Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

New OC Thread (Welcome Aboard Eric Bieniemy!)

samy316

4 minutes ago, Zim489 said:

Shady played for a long time as a good player

He was benched because he stared fumbling and has an ax to grind.  

Shrug.  Both Reid and Mahomes have said glowing things about EB and both are headed to the HOF.

We’ll see how it plays out, but I believe 2 guys on the current team more than a guy who was cut who seems to be mad at his old position coach. 

4 minutes ago, yankstrat said:

Any word on EB's staff?  Will he be bringing anyone from KC?  I know its only been a few days, but I was hoping to see some staff additions.

Nothing yet I’ve heard.  My guess is they set the presser for Thursday so it could get worked out this week.  

• Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1

7 minutes ago, yankstrat said:

Any word on EB's staff?  Will he be bringing anyone from KC?  I know its only been a few days, but I was hoping to see some staff additions.

I'm guessing after his press conference on Thursday, YS.  

8 minutes ago, KWilliamsAWinfield said:

It is doubtful Eric would bring anyone from a Superbowl winning team into this mess that the Redskins are in right now

Disagree.  Two names to watch for are these from the Chiefs:  David Girardi PASS GAME ANALYST AND ASSISTANT QUARTERBACKS and Connor Embree OFFENSIVE QUALITY CONTROL.  

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, RWJ said:

Disagree.  Two names to watch for are these from the Chiefs:  David Girardi PASS GAME ANALYST AND ASSISTANT QUARTERBACKS and Connor Embree OFFENSIVE QUALITY CONTROL.  

EB coached with Connor Embree’s dad at Colorado. Cooley is a big time fan of Connor’s dad Jon who was one of his TE coaches here 

Edited by method man
  • Like 4

14 hours ago, NewCliche21 said:

@Skinsinparadise I think it's hard for non-parents, especially those who live in the DC area, to understand this literal existential crisis of fanhood.

I live in the Philly area, my kids are 7 and 5, and they both almost saw exactly what I saw when I was that age: One Super Bowl (XXII) I could barely remember, and one Super Bowl (XXVI) I enjoyed every minute of.  Except for the enemy.

I *NEED* us to turn around. It's attrition, as you said, for some.  Almost like a slow creep.  But as a parent outside of DC?  It's the precipice of the last fingernail hold.  It's THAT bad.  We need to turn it around or this massive part of my relationship that I've been dreaming of for decades is done.

I’ve been a Washington fan since the 80’s.  My dad got me into it.  I sure miss watching those games with him and my brother, Dad passsed away,  My kids grew up fans and now my grandchildren are just getting old enough to get excited.  We just keep cheering them on.

10 hours ago, Llevron said:

I was gonna choose the knife fight but now not so sure….

I’ll come for support, but I’ll be eating my pancakes during the excitement.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, duffy said:

Just curious. Would anyone here prefer Zampese or Roman over Benineminy? I certainly wouldn't. I'm excited to see what EB can do with our offense. 

As someone who isn't high on EB, I'd say probably not. It's a low risk move because of the ownership change.

I'd have preferred Llynn over those three, but not by much.

I was all about the Johnsons. Either of them, but we couldn't get them out of their own houses. :D

Move Ron to FO and hire Ben from detroit, but he stayed there or Hire Brian away from the Eagles and promote to OC, which he got staying in Philly.

I think next season that's the two biggest names to watch. 

• Like 1

If it was someone other than McCoy I'd take it more seriously.  But he's been relentless attacking Eric B.   KC reporter talked about it, McCoy sour about his benching in KC.

Beyond that the KC reporter sasid most players love Eric B, but there were some exceptions.  Issue is most love the hard coaching, some straggers do not.

Listening to him, the description felt a lot like Gregg Williams.  Most players loved him but a few couldn't stand him.  Hard coaching.  There was a long ESPN article that came out when his defense had a down year and was attacked by a player or two.   Some of this players, including a retired one defended Gregg after that.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 3
  • Thumb up 1

10 hours ago, SoCalSkins said:

Regardless of which it is, he needs to surround himself with coaching talent. Part of that 2 day negotiating period should have been for a large assistant coaching budget pool. All the good coaches have a ton of talent running the rooms with the position groups and a lot of up and coming talent as assistants and quality control coaches. I like Zampeze but that’s going to be his critical decision as to who is the QB coach going into year 1 with basically a rookie QB. If we are losing our WR coach to Arizona then he better have a talented one lined up there as well. How well this goes will be impacted by the entire staff and not just himself and hopefully he doesn’t try to do it all himself. 

That may be tough because there’s no way to guarantee that assistants are let out of their current contracts. Or that they wouldn’t be more leery of our ownership/coaching staff situation than Bieniemy was. Making a risky choice for your own potential upside gain is one thing, expecting others to jump with you is another—if their current teams even allow it.

I’m with you though, hope he’s able to fully build the offensive staff in his image. Just don’t know how likely it is.

• Like 1

Listening to the guy on Sheehan who does the Chiefs postgames talk about Bieineimy.

He's the most effusive one yet about Bieiniemy.  Thinks its the hire of the off season.  "tremendous hire"

He thinks he has a borderline photographic memory who can recite plays from previous game plans off the top of his head.

Mahomes and Reid swear by him. 

He's extremely motivated to succeed.   Likes the whole context for him to succeed.

Expects him to succeed and then get a HC job.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

If it was someone other than McCoy I'd take it more seriously.  But he's been relentless attacking Eric B.   KC reporter talked about it, McCoy sour about his benching in KC.

This is what I thought of immediately when I saw his comments:

“I called Joe Gibbs a coward for leaving,” Arrington said, per the Washington Times. “You came in, you made some money for your NASCAR team. No one else is going to say that. I’m sure more people thought I was a [jerk] for saying that. Joe wouldn’t call me because he knows. There are a lot of people who know the truth about what went down with me and the Redskins.”

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

He's extremely motivated to succeed.   Likes the whole context for him to succeed.

Expects him to succeed and then get a HC job.

Supposing EB does a fantastic job here. Gets hired as a HC next year, Ron stays on because Commanders had a good year. Anyone on the current staff that you see could learn EB's offense to the point they could step into his shoes next year? Lot of "what if's" but curious how this would work out. Would be preferable not to bring in someone from the outside if there is someone already on staff that could take the playbook and run with it, already familiar with the philosophy and the players. Not to mention the players would not have to learn another playbook.

6 minutes ago, Chris 44 said:

Supposing EB does a fantastic job here. Gets hired as a HC next year, Ron stays on because Commanders had a good year. Anyone on the current staff that you see could learn EB's offense to the point they could step into his shoes next year? Lot of "what if's" but curious how this would work out. Would be preferable not to bring in someone from the outside if there is someone already on staff that could take the playbook and run with it, already familiar with the philosophy and the players. Not to mention the players would not have to learn another playbook.

Have to see who EB hires.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Beyond that the KC reporter sasid most players love Eric B, but there were some exceptions.  Issue is most love the hard coaching, some straggers do not.

Listening to him, the description felt a lot like Gregg Williams.  Most players loved him but a few couldn't stand him.  Hard coaching.  There was a long ESPN article that came out when his defense had a down year and was attacked by a player or two.   Some of this players, including a retired one defended Gregg after that.

I remember that one written by Tom Friend

Bottom line is the dude must be exceptional in terms of ability to get an OC role. RB coach is the position coach least represented among OC ranks

• Like 3

Just now, HigSkin said:

FWIW - John Keim on The Junkies this morning was asked about expected EB staff and said beyond a tweak here or there he doesn't see any major changes to the offensive staff coming.

Yeah the longer this has gone on, the more I’ve thought that was likely. Just tough to steal assistants (especially this late in the process) from other teams when you’re relying on their goodwill to let those coaches out of their contracts to join you. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Conn said:

Yeah the longer this has gone on, the more I’ve thought that was likely. Just tough to steal assistants (especially this late in the process) from other teams when you’re relying on their goodwill to let those coaches out of their contracts to join you. 

I've always liked most of our offensive staff, especially Matsko and Zampese. He will need to find a new WR coach.

• Like 1