and to the overall effectiveness of the offense.

None of that matters when the actual players who play with him, believe in him and play hard for him.   That is something that cannot be understated or quantified.  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, srtman04 said:

None of that matters when the actual players who play with him, believe in him and play hard for him.   That is something that cannot be understated or quantified.  

He should have at least 4-5 more ints/turnovers (wrong call in GB game that prevented a defensive Packer TD, Ref bumped into FS in Vikings game on the Samuel TD where he threw into triple coverage, 2 dropped INTs against Houston).  

5 minutes ago, srtman04 said:

I agree but it's mostly addition by subtraction.  Wentz seems to demotivate the team.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Califan007 The Constipated said:

That’s what “winning in spite of him” means, though…

Washington's winning has had little to do with Heinicke.  The offense was pedestrian to poor with Wentz and the offense is pedestrian to poor with Heinicke.  They are winning because of the improve play of the defense.  Whatever that means to you is what it means to you.