Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Game Day Thread: Washington at Houston - They've got oil, we've got MOXIE

TK

1 hour ago, FLSkinz83 said:

What was Scott's excuse for the inept scheme/playcalling with Wentz?     

Well, In 3 of the 5 games Wentz started, Jax, Detroit and Tenn, the offense was pretty productive. 

the play calling at the goal line in the Tenn game  I take exception to.  

That’s also the period the OL was a complete and total wreck with Martin starting at center, and Charles at guard.  If you don’t think that effected everything offensively, you’re nuts. 

1 hour ago, FLSkinz83 said:

I'm not sure what the criteria is for a Hiver, but I definitely respect the guy a lot more than most others.

Oh, you’re a Hiver through and through.  Irrational placement of blame anywhere but where it lies is the #1 sign of a Hiver.  

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, tshile said:

I turned on the postgame from 980 right after the game

doc Walker is insufferable. I used to like him. I enjoyed his character. But he was all pissy cause it wasn’t a knockout. 

We could have easily won 30-10 but Gibson slid instead of walking into the endzone. Not sure what else we could have done.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bacon said:

We could have easily won 30-10 but Gibson slid instead of walking into the endzone. Not sure what else we could have done.

The Texans were begging to get Molly whopped but the offense either punted or kicked FGs.  The defense was rabid and relentless and then sort of let up and allowed the Texans to score.

At no point was the game in question, but they could have made it a signature win by beating the brakes off them- they were asking for it.

That said, it’s an odd take for Doc as he usually only cares about winning even if it’s ugly.  

10 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Well, In 3 of the 5 games Wentz started, Jax, Detroit and Tenn, the offense was pretty productive. 

the play calling at the goal line in the Tenn game  I take exception to.  

That’s also the period the OL was a complete and total wreck with Martin starting at center, and Charles at guard.  If you don’t think that effected everything offensively, you’re nuts. 

Oh, you’re a Hiver through and through.  Irrational placement of blame anywhere but where it lies is the #1 sign of a Hiver.  

O line sucks man, whether you're a Wentzer, Hiver, or Howler. But regardless of that we are winning....you do get that right? Five of the last six. Get some sleep and enjoy your cruise. Double up on the lamb chops......

12 minutes ago, Bacon said:

He outsmarted himself there. That wasn’t the right move in that situation.  Just score there and put an exclamation point on the win.

2 minutes ago, Dan T. said:

He outsmarted himself there. That wasn’t the right move in that situation.  Just score there and put an exclamation point on the win.

He probably just wanted to keep the clock moving, which I don’t disagree with. Would’ve loved a TD though to end the game 

3 minutes ago, Hazel-Ra said:

I’m quite aware of the millennial definition of that term. I’m using it in the context of simpleton.

Oh ok, in that context I agree 

They scored 3 points in the second half.  They were up three scores.  They had four possessions.  One was a 6 minute FG drive.  One was the final drive where they had a TD, but slid down trying to kill the clock.  One drive ended at midfield on a 4th and 1 (who jumped on the false start - can’t remember).  Again, three score game.  May have been more aggressive with a different score.  The other drive was non productive, conservative play-calling (up three scores) after being pinned deep following the sweet Forest INT.

Context matters.  It would have been nice to hang 40, but it wasn’t like they were scoreless in the first half, scoreless for three quarters, or put of 3 points for the first three quarters.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Dan T. said:

I dont agree with that.  He slide thinking he had the first down but probably didnt know realize that the rules of changed and he is down when he starts the slide and not where he lands...

But getting down after getting the first down and not scoring is the 100% the right decision.  If Texans decide to keep playing then all you do is risking your defensive players getting hurt trying to play prevent defense.  It is just better for all to just get the first down so they can just go into victory formation.

23 minutes ago, tmandoug1 said:

O line sucks man, whether you're a Wentzer, Hiver, or Howler. But regardless of that we are winning....you do get that right? Five of the last six. Get some sleep and enjoy your cruise. Double up on the lamb chops......

Lamb chops might be tomorrow night. :)

OL does suck but it sucks less with Larsen and a healthier Turner rather than Martin and Charles. What we had out there from the Detroit game after Rouiller went down to when Larsen returned was worse than anything I’ve seen in ages.

I’m none of Wentzer, Hiver or Howler.  I think I’m mostly in the camp the 2023 starter isn’t on the roster.  

57 minutes ago, Dan T. said:

I kind of agree but I can see why they don't want to seem like they're padding the stats and score

Edited by MrJL

NFL Research: With his performance Sunday, Curtis Samuel is now one of four WRs in the Super Bowl era with 600-plus rush yards, six-plus rush TDs, 2,500-plus receiving yards and 15-plus receiving TDs in a career. The other players are Jerry Rice, Tyreek Hill and Eric Metcalf.

Next Gen stat of the game: Jonathan Allen had seven QB pressures and two sacks on 32 pass rushes (21.9 pressure percent).

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

I think what's being missed here by some (not all) is that most of us who think a healthy Wentz should be starting over Heinicke aren't necessarily Wentz enthusiasts, just that we are seeing the production of Heinicke behind a O-line healthy & more consistent, (same guys lining up and starting next to each other for multiple games in a row) good running game and stout defense that is holding every opponent under 20 points, yet still not playing particularly well and wondering to ourselves how did the coaches opinion on Wentz change so drastically that even when healthy, they don't view him as the better option.  It's not like this is 2020 or even some of 2021 where Heinicke is taking off and running all the time, or doing anything out there to show a clear competitive advantage.  He is not throwing for very much yardage, until today against a 1 win team, was throwing at least one costly INT every game (and today he threw two right into the hands of defenders that were dropped), is nearly non-existent as a QB in the red zone etc etc......if I was watching Heinicke and seeing an upgraded and/or different caliber QB the I saw the previous two seasons then okay, lets chat, but he still relatively looks like the same guy.  

The running game right now is a luxury and doing a lot of the heavy lifting, but we are fooling ourselves if we think the offense was constructed personnel-wise to be this slow prodding low-risk, low ceiling style.  In fact quite the opposite, the very fact that the running game is producing, should be an enhancement to the passing game, but it hasn't really been all that much. Why do we think that is?   Why did the offense struggle to do much more than score a single TD?   Every area of the team has improved over the last 5 games except one. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

40 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

I think what's being missed here by some (not all) is that most of us who think a healthy Wentz should be starting over Heinicke aren't necessarily Wentz enthusiasts, just that we are seeing the production of Heinicke behind a O-line healthy & more consistent, (same guys lining up and starting next to each other for multiple games in a row) good running game and stout defense that is holding every opponent under 20 points, yet still not playing particularly well and wondering to ourselves how did the coaches opinion on Wentz change so drastically that even when healthy, they don't view him as the better option.  It's not like this is 2020 or even some of 2021 where Heinicke is taking off and running all the time, or doing anything out there to show a clear competitive advantage.  He is not throwing for very much yardage, until today against a 1 win team, was throwing at least one costly INT every game (and today he threw two right into the hands of defenders that were dropped), is nearly non-existent as a QB in the red zone etc etc......if I was watching Heinicke and seeing an upgraded and/or different caliber QB the I saw the previous two seasons then okay, lets chat, but he still relatively looks like the same guy.  

The running game right now is a luxury and doing a lot of the heavy lifting, but we are fooling ourselves if we think the offense was constructed personnel-wise to be this slow prodding low-risk, low ceiling style.  In fact quite the opposite, the very fact that the running game is producing, should be an enhancement to the passing game, but it hasn't really been all that much. Why do we think that is?   Why did the offense struggle to do much more than score a single TD?   Every area of the team has improved over the last 5 games except one. 

Well said.  Much better then I could ever dream of.  I remember texting my Colts friend during the Jags game and telling him it's nice for once seeing a HIGH POWERED PASSSING offense.  Wentz has a fine year last year with the Colts behind a stout OL and a good run game.  That was absent in all of Wentz' starts this season... all of them.  And don't get me started on the D.

3) There is not a better story this year than the Commanders' recent turnaround, especially when you consider how much adversity the players and coaches have faced this season.

They opened the season 1-4, found themselves caught in the despicable web of controversy created by owner Daniel Snyder, received a scare when rookie running back Brian Robinson was shot twice on Aug. 28 during an attempted robbery, and were forced to answer questions about whether they partnered with the wrong quarterback after trading for Carson Wentz.

All they've done since is win five of six, including handing the Eagles their only loss of the season. Their defensive line, which is loaded with high draft picks, is playing like a dominant force -- and it should only get stronger with Chase Young expected to return from injury soon. The team appears to have found a kindred spirit in quarterback Taylor Heinicke, who has been overlooked and counted out for much of his career. Heinicke has provided spirited play and timely passes since replacing Wentz.

I don't know where the Commanders will wind up at the end of the year -- at 6-5, they're still in fourth place in the NFC East, with two more losses than the third-place Giants. But I do know they're the best story in the league to this point.

https://www.nfl.com/news/six-things-i-know-or-think-i-know-so-far-in-2022-nfl-season-jets-in-trouble-viki

Edited by Califan007 The Constipated
  • Like 4
  • Thumb up 2

41 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

The problem is the offensive line is not as good as you think it is, and Wentz's throwing platform really needs his feet to be kept clean.

It's not a good fit currently.

8 hours ago, mistertim said:

Defense dominated. Offense was mediocre at best. A decent offense would have dropped 40 on them. Ours scored 1 TD.

The Texans have allowed an average of 23 PPG this season over 10 games, so it would be pretty insane to think a "decent" offense would score 40 on them.

But.... you know... I guess looking things up is hard sometimes.

7 minutes ago, Peregrine said:

The Texans have allowed an average of 23 PPG this season over 10 games, so it would be pretty insane to think a "decent" offense would score 40 on them.

But.... you know... I guess looking things up is hard sometimes.

I’ll go on record as saying I wanted our offense to score more TDs against them, instead of FGs, but I didn’t know that defensive statistic about the Texans. Interesting. 

the Texans allowed 30+ twice this season (and 29 to Philly) so I was definitely hoping we’d score at least another TD to put us at 30.

Edited by Cooleyfan1993