Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Game Prediction Thread - The Commanders vs. The Falcons~ To Pluck The Feathers Of A Bird!

zCommander

3 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

I just don't buy the narrative that the guys play harder for Heinicke. I just think Heinicke's entrance into the lineup coincided perfectly with the defense playing better and the OL re-stabilizing a bit. 

I think the TOP we’re achieving as a result of running so heavily, is also a boost to the defense.  The removal of WJ3, the emergence of BSJ, Davis and Curl getting his legs back all happened around the same time.  

To get back on subject, the Falcons also like to run it more than they pass it, but their TOP pales in comparison to ours.  Defense definitely not close to ours.

Ugh, bad news about BSJ - I was hopeful when they were taping him up that it was a good sign for moving forward, apparently not.  We are in no shape to start taking on injuries to key pieces.  I was hopeful that for once we could avoid the injury bug down the stretch.

All things considered, I think the Ders will pull this out but wouldn’t be surprised at all to lose a close one.

Ders         20

Falcons   17

Edited by BatteredFanSyndrome
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, cakmoney61 said:

I have never said Washington would be winning anyway.  I am shocked that Washington has won five of six games.  The eye test informs me that the defense has gotten exponentially better since Heinicke became the starter.  It also informs me that Heinicke still has a very weak arm, that he still consistently misses open receivers, and that he still makes boneheaded throws that are intercepted or should have been intercepted.

I appreciate his moxie, but it is no substitute for actual talent.  He is not a franchise QB.  He is not the future.  He is not the reason Washington is winning right now.  That credit goes to the defense.  He is a placeholder for a reason.  Simply put, he is a poor passer of the football which makes him a liability in the passing game and to the overall effectiveness of the offense.

Added:  For skins island connection to mentioned Heinicke in the same breath as Josh Allen and Patrick Mahomes is pretty breathtaking.  I want whatever you were smoking or drinking at the time you typed your post.🙂 

I simply pointed out to you the fact that in the same time frame Mahomes and Allen has thrown MORE interceptions than TH, so your comment of TH throwing picks every game is not only been blown out of the water but it shows that every WQB in the league throws picks now and then. 

i'm sorry you can't face reality...

Without St-Juste to cover Falcon WR London.... And a gimpy Logan Thomas... I'm downgrading Washington's chance vs. Falcons to ...Pick 'Em.

It'll be bad if Mariota ups his game enough to be able to find and  pass accurately to consistently get it to Drake London, because Fuller and Wildgoose can't cover London well enough. Del Rio and Harris are going to have to figure some way to shut that down, or London will be able to convert 3rd downs on Washington and keep the Falcon running game on track.  And the more I examine the Falcon running game, the more I see how its going to be a big challenge for the Washington D.  So, Washington needs to stymie Atlanta's running game and avoid getting worn down by preventing any Falcons' long extended ground-powered drives.

Heinicke and company will need to avoid turnovers and put up at least 27 points to win this one, unless Mariota gifts Washington with a few turnovers.

Edited by Wyvern

A must win game for both teams.  If Atlanta wins, we now are no longer in control of our own destiny. Last week was a game we could give. Only losing it would have made me wonder if this team was good.  Beating Atlanta, especially in a dominate way, would signal that we are a good team and keep us in the driver seat for a playoff spot. I also want this defense to get us a few SFOs.

Washington: 30

Atlanta: 10

D-Line is gonna have to protect the back end while also stiffing the run.

Screens are what I am most afraid of this week, but I think the line can force an errant pass or fumble that will help tip things in our favor and offset London's impact.

The O is just gonna have to run the ball a ton again. Maybe B-Rob or Gibby will rip a chunk play.

3 hours ago, skins island connection said:

I simply pointed out to you the fact that in the same time frame Mahomes and Allen has thrown MORE interceptions than TH, so your comment of TH throwing picks every game is not only been blown out of the water but it shows that every WQB in the league throws picks now and then. 

i'm sorry you can't face reality...

Please stop.  You bringing up interceptions is about the only thing you can compare among them.  You are comparing a bottom 5 QB with two top 3 QBs.  Compare all of his throws with all of their throws and the comparisons become utterly absurd.  

Edited by cakmoney61
  • Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

1 hour ago, cakmoney61 said:

Please stop.  You bringing up interceptions is about the only thing you can compare among them.  You are comparing a bottom 5 QB with two top 3 QBs.  Compare all of his throws with all of their throws and the comparisons become utterly absurd.  

Someone at one point compared Howell to Allen so we have officially seen it all

• Haha 2

One thing I can say:  everyone on sports talk radio here in ATL is scared to death.  They know Allen and Payne can bring the pressure, our secondary is improving, and Heini can motivate.   (Pitts is out for the Falcons, Mariota sucks, etc.)

What they don't talk about is that it will be ST21 Day.  It'll be emotional, and I'm hoping it brings out the very best our team has to offer...a HUGE WIN !!!

Hail, y'all!  :1386: 

• Like 7
  • Thumb up 1

1 hour ago, skinsmarydu said:

One thing I can say:  everyone on sports talk radio here in ATL is scared to death.  They know Allen and Payne can bring the pressure, our secondary is improving, and Heini can motivate.   (Pitts is out for the Falcons, Mariota sucks, etc.)

What they don't talk about is that it will be ST21 Day.  It'll be emotional, and I'm hoping it brings out the very best our team has to offer...a HUGE WIN !!!

Hail, y'all!  :1386: 

None of the players were on the team then.

19 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

Sucks we essentially lost St. Juste when the game was already over. That was one of my fears at the end of that Texan game. London is gonna be a problem now since our other CBs are all smaller guys.

Too many times over the years this team has been undone by bad play, bad coaching, bad luck, bad calls, or injuries at the worst possible times.  Here we go again.  Holcomb and St. Juste are huge losses.  Since this is one of those big games that comes around every once in a while for Washington, I was already not feeling confident about them winning.  The loss of Holcomb and St. Juste just makes matters worse, because the strength of this team is its defense.

For Washington to win, I think the DL has to play at an even higher level or the offense needs to take a significant step up.  It sure would be nice if they got this W.

• Like 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Listening to Logan Paulsen, he thinks the Falcons run game is handful even for this defense.  Heavy sets-well organized, really good O line.

I’m not sold on our perimeter run D.  I think our ends have done a pretty good job here (along with our DTs sometimes getting into the backfield before a play gets going), but they’re going to be stressed by Mariota’s ability to run, coupled with Patterson and (as you say) a good oline.  If St Juste were in, I’d say we should just sell out to stop the run.  Probably would still go that route.

7 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

I’m not sold on our perimeter run D.  I think our ends have done a pretty good job here (along with our DTs sometimes getting into the backfield before a play gets going), but they’re going to be stressed by Mariota’s ability to run, coupled with Patterson and (as you say) a good oline.  If St Juste were in, I’d say we should just sell out to stop the run.  Probably would still go that route.

Paulsen basically thinks the combination of them having a really good O line, a full back, multiple TE sets and two big backs, supplemented by Patterson and at times Mariotta running himself will be a handful for this defense.  He seems genuinely impressed with how good they can move the ball on the ground.

I was listening to an Atlanta reporter on Keim's podcast, it was sort of an odd podcast because in one sense he was describing the players as being really good, and they do this good and that good, etc.  Felt like I was hearing him describe a SB team.  Then he generalizes the team as not being that good.  Then hems and haws as for who will win the game, says it can go either way but would bet on the Commanders.

Edited by Skinsinparadise

They're a good run team. But we held our own against the Eagles run offense which is the most similar style so that gives me optimism. 

We gotta try to throw on their defense and rack up points to get them off their run plan. Their defense is really bad, particularly against the pass.

• Like 1

On 11/24/2022 at 5:40 AM, cakmoney61 said:

When Taylor Heinicke is your starting QB, no game can be called a possible easy win.  He leaves untold amounts of yards and points on the field every game.  They are winning in spite of him, not because of him.  He misses tons of open receivers and he throws or almost throws horrendous INTs every game.

Look out if they ever get a real QB.  Until then, virtually every game will continue to be a struggle to win.

I don't know.  Last week was pretty much cruise control for the entire 2nd half.  Boring 2nd half, but the game was never in doubt which is a very rare thing to occur in the past 10 years for this the WC/WFT/Skins.

I agree that TH is a liability throwing it, but his pocket presence and mobility is what this offense needs right now considering how bad the middle of their OL is.  TH looked to me like a game manager last week.  Hopefully the same can happen tomorrow. 

- Take what the ATL D gives you and don't press (this, IMO is TH biggest achilles heel)

- Don't get behind in yards due to tackles behind the line (sacks/runs or poorly executed screens) and/or offsides/hold flags creating long 3rd downs

- WC D controls ATL run game and makes them pass

- Win in TOP 

ATL has not been able to score over 20 when playing half-way decent defenses.

• Like 2

I feel sorry for the team from Washington, I really wanted to pick them and my KOD is only slightly behind Mike Greenberg.

However, Cordelle Patterson is "manster" and will have his yards.  But will he have his points?

Tough decision on two teams that shouldn't even be thinking about paloffs, and yet are.

This will be an ugly loss, because these teams have ugly wins.

Georgia Peaches - 19

District of Colombian Contra-bandidos - 18.5

:229:The Rook