Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Game Day Thread: Washington at Houston - They've got oil, we've got MOXIE

TK

4 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

This.  I look at our team very similar to the 49ers.  It's defense first, then a heavy dose of the running game.  Both QB's are question marks, but Jimmy G shows ability that Heinicke doesn't, which is the ability to attack.  Jimmy G takes a lot of the same criticisms as Heinicke does (from 49ers fans an local media) but Heinicke's short-comings are more obvious and pronounced than Jimmy G's. 

49ers have a more skill position talent. Mclaurin is great but we don’t have a McCaffery and our Samuel aint as good as theres. 

Just now, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Dallas being favored by the guys in Vegas on the road against a 8-1 team was a tell tale sign they saw something in the analytics that goes against conventional thought.

Vikes are due a loss and Cowboys coming off a loss were due to win. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

This.  I look at our team very similar to the 49ers.  It's defense first, then a heavy dose of the running game.  Both QB's are question marks, but Jimmy G shows ability that Heinicke doesn't, which is the ability to attack.  Jimmy G takes a lot of the same criticisms as Heinicke does (from 49ers fans an local media) but Heinicke's short-comings are more obvious and pronounced than Jimmy G's. 

To your point, Buffalo kicked like 5 field goals today while rushing for over 160 yards and playing great defense. This formula is still a way to win at any level of football. They didn't let Superman Josh Allen have to do it all himself and they won as a team. It's exactly what we're doing. You could argue that the defense is playing more inspired because they know TH will keep them in games by not taking sacks and not losing games with mistakes. We all want Patrick Mahomes but I'd be fine with Jim McMahon if you give me the 85 Bears defense. Lots of ways to skin a cat.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

13 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Heinicke is bad but hes not so bad you cant win with him. 

But our ceiling is capped with him. 

Is it?  I mean, if your defense plays at an elite level and they run the ball they way they are running the ball (quantity more than quality) then who knows?  They just beat the Eagles with that formula.  Could they beat the Chiefs or Bills like that?  I mean, unlikely, and TH would have to play a lot better on third downs.  But it’s not impossible.  Neither the Chiefs nor the Bills defense is great at stopping the run.  They would be 14 point underdogs for a reason. 

Where they would be dead meat would be against a team that can score and stop the run.  Tampa might be a really bad matchup.  

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

49ers have a more skill position talent. Mclaurin is great but we don’t have a McCaffery and our Samuel aint as good as theres. 

Correct. And that’s not even mentioning Kittle, Aiyuk, and their OL (and scheme) being better

3 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

To your point, Buffalo kicked like 5 field goals today while rushing for over 160 yards and playing great defense. This formula is still a way to win at any level of football. They didn't let Superman Josh Allen have to do it all himself and they won as a team. It's exactly what we're doing. You could argue that the defense is playing more inspired because they know TH will keep them in games by not taking sacks and not losing games with mistakes. We all want Patrick Mahomes but I'd be fine with Jim McMahon if you give me the 85 Bears defense. Lots of ways to skin a cat.

Ok, but you are talking about a game here or there, versus that is how you HAVE TO win every single game.   It isn't the same situation.  Just like expecting the defense to perform at this level every single drive of every single game.  This was a 1 win Houston Texans team and the offense scored 1 TD.  I get that every team, including the good ones, will have those random games where they have to win without their normal strengths shining, but that is usually an aberration not the norm. 

Just now, Voice_of_Reason said:

Is it?  I mean, if your defense plays at an elite level and they run the ball they way they are running the ball (quantity more than quality) then who knows?  They just beat the Eagles with that formula.  Could they beat the Chiefs or Bills like that?  I mean, unlikely, and TH would have to play a lot better on third downs.  But it’s not impossible.  Neither the Chiefs nor the Bills defense is great at stopping the run.  They would be 14 point underdogs for a reason. 

Where they would be dead meat would be against a team that can score and stop the run.  Tampa might be a really bad matchup.  

Right?  The Colts nearly beat the Eagles with the same game plan we had.  Difference is the Colts defense isn't the Commanders defense.  

3 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

This isn't a good comparison at all. There's a huge difference between running the ball a bunch because that's what the other team is giving you and running the ball a bunch because you can't do much else.

If the opposing team doesn't sell out to stop big pass plays, then Allen can absolutely light them up through the air. The same isn't at all true with Heinicke.

I don't get why people insist sometimes on taking one example that's an oddity and talking about it as if it's the rule and not the exception.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

Right?  The Colts nearly beat the Eagles with the same game plan we had.  Difference is the Colts defense isn't the Commanders defense.  

I want to be really clear: I still think TH is massively limited and is in general a bad quarterback.  

It’s more the style of play and defense I’m talking about.  If they keep that up, they can compensate for having a bad QB and hope he has a really good game (for him)  at the right time.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

I want to be really clear: I still think TH is massively limited and is in general a bad quarterback.  

It’s more the style of play and defense I’m talking about.  If they keep that up, they can compensate for having a bad QB and hope he has a really good game (for him)  at the right time.

I agree. I think what is frustrating me is that a lot of people are viewing Heinicke's performances as "good QB play" when to me it is pretty average to mediocre, it's just that it hasn't mattered because of how well the defense was playing.  You throw Heinicke's output onto a team with a middle of the pack or worse defense and it's likely loss after loss.  This offense has the skill position players to rack up points, but it isn't happening.  Outside of the 49ers, and the Falcons a little bit....(they aren't good, but also not horrible) the rest of the schedule should be winnable with the style of football being played right now, but that doesn't magically make Heinicke a good QB.  That's all I am saying.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Koolblue13 said:

Ah sorry guys. It's just been bad for a very  very long time and it still is. 

As a very longtime (glory years) fan, I am excited for the wins.  We are getting them despite our many shortcomings.  We beat the Eagles just last week.  I love football season and all I want for this team, is to win.  Hopefully with Snyder most likely selling the team, I can return to cheering this team, with a new name, on in person.  We see Heinicke play, but we don’t see Wentz practice.  Maybe his hand is still a problem.  I don’t know, but we are winning with Heinicke and that’s what matters to me.  I’d take today over a loss in a high powered offensive 49-52 shootout.  Only the W and L matter at the end of the day. IMO

Edited by PolarExpress
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Conn said:

You’re too smart to say stuff like this 

Statistical regression is a thing and the NFL is often a prime example of it. It's why the Eagles had a bunch of turnovers against us last week after having very few. Its why Sweat had a bunch of sacks today.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Warhead36 said:

Statistical regression is a thing and the NFL is often a prime example of it. It's why the Eagles had a bunch of turnovers against us last week after having very few. Its why Sweat had a bunch of sacks today.

There’s no such thing as being “due”. Regression is different than talking about someone being due like a gambler lol. Like flipping a coin and saying after 12 straight heads, tails is due. No, it’s not. The numbers will even out over a larger sample size but at no point is a specific outcome “due” in terms of prediction. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Dallas being favored by the guys in Vegas on the road against a 8-1 team was a tell tale sign they saw something in the analytics that goes against conventional thought.

Vikings suck

kirk cant play when under pressure

• Like 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1