Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Nah Nah Nah…Nah Nah Nah…Hey Hey Hey…GOODBYE CLOWNSHOES

Koolblue13

34 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Yo Vinny Mac would actually be a god tier owner. He could just come out and slam Mara or Jerruh with a chair and instantly sell 100,000 season tickets "lolol"

Can you imagine a QB controversy under McMahon?!

Top 30 Cage Match GIFs | Find the best GIF on Gfycat

Edited by Riggo#44
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

9 hours ago, Always A Commander Never A Captain said:

@Bifflog@NoVaSkins21@SoCalSkins

I'm confused, did Forbes break it, or did Perez break it?

I saw it first from Perez.

Some context on this bidding process here (interesting re: Bezos and Harris, and how the Broncos deal went down):

https://www.phillyvoice.com/josh-harris-76ers-devils-buy-washington-commanders-sale-nfl-rumors-news-update/

Edited by Bifflog
  • Thanks 2

9 hours ago, Always A Commander Never A Captain said:

@Bifflog@NoVaSkins21@SoCalSkins

I'm confused, did Forbes break it, or did Perez break it?

Perez broke Bezos not having a bid. Forbes had an article about the bids being higher than expected and that Bezos was planning to bid with Jay Z.  Everything in Forbes seems to be pro Snyder. They haven’t written anything about Bezos being out.  It they do write about Bezos being out it would probably mean Snyder is trying to create a bidding war. Maybe that’s what happened with Perez.

If the other bidders don’t think Bezos is in play then they think they have a chance. So they keep bidding against each other. It’s in Dan’s interest for the other bidders to believe that Bezos is not involved at this point. When they get the best and final they can take it to Bezos and ask for 500 million more as a take it or leave it. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, SoCalSkins said:

Perez broke Bezos not having a bid. Forbes had an article about the bids being higher than expected and that Bezos was planning to bid with Jay Z.  Everything in Forbes seems to be pro Snyder. They haven’t written anything about Bezos being out.  It they do write about Bezos being out it would probably mean Snyder is trying to create a bidding war. Maybe that’s what happened with Perez.

If the other bidders don’t think Bezos is in play then they think they have a chance. So they keep bidding against each other. It’s in Dan’s interest for the other bidders to believe that Bezos is not involved at this point. When they get the best and final they can take it to Bezos and ask for 500 million more as a take it or leave it. 

This line of thinking does seem to jive with the Philly Voice article.  Harris is more lightly involved for exactly this reason, seems to feel like he was used to drum up the price for the Waltons and doesn't want to be used the same way for Bezos.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

Random, but talking about Snyder with a buddy of mine, I relayed something to him that I'll share with you guys from Scarface.  It's a favorite movie of mine, I'm sure it's a favorite of yours, too.

Anyway, in the opening scene where Tony is getting grilled by US immigration officers.  Starts off pretty innocent, standard stuff, but then it ramps up and then Tony throws a fit, declaring himself a political prisoner from Cuba and before they drag him out he says "There's nothing that you can do to me that Castro has not already done to me."

And that's exactly how I feel as a football fan of this team.  There's nothing you can do to me that Snyder has not already done to me.

Edited by Spaceman Spiff
  • Like 2
  • Haha 4
  • Thumb up 3

1 hour ago, Chris 44 said:

Excuse me, I said excuse me. Can I get a refill over here? Man service here sucks.

What trips me out is the cat sitting at the table chowing down, listening to his podcast, not giving 2 ****s about the brawl going on just a few feet away.  He doesn’t skip a beat or move a muscle.  😂 

• Haha 1
  • Thumb up 1

25 minutes ago, Commander PK said:

What trips me out is the cat sitting at the table chowing down, listening to his podcast, not giving 2 ****s about the brawl going on just a few feet away.  He doesn’t skip a beat or move a muscle.  😂 

"Man this sure is good, and I never miss John Keim's podcast"

• Haha 2

28 minutes ago, sj4vols said:

It's going to be Bezos.  The Suns sale showed you don't need to be in the first group of bidders.  

I actually I’m hoping it’s not… having read a lot about Josh Harris and his group it’s clear this guy and group  knows sports and has turned some franchises around… imho all Bezos knows is making money… that’s fine and all but making money off of ppl selling used books and then capitalizing furthermore is another animal compared to producing a winning sports franchise… sure many have but none to the name of Jeff Bezos and many will say just hire the right ppl and that will take care of itself…. Again hiring the right ppl in the real business world is a different animal then the sports world… just my 2 cents though…

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, ashlynskins said:

I actually I’m hoping it’s not… having read a lot about Josh Harris and his group it’s clear this guy and group  knows sports and has turned some franchises around… imho all Bezos knows is making money… that’s fine and all but making money off of ppl selling used books and then capitalizing furthermore is another animal compared to producing a winning sports franchise… sure many have but none to the name of Jeff Bezos and many will say just hire the right ppl and that will take care of itself…. Again hiring the right ppl in the real business world is a different animal then the sports world… just my 2 cents though…

You don't think this feeling is a little born out of every Washington fan's natural desire to not be seen?  Like our only chance is to sneak up on everyone?

• Thumb up 1

There's going to be so much trickery and misdirection by interested parties that it almost doesn't seem worth following this story until there's an real announcement. 

Not many opportunities come up to buy into the prestige of the NFC East, and this market is so lucrative. I'm sure anyone who ever considered buying into the NFL is scrounging to put together a bid.

I wouldn't be shocked if the winner is someone no one's yet mentioned, even this far along into the process.

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

10 hours ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

Yes but the Bezos group has zero experience in owning sports franchises.  

Edit: I share your feelings on Leonsis  

This is a good point which I thought about regarding Harris. Should he be the guy he's gonna come in with great experience as an owner in pro sports. That in itself should be a plus. 

2 hours ago, sj4vols said:

It's going to be Bezos.  The Suns sale showed you don't need to be in the first group of bidders.  

Welcome.

Bezos doesn't need experience in owning sports franchises. Its not like he had experience in online businesses either before Amazon blew up. But Bezos will be able to attract the absolute best people. He will no doubt upgrade our facilities and amenities to top notch. He will demand the pushing of analytics and data driven work amongst our FO and coaches. 

I don't think we NEED Bezos as our owner but having someone like that would allow US to be a potential trend setter and be on the cutting edge. A far cry from the laughable joke we've been in the Snyder Era(an owner who literally didn't even have an email address). 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

Another reason I think it will be Bezos:  none of the offers were reported to be over 6.3 billion.

The Commanders are going to go for 7+.  The NFL is an amazing business and the Commanders are one of the greatest franchises ever.  Just needs a little TLC after the degradation of the brand the past 20 years.  

I think Bezos will do what the Suns guy did and make a big offer at the end.

Bezos would be awesome.  He brings a metric ton of money and maybe more importantly:  instant credibility.  This is literally one of the 2-3 richest men in the world.

The NFL, you can bet your bottom dollar, is absolutely salivating at adding him to their ranks, as well.

Edited by sj4vols

This isn't a soccer team in Ashburn or Bethesda.

This is the most popular sports league in in the national capital of the world's only hyper power: the United freakin' States.

The NFL wants Bezos more than anyone else, I can guarantee that.  

This is big boy stuff.

Get Bezos and a stadium at the RFK site and this is one of the 2-3 most coveted franchises in the league again.

Edited by sj4vols
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1

Josh Harris is no stranger to owning sports teams. And, as a rumored front-runner to buy the Washington Commanders, the Miami-based billionaire could be adding another franchise to his collection. 

NBC Sports Washington reported this week that Harris, the managing partner of the NBA’s Philadelphia 76ers and the NHL’s New Jersey Devils, is “perhaps the top candidate” to buy the Commanders — with Amazon founder Jeff Bezos yet to make an offer and investor Todd Boehly dropping out of the bidding. 

There are a lot of dominoes still to fall, but Harris’ track record across two major North American franchises offers insight into how the Commanders might operate differently under someone other than Dan Snyder. Though the NBA and the NHL are most decidedly not the NFL — nothing in the world of sports is, really — Harris and his ownership group, Harris Blitzer Sports and Entertainment, have shown the billionaire is willing to gamble big when it comes to running a sports franchise.

“Owning a club, the city is really depending on you to win,” Harris said at a London business conference in 2021. “That’s different, you know, to when you are a fan, and you can kind of make comments. You are actually involved in the decision-making. You have a lot of responsibility.”

In the NBA, the 76ers are a contender in the Eastern Conference with two stars in Joel Embiid and James Harden, a championship-winning coach in Doc Rivers and a top executive in Daryl Morey. But they didn’t become that overnight — and the, ahem, process to get there is what has defined Harris’ tenure.

Two years after buying the 76ers in 2011, Harris opted for a polarizing bottom-out strategy that spearheaded the league’s debate on tanking. By hiring general manager Sam Hinkie, Philadelphia embraced tearing down its roster in an attempt to lose as many games as possible to shore up better draft positioning.  

The 76ers didn’t invent the strategy, though the team took it to the extreme over a multi-year plan. That approach, better known as “The Process,” was divisive — Hinkie resigned near the end of his third season, months after Harris hired Jerry Colangelo as a special adviser — but was ultimately rewarding. The 76ers drafted Embiid with the third overall pick in 2014 and had collected enough assets to trade for Harden last year.  

“We have conviction that our strategy is right,” Harris told the Daily Pennsylvanian in 2017.

In the NHL, Harris’ Devils haven’t gone to the extreme of bottoming out — but the owner has shown patience and the willingness to swing big since buying the franchise in 2013. In Harris’ tenure as owner, the Devils have been aggressive with trades for stars such as winger Taylor Hall (2016) and defenseman P.K. Subban (2019). But they’ve also generally drafted well, hitting on the selections of centers Nico Hischier and Jack Hughes with the first overall picks in 2017 and 2019. 

Unlike the 76ers, who are on track for a sixth straight postseason appearance, Harris hasn’t found the same level of success with the Devils. New Jersey has made the playoffs just once — in 2017-18  — under Harris’ ownership, and it didn’t last long: the Devils were bounced in the first round. That said, this season, the Devils are 29-12-3 entering Wednesday’s action — the third-best record in the league.

With both teams, Harris and his ownership group have largely allowed coaches and executives the time to prove themselves. The 76ers have had five different lead executives and three coaches over the last 12 years. The Devils, by contrast, have had three general managers and six coaches — including two “co-coaches” in 2014-15 and an interim in 2019-20 — over the last 10 years.  But Harris has made abrupt changes when he felt they were needed: He fired former 76ers general manager Tony DiLeo after just one season to hire Hinkie. 

Harris, meanwhile, has long been interested in acquiring an NFL team.

His group was involved in trying to buy the Broncos, going so far as to tour Denver’s facility and meeting with several members of the organization before Walmart heir Rob Walton purchased the team. According to the Philly Voice, Harris and his company have “collected a wealth of data on the Commanders’ situation, but the line of dialogue has been nowhere close to the same, with some characterizing the contact as nonexistent.” 

Before that, Harris and his business partner, David Blitzer, purchased a minority stake — reportedly worth less than 5% — in the Pittsburgh Steelers in 2020. The two men have also dipped into the soccer market as both have minority stakes in Crystal Palace F.C., an English Premier League team. 

The Commanders in particular could have a special connection to Harris. The businessman, who built his wealth in the private equity world by co-founding Apollo Global Management, grew up in Chevy Chase, Maryland, and went to The Field School in the District.

• Thanks 1