Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Nah Nah Nah…Nah Nah Nah…Hey Hey Hey…GOODBYE CLOWNSHOES

Koolblue13

1 hour ago, clskinsfan said:

If everything Fertitta touches turns to gold why would he be in a position to draft Wembanyama? The Rockets suck ass. And have the past three seasons. Fertitta took a perennial conference finalist ofr semi finalist and drove it into the ground. No thanks. We already experienced that over the past 25 years.

image.jpeg

And I have no idea why this image is on my post. I didnt put it there.

You got me.  I guess McClain is referring to his restaurants.

• Like 1

Give me Bezos over Frittata

I'd rather an owner that doesn't have his attention divided among multiple sports franchises, provided he shows the ability to delegate to "football people" which I'm confident Bezos would...

Plus he has FU money to get a stadium deal done right away

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

You will not find me ranking new owner candidates. How someone can decide how good a new owner of the Commanders would be based on how they run a business or how they run a team in another sport is beyond me. As long as an owner is willing to hire the most talented up and coming GM candidate and have enough liquidity to give big signing bonuses is all I need.

Edited by actorguy1
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, actorguy1 said:

You will not find me ranking new owner candidates. How someone can guess how good a new owner of the Commanders would be based on how they run a business or how they run a team in another sport is beyond me. As long as an owner is willing to hire the most talented up and coming GM candidate and have enough liquidity to give big signing bonuses is all I need.

this ultimately is the right answer.  I will only caveat that if you have run a sports franchise you have an idea of how that world works.  It’s different than other types of business.  But that does not mean they can’t learn quickly.  And as you point out if they are willing to put smart football people in charge and get out of the way, that is pretty much all that’s needed.  

• Like 4
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

34 minutes ago, actorguy1 said:

You will not find me ranking new owner candidates. How someone can guess how good a new owner of the Commanders would be based on how they run a business or how they run a team in another sport is beyond me. As long as an owner is willing to hire the most talented up and coming GM candidate and have enough liquidity to give big signing bonuses is all I need.

I think on some counts you can make a strong guess as to how they run another team for ironically the same point you said you want in the next owner which is hiring a top GM candidate.

For example, people who have been covering this sale, some have touted Harris for example because his thing with the 76ers was to hire the best personnel guy he can find.  

Granted looking for the best and landing on the best are two different things.  But among Dan's many flaws is he never gave a rats behind about finding the best GM-personnel people.

Also if the dude running a sports team wanted the best facilities for his sports franchise -- be surprised if they adopt a totally different approach for the next sports franchise they purchase.

To me the wildcards are the ones who have never owned sports teams. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 5

42 minutes ago, actorguy1 said:

Everyone wants Dan gone that’s a given. However, just because someone is not Dan doesn’t mean they are good. This might be the last ownership change in the lifetime of most on this board.

If Dan is the main reason this team has been garbage for over 2 decades as is the consensus, then the new owner matters. It matters significantly, perhaps more than any other factor. 

I want an owner as completely different from Dan as possible. The number one differentiator is resources in my opinion. The resources to invest in the team, facilities and stadium. As well as not needing to gouge the fans on every single item during the game day experience. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Resources matter, but you also want a guy with foresight, vision, and critical thinking skills. That's why I'm okay with Harris. He committed to the 76ers tank and rebuild philosophy when lots of other owners(like the one we have running our NBA team) can't see beyond the mediocrity of the present. 

Fertitta would be awful, buuuut his Rockets did have a nice stretch when he let Daryl Morey run the show. He'd be an upgrade over Snyder, although not as big of one as we'd all like.

Bezos would be the grand slam of all grand slams. 

• Thanks 1

I wouldn’t expect the new owner to get get it right away. They are bound to make mistakes.

The recent new owners: Khan,Haslam,Pegula,Tepper and Walton.

All have made mistakes, even the Waltons who haven’t owned the team for a year. Only the Pegulas have built a consistent winner. Khan May finally have it, after a decade of nothing.

The trick, is if they make mistake early on; they quickly correct it. Pegulas have done that.

Just listened to Adam Epstein, makes spot radio host apperances, long time fan.  Like me he prefers Harris but is cool with Bezos

He repeated something I've heard a bunch of people who are covering the story say which is he heard Rales is plugged in with city politicians in a good way and would be key to get that DC stadium and he's jazzed about that.

Between Rales and Harris wealth, the combination would be one of the wealthiest owners in the league.  So I doubt this team would be poor with them at the helm.  And Dan's problems are so deeper than being cash poor.  IMO that's a minor plot line as for why he stunk as an owner not the main narrative. Heck he didn't start his stewardship cash poor, that was a function of how this team and his other business deals went sour.

As his old buddy lavar Arrington said what did him in more than anything was his personality -- he treated people like crap and it permeated the culture there.   He didn't hire great people and get out of their way.  He interferred with everything and in a bad way.

Wealth alone doesn't move me.  Tepper I believe is the 2nd wealthiest owner in the league, and he hasn't exactly taken the league by storm.  For a new owner, I want class, sports smarts and money.  But I definitely prefer wealth everything being equal.

With Bezos, I can't say for sure he'd spend money hand over fist. history of being known for being frugal makes me pause a little that he'd spend money on this team like its a major passion and labor of love.  I am not saying he won't but there is at least something in his background that makes me pause on the point. 

If the dude was like a Richard Branson type, praised for his personality by most for being a great guy to work for -- I'd be 100% all in on Bezos.  But Bezos has had a zillion mentions, even books written, about how he can be an over the top douche of a personality and a miserable dude to work for.

But I am overlooking all of that for the most part because mainly one point.  I do agree that Bezos likely builds the best stadium.  his ego would be too invested i think to build something "meh".  I got some concerns though that he can secure the land considering he is one of the most polarizing business figures politically. 

Heck part of the narrartive why some don't think Bezos ends up with this team is while some here think he will glady spend whatever it takes to do whatever -- they don't think he will pays hundreds of millions more for the team than the next bidder if that's what it takes.  So for me to be sold on Bezos 100%, right now am at about 90%, ironically it would be him doing what some think here is a slam dunk (but some others covering the story don't see it as a given) and outbids eveyone by a decent margin.

the thought for me is if Bezos does that its a good sign, that he will be what some of his big fans here think he would be and that is a big spender.  I've heard enough where I don't think Bezos is the most likable dude.  But I can swallow that dynamic if he's not in the building much which I suspect would be the case.  And as for the money, for me to be sold, i'd like to see the spending here in action.  So for that reason if he ends up coming in here and outbidding everyone by a decent margin -- i'd see that as a great sign that he likely adapts that style as an owner.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 6

21 minutes ago, 88Comrade2000 said:

I wouldn’t expect the new owner to get get it right away. They are bound to make mistakes.

All have made mistakes, even the Waltons who haven’t owned the team for a year. Only the Pegulas have built a consistent winner. Khan May finally have it, after a decade of nothing.

The trick, is if they make mistake early on; they quickly correct it. Pegulas have done that.

Re: Pegula. Depends who you’re asking… Bills or Sabres fans.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Andre The Giant said:

Interpretation of the WP Article:

Snyder (to NFL Owners): I’m not selling without full indemnification. 

NFL Owners (to Dan):  Not happening.  You have one month to sell or the Mary Jo White report is coming out.  A force-out vote would be next.

NFL Owners (to Dan):  … and the Mary Jo White report will be devastating, and the value of the team will drop $3b … oh, and you’ll still be $1b in debt.

What I don’t understand - and someone please explain this to me - is how a team which the owner has literally destroyed in every way possible, which is mired in complete ownership incompetence, which has decimated its fan base, has won nothing of significance, is under multiple investigations, needs a new stadium, and is rotting from the inside out can be expected to be sold for no less than $6b, when the Denver Broncos, an NFL team with none of these issues and a much more stellar reputation, was sold for less under a year ago.

26 minutes ago, 88Comrade2000 said:

Winning cures everything and they got lucky with Josh Allen, but I'm not too sure the Pegula's are particularly popular over here. They famously said that the wouldn't build a stadium until they started winning. Let's not talk about the Sabres. 

Edited by No Nonsense

26 minutes ago, 88Comrade2000 said:

That's why especially this time of year, you start with a top to bottom audit. Making franchise changing decisions before getting down to the foundation and starting there is bound to come with "mistakes". Hopefully whoever takes over brings in small football lifers to help them in this process instead of turning on sportstalk and doing whatever stupid idea is coming from the Junkies or Grant and Danny on a give week. 

8 minutes ago, Die Hard said:

Re: Pegula. Depends who you’re asking… Bills or Sabres fans.

We are talking about football. What an owner does with other sports teams is secondary. Yeah, if owner is ****ty owner with other sports teams, he may do the same with his football team.  The relevant topic though is what he does with his football team.  The Pegulas turned around a losing franchise, the Bills and made them consistent winners. Now, they haven’t gotten over the hump but at least they get the chance to try. None of the other owners have done that.

1 hour ago, 88Comrade2000 said:

We are talking about football. What an owner does with other sports teams is secondary. Yeah, if owner is ****ty owner with other sports teams, he may do the same with his football team.  The relevant topic though is what he does with his football team.  The Pegulas turned around a losing franchise, the Bills and made them consistent winners. Now, they haven’t gotten over the hump but at least they get the chance to try. None of the other owners have done that.

No, the question is appropriate.

The narrative in Buffalo is that the Pegulas stumbled into Beane almost by accident.

The narrative in Buffalo is that Terry is a football guy and had prioritized one franchise at the expense of another.

And that’s been a big part of the discussion in here.

The Sabres have been a cost-cutting bottom the league cap floor team buying contracts of retired players to reach it. The Sabres cut huge costs during Covid… and Pegula gets an alibi of a rebuild.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, clskinsfan said:

If everything Fertitta touches turns to gold why would he be in a position to draft Wembanyama? The Rockets suck ass. And have the past three seasons. Fertitta took a perennial conference finalist ofr semi finalist and drove it into the ground. No thanks. We already experienced that over the past 25 years.

Wembanyama is a once in a generation talent, considered to be on the level of a LeBron James. That he is in such a good position to get this guy to me would actually indicate competent management. He had initially attempted to piece together multiple superstars to try to compete in a league where only a few teams have a realistic chance every year. Due to chemistry issues, it didn’t quite work out. So the team was dismantled and is currently in a rebuild. This is much preferable than maintaining a mediocre franchise that never acquires a generational talent and instead finishes in the mediocre middle every year (see Wizards). This is very similar to what we’ve seen with our football team in recent times, where mediocre finishes may or may not eke you into the playoffs, but don’t make you a realistic title contender. And at the same time you’re not bad enough to draft that superstar quarterback that is necessary to be one of the elite title contenders year after year. I’m not advocating for Fertitta as owner, but to simply look at the win loss record of the Rockets the last couple years and draw the conclusion that he has done a poor job of management is a major oversimplification in my opinion. I’d much prefer what he is doing with the Rockets then to what we’ve seen with the wizards, and the skins/wft/manders. For me, I f you’re not great, it’s better to completely suck than be stuck in the mediocre middle. This is true in the NFL, but even more so in the NBA.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, actorguy1 said:

You will not find me ranking new owner candidates. How someone can decide how good a new owner of the Commanders would be based on how they run a business or how they run a team in another sport is beyond me. As long as an owner is willing to hire the most talented up and coming GM candidate and have enough liquidity to give big signing bonuses is all I need.

I have read this part over 20 times and must be missing something.

What I'm interpreting is, "You can't judge a prospective owner of a sports team by how he runs a sports team.  Also, if the owner is hiring the best GM and has enough to give big signing bonuses, then he'll be a good owner.  But just because he does or doesn't with a current team is not a reliable indicator of if he'll do it with this team."

I'm stumped.  Could you paraphrase?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, NewCliche21 said:

I have read this part over 20 times and must be missing something.

What I'm interpreting is, "You can't judge a prospective owner of a sports team by how he runs a sports team.  Also, if the owner is hiring the best GM and has enough to give big signing bonuses, then he'll be a good owner.  But just because he does or doesn't with a current team is not a reliable indicator of if he'll do it with this team."

I'm stumped.  Could you paraphrase?

Judging how a potential football owner will do based on past success/failure with either a business or as owner of a team in another sport is not going to give you accurate results, nor allow someone to rank him higher than other bidders, as far as I'm concerned. It's the ability to identify and hire a football mind that is incredible at roster building/staff hiring and having enough cash around to pay exorbitant signing bonuses when the coaches want to sign a tier A free agent. 

• Like 1

Guys... I didn't realize Fertitta literally owns Morton's. We could finally sign Eddie Royal! I'm now all-in on Till-man.

Side note, he also owns Mastro's, and the Penthouse at the Beverly Hills Mastro's is indeed one of my favorite places in LA. He might be our guy!

• Haha 5
  • Thumb up 1

1 hour ago, CapsSkins said:

Guys... I didn't realize Fertitta literally owns Morton's. We could finally sign Eddie Royal! I'm now all-in on Till-man.

Side note, he also owns Mastro's, and the Penthouse at the Beverly Hills Mastro's is indeed one of my favorite places in LA. He might be our guy!

The Mastro’s Ocean Club in Newport Coast is pretty great too. Although since he took over through the Landry’s acquisition it’s gotten a little cheesy with the upsell they try to do on the menu items. But still a great restaurant. The seafood tower and steaks are top notch.

I’m  sure the club level at a new stadium would be ridiculously nice if he was the winner. He would probably put in a lounge like Vegas and Dallas as well. I would 100% support that.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 2